What's on the cd player

1 view

munir

Apr 12, 2004, 3:39:28 PM4/12/04
I actually had a chance to listen to some music this weekend.

Here's what was on the list

Jesus Christ Superstar (hey, it was easter)
Three Ton Gate - Vanishing Century
The Darkness - Permission to Land
Led Zeppelin
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Beck - BizarreFest 2001

Anything new on the music scene y'all be spinnin' in heavy rotation?

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin
(Letzebuergesch)

Astarte

Apr 12, 2004, 8:08:04 PM4/12/04
have i told u lately that i love u?

tyreah

"munir" <traa...@aol.comroryg> wrote in message

Astarte

Apr 12, 2004, 8:10:54 PM4/12/04
What do u think of the Darkness ...any good? the 2 songs iIheard are kind of
a bit too pop oriented for me. The lyrics are such shallow meanderings into
the passe ponderances of the 80's almost like they are evoking a Spinal
Tap 3 CD or something..

Astarte

Apr 12, 2004, 8:18:43 PM4/12/04
What is on top of my CD player currently either played or on cue*..
1. Roxy Music- Stranded
2. Led Zeppelin-The Early Days
3. Ministry- The Mind is A Terrible Thing To Taste
4. White Stripes -Elephant
5. Noir Desire- Tostasky ( kikk assed old fashioned French rock n roll)...
6. Portishead-Dummy (in heavy rotation throughout the last 6 years all
beaten to shite)
7. Elton John- Madman Across the Water
8. Rolling Stones- 40 Licks

7.

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 12, 2004, 10:09:03 PM4/12/04
Tyreah, are we sharing the same CD player??????????? I'm just missing the
Ministry and Noir Desire endeavors.

Great God/dess, I'm almost scared now.

Loser-X

Apr 13, 2004, 1:36:21 AM4/13/04
Astarte wrote:
> What do u think of the Darkness ...any good? the 2 songs iIheard are kind of
> a bit too pop oriented for me. The lyrics are such shallow meanderings into
> the passe ponderances of the 80's almost like they are evoking a Spinal
> Tap 3 CD or something..

They are a fun band to listen to, but that's probably about it. Nothing
deep.

Keeping on topic, I've these CDs in rotation:

Dream Theater - Awake
Neil Young - Ragged Glory
David Bowie - Heathen
Type O Negative - October Rust
Frameshift - Unweaving The Rainbow
Akira OST
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Bob

Apr 13, 2004, 2:41:35 AM4/13/04
My current mp3 list

Steely Dan Greatest Hits
We sold our soul for Rock and roll Black Sabbath
Kiss first album
Live throwing copper
Dizzie Gillespie greatest hits
Miles Davis Kinda Blue
Neil young harvest
Johnny Cash GHits

--

A's performance review: "A is not a people person".
A's reply: "A will start being a people person when people are

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 2:45:14 AM4/13/04
munir a formulé ce lundi :

> I actually had a chance to listen to some music this weekend.
>
> Here's what was on the list

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Earl Court 23 05 75
The Black Keys - Thickfreakness
T Model Ford - Bad Man
John Spencer Blues explosion - Extra Width and Mo'Width
John Hammond - So many roads
Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured
Terje Isungset - Iceman Is
Eddie Henderson - Anthology

--
dom
© news://news.zoo-logique.org/musique.blues

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 2:49:41 AM4/13/04
Bob a exprimé avec précision :
> My current mp3 list

> Miles Davis Kinda Blue

great album from Miles...
on his album of the great return in 1981 called "The man with the
horn", did you listen to the fantastic guitar solo of Mike Stern on the
tune "Fat time" ?

Bob

Apr 13, 2004, 3:37:35 AM4/13/04

"dom's" <do...@libre.fr> wrote in message

> Bob a exprimé avec précision :
> > My current mp3 list
>
> > Miles Davis Kinda Blue
>
> great album from Miles...
> on his album of the great return in 1981 called "The man with the
> horn", did you listen to the fantastic guitar solo of Mike Stern on the
> tune "Fat time" ?

no i don't have the 81 album, a friend reccommended SB, it has become one of
my current favourites, his later stuff is more fusion is it not ?

