Perfect Sound Forever- February 2024 issue now out

1 view

Jason Gross

Jan 31, 2024, 10:02:26 PMJan 31
Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <https://www.furious.com/perfect/index0224.html>, you'll find (among other things):

2023 WRITERS' POLL
Our fave music from last year
"Even in this digital-streaming age, we music nuts still like to get those little collections of songs that we call records. Here's what our staff dug from this past year. Maybe you're agree, disagree or find something new to listen to. Also, let us know some of your favorites from 2023 and we'll post some of the best lists in an upcoming issue."

THE ANNUAL EXCERPT
Vinyl hunting in Trinidad by Alfred Boland & Marthy Coumans
"Korm Plastics founder Frans de Waard teamed up with designer Alfred Boland for a new publication, The Annual. For a long time, both had wanted to publish a magazine, which eventually became what they hope will be a regular yearbook with 'everything you never knew you were interested in.' They invited their authors (present and future) to contribute an article, which led to a wildly diverse selection. As a preview, we present you Marthy Coumans' article on buying vinyl on the island of Trinidad."

JESSICA BAILIFF
Interview- drone, shoegaze chanteuse, by Brett Abrahamsen
"Jessica Bailiff debuted in 1998 with Even In Silence, an excellent, drone-heavy work whose best moments recalled the likes of Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond, and the lesser known ambient shoegazers Windy and Carl. Though undoubtedly a fine release, Even In Silence was merely a prelude to her 2002 self-titled masterpiece, Jessica Bailiff."

BLIND MELON
Interview- a mouthful of cavities, by Peter Crigler
"Blind Melon were one of the most successful bands of the ‘90’s post-Nirvana alternative boom. “No Rain” became one of the most recognizable songs of the entire decade but they were so much more than just that one song. Frontman Shannon Hoon, full of charisma and wit became so dynamic on stage that he fell victim to a rapidly exceeding drug habit. Dying in 1995, two months after the release of their brilliant sophomore record doomed the band to seemingly live forever in his shadow. The band’s album, Soup, was a catalyst for my friends and I in middle and high school and is still one of the most underrated alt rock records ever."

BOB CUTLER
Interview- D.O.A. encounters, punk hockey games, by Jack Partain
"By the mid-1990's, Bob Cutler's life was at a crossroads. The Outhouse, the legendary Lawrence, Kansas punk rock venue he had been working at for nearly a decade was in decline and would soon close its doors to live music forever (it is now a strip-club). The hardcore band he had built, Slackjaw, had risen above the fold in the alternative rock scene in the Midwest before dying a premature death on the road to South By Southwest. But he was still a young man, and had well-over a dozen years' experience as a sound man. Like so many lives in the music industry, his fortunes would change with just one call."

FIRESIGN THEATRE
Interview- surrealist comedy gets religion, by Bob Gersztyn
"The Summer of Love in 1967 was when Peter Bergman was an L.A. DJ who coined the term "Love In" when he promoted a gathering over the radio that resulted in 65,000 people blocking the freeways for miles. This event so impressed Columbia Records producer Gary Usher that as a result, he offered the Firesign Theatre their first record contract. The Saturday in January 2005 that I interviewed them, they were ironing out the bugs of a new show at the time."

HUGGINS PAN-DEMONIUM
A 1970's Steel Drum Artifact, by Kurt Wildermuth
"An artifact--physical, cultural, like a time capsule--can be a window onto a world. That world may exist in some form, but the view may be obscured. Consider the LP Huggins Pan-Demonium at the Holiday Inn Trinidad, released privately by Hug Pan in 1976. One look at the cover, and you know you've happened on a cared-for creation. The confidently rendered artwork combines aesthetic merit with retro-kitsch appeal, which extends to the inclusion of the Holiday Inn logo and colors. Even if the record proves defective or the music is not to your liking, the cover could serve as an eye-catching wall decoration."

PAT IRWIN
Interview- Raybeats, no wave & cartoon music, by John Wisniewski
"After studying with John Cage in Paris, Irwin came to NYC and dived into the no wave scene of the late '70's, becoming a member of 8-Eyed Spy with Lydia Lunch and later working with her on her solo debut. Around then, he also formed 'neo-surf' band the Raybeats with Spy bassist George Scott. After a few albums, the band broke up in '84 and Irwin would then record and tour with the B-52's, whom he had met back when he first came to New York. In the late '80's, Irwin also began his long-standing work as a film, TV composer, working on documentaries, dramas and cartoons."

