Luis crossing over to English albums

UACATS76

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I would like to hear from his fans as to whether or not they want him to cross
over into English. I personally do not want him to do this. Although I don't
understand Spanish, I believe he will lose his charm and charisma doing this.
What do you think? Jeanette (UACA...@aol.com)

Sylvia

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I'd like to hear him do an English album, perhaps just once. It would be
kind of neat to hear him with his sexy Latin accent sing an occasional song
in English during his concerts. I had the privilege of hearing him in L.A.
in '95, sing a duet with one of his backup singer/girls. They sang, "How do
you keep the music playing". But I DON'T EVER want him to stop singing
Spanish. No one can do it like him.
I don't think LM would lose his charm or charisma if he belted out a few
English songs either. He still has that inner & outer beauty that charms
his audiences worldwide, no matter what language. :) -Sylvia

Glimrtwinz

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
>I believe he will lose his charm and charisma doing this.

I THINK THE SAME. I would not even buy his English album.

Sylvia

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Webster's New World Dictionary: CHARM: n. to attract or please greatly;
enchant; allure; fascinate; delight. CHARISMA: n., grace, beauty,
kindness.
Singing in English will NOT take these qualities away from Luis Miguel.
Luis will always be sweet & charming, and all of the aforementioned. No
matter what language.
I hate to get into semantics but I was forced to do this. I couldn't just
sit by and let this one go. -Sylvia
ps. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't buy his English album.
Wouldn't you be curious as hell!

Glimrtwinz wrote in message
<19981017082627...@ng-cr1.aol.com>...

Phcate

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I would buy it, of course, but I love Spanish so think he should stick to
Spanish which is a more melodic language than English.

By the way, WHEN can we expect the new cd? I am getting impatient!

Tricia

Brie Clark

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I used to want LM to record an album in English but when I placed myself
in his place, only in reverse, trying to sing in Spanish instead of
English, I could see how I wouldn't be singing with all my feelings into
it, just thinking of pronouncing the words right. I think that's why LM
is hesitant on recording in English. The fact that he is such a
perfectionist, he wants to be able to sing with his feelings and not
worry about his pronounciation. And, the fact that it wouldn't bother us
if he sang with a Spanish accent (quite the contrary, we would find it
charming) is not good enough for him. HE wants to be perfect in
EVERYTHING he does and that includes singing without an accent. So I
understand why he hasn't recorded in English and I don't want to be one
of those who push him into doing something he feels he's not ready to
do. It may finally take him 2 or 3 years to record it and in the
meantime he could've recorded 3 albums in Spanish! I'd rather have the
Spanish albums anytime. They're more than enough for me. They're a
treasure to behold.
That's my humble opinion.

\m/ Brie

Summer Breeze

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I tell ya, there's nothing romantic about the english langguage. I
perfer Luis sing in spanish. He sings so romantic like, gives me the
goose bumps. Stick with spanish, Luis. But I don't need to tell you that
your smart enough to know that.

Cheers, Summer

BESOSDEORO

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I would love a english album, or maybe a spanglish album would sound great
also. Although it would have to be pop. Boleros translaton would have to be
done carefully. However I think see Luis Miguels goal. He wants to have a
spanish album debut at number one on the billboard charts. I'm talking about
the one which contains english stars. Not hot latin tracks! We saw segundo
Romances debuts at 27 and now ERES reports that Romances debuted at 14. If he
debuts a spanish album at number 1 the world would go crazy for an english
allbum. I think a double Marachi cd could be the one. Check out this math!

Segundo Romances 27-13 =14 Romances
Romance at 14 -13 =1 Double Marachi Cd.

Each jump is like 13. Although I not including pop albums because more young
people like me like them and not old people. While Boleros and Marachias are
bought by all age groups.

Alma Sola

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Whatever Lusimi would sing in I would buy. Be it Spanish, English, Italian,
Arabic or whatever.........LIZ

Recexec1

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I also think that Luis Miguel wants to have a Spanish Album that goes to #1 on
the Billboard charts. And not just the Latin Charts. If anyone can make this
happen it will be him. He's not in a hurry. He's very young. Julio Iglesias was
in his forties before he crossed over and he did it by singing a novelty song
with Willie Nelson. I just don't think that Micky is going to do anything like
that.

