Suggestions for a mandolin?

rfd...@optonline.net

Feb 11, 2011, 6:34:51 PM2/11/11
Hi. I've been a guitar and banjo player for about fifty years. I'm more into
folk as far as playing but I like all kinds of music. I've had an Epiphone
mandolin that was given to me as a gift years ago, but never played it as I
could never get it set up properly. Can't adjust the bridge, it buzzes, it was a
waste of the money my friend spent on it, which I'm sure wasn't much. Now I'm
thinking I'd like to buy myself a mandolin to try and learn. I don't want to
spend a whole lot in case it doesn't pan out. Does anyone have any suggestions
as to a beginners model? I'm good for maybe up to $300 or so. And if it matters,
I kind of like the ones that don't look like a tear drop. I think it's called an
F style? Thanks for any help.

TomfromTexas

Feb 12, 2011, 2:32:52 PM2/12/11

<rfd...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Well, to begin with the teardrop shaped body is called an A model.
Mandolins come with either oval hole top or f-hole top. The bluegrassers
are almost exclusively Fmodel body with the curlique and f-hole soundholes.
Irish and folkies tend to the A model with oval soundhole.

Yall might try the Kentucky mandolins, some like the Eastmans and Loars.
For me, I like the Kentucky and Loar but not the Eastman. On the Kentucky,
the low end models that have an S in the model number are solid top. Might
try the pawnshops for better deals but if ye want service and setup, stick
with a good instrument shop.

--
Tom from Texas
(The Tom Risner Fund for Deserving North Texas Guitarplayers is not liable

Bill Graham

Aug 4, 2013, 7:55:48 PM8/4/13
And then there is the banjo mandolin, which gives it a lot of, "punch" with
that big banjo sound.... Great for the dixieland crowd....:^)