Iced Honey / Lou Reed

Will Dockery

Oct 28, 2013, 10:53:37 AM10/28/13

"THE COLONEL" <dog...@caribbeancity.pl> wrote in message
news:l4lphi$hgn$1...@dont-email.me...
> "Will Dockery" wrote in message
> news:d0c22776-df5a-4647...@googlegroups.com...
>> Lou Reed 1942-2013.
>>
>> http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027
>>
>> Oh Jeeze, rest in peace.
>

> Another "odd bird" bites the dust.
> Amen.

Indeed.

As a Lou Reed fan from 1974, came on with the brilliant Rock-N-Roll Animal
live alnum, I found a lot of value in LuLu, Reed's final album, although I
still haven't
finished exploring it.

Immediately though, "Iced Honey" stands out as one of the very best of Lou
Reed, and others are gradually showing their layers of sound and vision.

As I wrote yesterday...

-------------------------------

Lou Reed 1942-2013 -

Oh, Jeeze... rest in peace.

http://youtu.be/O0JwTXezvsI

"Iced Honey" from that last album is among Lou Reed's best, in my opinion:

"You can't put a butterfly in a jar
If the effort's too high no matter who you are
You can't catch the moon, or the sun or the stars
It doesn't matter who you are
Iced honey..." -Lou Reed

Will Dockery

Nov 1, 2013, 10:58:29 AM11/1/13

<gen...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> cheap
>> cheap
>> cheap
>> cheap
>> uptown
>>
>> dirt
>

> that's all you're worth

http://timothyherrick.blogspot.com/2013/10/lou-reed-rules.html

Here's a worthwhile rememberance and tribute to Lou Reed, worth a look...

PAS

Nov 7, 2013, 10:31:21 AM11/7/13
"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Strange that it is noted that Lou couldn't afford NY hospitals so he went to
Ohio. He was worth millions, he could afford any hospital he wanted to use
and he may even have had insurance.

Will Dockery

Nov 10, 2013, 9:45:37 AM11/10/13
Laurie Anderson back in May or April alluded more to some other failings with New York hospitals..?

I know I just read in a magazine that Lou Reed left 15 million dollars to Laurie and his sister.

PAS

Nov 11, 2013, 8:57:09 AM11/11/13
"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
There are some fantastic hospitals in NYC but I would certainly trust that
both Lou and Laurie went to the one they were comfortable with and had
legitimate reasons for using the one they did rather than another.

> I know I just read in a magazine that Lou Reed left 15 million dollars to
> Laurie and his sister.

Yep, that's what his estate is worth. I'll bet the NYC apartment and the
Long Island house account for a good chunk of that. Glad to hear that Lou
had some fruit for his labor. There are far less talented and important
artists who make a ton of money but Lou seemed to be very content in life
when it came to that. Remind me a lot of Ian Hunter. I noted to him that
with his great song writing talent and performing that he should have made
millions and millions. He commented to me that he was perfectly happy with
hat he had and didn't care to be in that kind of income bracket.

Will Dockery

Nov 15, 2013, 6:21:03 AM11/15/13

"Hieronymous" <hierony...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You see what you want to see.

I'm seeing -and reading- Lou Reed's poetry right now.

http://www.loureed.nl/Lou_Reed_poems.html

"On this site you can find 8 poems written by Lou Reed. They where published
in "The Coldspring Journal" from January 1976..."

And so it goes.

THE COLONEL

Nov 15, 2013, 8:39:44 AM11/15/13
Mostly he was just a fucked up, drugged out dipshit from the swamp state.

Will Dockery

Nov 16, 2013, 10:33:32 AM11/16/13
Back in Creem Magazine 1970s there were like three major interviews by
Lester Bangs with Lou Reed, these were as important to following Reed as his
albums back then in some ways. I came on a brief excerpt today, while
looking for something else, and think/wish that these interview/essays could
be collected and put out, heavy and hilarious readings, captured Lou Reed
/and/ Lester Bangs as two rock-n-roll animals in the cage...

http://us.arts.poetry.narkive.com/05h6L9mQ/the-king-of-autumn-shadowville-all-stars.3

Post by Stuart Leichter
venomous little dwarf.

Post by Will Dockery
Nice image, unique for the mythos.

I was quoting your pal Cythera like verbatim.
We've never met.
Post by Stuart Leichter

Post by Will Dockery
... though personally it reminds me of

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/187/4288/320/jjclr4125a1.jpg

"...In other words, Lou Reed is a completely depraved pervert and
pathetic death dwarf and everything else you want to think he is. On
top of that he's a liar, a wasted talent, an artist continually in
flux, and a huckster selling pounds of his own flesh. A panderer...