Eventually there will be a Spanish album that debuts at #1. I honestly think
that he'll have it and it will be another landmark for him.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>I have a hard time believing you wouldn't buy his English album.
>Wouldn't you be curious as hell!

Well, I've heard "come fly with me". Not impressed at all.
Yes I saw a charming, handsome young man, but I see
them in fashion magazines also. The exotic and mystery
were gone.
Singing in English might not take Charm away but the
Romanticism and Mistery will be gone (at least for me)
and they are part of his Charm.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>Boleros translaton would have to be
>done carefully.

I hope that he will not murder boleros. EVERYTHING
looses in translation especially the poetry. Why do the opera
singers learn Italian? Have you ever heard Italian opera
in Polish or Ukranian? I did and no matter what wonderful
voices were there it was the horrible experience. I've also
listned to Chaikovsky's "Eugine Onegin" in English and
it was terrible also. Beatles songs translated in Russian
sound like Sh&t, it's not Beatles anymore. Music does not
need translation.

Sylvia

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
It is my hope that if Luis does sing something in English it will be
something NO ONE has ever sung. I agree that something would be lost in the
translation of a classic bolero or one of his other original songs from past
albums. -Sylvia

Loreto

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

Alma Sola wrote

>Whatever Lusimi would sing in I would buy. Be it Spanish, English,
>Italian, Arabic or whatever.........LIZ

Liz...I totally agree!!!
LM's magnificent voice can definitely cross any language boundaries.

Loreto
Canad's #1 LM Fan

Loreto

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

Phcate wrote

>By the way, WHEN can we expect the new cd? I am getting impatient!

Tricia... I am going crazy in anticipation as well. It seems like it has
been years since his last CD. Doesn't he realize that he is torturing us
like this? I wonder what he is up to lately...

Loreto
Canada's #1 LM Fan

r...@sirius.com

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

> Singing in English will NOT take these qualities away from Luis Miguel.
> Luis will always be sweet & charming, and all of the aforementioned. No
> matter what language.

I'm curious, did Jobim ever "cross-over"? Or did the world "cross-over" to
Jobim? Praps M is waiting for the English speaking world to "cross-over" to
his side of the fence. But, a quadri-lingual album in Italian, Spanish,
Portugese & English might be nice........

-rio

suave2...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

As person who born & had sweet childhood memories in Russia like me,
Beatles songs in Russian is still terribly nostalgic & romantic & exotic.
Russian girl's Beatles song sound like an Angel's song to me.
I don't want to try to change your mind but I felt a little bit sad with your
words.I hope the reason was that may be the singer you heard was very bad at
interpretating and so you had that experience.

take care

Mari from Japan

In article <19981018000736...@ng-fc2.aol.com>,

MNassar

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>Well, I've heard "come fly with me". Not impressed at all.
>Yes I saw a charming, handsome young man, but I see
>them in fashion magazines also. The exotic and mystery
>were gone.
>Singing in English might not take Charm away but the
>Romanticism and Mistery will be gone (at least for me)
>and they are part of his Charm.
>
>I've gotta go along with you Anna on this one.
As wonderful, charming and handsome as our
guy is - it's his fantastic grasp of using his own
language in a way that only he can seem to
master above all the rest that makes him so
very unique. There's just NO ONE that
shines like he does in Spanish. I too heard
him in "Come Fly with me" and was very
unimpressed - just another English song
with not much flare like we are used to in
his music. What I'd personally like to see
is perhaps an album with a FEW English
songs mixed in with the Spanish, and maybe
not ALL English at that, maybe some VERSES
mixed in with the Spanish to give it a teasing
kind of effect for us Gringas. Now that would
be effective and even romantic and charming.
What do you all think about that? Mmmmm?
- Margo -

Sylvia

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

MNassar wrote in message <19981018160447...@ng55.aol.com>...

