Perfect Sound Forever- August 2023 issue now out

Jason Gross

Jul 31, 2023, 10:15:22 PM7/31/23
Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <https://www.furious.com/perfect/index0823.html>, you'll find (among other things):

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Musicians say how they'll cope & use it, interviews by J. Vognsen
"Several noted composers and musicians were asked about the new technology. 'The ability of AI to make text, images and sound is improving at a rapid pace. Does this affect how you think about your own music? Does it change how you view the value and purpose of making music? For example: On a practical level, do you worry about being unable to reach an audience as AI generated music continues to proliferate?'"

WILLIAM BASINSKI
"Disintegration Loops" revisited/reconsidered by Thomas Spargo
"Sitting on the rooftop balcony of his Brooklyn apartment in the early afternoon on 11th September 2001, the experimental composer William Basinski was to witness first-hand the catastrophic attacks on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Although he was just one of many that experienced the attack first-hand that day, Basinski's experience was particularly unique."

BOB CUTLER
Interview- Kansas/Midwest punk up close by Jack Partain
"or every Darby and Sid there are a couple of dozen guys who lugged their gear around, struggled to make their band sound good behind a soundboard, replaced their microphones, or rented the venue for the show. Those are the guys with the real stories, the good stories. Bob Cutler is one of those guys. He has lived a life in punk rock since the late 1970's."

FADOS OF PORTUGAL
A charming vintage folk LP to download by Kurt Wildermuth
"What do you know about fado? For some of you, fado is a given, a feature on your musical landscape: old school, old news, even though the tradition carries on. Until recently, I knew only that it is a form of Portuguese folk music, and it has been on my mental list of things to check out. An opportunity to do so arrived in the form of a thrift-shop find: a vintage copy of the LP Fados of Portugal. One look at the cover and I felt that tingly sensation announcing that an informative and probably pleasurable listening experience was in store."

FRANK GALLAGHER
Confessions of an expert new wave soundman by Brian Cousins
"Frank Gallagher has packed more into his life that most of us dream of, from running restaurants and pubs in London to booking rock venues in New York and befriending many of the musical greats of our time. His excellent podcast "Soundman Confidential" features conversations with many of the major talents he has worked with ranging fron Buddy Guy to all the members of Taking Heads, as well as music icons as diverse as Creation records impresario Alan McGee, record producer Steve Lillywhite and poet/performer John Cooper Clarke."

BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS
The story of "Trenchtown Rock" by Eric Doumerc
"'Trench Town Rock' was released in the early summer of 1971 on The Wailers' own Tuff Gong label and... it "turned Bob Marley into a national hero" thanks to its "lilting melody, pulsating 'riddim' and proud language." Indeed, the song's unforgettable bassline was to make it a major reggae anthem and Marley used "Trench Town Rock" to open his memorable concert at the Lyceum in London in 1975. The live recording of that concert was largely instrumental in launching Bob Marley's career in Europe. But the importance of the song transcends that fact."

MEGAN THEE STALLION
A love letter to Southern Women by Dr. Tamara Hill
"While I can pinpoint when my respect and love for Hip Hop started, I do not know when and how the "savage" statuesque Megan Thee Stallion began her love affair with it, but it is obvious that she comprehends its influence, and how she should maneuver and negotiate her manifestation as a Grammy award winner with her sexually explicit lyrics in this industry which is her own version of a "open love letter" to women and "Southern Swag Belles" everywhere. I say "love letter" because not only is she representing the South and her heritage but displaying the contemporary version of the Southern Swag Belle whose lyrics, whose desires, whose hungers were to be sexually pleased on her own terms with exquisite details."

RICHARD MASON
RIP PSF writer, punk musician by Angus Stevenson
"After Ed Ward died, I swore I was done writing obit for writers I admired but I have to make an exception for Richard Mason. The UK writer/musician was one of the earliest people I worked with here at PSF and just as importantly, he was a high quality scribe who was always interesting, entertaining, in your face, funny and fearless about his work."

QUEEN JESS APPROXIMATELY
Fiction- folky chanteuse breaks through by Jim Rader
"It was open mic night at The Backstreet Cafe, a Cambridge folk venue. As I signed up to play, I spotted newcomer Steve Goodman sitting alone at a back table, a little guy with curly auburn hair. "Hey, c'mon over," he shouted, "I saved a seat for you." We'd hit it off last week at another open mic, Steve wittily defining the folk genre thusly: "There are two kinds of folk music, see? There's Bob Dylan then there's everything else." I edged my way through the small crowd to his table."

THE RESIDENTS
Their great unfinished multi-media piece?- book excerpt by Jim Knipfel and Brian Poole
"As part of the Residents' lore, there were a number of albums that were started and never finished. One of the most legendary ones is also one of their most earliest projects- Vileness Fats, conceived as a multi-media piece. As with all the things surrounding the Residents, the story is intriguing and baffling."

DANE RUDHYAR
Dissonant harmony composer by Daniel Barbiero
"In contrast to the essentially linear approach to post-tonal composition with which the ultramoderns, and in particular Seeger, were associated, Rudhyar's compositional concept was based on what he called "dissonant harmony." "Harmony" was the key quality here, and it in turn was based on the foundation of Rudhyar's particular concept of tone, or "Tone," as he often liked to spell it."

STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
Interview- Belfast punk style by David DiPietro
"Henry Cluney formed Stiff Little Fingers in Belfast, Ireland in 1977. He wrote and played on the first 4 classic SLF albums: Inflammable Material (1979), Nobody's Heroes (1980) and Go for it (1981). He also appeared on the superb live album Hanx! (1980), and the final studio album of the classic era, Now Then... (1982) before the band split in 1983."

