[MIS] NEWS AND INFORMATION - SUN 20TH JULY - SAT 26TH JULY 08

staff

Jul 20, 2008, 3:48:54 PM7/20/08
M.I.S ONLINE - NEWS AND INFORMATION - SUN 20TH JULY - SAT 26TH JULY 08
ISSUE NUMBER 481 MIS ONLINE: <http://www.mis-online.net>

1 - THIS IS WHERE THE NEWS BEGINS - The obligatory intro.

2 - THE LONE REVIEWER - SUGGS ON HIS 1ST SOLO ALBUM - An audio version
of this is available for download from the Nutty Forum.
Transcribed by Jackie Reid).

3 - MOJO - WHAT GOES ON? - Taken from the August 2008 edition of Mojo
magazine, and kindly typed-up by Lee 'Loobyloo' Buckley.

4 - WE'RE GOING BACK IN TIME - Going back yet another half decade is
MIS Online's very own Rob Hazelby, who takes a look at issue 219,
and the week of the 20th to the 26th of July 2003.

5 - THE TOP THIRTY HACKNEY SPICE FESTIVAL MADNESS PUNS - Whether you
thought last week's reworked lyrics from Dan Fossard were truly
awful, or a great amusing aside, you'll be equally horrified or
delighted by the latest punning sensations from Mr Iain Mason.

6 - LOST IN NASSAU - Washing up in a bottle on the beach, a message...
About 12 minutes of music, mostly drum bass and piano only. This
is a pre 1981 "7: release, with nutty comments. Jonathan Young is
here with a tracklisting and download link.

7 - OUR HOUSE AT THEATRE ROYAL, GLASGOW, FRIDAY 4TH JULY - Just
thought I'd write a wee review of Our House for Scotland as there
weren't any last week. I haven't written a review of anything for
a while, so not sure if this going to be any good! Here's Suzanne
Gilmour.

8 - SPANISH TRAVELS AND BACKSTAGE BILBAO - Sometimes doing this online
Madness reporting hobby thing can really pay you back in
unexpected ways. I enjoy meeting up with many fans, and make many
friends enjoying a shared interest in this music. But just
occasionally a fan invites me to something special, and on this
occasion the invitation was to Spain. So this is what I did on my
holidays, as events unfolded it would lead to me being backstage
at a gig for my first ever time. Jonathan Young and Mikel report.

9 - LEE'S COCKA-HOOP - The Dance Brigade featuring Lee Thompson and
Jennie Matthias premiered a new track on their Myspace page last
night. The song is called 'Cocka Deafen' and features the
unmistakable lead vocals of one Lee Thompson, with backing
provided by Jennie Matthias and Debra Barker along with Keith
Finch on strings, Dan Burdett on guitar, Chico Chagas on keyboards
and finally Chalky White on trumpet. Here's Lee Buckley.

10 - THE KISS MIX LYRICS OR SOMETHING CLOSE - Jonathan Young is here
with more lyric-transcribing goodness.

11 - THAT'S JUST ABOUT IT - A few last minute words before we finish.

[1] - THIS IS WHERE THE NEWS BEGINS

Hello, and a warm welcome to this week's edition of the MIS Online
newsletter.

Unlike last week's issue, you should find that this one lands in your
mailbox in its usual Sunday evening time slot.

The big rumour this week seems to circulate around reports that
Madness (along with Oasis, Lily Allen, and Kelly Rowland) will be
performing at a knife crime gig in London's Finsbury Park sometime
this September.

A few news sites have reported on this, but until we see something
more substantial we'd advise you all to take this with a very large
pinch of salt!

Elsewhere, and a news snippet in from 'Faker' reports that;

"I was just over on the Audio Bully's Myspace for the
first time in 2 years & the track featuring Suggs has
been Remixed & Renamed and will be on their new Album
(Sunday Night Fever) out this September.

<http://www.myspace.com/audiobullys>"

We recommend you save your pennies, and spend it something else, but
it's your money!

Maybe this...

News in from Jean-Pierre Boutellier, is that it seems as if the
legendary One Step Beyond album may be about to be re-issued.

Cat number: Seez17p
Format: Picture Disc
Release Date: 14th July 2008

This is the first we've heard about it, and unfortunately it's the
only info JP has.

If you hear of any further details, please let us know.

In the meantime, settle back, grab that hot cuppa, and relax with
this week's MIS.

