Winter Lady, don't underrate it!

sall...@my-deja.com

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00

I am surprised that song many of you dismiss Winter Lady as
insubstantial.

OK from the top,

WINTER LADY

Travelling lady stay a while
Until the night is over
I'm just a station on your way
I know I'm not your lover

Travelling means tripping. She is on halluconegenic drugs. Lady means
of nobility. Night is a play on words for Knight but again means
nobility. I have always thought that station refers to the stations of
the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ. This sets the scene for a religious
partnership if you will.

Well I lived with a child of snow
When I was a soldier
And I fought every man for her
Until the nights grew colder

Playful references to frigidity and a hearkening back to a violent
youth.

She used to wear her hair like you
Except when she was sleeping
And then she'd weave it on a loom
Of smoke and gold and breathing

"You" can not mean the listener because hair-styles vary greatly. It
may be a reference to the Noblewoman. At night many women protect their
hair with caps or use rollers. Weave it on a loom is not to be taken
literally.

And why are you so quiet now
Standing there in the doorway?
You chose your journey long before
You came upon this highway

Quiet because still sleeping perhaps. Or it may mean that the
relationship is stale. The highway is surely metaphorical for route in
life and can not mean any particular major road.

Travelling lady stay awhile
Until the night is over
I'm just a station on your way
I know I'm not your lover

This is actually a repetition of the first verse and represents the
circular nature of their relationship.

Well these are my views. There is a lot more to these songs than
appears at a first glance IMHO

Sally

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Geoff Gompers

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
Sal--that was good! Very good!
        GNR

Greg Wells

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00

Sally ( of "sally go round the roses"?),

Thank you for this. And continue, please.

The problem i have with contributing to such discussions is that
they hurt. For example, if you've seen a recent movie, Searching for Sgt
Ryan,
you know that the only reason most people fight in war is just
so they can get home. I knew a guy on base where i was
stationed who was sent to vietnam and did not come back,
who had a wife and child off base, the child conceived on leave on winter's
day,
so, to me these lines:

| Well I lived with a child of snow
| When I was a soldier
| And I fought every man for her
| Until the nights grew colder

were associated with that. ie, an almost litteral reading.
But there is no way of saying that out loud to strangers
who are asking what the stanza means, because whatever
it means, it certainly isn't that.
It's only friends who could conceiveably take some
small interested. And they'd have their own
unofficial associations. And those are the ones
i'm interested in.

"station" may well be "station of the cross".
But to me it was far more intimate:
The girl was a station on his way,
he got on the train and left the station,
for the war, or just because he was an asshole,
but have you ever noticed how when you'r
sitting in one train, and looking at another
on an adjacent track throught the window,
you sometimes can't tell which is stationary,
and which is travelling?
Try to read it a little like that.
Get drunk, or stoned, and put yourself back in time,
to when these things happened.
-----------------------------------
But the more important thing for this song is this.
Older people always read kid's music as rebellious.
However, most songs aren't that at all, they're simply
products of the songs around them in time, they're all
"answer-songs". they're in-history.

This song is simply impossible for anyone who was
there to be heard without partly hearing this other song,
which i copy here. It's not a matter of interpreation, though
i hope this contributes to that.
For me i just want to set the context right:

COLOURS - Donovan

Yellow is the color of my true love's hair in the morning when we rise, in
the morning when we rise.
That's the time. That's the time I love the best.

Blue is the color of the sky in the morning when we rise, in the morning
when we rise.
That's the time. That's the time I love the best.

Mellow is the feeling that I get when I'm with her, uh huh, when I'm with
her, uh huh.
That's the time. That's the time I love the best.

Freedom is a word I rarely use without thinking, uh huh, without thinking,
uh huh.
'Bout the time ('bout the time), hey, 'bout the time (hey, 'bout the time)
when I've been lost.

Yellow is the color of my true love's hair in the morning when we rise, in
the morning when we rise.
That's the time. That's the time I love the best. That's the time. Yeah,
that's the time I love the best.

<sall...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

laza...@my-deja.com

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <86qg7b$dhg$0...@216.155.33.62>,
"Greg Wells" <g...@magpage.com> wrote:

On my Donovan recording he sings it differently. Instead of the last
verse being:

> Yellow is the color of my true love's hair in the morning when we
rise, in the morning when we rise.

He sings:
"Yellow is the color of my true love's teeth in the morning when we

rise, in the morning when we rise."

Thanks Sally and Greg for the interesting discussion.

Jack

togethe...@my-deja.com

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Excuse me for butting in. Given the subject matter, I thought you
might be interested. There's a pheromone treatment for frigidity now.

http://members.tripod.com/HSDD_cure

Of course, stuff that makes you woozy/boozy does aid a little bit in
parasympathetic stimulation, but every barfly knows that.

and since juvenile delinquency is also addressed:

http://home.electrom.com/cure4crime

Sincerely yours,

B. Nicholson

In article <86qasj$q94$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

cohen...@my-deja.com

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
hehe, i read togetherinpants.

and its only midnight, damn it!

andra

In article <879qh9$ntk$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Michael

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
How lovely to hear from you again B,

the garden is doing fine and the river is flowing to the South! Do you
remember that day in Paris? It seems like a thingy away now doesn't it.
Kindest regards to C and D

Michael

<togethe...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Elizabeth Hoffman

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Hello, A. Nice hat! Interesting color, too.

Best regards,

Will Dockery

Feb 11, 2017, 5:05:55 AM2/11/17
Excellent interpretation...