What I'd personally like to see
> is perhaps an album with a FEW English
> songs mixed in with the Spanish, and maybe
> not ALL English at that, maybe some VERSES
> mixed in with the Spanish to give it a teasing
> kind of effect for us Gringas>>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree. He did a wonderful job doing that in the song, "America". I liked
his video on that song too. :)
-Sylvia

MNassar

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>He did a wonderful job doing that in the song, "America". I liked
>his video on that song too. :)
>-Sylvia

Oh wow Sylvia - I forgot that album. He
WAS great on that doing a combo of English
and Spanish!! More of that would be very
welcome here!! Thanks for reminding me!
Carinos - Margo

Glimrtwinz

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>I hope the reason was that may be the singer you heard was very bad at
>interpretating and so you had that experience

I don't remember the names of the singers. I just used
it as an example. I've never been a fan of Beatles anyway.

BESOSDEORO

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Actually Boloeros have already had their crossovers. Armando Manzanero song
Somos Novios crossed over to english as a translation. I can not remember the
name of the song, but it was in the past like 60's or 70's and was a big hit
here in the u.s.

willie baker

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I think it was "Its Impossible".

Willie

Brie Clark

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
My mom says that Somos Novios was recorded in English by Perry Como as
"It's Impossible".

\m/ Brie

Glimrtwinz

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
>I agree. He did a wonderful job doing that in the song, "America". I liked

>his video on that song too

He is cute on this video, just because he is alwais cute, but I don't care at
all
about the song. It's too patriotic.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

I assume and I hope that I'm wrong that his English album will be type of
Aries or
Nada es Igual wth some up-tempo songs and some slow songs that sound all the
same and don't loose any face or character in translation
just because you can't loose what you don't have.

MSanc11428

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
>Luis crossing over to English albums

The one great advantage of Luismi doing an album in English is that he may
actually come to ENGLAND to promote it - he's completely unknown here (apart
from the Sinatra Duets II album). Whilst I LOVE him singing in Spanish, I'd
also love for him to get wider recognition and in England that usually means
you have to sing in English - unfair but true!!
We are not reknowned for being a nation of linguists.

Jane

Glimrtwinz

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

Maybe he better learn to sing in Chinese. The population in China is much much
latger then in England.

BESOSDEORO

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Did she like the song in english???

BESOSDEORO

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
How do you figure patrotic! Did it feel to american or mexican, becuase the
song was talking about all of the Americas.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>How do you figure patrotic! Did it feel to american or mexican, becuase the
>song was talking about all of the Americas.

It feels like something you would hear on some sort of
large gatherings. You know, like at the beginning of the game
or the competition someone sings an anthem, and I keep thinking: "get over with
this boring stuff and start the real thing". It's not romantic.

Phcate

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Wasn't it sung for the Olympics in Barcelona?
(A patriotic occasion)

Tricia

Glimrtwinz

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Yes, it was. That the place where it belongs.

che...@alphalink.com.au

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Hi!!!! I was just thinking...

Wouldn't be great if Luis released a double CD? containing 2 albums, in
spanisish and english. Most of his fan would buy them !!!! Includying the
english album which would help him to cross over and become more accesible to
places such as Australia!!!!! We'd love to have icky touring Melbourne one of
this days!!!!

che...@alphalink.com.au

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <19981019155840...@ng15.aol.com>,

msanc...@aol.com (MSanc11428) wrote:
> >Luis crossing over to English albums
>
> The one great advantage of Luismi doing an album in English is that he may
> actually come to ENGLAND to promote it - he's completely unknown here (apart
> from the Sinatra Duets II album). Whilst I LOVE him singing in Spanish, I'd
> also love for him to get wider recognition and in England that usually means
> you have to sing in English - unfair but true!!
> We are not reknowned for being a nation of linguists.
>
> Jane

I AGREE WITH YOU JANE 100 % !!!!!!

