Who say's Where That Confounded Bridge

brendan

Mar 2, 1995, 3:31:34 PM3/2/95
I don't care if this question has been answered over and over again
but does anyone know who actually says "where's that confounded bridge."
This is my own personal Zep mystery....

Brendan Keating
AIN'T GONNA CALL ME MR. PITIFUL

Andrew K. Kennedy

Mar 4, 1995, 1:06:30 PM3/4/95

James Brown?????

Michael Sherman

Mar 4, 1995, 11:16:44 PM3/4/95
I think that it sounds like Robert.

-Sherm

Phrank Da Slugger

Mar 5, 1995, 3:38:56 AM3/5/95
Pretty sure it's Jones...

Phrank Da Slugger

Fred Wells

Mar 5, 1995, 12:56:55 PM3/5/95

I've kinda wondered that myself, sounds different from Plant
but I suppose it could have been him (in a false low voice), or
anyone else in the area.
I've also wondered WHAT the bridge refers to... the term
bridge has been used in music, I believe, to refer to some sort of
transition in the song. Was there supposed to be a shift in the
song, a coda or something, to end it? Were they caught up in the
rhythm of the song and no one really knew or cared --- like
a jam kind of thing, which they kept? LZ has been known for both
dramatic changes in tempo, etc., and for improvising, leaving
"mistakes" that they liked.

Just a thought,
Fred W.

Brian J. Manro

Mar 5, 1995, 5:04:10 PM3/5/95

Yes, you have definitely picked up on somehting. In music, there is
something called "bridging" a note or a string of notes to anothere string,
and due to the freer form of the song, the bridge is never used, thus
the search for the bridge. Hope I helped...

Cyd the squid

Dave Thomson

Mar 6, 1995, 7:41:06 AM3/6/95
The Crunge is Led Zeppelin's tribute to R&B/Funk and contains snippets
from many R&B standards as well as Page imitating one of James Brown's
guitarists (whose last name is Burton, I think) The nonsense about "the
bridge" refer to the Godfather of Soul's Sex Machine. Much of the
lyric is James chatting with the band, and one such piece is "Can I
take it to the bridge?"

"... I tell you this; no eternal reward can forgive us now for wasting
the dawn," - J. Morrison

Larry Stein

Mar 6, 1995, 1:43:26 PM3/6/95
In article <3jdcgq$q...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, bma...@glibm2.cen.uiuc.edu

First, I don't know whos says this. I believe what this is referring
to is that this song is Zep's tribute to James Brown, who I believe
is an influence on one or more of the band members. There are a few
JB tunes where James exhorts the band to "take it to the bridge"
(musically speaking).

--larry

Alan Hare

Mar 6, 1995, 2:46:21 PM3/6/95
IMHO,
I suppose that it is John Henry Bonham
that utters the "Bridge" questions at
the end of "The Crunge" on the album
HOUSES OF THE HOLY.

--
Reguards,
Alan Hare

lived...@delphi.com

Mar 7, 1995, 12:45:24 AM3/7/95
It's Bonzo that's says it...
He had a billard table in his house. He was always looking for the bridge, the
reconfigured pool cue used when you can't reach the ball.

Sometimes It's best not to read too much into something.

Laurance

done

Steve Kilpatrick

Mar 7, 1995, 9:55:44 AM3/7/95
In article <5q24tzU.l...@delphi.com>, lived...@delphi.com said:
(in reference to the "where's the confounded bridge?" line)

>It's Bonzo that's says it...

I realize that you were joking in the rest of the post, but if you meant
this part, I disagree. I have a soundboard tape of part of Detroit 7/13/73,
and during the Whole Lotta Love "jam" section Plant repeats that line
in _exactly_ the same voice as the studio track. It's Plant deliberately
lowering his voice.

Steve Kilpatrick

Alex / Brain21

Mar 10, 1995, 12:59:36 AM3/10/95
I think that it was Bonzo. I don't think that it was Page, and anyone
could do a half decent imitation of it.

The song "The Crunge" is a tounge-in-cheek song, poking fun at James
Brown. Yes, in Sex Machine, he said "take it to the bridge." He was
referring to the bridge of the song, which usually comes after the second
chorus. Many of Browns songs had no bridge, and LedZep did not put one
in that song. In keeping with the humor, they said "Where's that
confounded bridge" at the end, referring to their purposeful lack of a
bridge in the song.

BTW, a bridge is a device, or part of a song, not a way of "bridging
notes" as was stated earlier, or was that person kidding?

--
Proposal: IP Licenses - Those who don't pass are too dumb to get IP
access. AOL, etc. get no access unless approved by a commitee. Criteria

kenn...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2015, 5:12:31 AM9/15/15
Its the not the question of where is the confounded bridge ? but the question of where and what bridge does youth leave us ?

ieac...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 12:57:14 AM8/22/16
Wow this question is over 20 years old, but I'm pretty sure it's Robert Plant, just talking in a goofy tone. Tell me are you still alive after 20 years?

mmcconv...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2019, 4:11:59 PM2/16/19
“The Bridge” is a section of a musical composition meaning that it leads into a change and itself is harmonically different than any of the other sections that repeat ...
A standard song in many instances would be

Verse
“B Verse
Chorus
2nd Verse
2nd B Verse
Chorus
BRIDGE
Solo Section
And a myriad of ways to take it to the end with some choosing to repeat the Bridge after a solo section

janswan...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2019, 3:46:28 PM7/27/19
i always thought it was the guy who did the news on rowan martin laugh in show

Gregory Fox

Jun 4, 2022, 9:10:49 AM6/4/22
On Friday, March 10, 1995 at 12:59:36 AM UTC-5, Alex / Brain21 wrote:

> Yes, in Sex Machine, he said "take it to the bridge." He was
> referring to the bridge of the song, which usually comes after the second
> chorus. Many of Browns songs had no bridge, and LedZep did not put one
> in that song. In keeping with the humor, they said "Where's that
> confounded bridge" at the end, referring to their purposeful lack of a
> bridge in the song.

This is the correct answer.