Jonathan Young, Robert Hazelby, Simon Roberts, Lee Buckley
Email us at: jonathan/robert/simon/loob...@mis-online.net <mailto:jonathan/robert/simon/loob...@mis-online.net>

[2] - THE LONE REVIEWER - SUGGS ON HIS 1ST SOLO ALBUM

(An audio version of this is available for download from the Nutty
Forum, from some radio station in 95)

Hello, this is Suggs and as we’re on a very tight budget here, I’m
having to review my own album. The album’s called The Lone Ranger
which is an old reggae song, an old dub reggae song which I’ve always
liked.

CAMDEN TOWN

I wrote Camden Town actually sitting outside a bar in Camden Town and
obviously I was perfectly aware of all the talk about Camden and that
kind of thing and it just struck me that it’s somewhere I’ve lived for
about 20 years and something I’ve never written about and that no-one
had written about. I did the first half of the album on my own, well
as in the production of it which means, you know, having to go in and
tell yourself that you’re out of tune then go back in and tell
yourself to bugger off! Then go back in and say “don’t speak to me
like that, I’m the producer”, then say “well, I’m the singer"!

ALCOHOL

This is a song called Alcohol. A strange mysterious substance, it’s
a stranger to me anyway. I’ve heard apparently it’s very popular,
very popular. There’s a line in it that says “I come from a long
line who’s only fear is closing time” which is kinda true you know.
I come from along line of people who’re embroiled in the demon
alcohol and it’s a very difficult song to write it was because the
thing about getting drunk is you can’t remember very much the
next day so I just about remembered one line. So you’re talking
about possibly 60 lines in that song, talking about 60 nights out.
That’s how much it cost me, imagine how many brain cells I had
to lose,sacrifice for my art.

I’d finished the song pretty much and then one time I was playing
it and I suddenly heard the tune from the song Tequila fitting in
which is an old instrumental by the Champions I think originally.
The old de de de doo le de de, de de dedele dade (etc) Tequila

HAUNTED

Haunted is one that I did really write a long time ago, probably wrote
it about 4 years ago. And Haunted funnily enough is about Camden Town
as well. But it’s about the other side of Camden Town. It’s about
being haunted by the homelessness in fact. And you know,that is one
thing about Camden Town that has changed dramatically is just that
every doorway is full of people who’re homeless, you know. And I love
all the stuff at the moment about, you know, they’re gonna give ‘em
all a short sharp shock and all that,you know. What’s it, …. Reminds
me of taking advantage of homelessness I read in the paper today.
Taking advantage of sleeping in a doorway, that’s a tremendous thing
isn’t it. Boy those people must be sneaky eh? No, no,no, no, I’d much
rather sleep in this doorway. And yeah, and it’s just about being sort
of horrified by it really and then getting a girlfriend or boyfriend
and then running away.

OFF ON HOLIDAY/I'M ONLY SLEEPING

Off On Holiday – I did I’m Only Sleeping as a cover version cos I’d
done it on a TV show and the record company really loved it and I
wasn’t really sure about it being the first single, in fact I wasn’t
really sure at all. And I wanted Off On Holiday to be the first single
so they compromised and put out a double A side with Off On Holiday
on the B Side of I’m Only Sleeping. Well, of course, I’m Only Sleeping
got the big push and Off On Holiday got shoved under the carpet! And
in fact I made a video for Off On Holiday which I think got showed like
20 seconds of it on the … We spent like hundreds of thousands of
pounds, not exactly but you know, on the video for I’m Only Sleeping.
Me and my mate had to make the video for I’m Off On Holiday with a
Super 8 camera (laughs).

But it’s all about my mother-in law’s in fact at Whitstable.

GREEN EYES

Green Eyes is about my wife, Anne. There’s a woman in a book by
Somerset Maugham called Cakes and Ale and she’s kind of this really
free spirit, you know and it’s all kinda mad because it’s written at a
time when women weren’t supposed to have that kind of outlook on
life. And it just really reminded me of my wife, Anne who used to be
a singer herself called Bette Bright and she’s certainly very much a
free spirit and that’s what it’s all about. And from when I first went
out with her she had bright red hair and green eyes.