Lou Reed is the guy that gave dignity and poetry and rock 'n' roll to
smack, speed, homosexuality, sadomasochism, murder, misogyny,
stumblebum passivity, and suicide, and then proceeded to belie all his
achievements and return to the mire by turning the whole thing into a
monumental bad joke with himself as the woozily insistent Henny
Youngman in the center ring, mumbling punch lines that kept losing
their punch..."
- Lester Bangs, "Let Us Now Praise Famous Death Dwarves, or How I
Slugged it out with Lou Reed and Stayed Awake," 1975.

Will Dockery

Nov 16, 2013, 5:40:11 PM11/16/13

"PAS" <nto...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> "Will Dockery" wrote in message
>> On Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:31:21 AM UTC-5, PAS wrote:
>>> "Will Dockery" wrote;

>>> Strange that it is noted that Lou couldn't afford NY hospitals so he
>>> went to Ohio. He was worth millions, he could afford any hospital he
>>> wanted to use and he may even have had insurance.
>>
>> Laurie Anderson back in May or April alluded more to some other failings
>> with New York hospitals..?
>
> There are some fantastic hospitals in NYC but I would certainly trust that
> both Lou and Laurie went to the one they were comfortable with and had
> legitimate reasons for using the one they did rather than another.
>
>> I know I just read in a magazine that Lou Reed left 15 million dollars to
>> Laurie and his sister.
>
> Yep, that's what his estate is worth. I'll bet the NYC apartment and the
> Long Island house account for a good chunk of that. Glad to hear that Lou
> had some fruit for his labor. There are far less talented and important
> artists who make a ton of money but Lou seemed to be very content in life
> when it came to that. Reminds me a lot of Ian Hunter. I noted to him
> that with his great song writing talent and performing that he should have
> made millions and millions. He commented to me that he was perfectly
> happy with hat he had and didn't care to be in that kind of income
> bracket.

Great to hear that Ian Hunter is also still out there, another influence
from my childhood.

--
"Rock-N-Roll Night / Dockery, Snipe & Mallard". -
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/18033340-rock-n-roll-night--dockery-snipe -

PAS

Nov 18, 2013, 11:03:50 AM11/18/13
"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Mott The Hoople is winding up their second reunion tour tonight at the o2
Arena in London. I was able to travel to London in October 2009 to see
their first reunion. Five sold-out nights at the Hammersmith Odeon (aka
"Apollo") and I was there for the first three. It was pure magic to finally
see them.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Nov 18, 2013, 7:54:16 PM11/18/13
"PAS" <nto...@optonline.net> wrote in
I only saw them once when they made the mistake of letting Blue Oyster
Cult open for them. BOC could only play 40 minutes or so and MtH was
booed throughout the performance because the audience wanted BOC back.

I'm not sure anyone there had heard of BOC at the time but there weren't
many bands[1] at the time that could have topped that performance.

[1] Maybe Alice Cooper, The Who, Humble Pie or ZZ Top. That's about it.
HP and ZZT were notorious at the time for blowing headliners off the
stage and AC and The Who were already established as the top live acts at
the time[2].

[2] Lou Reed, other than the superb band on R&R Animal which carried that
junkie loser, was considered a fringe act.

"Interesting how you abusers try to make things a "chuckle", but you
obsess over the chuckle for 7 years." - Ed the numerically-challenged.

Will Dockery

Nov 18, 2013, 8:03:57 PM11/18/13

"PAS" <nto...@optonline.net> wrote:
Original line up and the whole nine yards?

I haven't kept up with them over the last couple of decades.

Will Dockery

Nov 19, 2013, 7:31:36 AM11/19/13

"Cujo DeSockpuppet" wrote in message
It was that "Rock-N-Roll Animal" album back in 1974 that first hooked me on
Lou Reed's music, also.

PAS

Nov 19, 2013, 11:29:10 AM11/19/13
"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
It is the original lineup with one sad exception: the drummer Dale Griffin,
aka Buffin, is no longer able to play. He is the youngest member and in
2009 was already feeling the effects of Alzheimer's. He was able to play
for the encores at the first set of shows in 2009 but needed help getting
around. It's pretty sad as of all the members, he wanted to see a reunion
more than anyone. He was effected by Alzheimer's in his late fifties. But
he took it all in stride and with a lot of humor. The other original
members, Ian Hunter, Pete Watts, Mick Ralphs, and Verden Allen were all
there and Buffin was replaced by Martin Chambers of The Pretenders in the
current tour and also in 2009.

The second-to-last show on the current tour, which wrapped-up on Monday
night at the o2 Arena, was recorded for a DVD.