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 3:49:12 AM4/13/04
Bob a formulé ce mardi :

That's right.
In fact, Miles went into jazz-rock-funk by deeply participating to
create this musical movement end of 60s. So, during this period, he
mixed influnces from Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone in jazz and was
admirating those musicians. That movement was from 1969 to February
1975, date of his two last concert that were recorded in two album :
Agartha (afternoon concert) and Pangaea (evening concert). And then,
Miles tired and painful dissapeared from any musical stage during six
long years, and he was back in 1981 wis an album quite fusion jazz-funk
called "The man with the horn". And from 1981 to September 1991 (month
of his death), he was quite in that sort of fusion , more interesting
live on stage than for example on two of his last album called Tutu or
Amandla...

His last album was a sort of mix between hip hop and rap called
"Doo-bop"

Bob

Apr 13, 2004, 6:05:36 AM4/13/04

> Bob a formulé ce mardi :
> > "dom's" <do...@libre.fr> wrote in message
> >> Bob a exprimé avec précision :

> >> great album from Miles...
> >> on his album of the great return in 1981 called "The man with the
> >> horn", did you listen to the fantastic guitar solo of Mike Stern on the
> >> tune "Fat time" ?
> >
> > no i don't have the 81 album, a friend reccommended SB, it has become
one of
> > my current favourites, his later stuff is more fusion is it not ?
>
> That's right.
> In fact, Miles went into jazz-rock-funk by deeply participating to
> create this musical movement end of 60s. So, during this period, he
> mixed influnces from Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone in jazz and was
> admirating those musicians.

i've not heard anything about that, mebbe if JH was alive he may have moved
along this way, after the 60's EC, and Carlos Santana sort of dipped out of
the scene somewhat.

> That movement was from 1969 to February
> 1975, date of his two last concert that were recorded in two album :
> Agartha (afternoon concert) and Pangaea (evening concert). And then,
> Miles tired and painful dissapeared from any musical stage during six
> long years, and he was back in 1981 wis an album quite fusion jazz-funk
> called "The man with the horn". And from 1981 to September 1991 (month
> of his death), he was quite in that sort of fusion , more interesting
> live on stage than for example on two of his last album called Tutu or
> Amandla...

Did he play with Theolonius Monk ?

> His last album was a sort of mix between hip hop and rap called
> "Doo-bop"

interesting he noodled in this area.

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 6:12:46 AM4/13/04
Bob avait écrit le 13/04/2004 :

> from Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone in jazz and was
>> admirating those musicians.
>
> i've not heard anything about that, mebbe if JH was alive he may have moved
> along this way,

yes, as a record like "band of Gypsies" could indicate this.

Well, at that time, Miles' s wife was the soul-funk singer Betty
Mabry/Davis. She was a huge friend of Jimi Hendrix and presented him to
Miles. Miles was interested by the fact of rapproaching himself of a
young rock public. So they even had a project together but Jimi died
...So Miles replaced him by John Mc Laughlin and later by Dominique
Gaumont who died a few time later (sad story....)

after the 60's EC, and Carlos Santana sort of dipped out of
> the scene somewhat.

Yes, Carlos was in taht sort of jazz-fusion too...

> Did he play with Theolonius Monk ?

yes

munir

Apr 13, 2004, 6:34:04 AM4/13/04
>have i told u lately that i love u?

btw, it was just Sunday that I noticed the "runes" or symbols on the cdr. Are
these meaningful or perhaps the TTG version of Jimmy's ZoSo, et al?

munir

Apr 13, 2004, 6:35:56 AM4/13/04
>What do u think of the Darkness ...any good?

they fucking rock. Yeah they are a tad over the top on a couple tunes, but
overall they're damn good players, got great riffs. Anybody who can get a whole
crowd to sing the refrain
Get your hands offa my woman, motherfucker
can't be all bad, LOL

>The lyrics are such shallow meanderings into
>the passe ponderances of the 80's almost like they are evoking a Spinal
>Tap 3 CD or something..

no, it's all about total global domination...

