Perfect Sound Forever music magazine- October 2020 issue now out

CSA Jason Gross

Sep 30, 2020, 7:33:50 PM9/30/20
Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <http://furious.com/perfect/index1020.html>, you'll find (among other things):

9353
Complex DC hardcore
interview/tribute by Brian F. Cousins
"9353 is certainly one of the D.C. bands that had a very different attitude and agenda than their straightedge contemporaries and much of this great band's music remains unheard and unappreciated by those not fortunate enough to have witnessed them live in their ‘80's heyday. PSF spoke to Dan Joseph, drummer with 80's post-punk D.C. band 9353 about the band's years surrounded by the hardcore, straightedge scene."

ABBA
Why they're vital during COVID times
article by Teresa Gonzales
"Most music lovers who aren't necessarily ABBA fans think of their music as just feel-good '70's pop. Mainstays; overplayed, albeit popular music cranked at just about every karaoke bar on Friday night. Feel-good yes, but not deep, raw and meaningful like the Beatles, Joplin and Dylan. When it comes to music, I love being proven wrong. The first stop on my journey of ABBA's anthology took me to one of their many mid-'70's performances."

BRIAN ENO
Can you orchestrate ambient music?
article by Daniel Barbiero
"The problem that Jerry Pergolesi faced consisted in finding a way of translating the inputs and operations of Eno's original simple-melodies-and-looping mechanism into specific, scored gestures for Contact's musicians. The means Pergolesi chose for doing so involved constructing an ingenious, open-ended and genuinely indeterminate system that worked through a set of rules that would allow the individual musicians a significant degree of choice over what they could play at any given time."

AUSTIN GRAVELDING
'70's indie folk & Dio buddy
article by Kurt Wildermuth
"The singer-songwriter Austin Gravelding has two big claims to fame. One is having written a song, "Wish We Were Heroes," that the Melissa Manchester recorded as a duet with Bread's David Gates. The track appeared on Manchester's album Hey Ricky (1982), where it put Gravelding in the songwriting company of, among others, Bernie Taupin, Carole Bayer Sager, Vangelis, and George and Ira Gershwin. Gravelding's other big claim is having written a song, "Hello Teddy Bear," with Ron Padovona. who became better known as Ronnie James Dio"

GREATEST MISSES
Status Quo, X get hits w/ consequences
book excerpt by Darren Barakat
"This is an excerpt from an updated re-release of Darren Barakat's book 'Greatest Misses,' which covers great lesser known classic songs of rock music from the 1960's up through the 1990's. You can see all of the rest of the book at Amazon. PSF had run previous excerpt from the book (featuring Zombies, BOC) in our April 2015 issue."

HAWKWIND
The mad tale of their Space Ritual tour
Days of the Underground book excerpt by Joe Banks
"With its own alliances, revolving door membership, egos and power struggles, this motley group included not only a dancer and a science fiction writer but also metal-god Lemmy before he hatched Motörhead. Theirs is a tangled, twisted story that's worth telling in detail, blow by blow, and they've found a fine chronicler in the likes of Joe Banks whose new bio on the band (Days of the Underground, available from Strange Attractor) not only includes details of all of their albums in the '70's but also full interviews with numerous former band members."

GUY HOFFMAN
Ex-Violent Femmes, BoDeans drummer adds it up
interview by Peter Crigler
"In 1993, percussionist Victor DeLorenzo departed from the band he'd help form, the Violent Femmes. In search of a replacement, the remaining duo fixed in on Guy Hoffman, who'd been the founding drummer of the BoDeans, but departed after their first album due to medical issues. Over the next nine years, Hoffman and the Femmes toured the world."

HOZAC RECORDS
Power pop, synthpunk, archival &amp; filth
interview by Scott Bass
"For the last decade and a half, Hozac Records of Chicago has been one of those labels - not just working out in the field, but deep in the weeds -- releasing true underground rock 'n' roll records. As of this issue of PSF, HoZac has just released a tell-all paperback by Power Pop hero Paul Collins, along with a companion single, and it's absolutely required reading for his fans. We spoke to honcho Todd Novak about the label."

