Band names

Chris Johnson

Jan 3, 2005, 11:15:09 AM1/3/05
Trying to figure out a new band name. We kicked out the bass player and
somehow he ended up using the name- now I've been going nuts for weeks
trying to come up with a new one. Needs to be cool but not offensive. Clever
but not cute. Something that works for bars and pubs but can still use with
the agency that books us for more upscale gigs.

I cant believe how hard this is. Every one we come up with I Google and
there's always someone, somewhere already using it. Sheesh

Of course I've been thru this before, but Google wasn't around then and I
just used whatever sounded good and I'd never heard of. This world is
getting too small in some ways. I mean, it's pretty unlikely that some
obscure band from Bumfuck, Iowa is gonna find out or care if I take their
name, but I may as well try to be original...

Chris.

dickydoo

Jan 3, 2005, 2:25:43 PM1/3/05
<snip>

Every one we come up with I Google and
there's always someone, somewhere already using it. "Sheesh"

--------

Joe L

Jan 3, 2005, 2:32:36 PM1/3/05
Maybe use a combination of your names, at least that way if there is any
duplication it's not your fault since you didn't 'chose' your own name. For
example if your drummer is Bob Huge you could use his last name followed by
yours. ;-)

I just wouldn't use the 'Bumfuck' one though, lol.

Joe L

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> wrote in message

na

Jan 3, 2005, 2:38:19 PM1/3/05
How about:

God Giveth & The Chinese Take Away?

--
Best,
Nick A

Chaz

Jan 3, 2005, 2:51:21 PM1/3/05
How about "Bassless Rumours"

Chaz

na

Jan 3, 2005, 2:55:43 PM1/3/05
LOL! Not bad...how about:

Bear Love Exchange

Knob Rot

Plastic Canyon

The Lazy "Y"

Frozen Rope

Jive Juice

The Lonely Asparagus

The Salamander Routine

The Metaphysical Flag Quartet

;-0)

"Chaz" <thecha...@copper.net> wrote in message

Jim Davidson

Jan 3, 2005, 3:04:16 PM1/3/05
In article <FYgCd.4699$mo2.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Yep.

I hate my bands name. I didn't think of it, I never liked it. I've been
stuck sorta with it for 10 years. The goof that did think of it got
kicked out of the group in year one before I inherited the outfit. But
we had jobs and weren't headed to the big time, so it didn't seem to
matter.

A better way, in my duo, we go by our two first names. That is so easy.

When this current band fizzles, I'll never pick a band name again. I'll
use some version of my and the other members names.

jim d

dickydoo

Jan 3, 2005, 3:48:49 PM1/3/05
Best one I ever heard was "Throbbing Gristle".

na

Jan 3, 2005, 3:56:55 PM1/3/05

"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> Best one I ever heard was "Throbbing Gristle".

LOL!

I was in a band once( and only once!) called "Lubricated Goat".

Boyd Williamson

Jan 3, 2005, 4:40:18 PM1/3/05
in article bO6dnc0Qrpo...@comcast.com, Chris Johnson at
chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net wrote on 1/3/05 10:15 AM:

Keep trying. It's a challenge, but a satisfying one when you hit on
something good. And it's so fortunate today that we have the internet where
we can find out immediately if anyone substantial has the same name, not
like the '70s and '80s where you might find out only after you released your
first album, that someone else has the same name!

Also, don't be afraid to go abstract. Back in the late '70s, we got the name
THE... VERS off an old garage where BEAVERS was painted across it, and the
garage door was slid off to one side.

Our fans kept a dialog going as to what it meant. One said "I figured it
out! It stands for Vibrating Exotic Rock Show, right? Another said "it's
German for "verse" a reference to your dedication to songwriting." Another
said "it's French slang for "worms, right?" while wiggling his thumb in
front of his crotch.

I preferred to simply say that bands had already proven that you can name a
band anything, and we were proving that it didn't even have to be anything.

In more recent years, I've come up with "theXpairOmentals" and "the CRASH
TEST TICKLES" (is that 2 nuts?). I figure a little controversy is a good
thing; it gets people talking about you. We occaisionally have to play a
family-oriented club billed as "Rob and Zoid" as an alternative, but it's
really not a problem.

Zoid

SARPLT

Jan 3, 2005, 5:28:50 PM1/3/05
my almost 3 yr old daughter came up with one that I'd like to use someday.

Blame it on Elmo

Evan Cole

Jan 3, 2005, 8:53:29 PM1/3/05

In one band I happened to be the only one with hair, so I proposed, " The
Bald and the Beautiful." It was rejected.

