Jimi and Janis Joplin ?

Pralaht

Oct 16, 2003, 6:44:36 PM10/16/03
Did Jimi have a jam or a session
together with Janis Joplin??

And if so, is there any tape or boot of this?

Peace, Pralaht

Mr Mxyzptlk

Oct 17, 2003, 1:14:33 AM10/17/03
As to the "session" question, my answer would be "no". As to the "jam"
question, I would say, "I doubt it", but I must say I'm intrigued as to a
possibility that somewhere, there might be.

I am certain, however, that Jimi did capture Janis on film with what
looked to be a "super-8" movie camera. I wonder whether any of that footage
ever turned up anywhere?

I thought this was going to be about that lame "urban legend". Anyone
else remember it? It went something like this: Jimi secretly married Janis
Joplin, and she had his love child, because Jimi was trying to avoid
induction into military service, whereupon he would have been shipped off to
fight in Vietnam.

This, of course, completely discards the fact that Jimi had already served
as an Army paratrooper, and was in fact rendered ineligible for continued
military service due to his injuries sustained during a jump. But then
again, why bother with facts?

From the Sewer of Lies, I remain...

- D
"Pralaht" <exp...@compumotive.de> wrote in message

Matthew Manley

Oct 17, 2003, 6:15:47 AM10/17/03

"Pralaht" <exp...@compumotive.de> wrote in message

According to Albert King he recorded Blues at Sunrise at The Fillmore West
with Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin.
He talks about it on In Session with Stevie Ray Vaughan, and tells Stevie to
play Jimi's part. At one point during the song he says, "

'...at the Fillmore West, I looked around one night, is saw a guy looked
just like you, I said, "I know that aint Stevie done eased in there." About
that time Jimi said, "Let's play some blues". I said, "OK, not without The
Queen though." That's Janis. We sent down for Janis. She came down with
her little glass. She always had her little glass God rest her soul. She
said, "What's Happening". I said, "We're gonna do some blues, we want you
to start if off, Honey." She said, "Cool." Jimi hit two or three more
licks, on the thing there. (Stevie plays a little bit here and then Albert
says) Do it again, I like that.'

Stevie was born in 54, so he was only 17 or so when Jimi died. I wouldn't
expect that he would have made an impression on Albert at that time, if he
even knew him (Stevie wasn't even playing in clubs till the mid 70's).
Stevie cites Albert King as being instrumental in his wanting to play guitar
for a living, so it is possible that Stevie had sought him out and he'd made
an impression.

Was Al getting a little senile at this point (recorded in 1983), or like
Jimi did he enjoy telling stories that were more entertaining than truthful.
We'll never be able to ask either of them as Albert King died just two years
after Stevie in 1992.

The official In Session release is only about an hour and there as about one
hour and forty-five minutes recorded so there is probably a boot out there
somewhere. It was also filmed for a Canadian TV show, so there should be
film of the whole thing.

News

Oct 17, 2003, 10:21:19 AM10/17/03
There is a story about Jimi and Janis and Albert King at the Fillmore
but I can't remember exactly how it goes.
Some story Albert told that was kinda sketchy...

They jammed but there is no recording?

hth,
Mark

Pralaht

Oct 19, 2003, 9:58:31 PM10/19/03
Thanxvm :))) at first for your kind answers to my question, Daryl.

"Mr Mxyzptlk" <nospamdontmailme@home> wrote:

> As to the "session" question, my answer would be "no". As to the "jam"
> question, I would say, "I doubt it", but I must say I'm intrigued as to a
> possibility that somewhere, there might be.

A friend of mine, being more a Janis' fan than of Jimi's, had asked
me for a record having both Jimi and Janis, and to my surprise,
she was absolutely sure about such a record or tape having survived.
Your above answer at least don't exclude such a possibility - good !

> I am certain, however, that Jimi did capture Janis on film with what
> looked to be a "super-8" movie camera. I wonder whether any of
> that footage ever turned up anywhere?

Yet I never got in touch with such a movie, however, I've got a photo
amongst my Jimi :) files showing Jimi while filming Janis and others.
Might be that it's from Monterey where Big Brother and the Holding
Company did perform, too, but I'm unsure about it as the photo
doesn't have additional information. At least this photo proves Jimi
indeed has filmed Janis... but where's the movie today? Don't know.

> I thought this was going to be about that lame "urban legend".
> Anyone else remember it? It went something like this: Jimi secretly
> married Janis Joplin, and she had his love child, because Jimi was
> trying to avoid induction into military service, whereupon he would
> have been shipped off to fight in Vietnam.
>
> This, of course, completely discards the fact that Jimi had already
served
> as an Army paratrooper, and was in fact rendered ineligible for continued
> military service due to his injuries sustained during a jump. But then
> again, why bother with facts?

Nice anecdote or fairy tale to warm up cold winter evenings ;)
The idea of a "love child" very well fits the Love and Peace
philosophy of the late 60ies, really a _nice_ idea.
Should Janie and Leon have an unknown competitor ?!! ;)

Till now, however, the old story of Jimi and Janis being a couple (which
is not at all in reach of truth) can be found : when Googling for Jimi
and Janis e.g. I discovered a Suisse website dealing with ideal couples
according to astrological data, giving "Jimi and Janis" <sic !> a pretty
good fate. Well, at least both are born in the same year and also did
tragically die in the same year... and there are some similarities which
indeed - as far as I know - had led to mutual appreciation and kind
af a friendship, but not to being a couple.

> From the Sewer of Lies, I remain...
>
> - D

Pretty lyrical words again, as I like them, however,
the opposite of truth when aiming at........you ;)

As another Sewer of Lies, I remain... too...

Peace, Pralaht

Pralaht

Oct 19, 2003, 10:44:49 PM10/19/03
Thanxvm :))) , Matt, for your kind answer.

Courious enough, the Fillmore West sessions in
question yet I was not able to find on boots or any bootleg list
in my reach, however, one other ( ...only at first sight... )

HP at
http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrix.html
quotes the boot

"LOOSE ENDS", Vol.2
(Spank Janie SJR 0002 / 1997 / 1CD),

and he finally notes:

| This CD also includes a recording of "Land Of A Thousand
| Dances", allegedly by Ike & Tina Turner jamming with Jimi
| Hendrix & *Janis Joplin* at the Madison Square Garden,
| New York City 27.11.69.
| However: Although Hendrix attended the Rolling Stones
| concert at Madison Square Garden 27.11.69, where Ike
| & Tina Turnere were the warm-up act, and although this seems
| to be a recording by Ike & Tina - maybe even from that particular
| concert - there's no indication of any Jimi Hendrix involvement on it.

Following HP's critical words, now my hands
feel as empty as before :(
Anyways, if somebody has got this boot, please feel as free
as to tell me by mail for a trade !!!

"Matthew Manley" <matm...@ktis.net> wrote:

Very interesting quote of Albert King you're giving. Obviously you are not
only a great fan of Jimi :) but of SRV, too.
And what follows are rather sagacious conclusions of your's, Matt !

What's left, however, is s.o. who definitely knows s.t. about any tapes
or even any bootlegs having recorded this Hendrix-King-Joplin
session at the Fillmore West...

I hope your hints, Matt, will make someone remember more !!!

Peace, Pralaht

dmpr...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 10:56:27 AM10/5/16
Albert King and Janis Joplin posted the Fillmore EAST on March 8,1968.. I'm thinking this is when he meant.