"Uninvited"/Alanis Morissette Lyrics

Ryan Kawailani Ozawa

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

Hearing the song in a theater with the sound up full blast really helps
clear up some of Alanis' enunciation. Here's my best guess, concentrating
mostly on the mysteries in lines 11 and 18.

She does say 'shepherd' twice, and there _is_ a bitty 'love' squeezed
between 'experienced (though the 'd' isn't easily audible) and 'like
mine.'

"Uninvited," by Alanis Morissette (Unofficial)
"City of Angels" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Like anyone would be,
I am flattered by your fascination with me.
Like any hot blooded woman,
I have simply wanted an object to crave.
But you... you're not allowed.
You're uninvited --
An unfortunate slight.

Must be strangely exciting
To watch the stoic squirm;
Must be somewhat heartening
to watch shepherd meet shepherd.
But you... you're not allowed.
You're uninvited --
An unfortunate slight.

Like any uncharted territory,
I must seem greatly intriguing.
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before.
But this is not allowed.
You're uninvited --
An unfortunate slight.

I don't think you unworthy;
I need a moment to deliberate...

Interpretation by R.K. & J.E. Ozawa <oz...@hawaii.edu>
Adapted from unofficial version posted by the Alanis Morissette Network.
Official lyrics copyright 1998 Warner Bros.

Anonymous

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

>Must be somewhat heartening
>to watch shepherd meet shepherd.

OK, this is how I see it.

Must be somewhat hard telling
To watch shepherd need shepherd

In the movie, Seth (Nick Cage's character), who, as an angel, is a
"shepherd", falls from angeldom and becomes human, thus needing a
"shepherd", in this case, his angel buddy, Andre Braugher's character.

Opinions welcome. Look for the line-by-line interpretation soon.

Jeremy

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

> OK, this is how I see it.
>
> Must be somewhat hard telling
> To watch shepherd need shepherd

It thought it was maybe shepherd NEED sheperd or sheperd LEAD
shepherd...

M Mcglohon

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

>It thought it was maybe shepherd NEED sheperd or sheperd LEAD
>shepherd...

I read somewhere it was "Must be somewhat hard telling to watch it burn
me, shepherd" but I myself don't have any opinion. I can't tell.

-M

Ryan Ozawa

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:50:33 -0400 Anonymous (an...@nowhere.net) said:
> >Must be somewhat heartening
> >to watch shepherd meet shepherd.
> OK, this is how I see it.
> Must be somewhat hard telling
> To watch shepherd need shepherd

My first guess was 'need,' and my wife and I debated it a while. The 'n'
or 'm' sound is the toughest ambiguity in the song (though we're convinced
it's one or the other).

Your theory (Cage needing Braugher) is interesting. I guess the question
is how closely related the lyrics are to the movie's plot. I'm not so sure
they're related, except for the basic theme of a reluctant admiree.

We went with 'meet' because you would _see_ someone 'need' something. It's
hard to _watch_ a 'need,' but you can watch a meeting.

--
Ryan Kawailani Ozawa _ aka Prophet Zarquon
Professional Student, University of Hawai`i-Manoa oz...@hawaii.edu

Anonymous

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In the movie, Seth (Nick Cage's character), who, as an angel, is a
"shepherd", falls from angeldom and becomes human, thus needing a
"shepherd", in this case, his angel buddy, Andre Braugher's character.

Either that OR Seth needs Maggie (Meg Ryan), who, as a doctor, is somewhat
of a shepherd. Also, she could be a shepherd in that she teaches Seth human
ways.

As always, opinions welcome.

filip....@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 9:06:46 AM4/16/15
Amazing that this thread still exists :)