Bob

Apr 13, 2004, 6:26:45 AM4/13/04

> Bob avait écrit le 13/04/2004 :
>
> > from Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone in jazz and was
> >> admirating those musicians.
> >
> > i've not heard anything about that, mebbe if JH was alive he may have
moved
> > along this way,
>
> yes, as a record like "band of Gypsies" could indicate this.
>
> Well, at that time, Miles' s wife was the soul-funk singer Betty
> Mabry/Davis. She was a huge friend of Jimi Hendrix and presented him to
> Miles. Miles was interested by the fact of rapproaching himself of a
> young rock public. So they even had a project together but Jimi died
> ...So Miles replaced him by John Mc Laughlin and later by Dominique
> Gaumont who died a few time later (sad story....)

bummer for Miles, would have been interesting to see who had creative
control, the trumpet player or the guitarist. from what i'v eheard of those
sorts of attempts, the sound was everywhere and nowhere all at once. too
much musical freedom perhaps

> after the 60's EC, and Carlos Santana sort of dipped out of
> > the scene somewhat.
>
> Yes, Carlos was in taht sort of jazz-fusion too...

carloss noodled along and went nowhere for a long time, I liked Caravanserai

> > Did he play with Theolonius Monk ?
>
> yes

are there albums of this ?

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 7:00:00 AM4/13/04
Après mure réflexion, Bob a écrit :

>>> Did he play with Theolonius Monk ?
>>
>> yes
>
> are there albums of this ?

yes Miles and the Modern Jazz Giants, Bags groove too I think

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 7:05:42 AM4/13/04
Il se trouve que dom's a formulé :

>>> yes
>>
>> are there albums of this ?
>
> yes Miles and the Modern Jazz Giants, Bags groove too I think

the two on Prestige Records

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 13, 2004, 2:47:31 PM4/13/04
On the CD player in heavy rotation as of last night:

- LZ, HTWWW
- Roxy Music, Avalon
- Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
- Beatles, Abbey Road
- Eagles (debut)
- Roy Buchanan, Sweet Dreams Anthology
- Porcupine Tree, In Absentia
- The Cars, Candy-O
- Deep Purple, Who Do We Think We Are
- Screaming Trees, Sweet Oblivion

Ask me if I care,
"Auntie" Chrissie

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 13, 2004, 3:41:42 PM4/13/04
Yep...I meant to mention The White Stripes' "Elephant" and The Moody Blues'
anthology "Time Traveller" amongst my choices of music as well. And I was
listening to Sir Elton John just the other day: "Madman Across the Water" is
one of my very favorite albums of all time.

munir

Apr 13, 2004, 3:43:35 PM4/13/04
>- Roy Buchanan, Sweet Dreams Anthology

what all's on here? Longtime fan of Roy B. Saw him live twice in his prime. A
Master of the Telecaster!

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 13, 2004, 3:51:56 PM4/13/04
Oh my God...you MUST find this CD set! Lots of deeper and live cuts with the
killer sound and style that cannot be compared to any other guitarist. (His
version of "Down By the River" is just SO incredible, it reduces me to tears
every time I hear it. Yes, he was a master of the Telecaster!)

~ Christine/Chrissie

dom's

Apr 13, 2004, 5:01:33 PM4/13/04
Lady Eowyn of Ithilien a formulé ce mardi :

yes I've this anthology of Roy Buchannan. Great !
he also play with famous guitarists as Steve Cropper or Ray Gomez too

munir

Apr 13, 2004, 6:08:47 PM4/13/04
>he also play with famous guitarists as Steve Cropper or Ray Gomez too

What about Ray "the assistant Illinois Enema Bandit" White ???

Astarte

Apr 13, 2004, 12:16:44 AM4/13/04
u rokk my lady eowyn* bows and curtsies to her empress*

"Lady Eowyn of Ithilien" <halfe...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

Astarte

Apr 13, 2004, 1:00:21 AM4/13/04
SO U HAVE ELTON, THE STONES, AND LED'S EARLY DAZE? AND ROXY MUSIC? THAT IS
TRULY AMAZING*

Astarte

Apr 13, 2004, 10:08:37 PM4/13/04
it is a TTG version of Jimmy's zoso..

"munir" <traa...@aol.comroryg> wrote in message

Astarte

Apr 13, 2004, 10:12:13 PM4/13/04
u have impeccable taste in music, lady e*

"Lady Eowyn of Ithilien" <halfe...@aol.comelwing> wrote in message

Astarte

Apr 13, 2004, 10:13:32 PM4/13/04
Steely Dan Greatest hits lacks some of thier best material though..i was so
dispointed with it coZ' it has so few of the really great songs..