WHY KEEP LUIS MIGUEL A SECRET ? THE REST OF THE WORLD NEEDS TO DISCOVER HIM,
HE'S BEEN KEPT A SECRET FOR TOO MANY YEARS!!! I DON'T LIKE IT WHEN SOME PEOPLE
INSIST THAT LUIS SHOULD ONLY SING IN SPANISH, BY THAT ATITTUDE I THINK THEY'RE
NOT ONLY TRYING TO DESTROY MICKY'S INTERNATIONAL POTENTIAL, BUT THEY'RE TRYING
TO FOSSILIZE IT, KEEP LUIS IN A LANGUAGE THAT ONLY SOME CAN UNDERSTAND. DON'T
TAKE ME WRONG I LOVE SPANISH, IT'S MY MOTHER TONGUE, AND I REALLY ENJOY LUIS
MIGUEL'S SPANISH ALBUMS, BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR HIM TO GAIN
INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION HE MUST RECORD AN ENGLISH ALBUM. ENGLISH IS AT THE
MOMENT THE MOST INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE, AND THAT IS A FACT THAT EVEN MYSELF
BEING SPANISH I HAVE TO ADMIT. IT'S NOT EASY TO MAKE IT BIG IN THE SAXON MUSIC
WORLD, BUT I DEEPLY BELIEVE LUIS MIGUEL COUNTS WITH ALL THE NECESSARY ELEMENTS
TO SUCCEED, EVEN IF HE CAN'T SUCCEED , IF HE DOES IT AT LEAST HE WILL SAY " AT
LEAST I GAVE IT A GO", THERE'S ANOTHER SINGER WHO CANNOT BE COMPARED TO LUIS
MIGUEL, HE'S BEEN SINGING FOR A SHORTER PERIOD OF TIME THAN LUIS, YET HE'S
MAKING IT REALLY BIG INTERNATIONALLY SPEAKING, WHY? BECAUSE HE GAVE IT A TRY.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>Wouldn't be great if Luis released a double CD? containing 2 albums, in
>spanisish and english. Most of his fan would buy them !!!!

I don't know if it would be the greatest idea.
I don't think that people should be forced into
getting something that under different circumstances they would not do it. It's
not
classy and I believe that our guy is classy.

BESOSDEORO

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Yes, It was! Luis Miguel was the only latin artist invited to particpate in the
album. I believe Madonna, and Phil Collins were on it, and other bis stars.
Someone told me that at the opening games on NBC. They showed videos of the
artist on video and they aired Luis Miguel's video of America.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
<<Yes, It was! Luis Miguel was the only latin artist invited to particpate in
the
album.>>

What album are you talking about? The only
album that I know from that time, with different
artist on it (I don't recall their names) was
Barcelona Gold. However LM sings there
No Se Tu, not America.

Brie Clark

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
BESOSDEORO wrote:
>Did she like the song in english???
Sorry, B, didn't know the question was for me.
Yes, my Mom loves that song, "It's Impossible".
She says it's supposed to be one of the most beautiful songs ever
written and Perry Como sang it beautifully, like no other person has.

\m/ Brie

MSanc11428

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>ENGLISH ALBUMS

Micky deserves success in whichever language he CHOOSES to record. Music is (or
should be ) a universal language. The fact is, he could sing in Esperanto and
still make it sound sexy!!

BESOSDEORO

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Well he sang on that album, but they played his video of at the opening from
what I heard.

Glimrtwinz

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Oh well...He was singing there and that's what counts.

Marilyn Patton

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Brie,

Your mother's right, it was very nice, although the English version
isn't even close to the spanish lyrics.

Besides "It's Impossible" two other Manzanero songs have been released
in English: Esta Tarde Vi LLegar = Yesterday, I saw the rain (sung by
Andy Williams, I think. The third one was "Cuando vuelvo a tu lado"
which ended up as "What a difference a day makes." I don't know who sang
it.

Manzanero is definitely the Master! His songs are so rich, so
exquisitely written that it's no wonder that everyone (whatever the
language) wants to record them. My favorites of his are No Se Tu, Mia,
No, and Cuando Estoy Contigo.

