Doyle rumor

Faust

Aug 12, 2003, 3:32:52 AM8/12/03
Not sure if this has come up before, but I hadn't heard it...

In Kerrang! (Volume 1, Issue 9 - think it is the aussie version) there is
the a list of the "50 Greatest Rock Disasters". Here is #28:

Misfits man kills fan: The year was 1982. The Misfits were playing a show
in San Francisco and everything was about to turn to shit. Fear had been on
stage giving it large about how everyone in San Francisco was a "homo" and a
"queer", and the locals were getting just a tad restless. By the time the
Misfits took to the stage, the crowd had taken to throwing full beer cans at
the band. After a spell of this, the band became equally narked. Guitarist
Doyle took off his guitar, lifted it high and brought it crashing down onto
the head of one member of the audience. The blow killed him. Doyle was
arrested and charged with manslaughter- yet served no time for his crime.
Not very funny, we'll grant you, but a disaster nonetheless.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? Wouldn't that suck being smacked up side the
head by Doyle and his bass? It reminds me something that happened at a
Mayhem concert in Norway earlier this year. The vocalist threw a sheep's
head (or maybe pig's) into the crowd and it knocked some poor kid out and
gave him a concussion. That one hits home for me because I've narrowly
missed the pig's head at a Mayhem gig myself.

A lot of the other top 50 are things that I've heard before and know to be
true (some of my favourites being Peter Steele on the cover of Playgirl, the
guy who was arrested for wearing the Cradle of Filth "Jesus is a Cunt"
t-shirt, and the riot that ensued when Fear Factory didn't show up for their
concert at UNSW in Sydney Australia (my university)).

Anyway, this news group seems to have picked up a bit over the last little
while, which is a good thing, I guess.... Any other Misfits rumors out
there?

fearlesshero

Aug 12, 2003, 12:00:58 PM8/12/03
from Flipside #36, December 1982

Ok, all you people are out there bitching about how fucked the Misfits are -
but do you bother to ask their side of the story? Nooooooo, you just kick
them when they're down like the mindless geeks you pretend to be so against.
Shit, haven't you ever been pissed off! It's not the first time someone ever
hit anyone with a guitar, like when Sid did it, it was cool, right? Well
here's a chat with the Misfits on that particular subject. If you are the
kid who got hit, we'd like to hear your side of the story, but that's all -
no more eyewitness accounts because that's just stirring up the mud.

Al: So what happened that night?

Glen: Well basically it's just that... that... it got really out of hand.
For ALL the bands on the bill. They were throwing beer cans at us, and our
drummer jumped into the audience and a lot of kids jumped on top of him. It
was either break it up or fuck our tour, so you know, that was the course we
took.

Al: And there was an el Cabong, was that really necessary?

Glen: Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, what would anybody else do in that
situation? It's a split second thing. That whole situation was fucked. We
did the whole country and we come here and they think it's the cool thing to
throw beer cans. It happened to all the bands, Fear went up there and got a
lot of shit, you know, we don't take that kind of shit. We don't care what
anybody else thinks, it's just what we do, if we don't want anybody throwing
shit at us that's it, fine, what do I give two fucks if that makes us rock
art or something, we don't care. Well they say it's not that we like you or
not but here in Frisco we throw beer cans at everybody, well fuck you. Not
empty beer cans either, that's still fucked, but full ones.

Al: Doyle (Doyle did the deed), what was that particular doing?

Doyle: He was fucking with us that's all.

Glen: He (Googy) was going down, there were just like fists all over we did
get a lot of support after the gig, no matter what you read in all the
yellow journalism magazines, there were just like 20-25 assholes who wanted
to fuck with us, who wanted to fuck with anybody that night. They fucked
with the other bands and the other bands just did their set, fine. Now if
Googy didn't jump in, but Googy did jump in because he got pissed off at
some beer can and it was not cool enough to have just that one person fight
with him, a little riot had to develop.

Al: Well that kid was an instigator...

Doyle: Fuck he was the one that started it...(garbled)...

Glen: There's a lot of shit that goes with it, with that contingent, like
rumors that we raped a 13 year old girl at gunpoint, all this other
bullshit...

Al: Is there still a lawsuit against you guys?

