silent mandolins, electric mandolins

Jaroslav Dobrek

Feb 8, 2011, 3:50:05 AM2/8/11

I am looking for a silent mandolin. There are silent violins, cellos,
guitars, banjos and even ukuleles. But I didn't find any silent
mandolins on the net.

Are electric mandolins such as the Epiphone Mandobird VIII silent
enough to practice in the middle of the night without disturbing
anyone?

Are there perhaps silent mandolins that are no longer built but that
might still be available on Ebay or similar shops?

Jaroslav

ERSHC

Feb 8, 2011, 4:34:42 AM2/8/11
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 00:50:05 -0800 (PST), Jaroslav Dobrek
<jarosla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are electric mandolins such as the Epiphone Mandobird VIII silent
> enough to practice in the middle of the night without disturbing
> anyone?
>
> Are there perhaps silent mandolins that are no longer built but that
> might still be available on Ebay or similar shops?

I've got a solid body electric mando that is as quiet as a solid body
electric guitar; that is, not silent, but certainly quiet enough that
I don't wake anyone. I usually practise with a small amp and
headphones. This is a five-string (CGDAE) but the guy who made it will
also do more traditional 8 strings.

A web search for Elloree Mandolin will turn up Rick Felkel.

The Epiphone is a sold body, so probably just as quiet (except for the
double strings?)

flebow

Feb 8, 2011, 11:32:25 AM2/8/11
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 00:50:05 -0800 (PST), Jaroslav Dobrek
<jarosla...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you can get to facebook
Go to Nabdolin Club
There is a silent mand0 advertised

Fred

Jaroslav Dobrek

Feb 9, 2011, 3:40:57 AM2/9/11
On 8 Feb., 17:32, flebow <le...@highaltitudes.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 00:50:05 -0800 (PST), Jaroslav Dobrek
>
> <jaroslav.dob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >I am looking for a silent mandolin. There are silent violins, cellos,
> >guitars, banjos and even ukuleles. But I didn't find any silent
> >mandolins on the net.
>
> >Are electric mandolins such as the Epiphone Mandobird VIII silent
> >enough to practice in the middle of the night without disturbing
> >anyone?
>
> >Are there perhaps silent mandolins that are no longer built but that
> >might still be available on Ebay or similar shops?
>
> >Jaroslav
>
> If you can get to facebook
> Go to Nabdolin Club
> There is a silent mand0 advertised
>
> Fred

Thanks for the tip. You probably referred to this mandolin:

http://usagiya.qee.jp/

Unfortunately the site is in Japanese only. And even when they create
an English version of the site (as has been announced on Facebook), I
would hesitate to send round about 500 Euros (for the instrument and
the shipping) to some unknown person in Japan.

Jaroslav Dobrek

Feb 21, 2011, 6:27:46 AM2/21/11
I contacted the manager of this site:

> http://usagiya.qee.jp/

He asked me to wait one month for an English website about their
silent mandolin. He said that shipping to Germany (where I live) would
cost 10.150 JPY and that I could pay by PayPal.

In the end, I bought the Epiphone Mandobird VIII. I am quite content
with it. It is technically o.k., costs only 189 EUR and it is quiet
enough to practice at any time. (No, Epiphone does not pay me to say
this.)

The main criterion for me was that I can send it back in the first 14
days, if I don't like it (according to German law).

Jaroslav