FORTUNE FISH

Fortune Fish, yeah, Fortune Fish was the alternative title for the
album actually. The little things you get in Christmas crackers,
well you can buy them in jokes shops. Little red fish that you put
in the middle of your hand and curl up or not depending on the
passion or not that’s in your body at that particular time. If they
curl right over you’re very passionate, if they lie completely flat,
you’re a dead one!

You know how when you have fantastic things that happen to you,
if you could dwell on those moments but they’re only there for a
moment and that’s the sort of thing about the Fortune Fish and it
curls up and then it’s gone or not as the case may be. And then
the chorus just came (laughs), “somewhere up the crazy river,me
and you and a dog named blue” and then it just …. I think I was
listening to a lot of the Happy Mondays at that point actually
(laughs).

I feel more in common with someone like John Betchaman than I
would with Blur or Oasis or a pop band because I really am keen,
you know I really am keen on some aspects of this society and I know
a lot of it’s a load of rubbish, you know, it really is but the bits
that are alright, you know, the bits that are alright, these horrible
grey islands that we live on. I really am, you know and that includes
all of them, you know I mean I’m not just talking about England now
and there’s something I really love about it and, it really is a
passion, you know it’s a passion and ….

I was gonna call this album, the third title for it was gonna be
The Greatest Popular Music Record Ever Made or The Last Great
Popular Music Record (laughs).

But it just sounded a bit shy, sounded a bit self depreciating!

Suggs (Transcribed by Jackie Reid)

[3] - MOJO - WHAT GOES ON?

Taken from the August 2008 edition of Mojo magazine.

MADNESS

THE NUTTY BOYS TURN UP THE LUD HEAT AND GET CONCEPTUAL

Title: The Liberty Of Norton Folgate

Due: September

Production: Clive Langer, Liam Watson

Songs: Forever Young, Africa, Dust Devil, Suicide Bridge, On The Town,
Clerkenwell Polka, Bingo

The Buzz: "It veers between a Ridley Scott film and a f*cking Ealing
comedy. That's Madness though." Cathal Smyth

"I'm hoping Madness are going into a darker phase, plumbing the depths
of the 'madder' side of the whole thing," says Cathal Smyth, Madness's
co-vocalist, vibesman and songwriter also known as Chas Smash. "The
thing is, I'm not sure competing is really our job now. We're graced
with a good live following which can support us, so it's great to be
able to do what you really want with the music."

What they want to do now looks set to be in some contrast to 2005's
The Dangermen Sessions album of ska-reggae covers. Beginning in 2006,
the band set to work with long-time producer Clive Langer, assisted
by analogue guvnor Liam Watson in Homerton's ToeRag studio. The
result is a semi-autobiographical, metaphysical history of London, a
city "born of blood, mud and immigrant."

This is, arguably, a step up from Baggy Trousers and Driving In My
Car. Smyth cites the books of Iain Sinclair and Peter Ackroyd as
inspirations, notably in the way the album's title relates to how the
metropolis (arguably) carries memories of past events in its very
stones. It refers to Norton Folgate, the street in London's
Bishopsgate which was until 1900 an "extra-parochial" area, controlled
by St Paul's Cathedral and as such out of civic jurisdiction. "I was
reading the books of Patrick O'Brian," says Smyth, "and he mentions
Captain Jack Aubrey going into 'The Liberties' where he couldn't get
nicked!" With pleasing synchronicity, in May anti-development
campaigners argued the abolition was invalid and that the Liberty
still exists. "That's fabulous!" says Smyth. "This whole concept's
been a real moment of magic realism - like 100 Years Of Solitude or
The Master and Margarita!"

Musically it will, says vocalist Suggs, "get back to the classic
Madness pop-reggae sound"; certainly the title song, a mordant skank
namechecking Jewish boxers Battling Levinsky and Jackie Berg,
Banglatown and the Truman brewery in Spitalfields, does this, as did
this year's sing-along/funereal single NW 5. Asked if the album will
veer to the melancholy, Smyth perkily sings, "Will you take a pint of
porter?/Mine's a Pimms and lemonade/It's the nuts, it's premium
grade!"

By the time you read this the group will have unveiled the album at
London's Hackney Empire, but Smyth says he's still not sure he can
see the end in sight. "We've written so many songs for it," he says.
"The ambition is to have totally strong content to make it one of
those certain albums you play as a whole. So y'know... I hope it's
like Sgt. Pepper's."

