Daylight Katy

David Sims

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
I'd be interested in anyone's interpretation of what the song
"Daylight Katy" is about.... This one has always had me
wondering.....

Dave

Derek Kidd

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
I would have thought "Daylight Katy" was inspired by Cathy Coonely.
Derek

Robert Fuller

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Gord wrote some tunes about his old girlfriend Cathy Smith (she was the
person who was with John Belushi when he died), the most famous of which
is "Sundown". I would suspect that Daylight Katy may be about her also.
Smith did some backup vocal work on the Sundown album.

Steve Struthers

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
PZQ...@prodigy.com (David Sims) writes:

Daylight Katy seems to be about a woman Gord met while on tour before
releasing Endless Wire, and judging by the line "... she lives nine
lives in her midnight world, while her ol' man's fast asleep", I'd say
the woman in question was probably into partying in a big way, to say
nothing of having a penchant for a clandestine rendezvous.

There are also other intriguing little clues, like "... she lives in
town with her high-heeled friends, and she knows it's a long way
down", which suggests that Katy is probably a member of Los Angeles'
well-heeled set, and that she would probably have to travel a long way
down (literally and figuratively) to meet Gord on the beach. One is
almost tempted to think that "Katy" might actually be someone famous -
perhaps a celebrity.

I say Los Angeles because the tune makes reference to Sea World, which
IIRC, is in L.A.

Daylight Katy is among my favourite Lightfoot tunes. Even though the
lyrics in DK are rather simple, when combined with the music, they
help conjure up some really nifty mental imagery... sun, sand and sea,
bright blue skies, that sort of thing. The real "hook" in Daylight
Katy, for me at least, is in the electric guitar fills. The way they
ebb, flow and billow reminds me of the gentle rocking motion of the
sea, and of the way the waves rush in and recede.

A reviewer (was it Noel Coppage?) thought Daylight Katy was unique
mostly for the way "it ties two seemingly unrelated songs into a
whole" (or words to that effect).

PRSarp

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
I also always thought Daylight Katy was about a married woman having a
clandestine affair with a man in a lower social circle. I always took the
line " she lives nine lives" as a sort of round about way of saying she
was "catting around" while her old man's fast asleep.

Pat

Derek Kidd

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Funny, I looked at "Daylight Katy" as being a rather sweet song about a
younger woman in love with an older man. I never took the "lives nine
lives in her midnight world/While her old man's fast asleep" line to mean
she was galivanting around the town. It just struck me as a rather nice
way of acknowledging that she, perhaps, wanted to constantly do things
while he preferred to just relax at home. The narrative point of view
of the song seems to be inspired by wonderment, and amusement all at the
same time. I think that's why I thought it might have been inspired by
Cathy Coonely, as I believe she was a few years younger than GL.

But, hey, what do I know...it's Valentine's Day, and I'm spending the
most romantic day of the year working, then playing a gig this evening,
and then taking my puppy for a walk--so I probably shouldn't be writing
posts about love songs (well, maybe "My Pony Won't Go"...no, no, no--oh
jeez...forget I wrote that...)
:-D
Derek

Derek Kidd

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
steve.s...@odyssey.on.ca (Steve Struthers) wrote:

>I say Los Angeles because the tune makes reference to Sea World, which
>IIRC, is in L.A.
>
>Daylight Katy is among my favourite Lightfoot tunes. Even though the
>lyrics in DK are rather simple, when combined with the music, they
>help conjure up some really nifty mental imagery... sun, sand and sea,
>bright blue skies, that sort of thing. The real "hook" in Daylight
>Katy, for me at least, is in the electric guitar fills. The way they
>ebb, flow and billow reminds me of the gentle rocking motion of the
>sea, and of the way the waves rush in and recede.
>
>A reviewer (was it Noel Coppage?) thought Daylight Katy was unique
>mostly for the way "it ties two seemingly unrelated songs into a
>whole" (or words to that effect).

Not that it matters, but I think SeaWorld is in San Diego. That's
interesting, though--I never thought of it as referring to a specific
place--I thought it was yet another deftly clever GL line alluding to the
mystery of Katy, in this case the sea world as being the unknown world
under the waves.

It is a great song...another favorite for sure. And I think you're right
about it being Coppage who wrote those comments about the song.

See ya!--Derek

nature...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2020, 11:39:27 PM3/14/20
Better late than never! I don’t think the word(s) sea world refers to the park in San Diego, but rather that the shoreline and beach area is a seaworld.

Brad Stracener

Jan 31, 2021, 5:38:45 PM1/31/21
I think it's about a woman whose true love committed suicide and she subsequently lived a life of forgetting by wallowing in the nightlife. He may have drowned himself and is telling her, "If you can't follow me down, go home."

J.R. Smith

Apr 27, 2023, 9:11:49 AM4/27/23
On Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:38:45 PM UTC-6, Brad Stracener wrote:
> I think it's about a woman whose true love committed suicide and she subsequently lived a life of forgetting by wallowing in the nightlife. He may have drowned himself and is telling her, "If you can't follow me down, go home."

I hate to break anyone's bubble here, but Daylight Katy was Gordon's CAT.
-JRS

J.R. Smith

Apr 27, 2023, 9:12:58 AM4/27/23
On Thursday, February 1, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, David Sims wrote:
> I'd be interested in anyone's interpretation of what the song
> "Daylight Katy" is about.... This one has always had me
> wondering.....
> Dave

Gordon's CAT.
-Jack