E.F. Dean Flute?

Gary Morrison

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

My girlfriend chanced upon a flute by E. F. Dean, and she found it to
be "effortless" to play. In short, she likes it a lot.

The question that remains about it is who this E. F. Dean is? Anybody
know what kind of reputation he has? In particular, it's model #5370.

Thanks y'all!

Joe Sax

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97
to mr8...@texas.net

Hi Gary,
E.F.Dean is a "stencil" brand of a Taiwanese-made flute.
Distributed by Custom Music, then by successor.
Joe Sax

petergru...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 10:27:16 AM11/21/18
On Friday, September 19, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Gary Morrison wrote:
> My girlfriend chanced upon a flute by E. F. Dean, and she found it to
> be "effortless" to play. In short, she likes it a lot.
>
> The question that remains about it is who this E. F. Dean is? Anybody
> know what kind of reputation he has? In particular, it's model #5370.
>
> Thanks y'all!

The Dean Yang family has been making musical instruments in Taiwan for more than 25 years.
Around 1980, Dean formed a company called EF Dean Flutemakers and began making flutes for distribution in North America. The "E" stood for Ervin Monroe, Principal flute of the Detroit Symphony, who contributed as the design consultant, the "F" was for Fred Marrich, of Custom Music, which was the distributor, and Dean for Dean Yang.
In 1995, Ervin Monroe took over the distributorship from Custom Music and the flute is now distributed through Mr. Monroe's company, Little Piper. The flute was then re-named the Dean Yang flute.
Dean Yang is now deceased and his wife and family currently run the company that makes the flutes.
Dean Yang flutes are primarily made in Taiwan and the headjoints are finished in Michigan.

I personally own several EF Dean flutes and find them to be amazing for the price. The response and mechanism are equal to what you see with the present Dean Yang Emerald series. If you chance on one, grab it!