John McCoy

Jan 3, 2005, 9:43:26 PM1/3/05
Years ago, had a trio named "McCoy, Glenn and Frazier" (last name, first
name, last name). We had a write up in a Ft. Lauderdale paper applauding the
simplicity of the name. Also, nobody could hijack it...haha. Just a thought.
Johnnie

Leo Dean

Jan 3, 2005, 10:53:50 PM1/3/05
There is a group out of Jacksonville Florida called "Big Al and the
'Coholics"

When I was 14 we had a group called the "Eagles" ......The rival band in
town called us the Turkeys.

We broke up and I heard someone else picked up the name.

Sometimes when I do all sequenced I call myself "Leo and Dell".... sounds
better than "Leo and Latitude CPi"....or not. Maybe "Leo and Lappy"

Just Leo

Geoff Udy

Jan 4, 2005, 12:18:59 AM1/4/05
Try this band name generator.
Some of these names don't sound half bad.......

a.. Dancing Frog
a.. The Venomous Dog Collective
a.. Two Jugglers and a Fish
a.. Jason Lovlace and the Modest Accountants
a.. fellowbadger
a.. The Invisible Peace Quintet
a.. Two Flying Frogs
a.. The Temple Session
a.. A Temple of Ducks

http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/bandname

Geoff.

Chaz

Jan 4, 2005, 1:28:50 AM1/4/05
How about....

1.The Screaming Furniture Band
2. The Parking Peters
3. The Harry Balzack Band (really does exist)
4. Paper or Fur Lined Sauceage Sack?
5. Richard Crarnium High School
6. Liter Box Blues Band
7. Forty Ounce Jug Band
8. The Air Force Seman Jazz Trio
9. Floppy & Buck Neykid Duo
10. The Baker Jizz Theory

Stick those in your puppy beater and see if anybody buzzes.(G)

Chaz

The Beemer

Jan 4, 2005, 1:14:24 AM1/4/05

"John McCoy" <jh.m...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Years ago, had a trio named "McCoy, Glenn and Frazier" (last name, first
> name, last name). We had a write up in a Ft. Lauderdale paper applauding
> the simplicity of the name. Also, nobody could hijack it...haha. Just a
> thought.

Similar to the thought that occurred to "Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds".

DB

Boyd Williamson

Jan 4, 2005, 2:18:52 AM1/4/05
in article ipnCd.25406$_62.19753@trnddc01, John McCoy at
jh.m...@verizon.net wrote on 1/3/05 8:43 PM:

> Years ago, had a trio named "McCoy, Glenn and Frazier" (last name, first

> name, last name). We had a write up in a Ft. Lauderdale paper...

I'm trying to remember the guitar player I was working with when I lived
around Ft. Lauderdale. First name Glenn (his last name is on the tip of my
brain), a little heavier-set, balding, he played a '69 Strat through a Super
Reverb, very blues oriented, lotta Stevie Ray... Wouldn't be the same guy,
would it?

Zoid

kevin

Jan 4, 2005, 3:44:05 AM1/4/05
I am wanting to convert the my files that I have on my
Roland MC50 (original
first version, not the MKII) sequencer to midi files on my
pc and then to
transfer them to a laptop for performance...

does anyone have or know of a shareware program or site
where I can get a
program to convert these disks/files? if so please email me
with the info or
send the program to me at: krashATjunction.net

thanks in advance.... kk

Ronny

Jan 4, 2005, 3:52:57 AM1/4/05
Uhh, hate to be "mr nasty", but you really need to ask others to find a name
that suits *your* band ???

Must be *something* that would please you all collectively, no ?

I've always managed with " (MY NAME) Band"..... why be complicated ?

Ronny

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> a écrit dans le
message de news: bO6dnc0Qrpo...@comcast.com...

Serge Stodolnik

Jan 4, 2005, 5:17:17 AM1/4/05
http://www.giebler.com/#rdm

--
_______________________________
Production Music,

http://www.subverted.com
sergest...@NOSPAMcomcast.net

____
"kevin" <kr...@junction.net> wrote in message

Chris Johnson

Jan 4, 2005, 7:05:18 AM1/4/05
I dont believe I was asking for help- just remarking how hard it is to come
up with something original that works on many different levels.

It's been fun though- lots of good suggestions.

Besides- it's been slow here lately. Needed a good topic

Chris

"Ronny" <sp...@phuque.yew> wrote in message

Ronny

Jan 4, 2005, 7:07:02 AM1/4/05

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> a écrit dans le
message de news: o-KdnQvPQec...@comcast.com...