"Bob" <vuckemai...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 13, 2004, 10:28:31 PM4/13/04
Yep...I had a serious thang for "Sticky Fingers" & "Exile On Main Street" last
week...which I also meant to mention earlier. Even if the albums weren't quite
the same, the artists definitely were! ;-)

Blessings from Chrissie & the Pussycats (Zoe & Aurora)

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 13, 2004, 10:31:54 PM4/13/04
And so do you, grand Goddess Astarte!

Lemme see...what's up next on the CD player? Free, Yes, Soundgarden and a
little bit of Ludwig Van...

Bob

Apr 14, 2004, 3:58:12 AM4/14/04

"Astarte" <nu...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Steely Dan Greatest hits lacks some of thier best material though..i was
so
> dispointed with it coZ' it has so few of the really great songs..

Agrred, some of those songs off Pretzel Logic I'd have on there in
preference to some of those more 80's sounding songs that sound like a
lounge band at the Hilton for buffet dining.

Bob

Apr 14, 2004, 4:08:52 AM4/14/04

> >> are there albums of this ?
> >
> > yes Miles and the Modern Jazz Giants, Bags groove too I think
>
> the two on Prestige Records

Cheers, I'm due to buy some more music.

Stoobie

Apr 14, 2004, 1:03:51 PM4/14/04
Did he sneak Godzilla Through the Alley? Or was that Lonnie Mack? I can't
seem to recall...

"munir" <traa...@aol.comroryg> wrote in message

slumpy

Apr 15, 2004, 7:59:23 PM4/15/04
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Bob decided it
was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

>> Steely Dan Greatest hits lacks some of thier best material though..i
>> was so dispointed with it coZ' it has so few of the really great
>> songs..
>
> Agrred, some of those songs off Pretzel Logic I'd have on there in
> preference to some of those more 80's sounding songs that sound like a
> lounge band at the Hilton for buffet dining.

<shudders>
--
slumpy
no more

Bob

Apr 17, 2004, 5:03:28 AM4/17/04

"slumpy" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Bob decided it
> was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
>
> >> Steely Dan Greatest hits lacks some of thier best material though..i
> >> was so dispointed with it coZ' it has so few of the really great
> >> songs..
> >
> > Agrred, some of those songs off Pretzel Logic I'd have on there in
> > preference to some of those more 80's sounding songs that sound like a
> > lounge band at the Hilton for buffet dining.
>
> <shudders>

I like a lot of Steely Dan's music but a lot of it is too funky in a
commercial way.

JJ (UK)

Apr 18, 2004, 1:28:11 PM4/18/04
"munir" <traa...@aol.comroryg> wrote in message
> I actually had a chance to listen to some music this weekend.
>
> Here's what was on the list
>
> Jesus Christ Superstar (hey, it was easter)
> Three Ton Gate - Vanishing Century
> The Darkness - Permission to Land
> Led Zeppelin
> Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
> Beck - BizarreFest 2001
>

> Anything new on the music scene y'all be spinnin' in heavy rotation?

Rush bootlegs. Did I just type that 'out loud' (as it were)?

So, nowt new just at the mo' but I've been listening to The Darkness, Norah
Jones and Zero 7 recently.

--
JJ (UK)

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 18, 2004, 4:29:25 PM4/18/04
Very simply, the JCS soundtrack is just wondrous (hey, Ian Gillan plays the
role of Jesus ~ what could be better? The only improvement would have been the
one and only Robert P., though he might disagree with that assertion!).

I am very interested in Tyreah's music and would like to procure a copy of the
album mentioned originally in Munir's post. Tyre, are you selling any of your
wares? ;-)

Definitely intrigued by The Darkness and what I've heard on the radio. Reminds
me of Queen.

My dear buddy Drew burned a couple of boots for me: "Hip Young Guitar Slinger:
Jimmy Page and his heavy friends" and "This Guitar Kills! More 60s groups &
sessions." I don't know where he finds these precious gems but I'm about to
pop them into CD player right now (before *I* pop from excitement...)!

slumpy

Apr 18, 2004, 5:21:00 PM4/18/04
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel JJ (UK) decided

it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> "munir" <traa...@aol.comroryg> wrote in message

Zero 7 eh ?

