Peter Frampton: Do You Feel Like We Do - Help With This Part...

Mark Kayfabe

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
After seeing Peter Frampton on VH-1 the other day (although he now looks
like someone's dad), I went back and listened to "Do You Feel Like We Do"
again. I never really thought about what he was really saying, so I did a
little digging and found his website (Frampton.Com). He's got lyrics there,
but when I pull up the lyrics, below is what it lists for the part of the
song I still can't figure out:

"Champagne for breakfast and a sherman in my hand
***** top, ***** tails - never fails
Must have been a dream I don’t believe where I’ve been
Come on - you wanna do it again?"

What the hell are the (*****'s) for? I assumed it was swearing, but nothing
fits. In the song, it sounds like he says "Pete".

By the way, what the hell's a "sherman", besides a tank?

Todd & Sharon Peach

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
to Childuf60s
Childuf60s wrote:

> Here's what I found at Todd Peach's superb site...and lord knows what a Sherman
> is! ;)
>
> Track Title: Do You Feel Like We Do

Ahem.

Thanks for the kind words. Ironically, "Sherman" is my middle name (no,
really).

In this case, I believe Sherman refers to the brand of cigarette.

"Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand."

While not an expert on the subject, Shermans are near the top of the
heap for cigarettes in the USA. Generally available only in smoke
shops. One characteristic of them is that they have no saltpeter in
them to augment the burning. Left alone in an ashtray, they will
self-extinguish.

Ah, the lessons of a mis-spent youth.
-Todd
--
Todd & Sharon Peach
Seattle, Washington

Childuf60s

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Here's what I found at Todd Peach's superb site...and lord knows what a Sherman
is! ;)

Track Title: Do You Feel Like We Do

Album Title: Have A Nice Decade: disc 7
Prime Artist: Peter Frampton
Producer: Peter Frampton
Written by: Rick Wills

Written by: John Siomos
Written by: Peter Frampton
Written by: Michael Gallagher

Lyrics:
Well, woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand.
Whose wine? What wine? Where the hell did I dine?
Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.
Come on, let's do it again.

Do you...you, feel like I do?
How'd ya feel?
Do you...you, feel like I do?

My friend got busted, just the other day.
They said,"Don't walk, don't walk, don't walk away."
Drove him to a taxi, bent the boot, hit the bag.
Had to play some music, wonder why's he [brag or drag].

Do you...you, feel like I do?
How'd ya [turns from mic, can't catch it]?
Do you...you, feel like I...

[1st guitar solo]

Do you...you, feel like I do?
Yes ya do.
Do you...you, feel like I do?

Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand.

Peached up, Peached Ale, never fails.
Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.
Come on, let's do it again.

Do you...you, feel like I do?
How'd ya feel?
Do you...you, feel like I...

[keyboard solo]

"Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo"

Do you feel like we do?
Do you feel like we do?
Oh, that's true.
Do you feel like we do?
Get back.
Do you feel..do you feel like we do?

[2nd guitar solo]

[start voice box]

Oh baby do you feel?
Oh baby do you feel, feel like we do?
Do you feel...do you feel...like we do?
I want to thank you.
Do you feel like we do?
That's alright, that's alright to feel you'd like,
Feel you'd like, a good time.
We'll goto bed and good night.
Good night, good night, good night, good night, good night.
tpe...@gte.net

jaZZ

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Todd & Sharon Peach said:

>Childuf60s wrote:
>>
>> Here's what I found at Todd Peach's superb site...and lord knows what a Sherman
>> is! ;)
>>
>> Track Title: Do You Feel Like We Do
>>

>Ahem.
>
>Thanks for the kind words. Ironically, "Sherman" is my middle name (no,
>really).
>
>In this case, I believe Sherman refers to the brand of cigarette.

Sherman refers to 'Sherman Stick', a joint dipped in
formaldehyde or laced with Angel Dust (PCP).

--
"
The sun comes up and we all learn that wheels must turn."

OpalFaery

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98

>>In this case, I believe Sherman refers to the brand of cigarette.
>
> Sherman refers to 'Sherman Stick', a joint dipped in
> formaldehyde or laced with Angel Dust (PCP).

sherman IS a BRAND of cigarette.

sfcro...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 7:51:48 AM8/31/18
A Sherman is a large bottle of champagne ...

p.fe...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2019, 9:26:20 AM3/3/19
Back in those days a Sherman was a brand of cigarette dipped in angel dust. Very popular at the time.

Mack A. Damia

Mar 3, 2019, 3:21:07 PM3/3/19
Nope. Sherman was and is an expensive brand of cigarette. Nothing to
do with angel dust.

http://www.smokers-mall.com/cigarettes/nat-sherman.aspx

"Nat Sherman is the brand name for a line of handmade cigars and
"luxury cigarettes." The company, which began as a retail tobacconist,
continues to operate a flagship retail shop now located on 42nd
Street, off Fifth Avenue, in New York City. Corporate offices are now
located at the foot of the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, New
Jersey." (Wiki)

He began manufacturing cigarettes in the 1950s.

p.fe...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2019, 8:31:08 PM3/3/19
I most definitely agree we you. NAT Sherman's are an expensive cigarette in a brown wrapper known as Sherman's. In the 70s they were popular amongst the hip crowd for being dipped in animal tranquilizers (angel dust) and smoked. I wanted to add that I doubted Peter Frampton was part of that culture or that he was singing about that type of Sherman but could not find my way back to the post to edit it.

Mack A. Damia

Mar 3, 2019, 9:14:08 PM3/3/19
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 17:31:07 -0800 (PST), p.fe...@gmail.com wrote:

>I most definitely agree we you. NAT Sherman's are an expensive cigarette in a brown wrapper known as Sherman's. In the 70s they were popular amongst the hip crowd for being dipped in animal tranquilizers (angel dust) and smoked. I wanted to add that I doubted Peter Frampton was part of that culture or that he was singing about that type of Sherman but could not find my way back to the post to edit it.

Urban Dictionary:

1. sherms (drugs)
Variation of sherm and shermstick, tobacco mixed with weed and dipped
in pcp.

Called sherms because they look like expensive brown paper Nat Sherman
cigarettes or mini-cigars nats.

2. Sherm
A joint/cigarette dipped in LIQUID PCP not embalming fluid. The
embalming fluid is most commonly used to disguise the drug term PCP
for non-drug talkers. REAL EMBALMING FLUID MAY CAUSE DEATH AFTER
SMOKING.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sherms

But as you said, I don't think this is what Peter Frampton had in
mind unless there is something we don't know. I think he was
referring to the expensive cigarettes.

Daniel Rabourn

Jan 27, 2024, 10:35:32 AMJan 27
Sherman was a cigarette laced with PCP. I remember them well from the late 70's.