>I dont believe I was asking for help- just remarking how hard it is to come
>up with something original that works on many different levels.
>
> It's been fun though- lots of good suggestions.
>
> Besides- it's been slow here lately. Needed a good topic
>
> Chris

Yep, I agree with you on that one Chris :-))

Happy new year (if you're a believer !! lol)

Ronny

dickydoo

Jan 4, 2005, 2:07:17 PM1/4/05
Outlook Express.

Joe L

Jan 4, 2005, 2:51:49 PM1/4/05
I played a Halloween gig as a solo a few years back and it was a 1 nighter
on a Wed, so I wanted an easy costume. I wore a priests costume that I just
had to put on over my black jeans & T shirt after setup and easily put away
after. Thought nothing of it until I came back to the bar a couple months
later and on the marquee it says "FATHER JOE" . He even had it on the little
table ads in his OTHER bar next time I went there. I laughed at first but
then told him it wasn't a good idea to entice people to come
drinking/partying to a religious figure. So he put my real name on the
marquee the next time and after my first set I sat down with some regulars
and they all said they had wondered who was playing this weekend. Hell, if
they'd known it was Father Joe they'd have brought more friends. I can't
win.

Name recognition......something to really think about.

Joe L

Joe L

Jan 4, 2005, 2:52:23 PM1/4/05

"Ronny" <sp...@phuque.yew> wrote in message
> Uhh, hate to be "mr nasty", but you really need to ask others to find a
name
> that suits *your* band ???
>
> Must be *something* that would please you all collectively, no ?
>
> I've always managed with " (MY NAME) Band"..... why be complicated ?
>
> Ronny

Yes but that only works if you're the frontman/leader. Also, how many bands
have you been in? Trying to find a consensus is real hard-thus the need for
more than 1 favorite.

I always laugh when I see one like "The Bob Smith Duo" . It's like the other
guy doesn't exist. (Or hasn't been hired yet)

Joe L

pTooner

Jan 4, 2005, 3:00:59 PM1/4/05
How about "The Speckled Band" Hmm, I guess that one was taken?
Gerry

> Outlook Express.

pTooner

Jan 4, 2005, 3:02:23 PM1/4/05

"Joe L" <m...@myhouse.com> wrote in message

Actually, I know of at least one like that. The fact is that "Bob Smith"
hires various musos to be his other half depending on who's available. BTW,
my all time favorite band name is "Live Entertainment".

gerry

JR

Jan 4, 2005, 3:18:12 PM1/4/05
Much to my surprice, the domain www.coverband.dk was not taken. Try to guess
the name of our band ?

JimR

"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> skrev i en meddelelse
> <snip>

> Every one we come up with I Google and
> there's always someone, somewhere already using it. "Sheesh"
>

> --------

dickydoo

Jan 4, 2005, 3:20:05 PM1/4/05
"Cash", especially when getting paid by cheque.

JR

Jan 4, 2005, 3:27:43 PM1/4/05
Simple is good, my old Blues Band was called JR Blues Band.

I try to come up with interesting/funny names, preferably a word that
'plays' with something that sounds similar.

In danish (sorry) we have a word called DRENGESTREGER which means something
like 'boys pranks' and I came up with the similar looking/sounding word
STRENGEDREJER which means something like 'string turner'. A great name for a
guitar band but sadly someone had it taken already.

Maybe you can use the idea for something.

JimR

"Ronny" <sp...@phuque.yew> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]

JR

Jan 4, 2005, 3:29:35 PM1/4/05
'Free Beer'

"pTooner" <no...@yourlife.com> skrev i en meddelelse

JR

Jan 4, 2005, 3:30:04 PM1/4/05
LookOut PressEx

"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> skrev i en meddelelse
> Outlook Express.

Chaz

Jan 4, 2005, 4:27:03 PM1/4/05
attaboy Serge!

Chaz

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:17:17 -0600, "Serge Stodolnik"
<sergest...@concast.net> wrote:

>http://www.giebler.com/#rdm

John McCoy

Jan 4, 2005, 4:38:55 PM1/4/05
No, Glen Shell played keyboards.... this was in 74.
Johnnie

"Boyd Williamson" <zo...@z9design.com> wrote in message

Joe L

Jan 4, 2005, 5:16:00 PM1/4/05
Looks great on the marquee,lol

Joe L
"JR" <neutr...@SPAMofir.dk> wrote in message

Ronny

Jan 4, 2005, 7:07:55 PM1/4/05

"Joe L" <m...@myhouse.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
XtCCd.694210$nl.559811@pd7tw3no...

