Perfect Sound Forever- October 2022 issue now out

1 view

Jason Gross

Oct 1, 2022, 10:59:21 PM10/1/22
Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <https://www.furious.com/perfect/index1022.html>, you'll find (among other things):

ABORTION RIGHTS & THE INDIE WORLD
How artists want to fight back, & how you can too, by Jason Gross
"To gauge some personal reactions from other artists, we spoke to several indie artists about abortion rights in a post-Roe world, including their own experiences, and the experiences they've witnessed with friends and families. Along with the women here, we also spoke to several men as allies, some part of the LGBTQ+ community, about the ways to fight back and go forward."

BUZZCOCKS
Interview- Steve Diggle on a post-Shelley world, by Robert Pally
"Veteran English punk rock band Buzzcocks recently released a new album after 8 years called Sonics In The Soul. The group had become identifiable with singer/guitarist Pete Shelley right up to his death in December 2018. Singer/guitarist Steve Diggle, a band member from almost the very beginning and a fixture since then, decided to keep the band flag flying."

IVOR DARREG
Unique composer, foodie, inventor honored, by Eric Jones
"Pacific Bell had been the provider of phone service in California since 1906, so when everything went electronic they junked hundreds of tons of elctro-mechanical relay racks. Along came Ivor Darreg, who converted all things into musical instruments."

KASENETZ-KATZ SINGING ORCHESTRA
Bubblegum pop is good for you, by Kurt Wildermuth
"The label "fringe time capsule" applies well to The Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus, a vintage LP that made it out of the analog era but just barely. This pop-cultural artifact was released by New York's Buddah (later, correctly, Buddha) Records in 1968... Kasenetz and Katz coined the term "bubblegum music" to characterize their principal products, which were targeted toward teenagers and other gum-chewers with expendable income."

THE LINDA LINDAS - YEE LOI
Asian girls rock & kick butt, by Alan Crandall
"As to their "punk"-ness, in Yee Loi's case their cred is without question as they continually flaunt their allegiance to the pantheon of '70's proto-punk and accessories – Stooges, Johnny Thunders, MC5, Pistols, and of course, The Ramones. The LL's bloodline to the classics is also clear – cited influences include Paramore, The Go-Go's, Blondie, Bikini Kill and Sleater-Kinney, and they have the good taste to cover the criminally forgotten and underrated Muffs."

RICHARD MELTZER
Rock scribe retires?- exit interview, by J. Hillenberg
"Only mid-20th century postwar America could have produced Meltzer. I'll be frank and cop that there are several individuals you can point to and say, "Only in this time, this place, could this human being happen." The cultural and societal forces that shaped Meltzer into one of the first "rock journalists" are no different from those that transformed many of his peers."

MONSTER CLUB
Great lost '80's movie soundtrack, by Darren Barakat
"It's a low-budget child of the Twilight Zone and Creepshow, a comic book come to life. The monster masks look like they come from The Dollar Store, so the scene seems like a Halloween party. It's not a slasher film. It's campy rather than scary. The movie's promotional ad said "You'll meet some interesting people and hear some great songs at The Monster Club." Great songs, indeed."

DERRICK MORGAN
Making of a legendary ska anthem, by Eric Doumerc
"Derrick Morgan's "Forward March" was released in 1962, the year when Jamaica became independent. It came out on the Beverley's label, and was an instant hit. Indeed, the song struck a chord with many Jamaicans' feelings about independence, and is full of hope and optimism at the prospect of breaking free from the British colonial yoke."

JOHN OSWALD
What do plunderphonics mean in '22?, by J. Vognsen
"The collage music of John Oswald has the character of regular prophecy. Whether or not one happens to have had any direct contact with Oswald's conscious repurposing of sounds already solidly in the public mainstream, his music and the philosophical, moral and legal issues it touches upon define the reality we are all living in today."

PEE SHY
Why hold back the alternarock phenom?, by Kurt Wildermuth
"Let's embrace the beautiful, the moving, the exhilarating. Pee Shy's first CD includes those things and more. It simultaneously captures and transcends its moment. It also sports decent cover art, whose hand-crafted nature signals the band's playfulness, although the crazy-mechanical-monkey imagery, garish colors, and scrawled type suggest punk rock more than pop-rock."

KLAUS SCHULZE
Remembering the great German electronics guru- interviews by Jason Gross
"When we died this past April at age 74, we lost an unique artist for sure. To honor him, we spoke with his long-time manager Klaus D. Mueller, Eurock's Archie Patterson who has been a long time booster and expert on KS's music, film maker James L. Frachon (who collaborated with KS on several movies)."

SOUL OF PROTEST
Godfather of Soul, Marvin, Kendrick lead the way, by Dr. Tamara Hill
"Even though the musical landscape has transformed as an entity, Black artists performing songs about protest and resistance have been expanded to include police brutality, mass incarceration, war, AIDS and a continual demand for equality that has never ceased."

SOUNDS OF SILENCE
Rating an album of no sounds, by Daniel Barbiero
"Recorded silence may be interesting beyond the apparently contradictory fact that it preserves the audio image of the inaudible. It may be that what makes recorded silence intriguing--and presumably what makes one recorded silence more intriguing than another--isn't a matter of what one can, or can't, hear, but rather the reason it was recorded in the first place."

THAT DOG.
Interview- 90's indie insiders, by Peter Crigler
"One of the quirkiest bands of the ‘90s, that dog, came up in the same scene as Beck, Weezer and others. Adding a violin and three-part female harmonies to the mix was certain to help the band stand out in an already overcrowded field and they did. The female-led group had quite a heritage: singer Anna Waronker had both parents in the biz and the Haden sisters (bassist Rachel and violinist Petra) were daughters to legendary jazz bassist Charlie Haden."

VINYL ANACHRONIST, by Marc Phillips
The Mo-Fi Mess
"I've shared a big part of my audiophile life with Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. When I heard the news that Mo-Fi admitted to using digital processing in one stage of LP remastering, it was like hearing those bad stories about Al Franken for the first time or eating the Spicy Chicken sandwich from Chick Fil-A and thinking 'oh goddamnit, that's good.'"

WATERFRONT BLUES FESTIVAL
A 35 year old tradition survives, thrives by Bob Gersztyn
"The Waterfront Blues Festival is an annual event that occurs every July 4th weekend since it began in 1987 with John Lee Hooker headlining. Over the years the festival has featured headliners like Gregg Allman, Buddy Guy, Isaac Hayes, Steve Miller and Robert Plant to name a few. This year it was celebrating its 35th year as it resumed in its normal location on the banks of the Willamette River at Tom McCall Park in downtown Portland, Oregon."

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FGcXtZHRfFgsvrCMZgSzO?si=6bc1784f0afb4f6a>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason