Who sings this song?

Tina M. Bennett

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tina

Jen

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

This song has been performed/recorded by dozens - among them:

Kenny Rogers (what's my cut from this? ha ha), Olivia Newton-John, Tom
Jones etc

Here are the complete lyrics -

Take care

Jen

HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT

Take the ribbon from your hair, shake it loose and let it fall
Lay it soft upon my skin like the shadows on the wall
Come and lay down by my side, 'till the early morning light
All I'm takin' is your time, help me make it through the night

BRIDGE:
I don't care what's right or wrong, I don't try to understand
Let the devil take tomorrow, Lord tonight I need a friend

Yesterday is dead and gone, and tomorrow's out of sight
And it's sad to be alone, help me make it through the night
I don't wanna be alone, help me make it through the night

Johan Vorster

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Tina M. Bennett wrote:

> I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
> that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
> Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
> of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Tina

The title of the song is "Help me make it through the night". If I am
not mistaken, it was first recorded by Kris Kristofferson.

Ronald E. Hontz

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96
to Jen

Jen wrote:

> au...@yfn.ysu.edu (Tina M. Bennett) wrote:
>
> >I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
> >that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
> >Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
> >of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> This song has been performed/recorded by dozens - among them:
>
> Kenny Rogers (what's my cut from this? ha ha), Olivia Newton-John, Tom
> Jones etc

Hi there, NZ person!!! Lotsa folks put songs on their albums but the #1 single was by
songstress Sammi Smith in 1971. Willie Nelson took a remake to #4 in 1980.

Loral Johnson

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

On 19 Sep 1996 18:36:32 GMT, au...@yfn.ysu.edu (Tina M. Bennett)
wrote:

>I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
>that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
>Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
>of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>

>Tina

Tina,

You lose the bet! Sorry. The song is by Kris Kristoferson called
"Help Me Make It Through The Night"

Here you go:

Help Me Make It
Through The Night

Words and music by Kris Kristofferson

Take the ribbon from your hair, Shake it loose and let it fall,
Layin' soft upon my skin. Like the shadows on the wall.
Come and lay down by my side till the early morning light
All I'm takin' is your time. Help me make it through the night.

I don't care what's right or wrong,

I don't try to understand.
Let the devil take tomorrow.
Lord, tonight I need a friend.

Yesterday is dead and gone
and tomorrow's out of sight.
And it's sad to be alone.

Help me make it through the night.

I don't care what's right or wrong, (Yes, I do!)
I don't try to understand.
Let the devil take tomorrow.
Lord, tonight I need a friend.

Yesterday is dead and gone
and tomorrow's out of sight.
Lord, it's bad to be alone.

Wayne Garvin

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

(posted to alt.music.lyrics and e-mailed to Tina M. Bennett)

On 19 Sep 1996 18:36:32 GMT au...@yfn.ysu.edu (Tina M. Bennett) wrote:
>I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
>that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
>Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
>of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not a country music fan but I think the song you're referring to is
"Help Me Make It Through The Night" which was a #1 hit in 1971 for Sammi
Smith. A lot of artists have covered this song but I don't know if Kenny
Rogers was one of them. There's probably a few country music fans in the
newsgroup who can name some of the male artists that covered this song.

HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT

- written by Kris Kristofferson

Take the ribbon from your hair, shake it loose and let it fall
Lay it soft upon my skin like the shadows on the wall

Come and lay down by my side, till the early morning light
All I'm takin' is your time, help me make it through the night

I don't care what's right or wrong, I won't try to understand

Let the devil take tomorrow, Lord tonight I need a friend

Yesterday is dead and gone, and tomorrow's out of sight
And it's sad to be alone, help me make it through the night

I don't wanna be alone, help me make it through the night

Wayne Garvin, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

The Lyrics Library: http://www.kw.igs.net/~wgarvin/Lyrics/Lyrics.html

Latest FAQ for
alt.music.lyrics: http://www.kw.igs.net/~wgarvin/Lyrics/aml-faq.txt

Jerry & Peg Stingley

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Jerry & Peg Stingley
pe...@novia.net

Johan Vorster <johan....@idt.baps.com> wrote in article
<324223...@idt.baps.com>...

> Tina M. Bennett wrote:
> >
> > I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
> > that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From
> > Her Hair".

> > Tina
>
> The title of the song is "Help me make it through the night". If I am
> not mistaken, it was first recorded by Kris Kristofferson.

Very possibly, although the 'big hit' was released by Sammi Smith.

Carl Navarro

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

au...@yfn.ysu.edu (Tina M. Bennett) wrote:

>I hope you can help me. I have a bet going with a friend
>that Kenny Rogers sings the song "Take the Ribbons From

>Her Hair". I'm not sure if that is the title or just some
>of the lyrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Tina
Hope it was a small bet :).

If Kenny Rogers sang it, it doesn't show up in the charts or on a
greatest hits collection.

The tune is "Help me make it through the night". Originally done by
Sammi Smith in 1971 (Both Pop and Country versions), it was also made
into a hit by Willie Nelson in 1980. The Nelson version might be the
one you thought was Kenny Rogers.

Carl Navarro

Ray DiPirro

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96
to au...@yfn.ysu.edu

You may be thinking of the song For The Good Times by
Charlie Pride (I think)..
--

Ray Dipirro (rdip...@ipbm.com)

Ray DiPirro

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96
to au...@yfn.ysu.edu

Sorry, wrong song.. I believe it is Help Me Make It Through
The Night...
--

Ray Dipirro (rdip...@ipbm.com)