> I always laugh when I see one like "The Bob Smith Duo" . It's like the
> other
> guy doesn't exist. (Or hasn't been hired yet)

Maybe a schizophrenic ??

Another good name "EXIT" - your advertising is there in just every venue
:-))

Ronny

> Joe L

Ronny

Jan 4, 2005, 7:09:40 PM1/4/05

"pTooner" <no...@yourlife.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
8BCCd.14940$6i....@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

> "Joe L" <m...@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ronny" <sp...@phuque.yew> wrote in message

> Actually, I know of at least one like that. The fact is that "Bob Smith"
> hires various musos to be his other half depending on who's available.

About my case Gerry..... different partners depending on style, age,
availability, and I keep the name "Duo" even when I'm soloing :-)

Ronny

> gerry

pTooner

Jan 4, 2005, 8:11:07 PM1/4/05

dickydoo wrote:

>"Cash", especially when getting paid by cheque.

Many years ago it was Spike Jones and "The Band that Plays for Fun".
Every since then I thought there should be a "Band that plays for
Money". Never had the nerve, though.

Gerry

Boyd Williamson

Jan 5, 2005, 12:14:00 AM1/5/05
Ahh, wrong decade.

Zoid

na

Jan 5, 2005, 12:22:48 AM1/5/05

"pTooner" <gedd...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I played in a band called Free Beer.

You wouldnt believe the vast number of mugs who came into the pubs asking
for those "free beers you guys are advertising"..:)

--
Best,
Nick A
website: http://tinyurl.com/6yhbr

Ernie Garner

Jan 5, 2005, 1:49:43 AM1/5/05
>Maybe use a combination of your names, at least that way if there is any
>duplication it's not your fault since you didn't 'chose' your own name. For
>example if your drummer is Bob Huge you could use his last name followed by
>yours. ;-)
>
>I just wouldn't use the 'Bumfuck' one though, lol.
>
>Joe L

When I was in my "yoot" I did a gig with a band called Pyramist -
PerrY, RAndy, MIckey and STeve. Perry went on to form a
communications company called Berler:

fred BERgstrom and perry milLER ...

Somebody shoot me ...

Ernie

Ernie Garner

Jan 5, 2005, 1:51:11 AM1/5/05
We have a band around here called the "Hot Hole Plumbers". Been
around for years but it's only in the last two that I have actually
seen their name explicitly placed on a marquee or in an ad.

Ernie

>"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

>> Best one I ever heard was "Throbbing Gristle".
>
>LOL!
>
>I was in a band once( and only once!) called "Lubricated Goat".

Ernie Garner

Jan 5, 2005, 1:52:36 AM1/5/05
>my almost 3 yr old daughter came up with one that I'd like to use someday.
>
>Blame it on Elmo

Too cute!

Ernie

Ernie Garner

Jan 5, 2005, 1:53:35 AM1/5/05
>my almost 3 yr old daughter came up with one that I'd like to use someday.
>
>Blame it on Elmo

Oops, just to make sure it isn't taken wrong, I meant that positively,
not as a criticism. I really like the name.

Ernie

Ernie Garner

Jan 5, 2005, 1:56:53 AM1/5/05
Friend of mine - "Everyday People"

Ernie

dickydoo

Jan 5, 2005, 2:14:26 AM1/5/05

"na" <ni...@nospamthanksyouverymuch.com.au> wrote in message

> I played in a band called Free Beer.
>
> You wouldnt believe the vast number of mugs who came into the pubs asking
> for those "free beers you guys are advertising"..:)

Ah, so you don't spell it XXXX anymore !

Joe L

Jan 5, 2005, 2:33:37 AM1/5/05

> I played in a band called Free Beer.
>
> You wouldnt believe the vast number of mugs who came into the pubs asking
> for those "free beers you guys are advertising"..:)
>

> --
> Best,
> Nick A
> website: http://tinyurl.com/6yhbr

Visiting my brother in Calif we stopped in Santa Cruz and later needed a
place to stay. On the marquee it said "Room with a View $10". I new it
sounded TGTBT but we went over to check it out anyway. It was a band and the
guy at the door talked us into it since the 10 bucks included a couple beers
or so. The band sucked but it was a neat venue and the warm-up act was 2
brothers on vocals and acoustic. They were fantastic and really set us up
for a real let down with the headliner. At least it gave us extra time to
find a decent motel, lol.