LITTLE JOHN
'80's dancehall singer grows up
tribute by Eric Doumerc
"Little John is a dancehall singer from the 1980’s who can be credited with blurring the boundaries between singing and singjaying, and thus with creating a new style which became known as "singjaying." He was born John McMorris in 1970 in Kingston,Jamaica and went into the music business at a very early age (he was barely nine when he started), hence his nom de plume, Little John. He first worked under the tutelage of Sugar Minott, whose Youth Promotion sound system and label sought to nurture talent from Jamaica's ghettoes."

MARY LEE'S CORVETTE
A Dylan fan's true love of adventure
article by Kurt Wildermuth
"In 2018, Mary Lee Kortes collected, curated, and edited the collection Dreaming of Dylan: 115 Dreams About Bob. Sixteen years earlier, Mary Lee's Corvette gained attention for its album-length, concert-recorded cover of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. Some of that attention came from Dylan, who gave his royal seal of approval. While I wouldn't have associated True Lovers of Adventure with Blood on the Tracks, the fact that Kortes is such a fan doesn't surprise me."

JOHN MCLAUGHLIN
Why did Mahavishnu influenced so many?
article by Cyrus Manasseh
"Right from their beginnings in New York in 1971, this very influential band had pioneered, executed and carried through a difficult, specialized and complicated musical style melding Miles Davis's electric jazz and their interpretations of rock with Indian and Eastern sounds. Through astounding technique and musicianship, Mahavishnu's influence has seen the actual altering of how electric bands have played and operated in a musical sense, even though perhaps no one has ever fully matched their super-explosive musical example."

AL PERKINS
Steel guitar session legend
interview by John Wisniewski
"Even if you don't know think you know steel guitarist Al Perkins, if you're an old-school country fan or a classic rock fan, you do actually know him. And if you still don't, you'll soon be jealous of his resume. Early boosters included Kenny Rogers (who produced his band) and early band-mates included Don Henley, who would later have a little band called the Eagles, who Perkins would also play with. After a stint with the Flying Burrito Brothers, he joined Steven Stills' Manassas band and recorded with the Rolling Stones."

KEITH TIPPETT
RIP- unique UK piano drama
tribute by Jorge Luis Fernandez
"Born in Southmead, Bristol, Tippett played piano, church organ, cornet and tenor horn in his early teens, and in 1967, he moved to London to pursue a career in music, taking menial jobs while performing in jazz clubs. By the early 1970's, he became somewhat of a fashionable figure. His punchy yet polished Sextet included the celebrated horns of Marc Charig, Nick Evans and Elton Dean (who, by that time, became an established fourth member of Soft Machine), along with bassists such as Harry Miller and Roy Babbington, and drummers like Alan Jackson and Nucleus' John Marshall (who, along with Babbington, would also join the Softs). "

DAVID TOOP
Of experiments, writings, compilations
interview by John Wisniewski
"It's not easy being a polymath. Musician/composer/author/ethnomusicologist/educator David Toop is proof of that. Since we last spoke to him in a 1997 interview, he's come out with several books, including Sinister Resonance, Into the Maelstrom , Flutter Echo and Inflamed Invisible: Writing On Art and Sound 1976-2018. For albums, he's since released Sound Body on David Sylvian's Samadhisound label, Entities Inertias Faint Beings, Apparition Paintings and Field recording and Fox Spirits. That's not even mentioning his recent collaborations include Rie Nakajima, Akio Suzuki, Tania Caroline Chen, John Butcher, Ken Ikeda, Elaine Mitchener, Henry Grimes, Sharon Gal, Camille Norment, Sidsel Endresen, Alasdair Roberts, Fred Frith, Thurston Moore, Ryuichi Sakamoto."

VINYL ANACHRONIST
What are record stores' fate?
article by Marc Phillips
"Tell me about your favorite record store. I mean the one you currently patronize, or even the one you went to regularly as a young person when you were just discovering your music. You know, the store that's probably been closed for 20 years now, and you really miss it and wish you could go there one more time. I've been to all the great ones in the US- Tower on Sunset Boulevard, Amoeba in both Los Angeles and Berkeley, Waterloo in Austin and Music Millennium in Portland."

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6ZkokvcfilGNCp0xBvtN7g?si=r0cLFG7ETVCN2mjkRJGefw>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason