Talking In Your Sleep

Cathy

Aug 12, 2001, 12:31:57 PM8/12/01
Does anyone know what the words are that are being mumbled in the
background of the song "Talking In Your Sleep"?

Cathy

Telekidd

Aug 12, 2001, 2:59:45 PM8/12/01
>Does anyone know what the words are that are being mumbled in the
>background of the song "Talking In Your Sleep"?

I must admit, I forget the exact wording, but I do remember a post on this
topic some time back (sorry, I can't remember who posted it!) by someone who
did ask this very question to one of the band members (RH, I think). The
respose was that they are singing "eat a potato" or some close variant of that
phrase.
Derek

Richard Harison

Aug 12, 2001, 4:07:17 PM8/12/01
Pick a Potata - Honest!
-
All the Best...
Richard Harison
"Cathy" <cat...@gwi.net> wrote in message news:3B76AF7D...@gwi.net...

| Does anyone know what the words are that are being mumbled in the
| background of the song "Talking In Your Sleep"?
|
| Cathy

Cathy

Aug 12, 2001, 5:15:22 PM8/12/01
That's what everyone keeps telling me: Pick a potata, pick a potata....
Now I guess I'll have to listen again. I thought they were saying:
Takin' the day off, takin' the day off...
This strikes me kind of funny. I'm from Northern Maine, where they grow
potatoes like no place else on earth. From my earliest days on the farm
I remember going out into the frosty, fall mornings to pick potatoes, a
job that most people in their right mind would refuse to do. A tractor
and digger would dig two rows at a time and lay the potatoes on top of
the ground. The kids had the distinctive job of picking up all the
potatoes, putting them in a baskets, then dumping the baskets into a
barrels. Each barrel was worth a whopping 30 cents. We earned a little
over $100 dollars each fall and thought we were millionaires. It was the
hardest work I have done in my entire life. It probably would have been
much more pleasant if I would have had some good Lightfoot tunes to
listen to, but this was before the days of personal stereos, cassettes,
and even Lightfoot.

Cathy

Cathy

Aug 12, 2001, 5:18:30 PM8/12/01
That's what everyone keeps telling me: Pick a potata, pick a potata....
Now I guess I'll have to listen again. I thought they were saying:
Takin' the day off, takin' the day off...
This strikes me kind of funny. I'm from Northern Maine, where they grow
potatoes like no place else on earth. From my earliest days on the farm
I remember going out into the frosty, fall mornings to pick potatoes, a
job that most people in their right mind would refuse to do. A tractor
and digger would dig two rows at a time and lay the potatoes on top of
the ground. The kids had the distinctive job of picking up all the
potatoes, putting them in baskets, then dumping the baskets into

barrels. Each barrel was worth a whopping 30 cents. We earned a little
over $100 dollars each fall and thought we were millionaires. It was the
hardest work I have done in my entire life. It probably would have been
much more pleasant if I would have had some good Lightfoot tunes to
listen to, but this was before the days of personal stereos, cassettes,
and even Lightfoot, for that matter.

Cathy

Bern

Aug 12, 2001, 7:37:36 PM8/12/01
tele...@aol.com (Telekidd) wrote in message news:<20010812145945...@mb-fz.aol.com>...

I'll agree with Karl on this one...sounds like Think of a Name...Now
Think of a Name...but it's hard to tell..I don't hear any hard
t's...which would result from "eat" and "potato"...

Bern

Bern

Aug 12, 2001, 7:41:20 PM8/12/01
tele...@aol.com (Telekidd) wrote in message news:<20010812145945...@mb-fz.aol.com>...

This is to AQ...I think you were listening to It's Worth
Believin'....a great song to be sure!

Bern

jrsquonk

Aug 12, 2001, 7:47:49 PM8/12/01
NO! It is absolutely the sound of somebody flicking a Bic, or a
Zippo...um, wait a minute...I...oh never mind!

Ed Mullen

Aug 12, 2001, 8:45:16 PM8/12/01

Cathy wrote:

Phonetically it's ...

"... TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to ..."

Does this make sense? Uh, well, ummm, SURE! But, honest, listen
again, open your mind, divest yourself of preconceived notions. It's
"TAY-kee po-TAY-to ..."

Hey, it's called a "nonsense rhyme," folks. Stop looking for immense
and hidden meanings. It's just "TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to,
TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee
po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to ..."

;-)

Ed

staytuned

Aug 12, 2001, 8:49:28 PM8/12/01
The male backup voices on this Nashville-based recording were The
Jordanaires: Gordon Stocker, Neal Matthews, Hoyt Hawkins and Ray Walker.
Acording to one website, this quartet have provided backup work for over
2,000 artists including Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and Neil Young.

