is there anybody

1 view

Thomas Achilles

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
out there?

tom from berlin

Barbara

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
out there?
No, tom, we're all in here. Come on in.
barbara from the border
then we take berlin

Thomas Achilles <achi...@blinx.de> wrote in article
<35abd...@voltaire.zweitehand.de>...
out there?

tom from berlin

Marsha Byler

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
down here and the heat is claiming my energy

Tami from Texas

laza...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
in here ?

Jack from Saskatoon

Thomas Achilles

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Hi

thanks for your response my news reader shows for over week

nothing in the cohen group.

I'm a 'newbee'....just seen the old 'birt on the wire' film which was :-)

take care

tom_a

I wouldn't mind to trade some tapes...

>in here ?

out there?

#>

dennis r. martinez

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:47:25 -0500 (CDT), F...@webtv.net (Marsha Byler)
wrote:

>down here and the heat is claiming my energy
>
>Tami from Texas

The worst heat in a 1000 years from what I've heard. I'm cooling my
heals here in Good Old Washington. If I could send you a snow storm I
would. Stay cool Tami.

Snow

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98

Thomas Achilles wrote

>my news reader shows for over week nothing in the cohen group.
>
>I'm a 'newbee'

>tom_a

Dear Tom

If I understand you right, you are seeing little activity on the newsgroup.
I too experienced this, until I discovered that one needs to make some
adjustments in one or two configuration files. There are actually a lot of
messages here, it's just a matter of getting them. If, like myself, you are
using Internet Explorer - you may wish to try the following:

1: Start at the page listing the newsgroups you subscribe to.

2: Click on the word "File" at the top of the page.

3: Go down the list and click on "Properties".

4: This will open a new window, and you can then click on "Download".

5: Click on "Download all messages on this newsgroup". You will then get all
the messages. If you don't do this you will only receive new messages - and
they will disappear after you have read them.

You can choose yourself how many messages you wish to receive. This is done
by going to the top of the page again and clicking on "Tools". Then down to
"Options", then "Read" - where you can write the amount of messages you wish
your computer to download (I wrote 300) each time you open the newsgroups.

I am no computer expert, but I hope this helps you, or anyone else who is
having this problem.

Geoffrey

Marsha Byler

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Thanks Dennis, I am originally from Oregon and oh how I miss it! I read
a quote today in Reader's Digest that suits us fine down here and I'm
sure Sandy can attest to this ......

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. Bern Williams

Tami

Snow

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
>Thomas Achilles wrote:

>Thanks a lot, it was a problem of my provider too ... nobody seems to need
the cohen group so
>they have to ... and two days afterwards all was and is there :-)

>one more question:

>is there a digest form of the newsgroup?

>thanks again

>take care

>tom_a

Dear Tom

Your letter dropped into my e-mail box instead of the newsgroup - I'm not
sure if that was intentional or not. Anyway - I'm glad everything seems to
be sorting itself out.

There is no "digest form" of this newsgroup, as far as I'm aware. You may
access all the old correspondence to this newsgroup (and any others) by
going into usenet - one way to do this is by using the service at Dejanews.
Everything is permanently archived and stored so that the future generations
will be able to see what we wrote about - and where we went wrong (?)
Leonard wrote (I think it was Favourite Game) "Our hope lies in the distant
seed" - but he also wrote something about being as free as an escaped ski -
I really wish I had a Leonard Cohen concordance so that I could quote
chapter and verse.

Well, welcome to alt.music.leonard.cohen, Tom. Pull up a chair, take your
slippers off - and enjoy!

Geoffrey - the good little helper.

Sojourn69

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <6ol57t$jq3$1...@o.online.no>, "Snow" <ak...@online.no> writes:

>Leonard wrote (I think it was Favourite Game) "Our hope lies in the distant
>seed" - but he also wrote something about being as free as an escaped ski -
>I really wish I had a Leonard Cohen concordance so that I could quote
>chapter and verse.

======================
Greetings all!
Geoffrey, I can't remember the site where I found the LC writing about "free as
an escaped ski", but I *did* see it and he was writing about what constitues a
"saint." Does that jog any memories out there?

Sojourn, another Texan

Marsha Byler

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
Sojourn,

We are neighbors but sworn enemies. hahaha--ha Welcome aboard!

Tami in Ft. Worth

Sojourn69

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
In article <18548-35...@newsd-173.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, F...@webtv.net
(Marsha Byler) writes:

================================
Thanks for the welcome! Actually, it's worse than suspected <g>. I grew up in
Irving and when I decided to head for the big city I happend to go east instead
of west!

Sojourn in Dallas [late of Irving, TX] ;-)

jalfrezi

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
"What is a saint? A saint is someone who has achieved a remote human
possibility. It is impossible to say what that possibility is. I think it
has something to do with the energy of love. Contact with this energy
results in the exercise of a kind of balance in the chaos of existence. A
saint does not dissolve the chaos; if he did the world would have changed
long ago. I do not think that a saint dissolves the chaos even for himself,
for there is something arrogant and warlike in the notion of a man setting
the universe in order. It is a kind of balance that is his glory. He rides
the drift like an escaped ski. His course is a caress of the hill. His track
is a drawing of the snow in a moment of its peculiar arrangement with wind
and rock. Something in him so loves the world that he gives himself to the
laws of gravity and chance. Far from flying with the angels, he traces with
the fidelity of a seismograph needle the state of the solid bloody
landscape. His house is dangerous and finite, but he is at home in the
world. He can love the shapes of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes
of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters
of love."

Beautiful Losers: 40

Frank

Sojourn69 wrote in message