Looby xx

[4] - WE'RE GOING BACK IN TIME

Going back yet another half decade is MIS Online's very own Rob
Hazelby, who takes a look at issue 219, and the week of the 20th to
the 26th of July 2003.

With me facing the joys of moving home, Jonathan took up the slack
and single-handedly out this week's issue together. A task made all
the more challenging, as it was such a quiet news week.

Although not listed on any advertising materials, it seemed that an
extra date was about to be added to the forthcoming Christmas tour,
if Carl's hints that the string of dates would see the tour starting
in Dublin was anything to go by. Only time would tell if it would be
officially announced, and added to the line-up.

With interest in the Madness Weekender in Great Yarmouth growing, it
didn't come as too much of a surprise when certain people started
contacting the organisers with "please reserve me a room and I'll then
send a cheque", style emails.

One of the organisers, Vince Carden, was quick to point out that the
hotel wanted to see the colour of people's money before they'd book
a room in their name. Vince also pointed out;

"The other reason for paying early is to
avoid the possibility of sleeping with
somebody you don't want to sleep with - I
mean in the same room, that's not a
reference to beer goggles! Oh yes, there'll
be no falling for lamposts in Great
Yarmouth..."

Being so short on news this week left Jonathan with a little quandary
as to how he should fill the issue. In the end he decided to pad it
out with a large chunk of script from the issue of long defunct TV
series, 'Press Gang', which featured Suggs in a one-off appearance as
a pop star 'Jason Wood'.

Rob Hazelby

[5] - THE TOP THIRTY HACKNEY SPICE FESTIVAL MADNESS PUNS

Whether you thought last week's reworked lyrics from Dan Fossard were
truly awful, or a great amusing aside, you'll be equally horrified or
delighted by the latest punning sensations from Mr Iain Mason.

You may have heard the Hackney Podcast MISCast1 by now, available for
download in 3 parts from the MIS or as a zip folder from the MTR
website. Beginning as it did with our discovery that the Hackney Empire
had lumped the Folgate shows in promotionally with the start of their
"Spice" festival - a series of entertainment shows they were trying to
link together. Iain promised 400 puns about it when he got back to
work. And sure enough 2 days later we got this...

Alright fella, now I'm back at work and have my Pun Hat back on, here
we go. I realise there are herbs here as well as spices, but we all
know Madness have welcomed the use of *certain* herbs to aid the
creative process over the years...

1. Solid Tarragon
2. Driving In My Paprika
3. Thyme
4. Saffrony Night, Sunday Morning
5. Embarrassmint
6. Tears You Can't Chive
7. It Must Be Lovage
8. Madras (Is All In The Mind)
9. Primrose Dill
10. Are You Cumin (With Me)
11. Clove Escape
12. Johnny The Horseradish
13. Night Boat To Carob
14. Tarzan's Nutmeg
15. Please Don't Ginkgo
16. That's The Caraway To Do It
17. Cayenne Shame
19. No Cinammoney
20. That Mace
21. Bed & Breakfast Mandrake
22. Cardamommy's Boy
23. Sunday Myrrhning
24. NW Fivespice
25. Mr Speaker Gets The Wort
26. Missing Eucalyptus
27. Tamarind's (Just Another Day)
28. Salts Into Mischief
29. The Liberty Of Norton Fennelgate
30. Edelweiss Heat

All the best,

Iain Mason / Jonathan Young

[6] - LOST IN NASSAU

Washing up in a bottle on the beach, a message...

Lost in Nassau...

About 12 minutes of music, mostly drum bass and piano only. This is a
pre 1981 "7: release, with nutty comments.

Lost In Nassau,

Presented by MR Bosh. (carl)

Instrumental raw snippets of...

1. Unknown Track that was 'Lost In Nassau'
2. Benny Bullfrog
3. Never ask twice
4. Shadow on the house
5. Don't Look Back
6. Day on the town
7. A town with no name
8. The Opium Eaters
9. Mrs Hutchinson
10. Tomorrow's Dream
11. Cardiac Arrest
12. Sign of the times

<http://jon.mis-online.net/Lost> in Nassau.mp3

Enjoy.

[7] - OUR HOUSE AT THEATRE ROYAL, GLASGOW, FRIDAY 4TH JULY

Hi everyone, just thought I'd write a wee review of Our House for
Scotland as there weren't any last week. I haven't written a review
of anything for a while, so not sure if this going to be any good!

Anyway, I dragged my boyfriend and 4 of my friends along to Our
House as it was playing in Glasgow. Actually, dragged isn't the
right word to use as even though none of them are quite as big
Madness fans as me, they did want to go. We got in about 5 minutes
or so before the show was due to start, and it was pretty empty.
We actually ended up with seat upgrades because of it! I imagine
this was probably because it was a weeknight though.

It kicked off with a kind of medley of instrumental Madness songs
being played by the orchestra before the curtain went up, then the
curtain opened to to a flashback scene of Steve Brookstein and
Casandra from Only Fools and Horses doing the 'easiest dance in the
world' to the tune of Return of the Los Palmas 7, whilst it emerged
that Joe was no longer just twinkle in his mother's eye. Then after
that it zoomed into the present where it's Joe's 16th birthday with
people decorating the house and dancing about to Our House like mad
things (which is exactly the way to be when Madness are playing as
far as I'm concerned).

As the song was gradually changing into House of Fun things started
to turn onto the subject of a bit of love action and musical condoms.
Then after that, was the moment where Joe broke into the flats to
impress Sarah and the separation sequence took place. This was so
well done, with two doors appearing on the stage, a white and a black
one and then in turn good Joe running out of the white door, in a
white tracksuit and being caught, then bad Joe running out of the
black door, in a black tracksuit and getting away, all with Steve
Brookstein singing Simple Equation in-between (I think!). I couldn't
help but think the tracksuits looked a bit neddish/chavvish though....

After that the story alternated between good Joe and bad Joe wearing
his different colour tracksuits. Good and bad Joe scenes were also
distinguished by a row of doors on either side of the stage which were
black on one side and white on the other, and rotated accordingly to
match which Joe was was onstage at the time.

Highlights for me personally included the bit during My Girl where
they were literally falling over each other as they were drunk, which
must have been very hard to choreograph. Especially if they were
actually sober. Driving in my Car was good too, with a filmed
backdrop of London roads followed by more outlandish footage such as
a rollercoaster which was genuinely frightening! The Sun and The Rain
was excellent and there was actually a point where the umbrellas
looked like they had legs, the top half of the dancers were covered
that well! There was one bit, I can't remember what bit it was now,
but they must have had two people playing Joe as he was running out of
one side of the stage and emerging from the other side a second later.
I think it was where he's going into jail again.

It says in the programme that Our House is in the Guiness Book of
Records for the fastest costume change, which is easy to believe as
there was one costume change where you really would have missed it if
you blinked.

NW5 worked extremely well in place of Sarah's song, although I did
miss Sarah's song, and there were a few other songs which had been
taken out and were missed.

I felt some of the songs were given a new interpretation, especially
It Must Be Love, which was sung beautifully as a very touching,
lovelorn duet.

The ending as we all know is kind of bittersweet with bad Joe's mum
dying but good Joe's mum making it out alive and Joe returning home,
followed by a wedding.

Overall it was a great show, the acting was brilliant and energetic,
and there were lots of doors. My friends all enjoyed it and bought
programmes but it was a shame more people didn't come along as they
missed a good show.

Suzanne

P.S. For those of you who don't know, a ned is like the Scottish
version of a chav, although to be fair, if he was really trying
to achieve a ned look, he would've tucked the bottom of his
trousers into his socks.

[8] - SPANISH TRAVELS AND BACKSTAGE BILBAO

Sometimes doing this online Madness reporting hobby thing can really
pay you back in unexpected ways. I enjoy meeting up with many fans,
and I make many friends enjoying a shared interest in this music. But
just occasionally a fan invites me to something special, and on this
occasion the invitation was to Spain.

Mikel had written things for MIS before and we had met at Wembley and
the 02 shows a couple of times, for me to know this was a kind and
genuine offer from a big fan of the band. It only took some good cheap
airfare advice and some nice photographs of the area and of course
Madness announcing a gig at Bilbao to turn this offer into a planned
trip. Enjoy the hospitality of Spain, a country I had never
previously visited and see Madness play to a foreign crowd for my
first time, seemed like a very good plan to me.

So this is what I did on my holidays.

FAN SEBASTIAN

Dan algun buen concierto aqui?

Which means 'Are there any good concerts on?' in Spanish.
This is the phrase I greet Mikel with at the airport, because it was
in my phrase book. Well, I manage a slow badly pronounced English
incorrect reading of the words anyways.

