Lisa Marie Presley dies at 54 after suffering cardiac arrest, family says

Fujikawa Yamamoto

Jan 12, 2023, 10:04:12 PM1/12/23
Lisa Marie Presley, singer and only child of Elvis, has died at 54 after
being hospitalized for cardiac arrest, her mother Priscilla Presley said.

“It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my
beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us,” Priscilla Presley said in a
statement Thursday evening. “She was the most passionate, strong and
loving woman I have ever known.”

Presley was taken to hospital Thursday after suffering full cardiac
arrest, multiple news outlets are reporting. Presley’s mother, Pricilla
Presley, also confirmed she was in the hospital and receiving care.

Priscilla Presley
@Cilla_Presley
·
Follow
My beloved daughter Lisa Marie was rushed to the hospital. She is now
receiving the best care. Please keep her and our family in your prayers.
We feel the prayers from around the world, and ask for privacy during this
time.
-Priscilla Presley

<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmTrECSacAA1Y7l?format=jpg&name=small>

A police spokesperson told Entertainment Tonight that police were called
to Presley’s Los Angeles home Thursday morning. When they arrived, they
found paramedics working on Presley, 54, who was experiencing cardiac
arrest.

The spokesperson confirmed that paramedics were able to help Presley
regain a pulse before she was taken to a nearby hospital.

According to Craig Little, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Fire
Department, paramedics were dispatched to a Calabasas home at 10:37 a.m.
following the report of a woman in full cardiac arrest. Property records
indicate Presley was a resident at that address.

Paramedics arrived about six minutes later and Presley was taken by
ambulance to the hospital, Little said. Her condition was not immediately
available.

The city of Calabasas is nestled between the foothills of the Santa Monica
and Santa Susanna mountains about 50 kilometres northwest of downtown Los
Angeles.

TMZ, which first reported the news, said paramedics performed CPR.

Her condition remains unclear and a rep for Presley told Deadline they
have “no comment at this time.”

The songwriter’s health emergency comes just two days after Presley – the
daughter of Priscilla Presley and the late Elvis Presley – attended the
Golden Globe Awards to watch Austin Butler win the award for Best
Performance in a Motion Picture (Drama) for his role as the late King of
Rock ‘n’ Roll.

She praised the actor’s portrayal, telling ET that after watching the
biopic, “I didn’t really know what to do with myself.”

“I had to take, like, five days to process it because it was so incredible
and so spot-on and just so authentic that, yeah, I can’t even describe
what it meant.”

Just days before that, she was in Memphis, Tennessee, at Graceland — the
mansion where Elvis lived — to celebrate her father’s birth anniversary on
Jan. 8.

Presley had recently penned an essay published in People about “the
horrific reality” of her grief following her son Benjamin Keough’s death
by suicide in 2020. Presley is also the mother of actor Riley Keough and
twin daughters.

“I’ve dealt with death, grief and loss since the age of 9 years old. I’ve
had more than anyone’s fair share of it in my lifetime and somehow, I’ve
made it this far,” she wrote in August.

Presley released her own rock albums in the 2000s and appeared on stage
with celebrities like Pat Benatar and Richard Hawley during her musical
career.

She also formed direct musical ties with her father, joining her voice to
such Elvis recordings as “Don’t Cry Daddy,” a mournful ballad which had
reminded him of the early death of his mother — and Lisa Marie’s
grandmother — Gladys Presley.

When Elvis died at the age of 42 in August 1977, Lisa Marie was nine years
old. She was staying Graceland at the time and would recall him kissing
her goodnight hours before he would collapse and never recover. When she
next saw him, the following day, he was lying face down in the bathroom.

“I just had a feeling,” she told Rolling Stone in 2003. “He wasn’t doing
well. All I know is I had it (a feeling), and it happened. I was obsessed
with death at a very early age.”

After her father died, Lisa Marie became the sole heir of the Elvis
Presley Trust. Along with Elvis Presley Enterprises, the trust managed
Graceland and other assets until she sold her majority interest in 2005.
She retained ownership of Graceland Mansion itself, the 13 acres around it
and items inside the home. Her son is buried there, along with her father
and other members of the Presley family.

Lisa Marie and her mother would often make regular trips to Graceland
during huge fan celebrations on the anniversaries of Elvis’ death and
birthday.

One of the two airplanes at Graceland is also named Lisa Marie.

Lisa Marie would later make headlines of her own. Struggles with drugs and
some very public marriages. Her four husbands included Michael Jackson and
Nicolas Cage.

Lisa Marie also became involved in numerous humanitarian causes, from
anti-poverty programs administered through the Elvis Presley Charitable
Foundation to relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina. She would receive
formal citations from New Orleans and Memphis, Tennessee for her work.

— with files from The Associated Press

<https://globalnews.ca/news/9406904/lisa-marie-presley-cardiac-arrest/>

BTR1701

Jan 12, 2023, 10:33:42 PM1/12/23
In article <0F0AF8AC1FCB...@trafiken.solnastad.se>,
Fujikawa Yamamoto <nos...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Lisa Marie Presley, singer and only child of Elvis, has died at 54 after
> being hospitalized for cardiac arrest, her mother Priscilla Presley said.
>
> “It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my
> beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us,” Priscilla Presley said in a
> statement Thursday evening. “She was the most passionate, strong and
> loving woman I have ever known.”
>
> Presley was taken to hospital Thursday after suffering full cardiac
> arrest, multiple news outlets are reporting. Presley’s mother, Pricilla
> Presley, also confirmed she was in the hospital and receiving care.

Lot of otherwise healthy people falling out with heart attacks lately...

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2023, 1:43:04 AM1/13/23
I got the news about five minutes ago that somebody I’ve worked with on and
off for more than 20 years, younger than me, as far as I knew in OK health,
just dropped dead of a massive heart attack.