Another Bobby Elms favourite ;-)

Cool album though, I like that kind of lounge-around slumpin' music :-)

slumpy

Apr 18, 2004, 5:26:44 PM4/18/04
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Lady Eowyn of
Ithilien decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little
gem:

> Very simply, the JCS soundtrack is just wondrous (hey, Ian Gillan

> plays the role of Jesus ~ what could be better? The only improvement
> would have been the one and only Robert P., though he might disagree
> with that assertion!).

God playing Jesus ?

Wow, that throws up some possibilites...

You're right though, JCS is a wonderful album, and often people overlook it
for what it was - something pretty much untried (does Hair count ? I don't
think so), and with a fantastic cast - Yvonne Elliman went on to sing If I
Can't Have You on the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack !!

> I am very interested in Tyreah's music and would like to procure a
> copy of the album mentioned originally in Munir's post. Tyre, are you
> selling any of your wares? ;-)

I bags those L o o o o o o o o ng Legs !!

> Definitely intrigued by The Darkness and what I've heard on the
> radio. Reminds me of Queen.

Urgh. Awful.

> My dear buddy Drew burned a couple of boots for me: "Hip Young Guitar
> Slinger: Jimmy Page and his heavy friends" and "This Guitar Kills!
> More 60s groups & sessions." I don't know where he finds these
> precious gems but I'm about to pop them into CD player right now
> (before *I* pop from excitement...)!

The first is no boot, it's a compilation of his earlier stuff as a session
guy, as I believe the second is.

Still worth a listen though ;-)

Stoobie

Apr 18, 2004, 10:04:31 PM4/18/04
I love JCS, a musical staple of my younger days. It tugs at me.

"Lady Eowyn of Ithilien" <halfe...@aol.comelwing> wrote in message

Lady Eowyn of Ithilien

Apr 18, 2004, 10:56:53 PM4/18/04
Ahhhh...so they're not boots...oh well, no biggie. For some reason I thought
they were. I am feeling quite covetous of them, just the same. ;-)

Ugh. I'd forgotten that Yvonne Elliman sang that horrendous song (which I
cannot remove from my head now ~ thanks a whole hell of a lot, Slumpy)...but
let's not forget that she also sang some good background for Mr. Eric Clapton
as well. The good outweighs the bad, perhaps?

Aside from JCS, I also like "Godspell" quite a bit. But JCS rules.

JJ (UK)

Apr 19, 2004, 6:43:25 AM4/19/04

> Zero 7 eh ?
>
> Another Bobby Elms favourite ;-)

Yep! Wifey bought it...

--
JJ (UK)

slumpy

Apr 19, 2004, 6:56:32 AM4/19/04
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel JJ (UK) decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

>> Zero 7 eh ?

>> Another Bobby Elms favourite ;-)
>
> Yep! Wifey bought it...

Good choice.

Apr 21, 2004, 7:30:42 AM4/21/04
On 13 Apr 2004 19:41:42 GMT, halfe...@aol.comelwing (Lady Eowyn of
Ithilien) wrote:

>The Moody Blues'
>anthology "Time Traveller" amongst my choices of music as well. And I was
>listening to Sir Elton John just the other day: "Madman Across the Water" is
>one of my very favorite albums of all time.

You always had a great (r)ear......for music, Missy.

Apr 21, 2004, 7:31:13 AM4/21/04
Ithilien) wrote:

>Yep...I meant to mention The White Stripes' "Elephant" and The Moody Blues'

>anthology "Time Traveller" amongst my choices of music as well. And I was
>listening to Sir Elton John just the other day: "Madman Across the Water" is
>one of my very favorite albums of all time.

Hey, you're not Missy!

Apr 21, 2004, 7:31:38 AM4/21/04
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:41:35 +1000, "Bob"
<vuckemai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Neil young harvest

Yep. classic greatness.

Apr 21, 2004, 7:32:42 AM4/21/04
On 18 Apr 2004 20:29:25 GMT, halfe...@aol.comelwing (Lady Eowyn of
Ithilien) wrote:

>I am very interested in Tyreah's music and would like to procure a copy of the
>album mentioned originally in Munir's post. Tyre, are you selling any of your
>wares? ;-)

She's saving herself for the Jimma.

Bob

Apr 21, 2004, 3:01:30 PM4/21/04