I don't think Mikel knows what I'm on about and smiles politely and
nervously at the strange Englishman whose humour perhaps bounces
over everyone heads in Spain, even more so than is usual at times.

Over the weekend I find the language barrier harder than I had
imagined. I'm outside of the most regular tourist areas, I am
visiting San Sebastian and Bilbao. I hadn't known this region
spoke Basque, as does Mikel with his wife and his 2 delightful
young children, as well as speaking Spanish. And I know very little
of either. I had thought with my Spanish phrasebook I could get into
it a bit, but I get downhearted with that idea, I realise it's not
just a case of reading the words, I need an understanding of the
sounds made in Spanish and that a few helpful stock phrases doesn't
let me be very expressive anyway, or make an impression in a region
with some Basque speaking. I become very good at over large gestures,
pointing and expressive blown up facial expressions and head nodding
as a result. Don't get me wrong though, I knew that Mikel spoke
brilliant English, and articulately, from his times studying in London
and Glasgow and he barely struggles for the correct word all weekend,
and so we have a great time discussing Spain, his life, Fandom, the
band, England, and allsorts. But I drop most of my attempts at
Spanish, except for shouting 'Fernando Torres.' at Mikel's son Pablo
on occasion.

It's so very kind of Mikel to arrange all the details for me in Spain,
from airport pick up to accommodation, to food and drink and
translations. I have bought him a stash of Madness gifts which I give
out when we arrive at his flat in San Sebastian. An 80's covering copy
of Tour Madness, plenty of Hackney goodies and a wristband, that Q
magazine and more. Key rings and our house patches I decide to give
to his children instead.

Mikel puts on Complete Madness to make me feel right at home. This
is the album we both got into Madness through, and while I'm admiring
sliver discs on the wall, and London Tube maps of old, I'm handed a
large ring binder box folder. He explained this was his Madness
singles collection. No doubt, like me at home he's got them all,
45's, poster sleeves, picture discs etc neatly in plastic sleeves in
this box, along with a few rarities too.

It must be love, it must be love, it must be love, it must be love,
it must be love, it must be love, it must be love, it must be love,

The whole box, every country, promo, test pressing, particularly
Japanese versions I'd never seen. Then the same for Cardiac Arrest
every country and label variation again and again.

Ah one of those collectors!!

I mean I've seen a fair few foreign singles pictured online or at
record fairs before, and I've indulged in the odd Geffen American
picture sleeve or foreign language One Step Beyond on vinyl, but I've
never quite understood the need for every similar but slightly
different world pressing to be collected. I'm not knocking it either
though. Impressive collection, but of the many assumptions people make
of me writing and editoring for MIS is that my collection is this
large or that collectors have often shown me their collections before.
No, as much as I'm interested, this is the first time. I find it
interesting to a point, but I don't request every other box that no
doubt lives alongside it. Appropriate singles box to show me though,
It must be love of collecting Madness records, for sure.

Clearly this is like a Madness fan exchange trip, but there is plenty
of time in this day to put our shared music interest to one side and
take in the life and scenes of San Sebastian instead, and a beautiful
and tranquil place it is too. From the cafe life of enjoying a wine
and creme croquettes outside in the town centre square, to the amazing
views from the beach to the mountainous bay. From the giant hill top
statue of Christ, (of whom we ask to bless the Madness gig with
better weather than the light rain we are having today), to the best
pizza mine in the whole of Spain. :-) I spend a lot of the day
being shown or exploring this picturesque bay side town. Glorious
stylish and relaxed, and very different to midlands UK.

Ever since the House Of Fun video fairgrounds have felt Madness like
to me. It's a reoccurring theme. San Sebastian has a traditional one
on top of the mountainous hill overlooking the whole town and the bay
beach. A beautiful view and a fairground Suggs would be happy to
visit if he ever does disappearing Espania. We visit with the young
ones in tow, It's old school bumper cars we are driving in and the
cassa del terror looked like spooky ghost train fun for children.
Una Million bumps later (because me and Pablo definitely won by
the way! by a huge margin!), we head back down the mountain side.
Hola Pablo keep up the driving!