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/Jordanaires.html

- Mel

Richard Harison

Aug 12, 2001, 9:05:46 PM8/12/01
In my normal duties, I was at the session, and Gord wanted to put a rhythmic
vocal backdrop on it. Of course we need not discuss the fifties Do Wop, but
we all liked the idea that Gord used real English "Pick a potata" instead of
some form of scat. Personally, IMHO, I wasn't that keen on it, but I could
understand Gord's interest in a thread, since the album also included choral
backup from members of the Jordanaires (Elvis) SSOL,and thus was consistent
with the project.

That whole session was exciting. Red Shea and I having a drink (or two)
with Chet Atkins. Meeting the incredible session musicians of Nashville.
Hargus Robbins giving Red and me a pint of his own white lightning. (still
the biggest thrill of all)
--

All the Best...
Richard Harison

"Cathy" <cat...@gwi.net> wrote in message news:3B76F2A6...@gwi.net...

| That's what everyone keeps telling me: Pick a potata, pick a potata....

CAMSTER777

Aug 12, 2001, 9:41:37 PM8/12/01
I played it backwards and it says something about the "Wallrus is dead" or is
that "The Potato is dead?" Obvious symbolic reference to the end of
civilization as we know it. Ah, the clarvoyant powers of Canadian folk
songs...
Camsters mystical readings continue...

Cathy

Aug 12, 2001, 9:59:17 PM8/12/01
Hmmm. I played it backwards and I heard: ot-YAT-op-eek-YAT,
ot-YAT-op-eek-YAT, ot-YAT-op-eek-YAT. I think in Eskimo that means "who
stole my kayak?"

Cathy

haystack

Aug 12, 2001, 10:24:03 PM8/12/01
Hello Cathy,
I belive the mumbled lyrics are "take-a-potatoe, take-a-potatoe" etc

Haystack

Telekidd

Aug 13, 2001, 1:08:11 AM8/13/01
>Pick a Potata - Honest!

THAT'S it! Thanks, Richard!
Derek

Telekidd

Aug 13, 2001, 1:07:45 AM8/13/01
>NO! It is absolutely the sound of somebody flicking a Bic, or a
>Zippo...um, wait a minute...I...oh never mind!

Dang--maybe all this time I was thinking of the wrong song! ;)
Derek

Oksky

Aug 13, 2001, 1:41:06 AM8/13/01
>I belive the mumbled lyrics are "take-a-potatoe, take-a-potatoe" etc

And I heard "dig" a potato. After all, they do grow underground. :-)

Shirley

mcarl4444

Aug 13, 2001, 12:10:44 PM8/13/01
ok...@aol.com (Oksky) wrote in message news:<20010813014106...@mb-fs.aol.com>...

> >I belive the mumbled lyrics are "take-a-potatoe, take-a-potatoe" etc
> >

> And I heard "dig" a potato. After all, they do grow underground. :-)
>
> Shirley

I heard "take" as well. It was "the potato" that always made me doubt
my ears. "Naaaahhhhhhh. Couldn't be, Could it?" Thanks Richard. I
can sleep well tonight.

Matt

Richard Harison

Aug 13, 2001, 5:20:52 PM8/13/01
Actually there was some minor bar room discussion wherein Gord presented
"taka potata' as an alternative. He ended up choosing "pick" but he mighta
slipped in one "taka" while the rest of us weren't looking!

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison

"mcarl4444" <mcar...@aol.com> wrote in message

Andy T.

Aug 13, 2001, 9:14:31 PM8/13/01
> He ended up choosing "pick" but he mighta
>slipped in one "taka" while the rest of us weren't looking!

Thanks once again, Richard, for your behind-the-scenes memories. I never gave
those backing lyrics much thought, myself. A long time ago, I made the casual
assumption they were "take it awaayy.." and never listened any closer to notice
I was wrong. Sort of like someone making the casual assumption about another
sound on that album.... :)

andy

Telekidd

Aug 13, 2001, 9:18:48 PM8/13/01
>Actually there was some minor bar room discussion wherein Gord presented
>"taka potata' as an alternative. He ended up choosing "pick" but he mighta
>slipped in one "taka" while the rest of us weren't looking!

You were probably too busy chattin' with Chet to notice! :)
Derek

Bern

Aug 13, 2001, 11:32:18 PM8/13/01
"Richard Harison" <rhariso...@bmts.com> wrote in message news:<99773721...@Virginia.BMTS.Com>...

> Actually there was some minor bar room discussion wherein Gord presented
> "taka potata' as an alternative. He ended up choosing "pick" but he mighta
> slipped in one "taka" while the rest of us weren't looking!
>
> --
> All the Best...
> Richard Harison
> "mcarl4444" <mcar...@aol.com> wrote in message
> | ok...@aol.com (Oksky) wrote in message
> | > >

> | > And I heard "dig" a potato. After all, they do grow underground. :-)
> | >
> | > Shirley
> |
> | I heard "take" as well. It was "the potato" that always made me doubt

So it's a combo of pick and take! No wonder it sounds so mashed! (sorry)

I think Richard passed his pint around!