Joe L

Boyd Williamson

Jan 5, 2005, 4:23:23 AM1/5/05

As far as I can determine from the 'net, "Pickled Punks" hasn't been used by
anything but a magic show... Kinda depends on what your musical style is,
but it's very catchy, and has a controversially dark background...

From Zoid's Humor Archive:

Before starting a rock band... you should know that the following names are
already taken (yes, these are actual, real bands, or have been):

Albino Toilet Boys

Alcoholocaust

Alcoholics Unanimous

Almighty Lumberjacks of Death

Apocalypse Hoboken

Armageddon Dildos

Biff Hitler and the Violent Mood Swings

The Band Formerly Known As Sausage

Band Over

Band That Shot Liberty Valence

Barbara's Bush

The Battered Wives

Blind Ignorants

Bobby Joe Ebola and the Children MacNuggits

The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir

The Boxing Ghandis

Brady Bunch Lawnmower Massacre

Breakfast in Beirut

Bruno Gerussi's Medallion

Buck Futt & the Rearenders

Bulimia Banquet

Bunchof***kingoofs

Buster Cherri

Buster Hymen & the Penetrators

Caltransvestites

Cap'n Crunch and the Cereal Killers

Carnage Asada

Cat Sass

Catz Ass

The ChristPunchers

Chixdiggit!

Cindy Brady's Lisp

Cold Cock

Cortizone 5

Cottage Cheese from the Lips of Death

Country Bob and the Bloodfarmers

Crash Test Dummies

the Crash Test Tickles

Cupid's Eczema

The Dancing French Liberals of 1848

The Dead Sea Squirrels

The Dead Kennedys

The Dick Clarks

The Dick Nixons

Dick Delicious & The Tasty Testicles

Dicky Retardo

Drunks With Guns

e. coli

Edith Head

Electric Prostates

Elvis Hitler

Elvis Manson

Ethyl Merman

EZ Bang

The Fags

Fathead

Fearless Iranians From Hell

Feisty Cadavers

Fields of Shit

'57 Lesbian

The 4-Skins

Four Nurses of the Apocalypse

Free Beer

The French are from Hell

Fromage d'Amour

Gefilte Joe and the Fish

God Bullies

Gonoreagan

Headless Marines

The Headstones

Hell Camino

Herpes Cineplex

Hindu Garage Sale

Hitler's Bikini

HIV and the Positives

Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives

Hornets Attack Victor Mature

The Illuminati

Impotent Sea Snakes

Inhale Mary

Janitors Against Apartheid

Jehovah's Waitresses

Jehovah's Wetness

Jehovah's Witness Protection Program

Jesus Christ Super Fly

Jesus Chrysler Supercar

Jesus Manson and the Starvation Army

JFKFC

Jonestown Punch

Jr. Gone Wild

Kathleen Turner Overdrive

Kerrigan's Knees

Lack of Afro

Lawn Piranhas

The Leave It To Beaver Conehead Immolation

Lee Harvey Keitel

Lesbian Ninjas

Louder Than God

The Lowest Of The Low

Mao Tse Helen

Mary Kay and the Cosmetics

Max Roach and the Holders

Minnie Pearl's Jam

Mr. Happy and the Genocides

Mussolini Headkick

My Dog Has Hitler's Brain

Nate Nocturnal and the Nightly Emissions

Nervous Christians and the Lions

Norman Bates and the Shower Heads

Not Drowning, Waving

Nuclear Underwear

Pabst Smear

Pearl Harbor and the Explosions

PEN 15

Penis DeMilo

Pepto Dismal

Phenobarbidols

Phil and the Blanks

Phlegm Fatale

Pig Farm

Poor Dumb Bastards

Poultry in Motion

Pretentious Flamedogs

The Pro-Midget Mafia

Psychic Buddhist Gorillas

Psycho Sluts from Hell

Pungent Frustration

Purple Headed Love Warriors

Raging Pimps of Doom

Rectal Nightmare

Reluctant Stereotypes

Reserectum

Results of Inbreeding

Retarted Elf

Roid Rogers and the Whirling Butt Cherries

The Royal Scheitzmen

Quasimodo and the Eunuchs

Sandy Duncan's Eye

Screaming Headless Torsos

Screaming Iguanas of Love

Screaming Moist Accountants

Septic Death

Seven Year Bitch

The Shamu Afterbirth Orchestra

Shirley Temple of Doom

Shirley Temple Pilots

Simulated Orgasms [Simulerte Orgasmer]

