who sings A Dog Named Blue

The Shadow

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

You may be talking about "Me and You and a Dog Named Blue", probably
done around 1970/1970. I want to say it was done by Lobo, but I know
that's not right. It was a Lobo/America type group.

I remember the chorus only:

Me and you and a dog named Blue
Travelin' and livin' off the land
Me and you and a dog named Blue
(I can't even remember this line)

Dave Kirsch wrote:

> > I have been hearing a song on the radio on occasion called A Dog Named
> > Blue. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the groups name. Any ideas?
>
> Hi Kathleen -
>
> I'm not sure just how recent the song is but Peter, Paul and Mary sang "A
> Dog Named Blue" many years ago. Does that help?
>
> Dave Kirsch
> kirs...@norwich.net

Gregory Wolfe

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

The Shadow <TheS...@x-net.basement1.nyc.ny.gov> wrote:

>You may be talking about "Me and You and a Dog Named Blue", probably
>done around 1970/1970. I want to say it was done by Lobo, but I know
>that's not right. It was a Lobo/America type group.
>
>I remember the chorus only:
>
>Me and you and a dog named Blue
{Blue, or Boo? I can
never decide!}

>Travelin' and livin' off the land
>Me and you and a dog named Blue
>(I can't even remember this line)

"How I love bein' a free man"

Neil Koomen

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

> You may be talking about "Me and You and a Dog Named Blue", probably
> done around 1970/1970. I want to say it was done by Lobo, but I know
> that's not right.

That's "BOO!"

(Oops, scared myself!)

Lobo is correct, although I think Lobo is actually a Canadian guy, not a
band. He had another hit with a real macho Neil Diamond-style song a few
years later.

> I remember the chorus only:
>
> Me and you and a dog named Blue

> Travelin' and livin' off the land
> Me and you and a dog named Blue
> (I can't even remember this line)

It's:
"How I love being a free man"

Kennyyyyyy

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Maybe you're talking about the old song, Me and You and A Dog Named Boo?
This song was done by Lobo.

Kenny
Kenny...@aol.com

Ted D Horwitz

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

>That's "BOO!"

>(Oops, scared myself!)

Does anybody know if the person who originally asked to identify this
song ever got the message? As has been previously discussed, I believe the
requested song is not Lobo's "Me and You and a dog named Boo", but an old
country (/bluegrass?) standard called "Old Blue", which was covered on the
Byrds' "Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde" album in the late 60s.

Had an old dog and his name was Blue,
Betcha five dollars he's a good dog too.

Ted

Opinionated person

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

> Does anybody know if the person who originally asked to identify this
> song ever got the message? As has been previously discussed, I believe the
> requested song is not Lobo's "Me and You and a dog named Boo", but an old
> country (/bluegrass?) standard called "Old Blue", which was covered on the
> Byrds' "Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde" album in the late 60s.
>
> Had an old dog and his name was Blue,
> Betcha five dollars he's a good dog too.
>
> Ted

Assuming he/she's reading the ng, probably yes, the person has gotten
the message. We've gotten sidetracked w/the Lobo hit, obviously.

The Byrds' version of "Old Blue" seems to be me to be by far the
most-often cited version here, I've noticed; must be a lot of Byrds
fans on this newsgroup!

Craig Newson

Nov 5, 2020, 6:23:20 PM11/5/20

Craig Newson

Nov 5, 2020, 6:27:00 PM11/5/20
originally sung by barry crump from new zealand in 60s