Bern

Cathy

Aug 13, 2001, 11:52:17 PM8/13/01
Richard,
Was this the Jordanaires singing the "pick a potata" part?
(Wow, that's almost as hard to say as Peter Piper picked a pack of
pickled peppers).

Cathy

Telekidd

Aug 14, 2001, 9:06:47 AM8/14/01
>Sort of like someone making the casual assumption about another
>sound on that album.... :)

Hmmm...whatever could you mean by this? I'm sure you couldn't possibly be
referring to ME--after all, I spent a lot of time and thousands of listenings
before making my carefully considered analysis of "Cabaret!" :)
Derek

Richard Harison

Aug 14, 2001, 9:27:27 AM8/14/01
The vocal overdubs were done at a later session without the presence of band
members or myself. The Jordanaires did the vocal work, but GL might have
added a part(s) as well. I remember him working with us on harmonies - as
if we were actually going to sing the parts. Unfortunately, somebody broke
my diamond needle, and I don't have CDs of earlier albums - just vinyl, so i
can't at the moment have a listen.

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison

Richard Harison

Aug 14, 2001, 9:29:54 AM8/14/01
Yeah - Pig Robbins' white lightning!

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison

"Bern" <bdli...@alpha.delta.edu> wrote in message

Richard Harison

Aug 14, 2001, 4:55:53 PM8/14/01
It was a Budweiser - Honest!

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison
"Telekidd" <tele...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cathy

Aug 14, 2001, 7:12:56 PM8/14/01
Richard, I remember back in one of the threads about folk music that you
mentioned you play the guitar. Did you play on any of Gord's albums?

Cathy

Richard Harison

Aug 14, 2001, 9:39:39 PM8/14/01
No..although I was one of the three auditioned by Gord to replace Red. I
did play bender Telecaster for the Good Brothers
in my spare time

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison
"Cathy" <cat...@gwi.net> wrote in message news:3B79B078...@gwi.net...

| Richard, I remember back in one of the threads about folk music that you
| mentioned you play the guitar. Did you play on any of Gord's albums?

Cathy

Aug 15, 2001, 12:38:20 AM8/15/01
Wow. Replacing Red is not an easy row to hoe. Gord's lucky to have found
another great guitarist in Terry Clements. Even though Terry's style is
quite different from Red's, he managed fit in quite well with the band.
In our weekly chats the question often comes up: Who is the better
guitarist, Red or Terry? I've thought about it and honestly can't come
up with an answer. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They both do
what they do very well.

Okay, I'm not much of an electric guitarist. What is bender Telecaster?

Cathy

JenRivard

Aug 15, 2001, 2:14:53 PM8/15/01

>Okay, I'm not much of an electric guitarist. What is bender Telecaster?

Let's ask Tele-Kidd.
Jenney

Cathy

Aug 15, 2001, 6:22:41 PM8/15/01
Okay, let's ask him. Derek? What is a bender Telecaster?

(This should be good...)

Cathy

Telekidd

Aug 15, 2001, 10:51:49 PM8/15/01
If it's what I think Richard is referring to, it's a Tele with what is called a
"B bender" on it. It's a device which, as you might guess, bends the B-string.
The one I played was actually triggered by the guitar strap. Gives an
interesting, not-quite-a-pedal- steel-but-close effect, as I recall.

They're not very common, but they're really neat when you hear 'em. Or at
least when you hear 'em played right. When I tried messing around with it, I
think I permanently damaged the hearing of every dog within a 10 miles
radius...but heck--SOMEONE'S gotta suffer for my art! :)

Of course, what Richard could also be referring to is one of the Tele's with
Bigsby tailpieces. Also on the rare side. Sorry these answers are so boring,
J & C! :)

(Either way, it's fairly obvious to me that Richard must be one heckuva
picker!)
Derek

Andy T.

Aug 16, 2001, 4:28:07 AM8/16/01
>If it's what I think Richard is referring to, it's a Tele with what is called
>"B bender"

>They're not very common, but they're really neat when you hear 'em. Or at

>least when you hear 'em played right.

In addition to being a GL fan, I stumbled across an old used Gene Parsons
album, KINDLING, many years ago, and noticed a couple of names I associated
with GL on it (Russ Titleman and Lee Hershberg, to be exact). Also, the LP was
a fold out with an interesting photo inside, so I bought it. Later on I got
his other album (Parsons only did two albums.) On his second album, there is
something of a write up about the "string bender" guitar that Parsons helped
develop. I have a CD here of his with a similar write-up, but to me it seems a
litte different from what I remember on the MELODIES LP album jacket. This is
what is says...

