New flute player gets chin rash?

MusicGroove2000

Sep 25, 2004, 2:00:31 PM9/25/04
My 10-year-old daughter (who's never played a wind instrument before)
recently began playing a brand-new, fresh-from-the-factory Selmer flute.
Unfortunately, very soon after beginning what appears to be some sort of skin
rash or reaction developed below her lower lip.
I contacted the music store which sold me the instrument and the only thing
they could think of as an explanation was that she's allergic to the polish on
the mouthpiece of the instrument.
Have any of the experienced players here ever heard of such a situation? Any
ideas as to what the cause of the skin problem might be and methods of solving
the problem short of permanently discontinuing playing the instrument, whch she
loves?
Thanks in advance.

Stephen Howard

Sep 25, 2004, 5:03:40 PM9/25/04
On 25 Sep 2004 18:00:31 GMT, musicgr...@aol.com (MusicGroove2000)
wrote:

Flutes are generally silver plated or nickel plated.
Allergic reactions to nickel are not uncommon, resulting in the
symptoms you describe.
However, it's entirely possible for silver to cause the same reaction
in some people.

I think it highly unlikely that the rash is due to any polish
residues.

There's little you can do to prevent a rash if the player has an
allergy, short of avoiding contact with the metal. To this end some
players stick a piece of fabric plaster dressing on the lip plate,
which prevents any major skin contact in that area.
Even plain old masking tape would do.

Other options include replacing the head for one plated with another
metal, or having the lip plate flashed with a gold plate ( not as
expensive as it sounds ).
Alteratively, have a repairer spray a coat of clear lacquer on the lip
plate ( you could do this yourself, though you must be careful to mask
the rest of the head joint and the chimney..the bit you actually blow
across. You'd need to degrease the area first - lighter fluid would be
ideal for the task ).
This would be a temporary fix though, as the lacquer would wear off in
time and need to be reapplied.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

BREWERPAUL

Sep 26, 2004, 6:57:44 AM9/26/04
One other thing for a new flute player to consider is saliva... make sure she
keeps her lower lip nice and dry when she plays since excess moisture between
her lip and the plate for long periods of time could cause irritation.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

monke...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 9:59:07 PM7/7/15
I play the flute and after playing for 3 years just recently it started happening. I would get a rash under my lower lip. I would stop playing for a week or two and hope if I let it breathe for a while it would stop coming back. But I would play and it would happen all over again. Hydrocortisone cream or anti fungal cream helps it go away. One way that helps is to clean the head piece with alcohol and make sure you lip stays dry through out playing such as wiping Your lip with a tissue, try to take breaks in between letting it breathe helps. Also putting tape on the head joint can also help. Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is.

Fred McKenzie

Jul 8, 2015, 5:07:14 PM7/8/15
In article <d6d90a74-b7db-4696...@googlegroups.com>,
Monkey5846-

I wonder how many of the original posters will read our replies after
eleven years?

I think MusicGroove2000's idea about an allergy is the most likely cause
of the rash. I had a similar problem with nickel-plated eyeglass
frames. I switched to stainless steel frames and the rash went away.

The suggestion to have the lip plate flashed with a gold sounds like a
good thing to try, but might decrease the value of the instrument if it
was not done well.

Application of lacquer might work. When it wears off, the rash will
return, and you can redo it. Clear fingernail polish might also work,
and can be removed with polish remover if it gets messy.

Fred
Message has been deleted

stormri...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2016, 6:43:32 PM8/11/16
Every time I play my flute it gives me a rash. So I tried many different things washing it, lip blams,etc. Nothing worked I soon found out I was alergic to the metal. I new i had a small jewlry alergie but never thought it would effect my music dreams. I did some reasearch and found that silver paint tape would work. It would cover the metal, blend with my flute,last long,and is inexspensive. So now I dont have to cive up my dream of being a musician!😂😁

stormri...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2016, 6:43:33 PM8/11/16

mackenziehe...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2018, 6:55:18 PM6/1/18
I am not experienced. Nor do I know what is causing this. I am sorry but I don't know. Maybe they are allergic to silver? I don't know. I have the same thing happen. Let me know if you find the answer!

Fred McKenzie

Jun 2, 2018, 12:55:36 PM6/2/18
In article <fc32fefc-7c79-4b33...@googlegroups.com>,
Mackenzieheathernrtmrt-

MusicGroove2000's daughter is 23 years old now! It will be interesting
if they come across your request and can provide an answer.

Sensitivity to contact with some metals is not unusual. Nickel allergy
is likely to by involved with your problem, since nickel is used in many
musical instruments.

Instruments that are silver plated may have nickel underneath that can
cause a problem when the silver wears down. However it can take several
years for enough silver to wear away.