Re: Leonard Cohen also deserved Nobel?

Will Dockery

Nov 29, 2017, 3:02:39 AM11/29/17
Pendragon wrote in message
news:69fc8ee2-c148-44a2...@googlegroups.com...
> On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 1:57:56 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
> >
> > > https://www.rockerteeshirts.com/blogs/rockers-blog/bob-dylan-and-leonard-cohen-both-deserve-a-nobel
> > >
> > > Leonard Cohen wrote some great poetry, prose and songs, true, and kept
> > > his integrity, focus and vision intact the entire time.
> >
> > I'd say Cohen was eligible, but it wasn't Dylan who messed up his
> > chances; it was Alice Munro. Canada got a Nobel Prize; no other
> > Canadians of this generation (Atwood, Birney, Ondaatje, or whoever) are
> > going to get one. As in, the Olympics: countries aren't supposed to
> > count at all, but they do...
>
> Here's some Leonard Cohen news, placed here since this thread is on topic
> for the current state of the newsgroup:
>
> https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-leonard-cohen-dancer/article37079383/
>
> "Clara Furey, a young Montreal dancer and choreographer, is the only
> living artifact in the MAC's current Leonard Cohen exhibition, and one of
> the few artists in the show to make no use of Cohen's songs, recorded
> voice or image. Her points of contact are a little-known Cohen poem called
> When Even The and his years of silent Zen meditation.
>
> "I've always been inspired by Leonard's precision with words, but he chose
> for big chunks of time not to speak," Furey said during an interview at
> her studio. "He knew the limits of language."
>
> And that's the way it is...

Nice topical deflection.

Not really, since the topic is Leonard Cohen and it remains on that topic.

Will Dockery

Feb 17, 2018, 12:47:08 PM2/17/18
George J. Dance wrote:

> > > https://www.rockerteeshirts.com/blogs/rockers-blog/bob-dylan-and-leonard-cohen-both-deserve-a-nobel
> > >
> > > Leonard Cohen wrote some great poetry, prose and songs, true, and kept
> > > his integrity, focus and vision intact the entire time.

I'm listening to one of his last collections of songs today, "Old Ideas",
and I swer his writing and singing was as good or even better sometimes at
85 years old as he was as a teenager, at the start of his poetry game.