Sing Along With Tonto

Skeptic Tank

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Slimy Penis Breath

Smegma & the Nuns

Smorgasborgnine

SNFU

Solosex

The Sound of Munich

Spanking Bozo

Spastic Colon

The Sphinctones

Stiff Nipple

Stiff Richards

Stukas Over Bedrock

Swingin' Johnsons

Swollen Members

Ted Bundy's Volkswagen

The Telephony Bandits of Doom

Temporary Darkening of the Stool

Testostertones

The Texas Nazis

Thank God We're Immortal

They Tried To Frame OJ

theXpairOmentals

To Live and Shave in LA

Toxic Shock and the Tampons

Tracy & the Hindenburg Ground Crew

Tragic Mulatto

Transsexual Hitler

Trotsky Icepick

The Ugly Ducklings

Uncle Dickie's Shameless Quickies

Unstoppable Kamikaze Idiots

Vaginal Davis

The Velcro Pygmies

Vic Morrow's Head

The Well Hungarians

Willie Nelson Mandela

Yoko Homo

Zombies Under Stress

Zulu Leprechauns

Zoid

kevin

Jan 5, 2005, 6:42:03 AM1/5/05
there is a band from this area named that!! kk

na

Jan 5, 2005, 6:41:28 AM1/5/05

"dickydoo" <dick...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

I got one word for you, kiwi.

SPEIGHTS!

;p

na

Jan 5, 2005, 6:41:58 AM1/5/05

"Joe L" <m...@myhouse.com> wrote in message

LOL!

na

Jan 5, 2005, 6:43:45 AM1/5/05
OK Boyd, it must have been a *long time* coming for the opportunity to
off-load that bunch of material in one go!

LOL!

--
Best,
Nick A
website: http://tinyurl.com/6yhbr

"Boyd Williamson" <zo...@z9design.com> wrote in message

Chris Johnson

Jan 5, 2005, 12:01:25 PM1/5/05
Great stuff Boyd. I especially like:

The band that shot Liberty Valance
Jehova's Waitresses
Pabst Smear

Chris

dickydoo

Jan 5, 2005, 2:06:50 PM1/5/05

> > "na" <ni...@nospamthanksyouverymuch.com.au> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I played in a band called Free Beer.
> > >
> > > You wouldnt believe the vast number of mugs who came into the pubs
> asking
> > > for those "free beers you guys are advertising"..:)
> >
> > Ah, so you don't spell it XXXX anymore !
>

> I got one word for you, kiwi.
>
> SPEIGHTS!
>
> ;p

That's terrible,its like anti-freeze (chundering laxative}. To be quite
honest I prefer Aussie grog .

Joe L

Jan 5, 2005, 6:26:44 PM1/5/05
There's a local trio called the "Acoustiholics". I always thought that was a
pretty sharp name that also quite accurately described their act which is
basically 3 guys with acoustics & vocals doing that 'unplugged' style of pop
songs.

Joe L

Joe L

Jan 5, 2005, 6:28:31 PM1/5/05
Oh yeah, another local called the "Wailing Jennies"

Joe L

Boyd Williamson

Jan 5, 2005, 8:33:57 PM1/5/05
in article crgm0o$mt3$0...@pita.alt.net, na at
ni...@nospamthanksyouverymuch.com.au wrote on 1/5/05 5:43 AM:

> OK Boyd, it must have been a *long time* coming for the opportunity to
> off-load that bunch of material in one go!
>
> LOL!
>

> --
> Best,
> Nick A

The subject comes up pretty regularly in muso newsgroups. If you've never
visited my humor archive, have a go:

http://humor.z9design.com

It's getting time to update it soon...

Zoid

John McCoy

Jan 6, 2005, 2:03:57 AM1/6/05
Saw a group that did nothing but Beatles songs..... they called
themselves..... "Not The Beatles"
Johnnie

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to figure out a new band name. We kicked out the bass player and
> somehow he ended up using the name- now I've been going nuts for weeks
> trying to come up with a new one. Needs to be cool but not offensive.
> Clever but not cute. Something that works for bars and pubs but can still
> use with the agency that books us for more upscale gigs.
>
> I cant believe how hard this is. Every one we come up with I Google and
> there's always someone, somewhere already using it. Sheesh
>
> Of course I've been thru this before, but Google wasn't around then and I
> just used whatever sounded good and I'd never heard of. This world is
> getting too small in some ways. I mean, it's pretty unlikely that some
> obscure band from Bumfuck, Iowa is gonna find out or care if I take their
> name, but I may as well try to be original...
>
> Chris.

