Gordon Lightfoot (April 1975)

Will Dockery

Nov 6, 2010, 2:41:00 PM11/6/10
On Nov 5, 9:22 pm, George Dance <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

<snip for focus>

> All day, you sit and spin;
> You spin your web, and you draw me in.
> Spin, spin, spin, spin.
>           - Gordon Lightfoot

I found a battered 1975 cover story/interview issue of Crawdaddy in a
box of magazines recently, salvaged it (crumbling) along with a couple
issues of Creem, they're still in the trunk of the car, hoping to scan
them before they deteriorate more. Anyway, always dug Gordon... did
you know there (was, not sure, lately) a GL newsgroup with several
active posters? I passed through there several years ago but lost
contact with all of them.

Hold it, here's the interview and scan of the cover already online,
from April 1975:

http://www.corfid.com/gl/press/press26.htm

"I don't sing rock, and it ain't country or pop or anything you can
pigeon-hole. The don't know what I am." -Gordon Lightfoot

> Having wasted a day, if I succumb to you. Instead I did good of my own
> and wrote an article introducing Americans to this guy:
>
> http://www.nolanchart.com/article8105.html
>
> Much more productive than anything that happens here, I'm afraid.

Checking it out, now.

--
Music & poetry of Will Dockery:
http://www,myspace.com/willdockery

Will Dockery

Feb 23, 2014, 8:44:47 AM2/23/14
George Dance wrote:

> <snip for focus>
>
> > All day, you sit and spin;
> > You spin your web, and you draw me in.
> > Spin, spin, spin, spin.
> >           - Gordon Lightfoot
>
> I found a battered 1975 cover story/interview issue of Crawdaddy in a
> box of magazines recently, salvaged it (crumbling) along with a couple
> issues of Creem, they're still in the trunk of the car, hoping to scan
> them before they deteriorate more. Anyway, always dug Gordon... did
> you know there (was, not sure, lately) a GL newsgroup with several
> active posters? I passed through there several years ago but lost
> contact with all of them.
>
> Hold it, here's the interview and scan of the cover already online,
> from April 1975:
>
> http://www.corfid.com/gl/press/press26.htm
>
> "I don't sing rock, and it ain't country or pop or anything you can
> pigeon-hole. The don't know what I am." -Gordon Lightfoot

Utterly by chance, I've found a real good read from what seems to be the very same time, painting a very different picture of Gordon Lightfoot than one i ever recall having, and relevant to a.a.p.c. some tough calls on Lightfoot's poetics.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/uncut-editors-diary/even-worse-than-lou-reed

His songs. I have come across in one of them the following lyrics: "In the name of love she came, this foolish winsome girl/She was all decked out like a rainbow trout. . ." I fail to stop myself laughing out loud when I read this to Gordon from my notebook, where I have dutifully jotted it down, alongside adjectives like "sentimental" and words like "schmaltz".

"Schmaltz? You're calling my songs sentimental? Well, I guess I've been accused of that before. Just not to my face. But I'd defend myself against an accusation like that. We all know the world isn't exactly in a placid state right now, but I don't think we have to dwell on it. Wet? One or two, maybe,. But people love 'em. So I sing 'em. I'm not going to apologise if you have a problem with that. Sentimental to the point of complete banality? Listen, beat it now. That's my advice." -Gordon Lightfoot

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/uncut-editors-diary/even-worse-than-lou-reed#r8xPzRXZu3LtH6IV.99

And so it goes...