Glen: No, I talked to someone about it last night and they said the lady was
just forgetting it. If anything did happen we might have had to pay for the
hospital bills but even then they have to sue the club first I think. That
guy who just put us on at Florentine, (Wes) told us that they have to sue
him. And they don't really have a case because the kid was provoking the
band by throwing beer cans. I forget what the law term is called, but anyway
it's old shit. We've only gotten two bad letters about it, the rest have
been more T-shirt orders. A lot of guys hit people in the head with guitars
it's just that night - I'm not saying it's cool to hit people with guitars -
we were just singled out for it. I mean Johnny Thunders killed somebody with
his guitar, and Flipper, Frisco's heartthrob had just hit somebody with a
guitar just before we got there. I don't know why we were singled out, maybe
because we're form N.Y. Saying "it smells of record company" when we give
out buttons and shit we pay for that ourselves, we paint our amps, we pay
for that, WHAT record company? Slash has done nothing for us but put the
album out, we recorded it, it's bullshit.

Al: I guess you saw that cartoon in Maximum Rock and Roll.

Doyle: I thought it was cool.

Glen: Yeah, at least we got dicks instead of cunts ya know!

Al: Ok, enough, hey Robo!! How do you like the Misfits?

Robo: Great band, really good band. I'm really glad I'm in it.

Al: That's it.

Robo: That's it.

Al: Are you gonna grow a Devil Lock?

Robo: Well if it grows it grows!

Al: Are they different from Black Flag?

Robo: A bit yeah.

Al: Like how?

Robo: Song-wise, but it's still energy...

Al: No more break-neck touring...

Robo: Well we haven't done too much heavy touring YET, but we plan to. At
this point we have to start touring to survive.

Doyle: Yeah, everybody now is not working.

Glen: This is like our first big tour where we don't just hit one region and
then go home. Tell all the fiend club members that that live EP will be out
really soon, soon as we get back we'll have some money.

Al: How many in the fiend club?

Glen: Last time you said 100 and it was like 500, and there's a lot more now
so it's getting hectic - that's another thing, I don't know who hates us in
Frisco cause all's we get is t-shirt orders!

Al: Is Robo doing good?

Glen: Oh yeah! Except "Robo, four beats instead of three!" (laughter)

Al: Most drummers are never even noticed, but Robo is like...

Glen: We played in D.C. before Robo and this kid jumps on stage and opens
his jacket and his shirt says "Robo is God" and then he jumps down!
(laughter and hysteria, Robo turns red)

Al: Why Robo why?

Robo: I don't know. There's a Robo fan club in uh Lansing! (more laughter)

Glen: It's his shorts. We never even thought of getting Robo as a drummer,
Black Flag had suggested it but I thought he gave up drumming. Then one day
I got this phone call "Waas goeing ahn". (more laughter) So we flew him out
and that was it, it's working out good. (The rest of this interview was talk
about George Germain - which is quite a long story - you would have to ask
the Misfits.)

"Faust" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

Anders Hedman

Aug 15, 2003, 1:16:47 PM8/15/03

"fearlesshero" <

I mean Johnny Thunders killed somebody with
> his guitar,

OK, so Doyle didn't kill anybody then. The question that arises is however:
Did Johnny Thunders really kill anybody with his guitar?

orgone

Aug 15, 2003, 2:06:24 PM8/15/03
>The question that arises is however:
>Did Johnny Thunders really kill anybody with his guitar?

who cares about some overrated dead junkie?

- work * buy * consume * die -

RamysteinSS

Aug 15, 2003, 5:29:03 PM8/15/03
>who cares about some overrated dead junkie?

I say that every time someone says how they loved Sid Vicious. what'd he do?
Get fucked up and make a mess outta himself while fucking up every song? I
dunno. I just think he's overated too.

I could get fucked up and actually play the songs for the most part,
Ramystein

fearlesshero

Aug 15, 2003, 11:28:15 PM8/15/03
yes, he did - a loooonnnggg time ago...

"Anders Hedman" <soulstrippe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

orgone

Aug 16, 2003, 1:30:53 PM8/16/03
>yes, he did - a loooonnnggg time ago...

really? i thought he just passed out and fell off the stage.