SUBWAY SECT
Interview- London would-be punk legends by John Wisniewski
"In the onslaught of UK punk in the mid/late '70's, one of the bands that stood out in the scene but didn't quite get their due was a London foursome who were one of the earliest groups, playing with the big names then and there. Subway Sect's record output was two incendiary 1978 singles. But nothing else was forthcoming until a reconstituted version of the band put out their 1980 LP What's the Matter Boy? with the group then splitting up a few years later. Singer/founder Vic Godard tells the story of the beginnings of the band, how the Pistols and Clash management encouraged them early on, what the punk scene was like from his view and how he stays in touch with his former bandmates."

VELOCITY GIRL
Interview- Sub Pop goes indie pop by Pete Crigler
"Velocity Girl, out of Maryland, were one of the first non-Pacific Northwest bands to sign with Sub Pop and immediately courted a lot of indie success. With the angelic voice of the girl next door, Sarah Shannon, out front, the band stood out from the grunge and angst that was coming out from the Sub Pop label and they used that to their advantage. With some of the poppiest hooks to come out of the era, the band made their impact known. Their music still sounds as fresh and original today and that's quite the amazing feat."

VINYL ANACHRONIST
21st Century Turntable Innovations by Marc Philips
"Occasionally we try to reinvent the analog wheel. Over the decades, we've tried laser beam turntables and record players placed on their sides and other novel yet always flawed solutions, but we always come back to the graceful simplicity of platters, plinths, tonearms and needles. That's why there's still considerable interest in the older turntable designs from the '50's and '60's."

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4tV5YdaeGoct3m7unARbOA?si=550b6449d56146db>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason

Global Solidarity

Aug 1, 2023, 5:35:30 AM8/1/23
 EXTREMELY URGENT  FOR THE LIVES AND SAFETY OF ALL PEOPLES OF THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

The letters, SOS and links in the links below contain very sensitive, dangerous and critical hidden information that concern all peoples of the whole world; their lives and safety.

Everyone should not waste any moment to read all of them, download all of them and put all of them on drive and send all of them quickly, urgently and fastly to all peoples of the whole world and take urgent action.

TO AVOID AN UPCOMING GLOBAL DISASTER AND FOR GLOBAL SAFETY; ALL PEOPLES OF THE WHOLE WORLD MUST IMMEDIATELY PREVENT THE CRIMINAL DETENTION OF MR. REDHA BENDRIDI IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL AND PRISON BECAUSE THAT WILL LEAD TO AN UNPRECEDENTED GLOBAL DISASTER.

Time is very short for all peoples of the whole world.

Best regards.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xgq1vuf9fFCHusg6QCUrEqDVizGWoZFk?usp=sharing

https://tinyurl.com/bdfdxn6d

https://shorturl.at/oLRV7

https://t.ly/oi8Zs

https://actright.com/cause/global-solidarity-with-mr-redha-bendridi-3007-366441-20220313110110o1hpjm

Critical Universal

Aug 19, 2023, 2:21:02 PM8/19/23
EXTREMELY URGENT SOS TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY: FIRST UNIVERSAL PRIORITY.

Dear Madam, Sir;

This case and situation directly concern everyone around the world, his life and safety.

Mr. REDHA BENDRIDI is a very important global personality but most of people don't know him and he saved billions of lives many times, preserved global peace, safety and security and prevented violent and armed conflicts and civil war in the United States but most of people don't know that.

His life and the lives of all people related to him and their safery are very important for the whole world because of many reasons.

For many years without cease one single day; a very dangerous organized global evil and criminal network formed by a lot of officials and people from many countries are torturing him, poisoning him, attacking him from all sides, preventing authorities from interfering and resolving his case, preventing him from obtaining copies of evidence, records, documents, investigation reports, reports and recognition that concern him and his case which is the case of the whole world, preventing him from obtaining help, his rights and his funds, cutted his only resource of financial income and putted him in a very difficult financial situation, preventing media from covering his case and telling the truth, spreading false information about him and his case and inciting people against him, trying to assassinate him and trying to detain him by force with preprepared plans in a mental hospital and prison to torture him more, poison him more, force him to take harmful substances and medicines to liquidate him to hide the truth about his torture, the case, what is happening to him and to the whole world because of him and his case and to hide the truth about the violent, armed conflicts and the civil war in the United States that he has prevented from happening and this will lead to an unprecedented global disaster and end of life on earth.

Dear Madam, Sir;

For global safety and for the lives of all peoples of the whole world and their safety; all peoples of the whole world must immediately know the truth, take urgent action to protect Mr. REDHA BENDRIDI and eveyone related to him, URGENTLY PREVENT HIS CRIMINAL DETENTION IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL AND PRISON, protest and condemn his torture, the crimes against him and what is happening to him and to the whole world, open an official international investigation about his torture, his case, what is happening to him and to the whole world because of him and his case, launch a global campaign of fundraising and solidarity for him, urgently help him to get copies of evidence, records, documents, investigation reports, reports and recognition that concern him and his case, help him to get his rights and funds located in the United States Department of Treasury and everywhere there are located, help him to get an official international security insurrences, official international status and official recognition that he saved billions of lives and did a lot of good for humanity and the international community and urgently go meet with him in Algeria.

Time is very short for the whole world.

THIS MESSAGE AND ALL DOCUMENTS IN THE LINKS MUST IMMEDIATELY REACH ALL PEOPLES OF THE WHOLE WORLD.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Hrh__weDYydmwCAffAZiomg0HaKV2iXs?usp=sharing

https://tinyurl.com/272cwewv

https://shorturl.at/gELN7

https://t.ly/X7GSY