Evan Cole

Jan 6, 2005, 5:37:24 AM1/6/05

> Much to my surprice, the domain www.coverband.dk was not taken. Try to
guess
> the name of our band ?

The Coverband Dicks?

Johnny

Jan 6, 2005, 12:58:09 PM1/6/05
Chris Johnson wrote:

> Trying to figure out a new band name. We kicked out the bass player
> and somehow he ended up using the name- now I've been going nuts for
> weeks trying to come up with a new one. Needs to be cool but not
> offensive. Clever but not cute. Something that works for bars and
> pubs but can still use with the agency that books us for more upscale
> gigs.
>
> I cant believe how hard this is. Every one we come up with I Google
> and there's always someone, somewhere already using it. Sheesh
>
> Of course I've been thru this before, but Google wasn't around then
> and I just used whatever sounded good and I'd never heard of. This
> world is getting too small in some ways. I mean, it's pretty unlikely
> that some obscure band from Bumfuck, Iowa is gonna find out or care
> if I take their name, but I may as well try to be original...
>
> Chris.

Hi Chris... I realise you're not actually expecting to find a name here
but felt the need to share what I found to be the 'worst' possible
name! A band in Sussex, UK called themselves 'No band here tonight';
the lead guy was a bright fellow, an English teacher as I recall, but I
couldn't fathom his workings or steer him away from his brain-child; he
just thought it amusing.

Regards,

Johnny

JR

Jan 6, 2005, 2:54:10 PM1/6/05
We have several Beatles Jam bands: The Repeatles, Rubber Band, Bootles

hmm, how about The Beagles (that's a god you know)

JimR

"John McCoy" <jh.m...@verizon.net> skrev i en meddelelse

JR

Jan 6, 2005, 2:57:31 PM1/6/05
Hey, I listened a lot to The Dead Kennedys, good punk

JimR

"Boyd Williamson" <zo...@z9design.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]

jchr...@hotmail.com

Jan 7, 2005, 12:05:08 AM1/7/05
Wow, I'm amazed;

Freddie Frypan and the Kitchenettes,
Courtney's Love Triangle
tsunami sammy and the wave of destruction
Innuenndo (an Italian suppository)
dirk digler and the trojans
fluffo and nazi death bunnies
scott peterson and the bloated remains
roger over and the static
Jaws's Glory Hole
Minnie Mouse's Secret Porn Tape
Bus Stop n' Go Fish Eggs Benedict Arnold Ziffle
Are all still available?

Joe L

Jan 7, 2005, 2:33:01 AM1/7/05
I always got a laugh out of the band name "Better Than Ezra".

I guess they were the warm-up for a band called "Ezra" and had no name.
Apparently Ezra sucked so it made the name work.
JL

Chris Johnson

Jan 7, 2005, 11:06:43 AM1/7/05
"No band here tonight"- yeah, that'll draw a crowd every time :)

Chris

"Johnny" <johnnyblo...@orthiswarmmale.com> wrote in message

Joe L

Jan 7, 2005, 3:02:48 PM1/7/05
How about "No Karaoke Tonight" , lol. That might draw a crowd. At least
one that doesn't drink a lot of water or coffee.(Same with gambler's - don't
bring in much food/booze revenue).

Joe L

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> wrote in message

CHIXINGA

Jan 9, 2005, 5:27:38 AM1/9/05
I always thought great names for bands were 'Aural Sets' and 'Casual
Sets', but have never been able to get any takers on either. ( and
certainly not in the sense that just popped into some minds here ! )
I personally like 'punny' names, but not everyone has the same sense of
humour ( and some people are just thick and won't understand the name
anyhow ).

Cheers

Roe

Uncle Bob

Jan 9, 2005, 6:37:05 AM1/9/05
There was a band in my neck of the woods called the "Well Hungarians"
:-)

na

Jan 9, 2005, 7:01:57 AM1/9/05

"Uncle Bob" <th...@play.com> wrote in message

> There was a band in my neck of the woods called the "Well Hungarians"
> :-)

I like it.:)

na

Jan 9, 2005, 7:01:33 AM1/9/05

"CHIXINGA" <Roe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I always thought great names for bands were 'Aural Sets' and 'Casual
> Sets', but have never been able to get any takers on either. ( and
> certainly not in the sense that just popped into some minds here ! )
> I personally like 'punny' names, but not everyone has the same sense of
> humour ( and some people are just thick and won't understand the name
> anyhow ).
>
> Cheers
>
> Roe

Damn, I was just going to say that you could count me in as one of those
gthick people, and then the penny dropped.....:)

--
Best,
Nick A
website: http://tinyurl.com/6yhbr

Bowser

Jan 9, 2005, 9:49:54 AM1/9/05
I sorta like the name "Nick Nasal and the Nine Nasty Nose Pickers"

jchr...@hotmail.com

Jan 9, 2005, 4:00:33 PM1/9/05
The problem with this name is you need a 10 piece band.
It's like 10,000 Maniacs, there are only a few venues with a stage that
big.

