Jimi hendrix at Newark..what song ?

Ralph

Nov 22, 2003, 7:44:32 AM11/22/03
Recently there was a made for TV movie about Jimi on VH1. They showed a
scene during the riots when Jimi played a benefit concert at Newark. He
played this amazing sounding instrumental..I just have to know what that
song was called. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
Ralph

Big Daddy

Nov 22, 2003, 6:44:08 PM11/22/03
on Sat November 22 2003 7:44 am, Ralph decided to enlighten us with:

Possibly Beginnings (Jam Back at the House)? A nice version of it is on his
Woodstock CD/DVD (not the official Woodstock concert movie).

JohnPerry01

Nov 23, 2003, 12:27:01 PM11/23/03
This is the Newark date (on the 1968 tour with Soft Machine etc.) immed.
following the death of Martin Luther King? Hendrix abondoned his usual set &
played blues. I didn't know any footage (or sound) existed from this concert.
(I could be quite wrong of course).

Can anyone confirm ?

JP

Ralph

Nov 23, 2003, 4:35:15 PM11/23/03
You are right, it is the concert following the death of Martin Luther King
and Jimi was recommended not to play that concert but he did it anyway. I am
unsure of whether there is any real footage of him playing there. The clip I
saw was not Jimi himself, but rather it was an actor. However the movie (it
was a VH1 made for TV movie on Jimi I believe) did use Jimi's songs on the
soundtrack...so there may be recordings of this concert.

Man....so it's probably some blues improvisation, not one of his recorded
songs is what you're saying? :( That 25 seconds was simply amazing.

"JohnPerry01" <johnp...@aol.com.uk> wrote in message

Ralph

Nov 23, 2003, 4:42:50 PM11/23/03
FYI: this is the concert date 04-05-68: Symphony Hall, Newark, New Jersey

GS Wyllie

Nov 23, 2003, 4:54:48 PM11/23/03
I was there. No recognizable songs until the end when he seemed to play a
very short medley of bits and pieces of his songs, like a measure or 2 of
Fire, Manic Depression, etc.
Very Distorted...lots of echoes....fuzzy recall.
G.S.W.

JohnPerry01

Nov 23, 2003, 8:47:17 PM11/23/03
The testimony I know is from Mark Boyle -- innaresting man in his own right,
artist & at that time, lights man for the Soft Machine. He said that Jimi just
played a long blues & walked off. I always understoood that no taped record or
footage of it existed. (with the usual caveat, as always, I could be wrong!)

I -imagine- what you heard was some other piece of Jimi.

best

JP

JohnPerry01

Nov 23, 2003, 8:51:54 PM11/23/03
You were there - THEN WHY DIDNT YOU TAPE IT ?

No seriously, what a great show to have seen. Awful thing to say (re MLK) but
it must have been quite an atmosphere to be present at.

<< No recognizable songs until the end when he seemed to play a very short
medley of bits and pieces of his songs>>

Can you recall if the 'blues' piece was purely instrumental? (That's always
been the folk legend). Fascinating about the end medley.

best
JP

Ralph

Nov 24, 2003, 11:20:27 PM11/24/03
Wow :) You never know who you'll get a reply from :) Thanks for the info.

"GS Wyllie" <wy...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Steven Bugeja

Nov 26, 2003, 8:51:37 PM11/26/03
There is a documentary called "The southbank show" and on it the guy who was
doing the lights for that show said that Hendrix indeed dropped his normal
set and played an improvisation,but he said there was no recording of the
show.
Ralph <ralp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ralph

Nov 26, 2003, 9:23:05 PM11/26/03
Damn, what a waste..
Thanks
"Steven Bugeja" <jh...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

JohnPerry01

Nov 27, 2003, 12:04:07 PM11/27/03
<The southbank show" and on it the guy who was doing the lights for that show
said that Hendrix>

YEH - that's Mark Boyle (mentioned earlier in the thread).
JP

lecoh...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 4:43:39 PM4/16/17
I was at the concert as well. One of 4 times I saw Hendrix play live. There were supposed two be 2 shows that night. The second one was cancelled and I believe about 400 people showed. My memory also says that rioting was going on in parts of Newark at that Time.

grey...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2020, 7:45:12 PM1/1/20
I was there! One of 200 people that night. Only saw him play a jazz master! Would love to see see footage of this. Very unusual concert. Was over in a short time and my friends and I were out on the street in Newark calling for a ride home.

friedman...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2020, 8:14:53 PM1/2/20
I was there with my twin brother and a friend. It started way late because the Soft Machine’s light show was delayed. I remember moving to the fifth or sixth row as the large hall was very empty. We were on a family trip to Manhattan and my parents begged us not to go, but we had never seen Jimi and we got on the subway and arrived to downtown Newark streets lined by the National Guard. I agree that two planned shows were condensed into one.

We had learned about the assassination while leaving a Cafe Au Go Go show with the original Blood. Sweat and Tears with Al Kooper, Steve Katz and the Brecker Bros on horns. We had just turned 17. I disagree with the Soft Machine tech who said Jimi played one long blues jam and then ended the show. I remember a full set of his memorable songs. It was a magnetic performance that will endure as a seminal moment in the history of rock music and American culture. I often lament not having a time machine to revisit my transcendent concert experiences — this show would be my first destination — that’s for sure.

grey...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2020, 4:42:14 PM1/3/20
Do you remember if he lit his guitar on fire? That's what I remember. Or was that a different concert?

Greg Carr

Sep 12, 2022, 6:14:12 PM9/12/22
On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 5:14:53 PM UTC-8, friedman...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was there with my twin brother and a friend. It started way late because the Soft Machine’s light show was delayed. I remember moving to the fifth or sixth row as the large hall was very empty. We were on a family trip to Manhattan and my parents begged us not to go, but we had never seen Jimi and we got on the subway and arrived to downtown Newark streets lined by the National Guard. I agree that two planned shows were condensed into one.
>
> We had learned about the assassination while leaving a Cafe Au Go Go show with the original Blood. Sweat and Tears with Al Kooper, Steve Katz and the Brecker Bros on horns. We had just turned 17. I disagree with the Soft Machine tech who said Jimi played one long blues jam and then ended the show. I remember a full set of his memorable songs. It was a magnetic performance that will endure as a seminal moment in the history of rock music and American culture. I often lament not having a time machine to revisit my transcendent concert experiences — this show would be my first destination — that’s for sure.

What a great musical experience you had on that trip RIGHT ON.