That evening Mikel takes me to drink in the centre of the old part
of the town. Visiting the 'DBBR' bar. I don't know if anyone else
reading this lives in or will ever visit San Sebastian, but on the
remote chance anyone does, go for a drink here. The small town centre
bar belongs to friends of Mikel that share a taste for new wave 70's,
80's music, A One Step Beyond sleeve appears in the display inside
the bar and on it's external mural, and soon to be on it's record
covered cafe tables too. They play this era of music and it's
already a haven for characters into this type of music. We sit
drinking Sidra and eating olives. (well actually I tried one didn't
like it much, but you have to try the culture, and the local cider
do I enjoy at length, until I'm very happy but tired from the 4am
start to fly here.) At one point I manage to have a twenty minute
one sided conversation with a local drunk and his small white haired
dog. I understood the dog more. I wonder what the man was on about?
Woes of the world clearly visible in his eyes I achieve the world
record in consoling by nodding and dog patting.

The next morning I awake to watch the San Fermin bull run on TV and
really feel like I'm taking in Spain now. They look like a party crowd
I hope the Madness gig has an atmosphere at least half as good as
these people on my TV, chucking wine at each other and larking around
in groups.

IN BILBAO THE BEER IT WAS THROWN!

Mikel and his brother drive north to take me to the more city sized
Bilbao on the evening of my second day. A day we had spent visiting
an old fashioned burger bar, Mikels equally mad themed office and
a couple more drinks and views of the country. Bilbao is equally
overlooked on by mountainous hills I notice as we arrive in the
very clean city.

We see large tarpaulin signs up on the main city street's lampposts
advertising the BBK concert which has been going on for two days
already (and got a little muddy by all accounts) with the Police and
Rem having headlined amongst many others bands playing. It's nice to
see the word Madness up on every third lamppost you pass.

Mikel's Brother introduces me to his favourite drink Kalimotxo,
And I give him a Madness badge to look the part at the gig, and
we drink other beer Mahou in a small bar, eating local cured ham
and watching the Wimbledon final. The custom here being to pay after
drinking. That could be troublesome for me, I'd be too drunk to
remember how many drinks I had had If I lived here! It turns out the
bar can't remember either and we get cheap beer or as they say
locally in a Basque phrase 'the beer it was thrown'.

Coming back from the bar we notice the local authority workers taking
the festival signs down. We have to get one! A bit of negotiation
explains we can have the sign but not it's metal hanger so we rip
and cut the thing of it's rail and now I have the makings of a beer
proof banner for the 02 show!

Around 9pm we get the courtesy buss up the mountain, past the local
gypsies and into the straw covered fields of the Bilbao festival.
Rocks to our right, beer tents to our left. An advertising balloon for
a local condom brand floating above us, huge crowds of people and a
large stage in front of us. And Madness due at Midnight.

Some local Skinheads and Mods are here in the fashions. At a concert
featuring a Blues Brothers tribute, ZZ Top and Madness it's always
going to be a little confusing who the small black hat are here to
support!!!, but we spot one fez also. Well done. It travels heads
the same way that lone fez did at that Damaged Goods concert in
Finchley! Universal fez sharing is a wonderful thing.

I watch and enjoy ZZ Top rock out. You wouldn't have expected this
to be a good warm up for Madness but to this crowd a bit of rock
goes down well and I get into it. Though I know few songs by this
band, Sharp Dressed Man and various references to sunglasses stand
out against some great guitar riffing. Hang on a minute they are on
an hour late? oh dear 1am Madness then? Still surprisingly good warm
up for Madness by these veteran rock beards, a good set and good
sound. More Kalimotxo (pronounced Kally mooch O) and I really get
into the concert mood as darkness descends.

FOREVER GAZTEA

Then Mikel informed me of something funny, Which I recounted on my
return home later to Graham Yates by this email....

'Hello from stanstead airport bus terminal.

Right That story...

So get this...

We all know that my name in English can be made into Johnny which
indeed when added to the word Rubber is the English euphemism for
that well know type of contraception. So sure at school occasionally
I'd get that joke in class 'can I borrow your rubber Johnny?'

But in Bilbao at the Madness concert they were giving away free
condoms in the crowd. (some became volley balls! of course) I
thought this was pretty cool and they dodn't probably know about
the songs lyrics to House of Fun which made this so appropriate.
They had a big balloon (no doubt from a box of!) floating in
the sky, ground tethered. Advertising the local Basque brand
which was 'Gaztea' pronounced GAZ-TEE-A only the first a is
backwards in how