Joe L

Jan 10, 2005, 12:33:12 AM1/10/05

<jchr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The problem with this name is you need a 10 piece band.
> It's like 10,000 Maniacs, there are only a few venues with a stage that
> big.

There was a group here that called themselves the "Great Western Orchestra"
and was only 2 guys - keys & gtr/mandolin. They had a tv special and part of
it profiled their tour of China. Something in me thinks that part of the
reason they got the tour was the 'orchestra' name. I wonder what the
Chinese thought when the group showed up. They showed footage of venues
where a symphony would play and everyone was dressed formal and there's just
these 2 guys playing simple folk and cowboy tunes. I laughed my ass off.

Joe L

Chris Johnson

Jan 10, 2005, 10:34:40 AM1/10/05
Yeah, they do alot of "fingerstyle" picking

"Bowser" <DaBo...@Bowser.Org> wrote in message

Chris Johnson

Jan 10, 2005, 10:39:27 AM1/10/05
Both great names Roe- if I wasn't trying to have a name for "respectable"
gigs thru the agency, I'd ask if I could use one of them. My bass player
came up with a great punny name that I love- Better Nate than lover. I
haven't actually ruled that one out- so no one steal it please!

Chris

Joe L

Jan 10, 2005, 1:38:50 PM1/10/05
It seems to a lot of times come down to the choice between a hip name with
interesting connotations vs a lame one but one that has easy recognition.
"What's his name" is playing this weekend means you chose the first type.
Sometimes the safe boring one gets you more gigs.

Joe L
"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> wrote in message

Keys'n'Stix

Jan 25, 2005, 9:46:52 AM1/25/05

"Chris Johnson" <chris_...@no-s-p-a-mcomcast.net> wrote in message

> Trying to figure out a new band name. We kicked out the bass player and
> somehow he ended up using the name- now I've been going nuts for weeks
> trying to come up with a new one. Needs to be cool but not offensive.
> Clever but not cute. Something that works for bars and pubs but can still
> use with the agency that books us for more upscale gigs.
>
> I cant believe how hard this is. Every one we come up with I Google and
> there's always someone, somewhere already using it. Sheesh
>
> Of course I've been thru this before, but Google wasn't around then and I
> just used whatever sounded good and I'd never heard of. This world is
> getting too small in some ways. I mean, it's pretty unlikely that some
> obscure band from Bumfuck, Iowa is gonna find out or care if I take their
> name, but I may as well try to be original...
>
> Chris.
Some time ago, there was an all girl band on our circuit called 'The Cunning
Stunts'!! There's a current band called 'The Cunning Linguists' here too.

Keys'n'Stix
NE England

plushbee

Mar 14, 2005, 2:35:59 PM3/14/05
One of the best used locally for a western band is Led Stetson.
I was Bj Biscuit and the Good Gravy band briefly until the club owners said
it was too much like advertising lunch. I keep threatening hubby with
becoming the whoop-t-doos.
BJ

"Boyd Williamson" <zo...@z9design.com> wrote in message

> in article ipnCd.25406$_62.19753@trnddc01, John McCoy at
> jh.m...@verizon.net wrote on 1/3/05 8:43 PM:
>
> > Years ago, had a trio named "McCoy, Glenn and Frazier" (last name, first
> > name, last name). We had a write up in a Ft. Lauderdale paper...
>
> I'm trying to remember the guitar player I was working with when I lived
> around Ft. Lauderdale. First name Glenn (his last name is on the tip of my
> brain), a little heavier-set, balding, he played a '69 Strat through a
Super
> Reverb, very blues oriented, lotta Stevie Ray... Wouldn't be the same guy,
> would it?
>
> Zoid

Joe L

Mar 14, 2005, 4:54:19 PM3/14/05
Good one. I think that it's a fine line between clever and a usable
business like name. I would generally choose one that is good on a marquis
and entertainment listing first over the clever one but if you can find one
that hits both.....

JL
"plushbee" <chabo...@ywahoo.com> wrote in message