Just my 2 cents,
Marilyn

BASTARDITO

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
In article <5920-362...@newsd-121.bryant.webtv.net>, Bri...@webtv.net (Brie Clark) wrote:
>I used to want LM to record an album in English but when I placed myself
>in his place, only in reverse, trying to sing in Spanish instead of
>English, I could see how I wouldn't be singing with all my feelings into
>it, just thinking of pronouncing the words right. I think that's why LM
>is hesitant on recording in English. The fact that he is such a
>perfectionist, he wants to be able to sing with his feelings and not
>worry about his pronounciation. And, the fact that it wouldn't bother us
>if he sang with a Spanish accent (quite the contrary, we would find it
>charming) is not good enough for him. HE wants to be perfect in
>EVERYTHING he does and that includes singing without an accent. So I
>understand why he hasn't recorded in English and I don't want to be one
>of those who push him into doing something he feels he's not ready to
>do. It may finally take him 2 or 3 years to record it and in the
>meantime he could've recorded 3 albums in Spanish! I'd rather have the
>Spanish albums anytime. They're more than enough for me. They're a
>treasure to behold.
>That's my humble opinion.
>
> \m/ Brie

When I heard him accept his award at the World Music's he spoke some English
and he must have a pretty good teacher (*how does he afford*) because his
English was pretty good so far. He had an accent but hell I've been speaking
English for 10 years and i can't get rid of mine.

CarolinaAg

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
>My favorites of his are No Se Tu, Mia,
>No, and Cuando Estoy Contigo.

Ooohhhh!!!! I looove "Mia" too!!!! Did you know that Luismi sang that song
too, alongside Armando Manzanero? Actually, that's how I was introduced to
that song and that's why I fell in love with it so much, cuz hearing Micky sing
it was just...aahhhhhh. But this was a long time ago, probably when he was
around 19-20 and it was on a show that Veronica Castro (Critian Castro's mom)
had on T.V.
~ Melissa

N1LuisMFan

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
Dear Sylvia,
I agree with you. I do believe Luis Miguel would sing beautiful in English as
he does in Spanish. I would like to see him do an album with both Spanish and
English. I do believe that it would sell so much better that way, and that he
could make another million fans right away! Once, you hear "El Rey", you are
his for life! That is my personal opinion!

kosimp...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 5:17:01 PM4/19/15
On Saturday, October 17, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, UACATS76 wrote:
> I would like to hear from his fans as to whether or not they want him to cross
> over into English. I personally do not want him to do this. Although I don't
> understand Spanish, I believe he will lose his charm and charisma doing this.
> What do you think? Jeanette (UACA...@aol.com)

yes do it

martin...@yahoo.com.ar

Jan 24, 2020, 1:48:21 AM1/24/20
Hi! More than 20 years have passed since this conversation, the music market has changed and Latin singers today have thanks to a more globalized market, the possibility of crossing previously unimaginable borders, today from my home in Carapachay (Buenos Aires, Argentina) I can rectify that this change in favor of Latin singers is due in large part to stars like Ricky Martin, Shakira and although the mediocre Enrique Iglesias hurts, however even today Luis Miguel is still the most relevant Latin artist of all times, the only one who defended his language and became a global star always singing in Spanish, today many Latin artists collaborate with English-speaking colleagues and do their parts in Spanish and we owe that to LM who was an example and reference that I carry Spanish as a flag and leave Latinos at the top of the world, in 2020 its popularity is very high, thanks to its lucrative tour (one of the largest in the world) his impeccable voice and unbeatable technique, his charisma and the great help of the successful Netflix biopic "Luis Miguel the series" maybe nobody sees this, this blog is expired, but Luismi is still valid, from 1982 until today, sum + of 100 million albums sold and 6 Grammy awards, always singing in Spanish, and although perhaps singing in English would have given it even more public, fame, money and a validity that despite having recovered it is undeniable that in recent years it had declined. but he remained in his conviction and desire and life smiles again, 22 years later we can say that he is still number 1, although it would seem to make no sense even micky is young, he did not turn 50 and can give us a gift album in English, but with those who gave us and surely giving singing in Spanish, enough and enough Long live the sun of Mexico!