"The Parsons-White String Bender, invented by Gene Parsons and Clarence White,
is heard throughout this recording and used today by guitarists; Albert Lee,
Pete Townshend,Jimmy Page, Keith Richards,Ron Wood, Dave Gilmour, Bernie
Leadon, Al Perkins, Dave Nelson, Bob Warford, Marty Stuart and others. For
more information please write to: The Parsons-White String Bender, PO Box 76,
Caspar, CA 95420"

I don't know if this was a kit that had to be installed by a guitar tech, or if
you ordered a complete guitar outfitted with the thing. I also don't know if
this is the same feature that this thread it about... but it could be... :)

I should give a little plug here for Gene Parsons, he was with the Byrds
briefly in the late 60's/early 70's, and later on was with the Flying Burrito
Brothers. The tiny record label Sierra Records re-released his first solo
album onto gold CD several years ago, and added all of Parsons tunes he
wrote/sang while with the Byrds and The FBB's, and put in an unreleased song or
two. The result was called the KINDLING COLLECTION, and is a pretty darn good
folk album. Parsons, on many songs, is credited, via overdubs I'm sure, with
playing a lot of instruments, a pretty talented guy. (Sort of how Mr Kidd puts
his songs together... hehe) Unfortunately, this CD is pretty much out of
print. A year ago you could still get it cheap directly from Sierra Records,
but it was listed as quatities limited then. Its since been re-issued on a
Japan import, but that only has the 11 track original LP lineup on it, the 11
bonus tracks are not included. End of this off-topic digression.....

andy

Richard Harison

Aug 16, 2001, 9:46:16 AM8/16/01
Telekidd wrote:
>If it's what I think Richard is referring to, it's a Tele with what is
called a
>"B bender" on it. It's a device which, as you might guess, bends the
B-string.
>The one I played was actually triggered by the guitar strap. Gives an
>Interesting, not-quite-a-pedal- steel-but-close effect, as I recall.

Derek is correct. The device was invented by Byrds guitarist Clarence White
and Byrds drummer Gene Parsons. Since my actual '57 Telly does not have the
device installed (I want to keep it original), I refer to the bender style,
wherein you choke two strings simultaneously (quite a challenge to keep both
bent strings in tune.) I was fortunate to have Clarence as my occasional
mentor for two years.

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison

Telekidd

Aug 16, 2001, 10:45:58 PM8/16/01
>I was fortunate to have Clarence as my occasional
>mentor for two years.
>--

Yegads! You can't do much better! Wow!
Derek

Telekidd

Aug 17, 2001, 12:54:41 AM8/17/01
The infamous Mr. Rowley wrote to remind me that, after we had dinner together
in Fullerton last January, we went over to a special preview of an exhibit
devoted to Leo Fender, and Fender guitars and amps. They had a band there, and
the lead guitarist played a "bender Tele" for a few numbers. The rest of the
time he, and the lead singer and rhythm guitarist played Gibsons, which I
thought was just a little ironic...
Thanks, Tom!
Derek (of the failing memory)

Richard Harison

Aug 17, 2001, 12:26:53 PM8/17/01
Is *ironic* really the right word!! {:>))

--
All the Best...
Richard Harison
"Telekidd" <tele...@aol.com> wrote in message

Telekidd

Aug 18, 2001, 12:32:48 AM8/18/01
>Is *ironic* really the right word!! {:>))

HA! Well, I was trying to be kind (for once), Richard! :)
Derek

Cathy

Aug 19, 2001, 10:41:00 AM8/19/01
And following along with the potato theme, I found this post on
alt.culture.us.1970s:

>There's an album cut of Gordon Lightfoot's that has the real words,
>"Thick and thin, you don't have to play to win, but then you might."
>
>As a child, I always heard it as,
>"Thick and thin, you throw the potato in the candlelight."

I wonder if this person also heard "... TAY-kee po-TAY-to, TAY-kee
po-TAY-to, TAY-kee po-TAY-to ..."

Cathy

Telekidd wrote:

> >Does anyone know what the words are that are being mumbled in the
> >background of the song "Talking In Your Sleep"?
> >

> I must admit, I forget the exact wording, but I do remember a post on this
> topic some time back (sorry, I can't remember who posted it!) by someone who
> did ask this very question to one of the band members (RH, I think). The
> respose was that they are singing "eat a potato" or some close variant of that
> phrase.
> Derek

flip...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2017, 4:41:49 PM4/20/17
Le dimanche 12 août 2001 12:31:57 UTC-4, Cathy a écrit :
> Does anyone know what the words are that are being mumbled in the
> background of the song "Talking In Your Sleep"?
>
> Cathy

TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE '' AT THE END OF THE DAY'' ANYWAY THATS WHAT i USE SINCE i HAVENT FOUND THE REAL THING...IT WORKS JUST FINE.