MOONJUNE RECORDS
Interview- prog rock label haven, by Dr. Gary Gomes
"MoonJune Records has released numerous albums since 2001. The music they record and release aims to avoid pigeonholing, which is why they have a huge catalog of various types of music, including jazz, jazz-rock, music from around the world. The inspiration for the label was the need to release in 2001 projects for former Soft Machine saxophonist Elton Dean, and two then-young Italian progressive rock bands, Finisterre and D.F.A."

SHANE MACGOWAN
Tribute- Irish nationalist as balladeer, by Brian Cousins
"Shane in his final years was lauded as a great songwriter by no lesser talents than Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen, none of whom are prone to faint praise or insincerity and each of whom would visit him in his final years in Ireland. Tom Waits also broke his silence to pay his respects. And Shane's huge talent is there for all to see and hear. His songwriting will certainly endure and remain the force that invigorated and dragged the Irish diaspora firmly into the 1980's with its welding of traditional folk themes with the energy and attitude of punk."

GRANT-LEE PHILLIPS
Interview- Torn Boys, Shiva Burlesque, Grant Lee Buffalo, by John Wisniewski
"Phillips took along Shiva Burlesque's rhythm section, bassist Paul Kimble and drummer Joey Peters, to transform the combo into Grant Lee Buffalo, who put out four well-regarded albums of Americana music in the 1990's. In the new millennium, Phillips has gone solo pursuing his folk-Americana muse infused with a melodic sensibility and his passionate voice and even made several appearances on the iconic TV show Gilmore Girls. Here, Phillips talks about his early days, his music influences and his evolution as an artist and his plans for archival releases."

PUNK TO COUNTRY
Personal musical transition & reckoning, by Danny R. Phillips
"While punk was, and always will be, in my heart, it seemed it was time to re-evaluate the space it held in my life. I longed for a well-placed mandolin, a Hammond B-3 organ, a pedal steel full of emotion or a lyric line that breaks my heart no matter how many times I hear it; sadness over anger, purity over pretense, melody over disjointed lines. Sonic beauty over a wall of sound and spit."

MAYO THOMPSON
Interview- surrealist soloist & Krayola years, by Jason Gross
"Someone like guitarist/singer/songwriter Mayo Thompson could have easily rested on his laurels as co-founder of Texas psychedelic art band Red Crayola, later as Red Krayola when the crayon people protested. But after the band broke up, he created the remarkably unique 1970 solo album Corky's Debt to His Father, which about 50 years later was revived by a series of L.A. and New York shows in the last few years."

VELVET UNDERGROUND
Oral history book excerpt- the band meets Warhol's Factory, by Dylan Jones
"According to Reed, Warhol presented Nico as an ultimatum: he would manage them, give them a place to rehearse (the Factory), finance their equipment, support them, find them a record deal, produce them, and make them famous. . . as long as they gave him 25 percent of their earnings, did what they were told, and put Nico in the band. Warhol didn't think Reed was a good enough frontman (he didn't think he was especially attractive, either). And so Reed and the band went along with it. He didn't really feel the group needed a chanteuse, but as long as they were able to use her sporadically, he reckoned it would be fine."

VINYL ANACHRONIST
2023, the year of...? by Marc Phillips
"This brings us, once again, to the 24th annual Vinyl Anachronist Awards for Analog Excellence, as well as the 26th anniversary of this column. Despite all my running around, I do have a clear choice in each category this year, and I won't be making any lame excuses about not having enough time to listen to enough music. It's been a frantic year, but it has been productive."

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6bMj9a1n2tOVaulLFR3XY1?si=3a65b26944994b55>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason

Universal Alert

Feb 17, 2024, 4:30:48 AMFeb 17
RED UNIVERSAL ALERT.

OPEN LETTER TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND ALL PEOPLES OF THE WHOLE WORLD.

The American people and all peoples of the whole world must immediately know the truth and take urgent action to relief Mr. REDHA BENDRIDI, help him to get his rights and funds located in the United States Department of Treasury and everywhere they are located and help him to get copies of all evidence, records, tax records, documents, investigation reports, reports and recognition and copy of the email of Hillary Clinton.
Mr. REDHA BENDRIDI is in terrible situation, evil people from many countries are torturing him, poisoning him by harmful substances, attacking him, preventing hip from obtaining a human and natural life, preventing him from obtaining his rights and funds and everything, cutted his only source of financial income in SONATRACH for months and trying to detain him in a mental hospital and prison to liquidate him and this will lead to a nuclear world war and global disaster.

Best regards.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EDU9Rq1ekxMZtVgpxE1WB8OoYtuAgV0e?usp=sharing

https://tinyurl.com/tjuzdz8k

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13UjjeNL08tCrO6KcY7tATgaU2Mc0DCUe?usp=sharing