John Glascock: what happened?

Emmett Hoops

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
can't ask.
Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
Of what did he die?
Seems to me he was one hell of a good bass player: very, very melodic.
It's a damn shame he left this stage early, IMHO.

Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
death?

Emmett

Mike

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Unfortunately, Mr. Glascock died of a heart attack due to an infection of
some sort. My understanding is he was unable to complete his work on
Stormwatch for health reasons, which is why IA stepped in.

He was a great bass player. I have not seen any public reaction by the
band to his death.

Re: "A", it seems like Ian wanted to freshen up the band-- it was
originally going to be a solo album, and he only kept Martin on. All the
other musicians were released. I understand there were some hard
feeling about this.

mist...@aol.com

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

In article <32d8623b...@news.capital.net>, eho...@capital.net
(Emmett Hoops) writes:

>I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
>can't ask.
>Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
>that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
>band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
>Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
>Of what did he die?

He had a heart disease (I don't recall more specifics than that), which
apparently became serious during the Songs from the Wood tour. While he
played on the Heavy Horses LP, he played on very few, of the live shows
supporting that album. (Maybe played on one leg of the tour only? IDR) I
believe he was hospitalized at that time. Tony Williams completed that
tour. In fact, on the 20 Years video with the live footage from the HH
tour,, that's Tony Williams playing. (Isn't he also on at least part of
Bursting Out, uncredited?)

He was able to make it for some of the SW sessions, but Ian had to
complete the bass on the recording. Dave Pegg was hired shortly
thereafter to play for the SW tour and just kind of stuck. I think JG
died while the album was being recorded. "Elegy" is, of course, written
for JG. I don't know about SMB.

I don't think Ian was considering breaking up the band so much as taking a
little time off. _A_ came about initially as a solo project. At some
point, Ian decided it sounded more like Tull than Ian Anderson solo, and
announced that it was, in fact, Tull, much to the chagrin of Barrie, John,
and David Palmer. I think BB and JE are both still kind of bitter over
this turn of events, IIRC.

>Seems to me he was one hell of a good bass player: very, very melodic.
>It's a damn shame he left this stage early, IMHO.

Agreed. Had a great personality as a bass player.

>Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
>death?

See above. They were quite upset about it. John's death is discussed in
the @0 Years booklet and maybe in the 25 years book, too.

Derek
Pope, Tormentors/Empire of Energy
Knight Officer, Ordo Pantheris
Assistant Dean, College of Disorder, UU

No clowns!

xmills

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Emmett Hoops <eho...@capital.net> wrote in article
<32d8623b...@news.capital.net>...

> I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
> can't ask.
> Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
> that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
> band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
> Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
> Of what did he die?
> As far as recall John died following complications after open heart
surgery .If my memory serves me well (and i will be corrected if it does
not ) the reason for the almost ytotal line up change following stormwatch
is as follows.
Dave Pegg joined to replace glacock and while they were waiting top record
the nexttull album he joined Martin and Ian on what was supposed to be
essentially an Ian solo album however due to record company preasure they
were forced to realease it as a tull album thus causing the lineup change .
i know it doesn't really answer your question but i hope it helps along the
way

Lucas Treffkorn

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Emmett Hoops wrote:

> I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
> can't ask.
> Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
> that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
> band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
> Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
> Of what did he die?
> Seems to me he was one hell of a good bass player: very, very melodic.
> It's a damn shame he left this stage early, IMHO.
>
> Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
> death?
>
> Emmett

I know this one. John Glascock underwent open heart surgery some time
before the recording of the Stormwatch album. He never fully recovered,
and during the recording his health deteriorated so rapidly that Ian had
to play mmost of the bass parts himself. John Glascock eventually died,
presumably because of the surgery thing. Too bad.

Lucas Treffkorn

Biffyshrew

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

mist...@aol.com wrote:

>Dave Pegg was hired shortly
>thereafter to play for the SW tour and just kind of stuck. I think JG
>died while the album was being recorded. "Elegy" is, of course, written
>for JG.

John Glascock died after the album was completed, while the band (with
Dave Pegg) was on tour. Specifically, the band learned of his death after
the show in San Diego, which happens to be the show I saw on that tour.
Since he was still alive, though seriously ill, when the album was
finished, it would have been in monumentally bad taste to have dedicated
"Elegy" to him.

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew @}-`--}----
Information on THE BRANDNEWBUG CONCERTOS (voted the 606th best album of all time!) at http://users.aol.com/biffyshrew/biffy.html
"Don't take life so serious son...it ain't NOHOW permanent."--Porkypine

mist...@aol.com

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

In article <19970114030...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
biffy...@aol.com (Biffyshrew) writes:

>mist...@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Dave Pegg was hired shortly
>>thereafter to play for the SW tour and just kind of stuck. I think JG
>>died while the album was being recorded. "Elegy" is, of course, written
>>for JG.
>
>John Glascock died after the album was completed, while the band (with
>Dave Pegg) was on tour. Specifically, the band learned of his death
after
>the show in San Diego, which happens to be the show I saw on that tour.
>Since he was still alive, though seriously ill, when the album was
>finished, it would have been in monumentally bad taste to have dedicated
>"Elegy" to him.

Damn!! I THOUGHT he died while they were on (some) tour, but I just
couldn't get it straight in my mind. Thanks for setting the record
straight, Biff.

David Charlap

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

<mist...@aol.com> wrote:

>I don't think Ian was considering breaking up the band so much as taking a
>little time off. _A_ came about initially as a solo project. At some
>point, Ian decided it sounded more like Tull than Ian Anderson solo, and
>announced that it was, in fact, Tull, much to the chagrin of Barrie, John,
>and David Palmer. I think BB and JE are both still kind of bitter over
>this turn of events, IIRC.

I don't know about BB, but WRT JE, I don't think so.

I spoke with John Evans at the most recent Tull convention (in New
York, this past fall) and he didn't sound the least bit bitter. He
said he just didn't want to do that kind of stuff (playing rock music
in a band) anymore. (He's currently not working in music at all.)

According to Ian (in the Tull Lyric book), they parted company because
John wanted to play classical piano and not rock music.

Maybe this is just the 10+ years of time apart blurring the details in
everybody's memory, and maybe it's everybody being nice to each other
in public, but I think there's a lot of truth in these statements as
well.

| is in your database, please remove it immediately. |

Richard Begley

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

mist...@aol.com writes: > In article <32d8623b...@news.capital.net>, eho...@capital.net

> (Emmett Hoops) writes:
>
> >I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
> >can't ask.
> >Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
> >that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
> >band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
> >Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
> >Of what did he die?
>
> He had a heart disease (I don't recall more specifics than that), which
> apparently became serious during the Songs from the Wood tour. While he
> played on the Heavy Horses LP, he played on very few, of the live shows
> supporting that album. (Maybe played on one leg of the tour only? IDR) I
> believe he was hospitalized at that time. Tony Williams completed that
> tour. In fact, on the 20 Years video with the live footage from the HH
> tour,, that's Tony Williams playing. (Isn't he also on at least part of
> Bursting Out, uncredited?)
>
> He was able to make it for some of the SW sessions, but Ian had to
> complete the bass on the recording. Dave Pegg was hired shortly

> thereafter to play for the SW tour and just kind of stuck. I think JG
> died while the album was being recorded. "Elegy" is, of course, written
> for JG. I don't know about SMB.

Actually, "Elegy" is one of the three tracks Glascock played on on Stormwatch -
really startlingly bad taste if it was about him.

> >Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
> >death?

In the 25th Anniversary tour programme there's a quote from Barrie Barlowe -
"Barrie, who had always been the closest to John, described the shock:
'We had one more gig to do - I cried all the way through the gig. I was like a
zombie. In fact, I must have been like a zombie for months and months,
it just hurt so much.'"

Martin Nike

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Biffyshrew (biffy...@aol.com) wrote:
: mist...@aol.com wrote:

: >Dave Pegg was hired shortly

: >thereafter to play for the SW tour and just kind of stuck. I think JG
: >died while the album was being recorded. "Elegy" is, of course, written
: >for JG.

Elegy was written by Palmer for his Father.

--
Martin Nike
Correct Systems Research Group,

Beowulf

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In the "Stormwatch" tour book (which is around here somewhere) Ian
is quoted in depth regarding John Glascock's health problems. If
my memory serves, the story went something like this: John
Glascock had some sort of oral surgery procedure done which,
against all odds, somehow resulted in an infection of his heart.
At the time of this interview, John was still alive and Ian
expressed his hope that he would again join the band.
Unfortunately, John died not long after, I think during or shortly
after open heart surgery. I had read of his demise in "Billboard"
about a month before I saw the SW tour where I picked up the
tourbook.
I was deeply saddened by John Glascock's passing. I'll never
forget the flying leap he took from the stage to the end of the
runway during "Locomotive Breath" during the HH tour in Cincinnati
so many years ago.

Odall

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

I have an 19 year old son who was born with "pulmonary stenosis" (sp?)
Which I beleive is what John Glsacock had. I'm not a medical proressional
but as it has heen explained to me....One of the valves in the heart does
not properly close wheh it is supposed to. The membrain on this valve is
"rough" instead of smooth. The roughness tends to "catch" bacteria and
infection. Penicilin (sp) is a must at least 24 hours before any dental
work. I heard, but can't verify, that Jonn Glascock had some dental work
done sans an antibiotic.

BTW My son was perfectly normal for 18 1/2 years, but has lost 25 lbs in
the last 6 months, and is very listless. So far the Doctors are stumped
but are confident it is related to his pulmonary stenosis.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Paul

...but the tune ends to soon for us all.

xmills

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Re elegy on stormwatch I went to see David Palmer with the London
Philharmonic a couple of years back and he performed a version of Elegy
with lyrics dedicated to his father but to be honest I don't know if the
dedication to his father was due to the newly added words or if elegy had
always been dedicated to him.
Rob

MANONAFISH

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

As I recall it was an eye infection that spread to his heart.

Raymond O. Lentz

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Thankx for this posting. I was reading Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock
and Roll which stated that John Glascock never toured with the band. I
vaguely remember seeing him on the Too Old tour in 1976.

Harry Broker

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

As I recall it was an abscessed tooth which became infected an subsequently
infected a heart valve. This led to open heart surgery which alas was
unsuccessful. Take care of those teeth.

XXOO Harry B.

MANONAFISH <manon...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970116234...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Harry Broker

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Don't know where RS got that load of crap. John Glascock did all the Tull
tours from the time he joined the band until he could no longer perform. At
least all the shows I attended.

XXOO Harry B.

Raymond O. Lentz <tek...@ccia.com> wrote in article
<01bc0422$02d45400$4e5d12cf@tekman>...

Rob Burgess

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

Raymond O. Lentz wrote:

> Thankx for this posting. I was reading Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock
> and Roll which stated that John Glascock never toured with the band. I
> vaguely remember seeing him on the Too Old tour in 1976.

John's appearance on Bursting Out should be enough to confirm the
idiocy of RS's comment.

--
____/|
\'o.O|

b016

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97
RS is top 40 thru & thru; they don't count.

Chaan Muan

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

John died because a tooth abcess somehow (I'm not a doctor) infected a
heart valve which eventually led to his heart failure.

JMclenagan

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

I saw the Songs from the Wood tour in 1977 in Miami, and John Glascock was

certainly on tour with them then.

gregd...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2016, 6:50:17 PM1/27/16
John Glascock was born with a congenital heart valve defect.Played on Too old to R/R, songs from t wood, Bursting out, heavy Horses, and three on Stormwatch.l believe he never missed a tour.Although he missed several gigs.His failure to take medication,a tooth abscess, led to an infected heart valve and subsequent heart attack post surgery.His sacking by Anderson alienated Barlow, and to an extent, the whole band. Andersons solo album gave him a NEW band, and new Tull album.Glascock was one of the most beautiful bassists l have heard, and its not often bass is described as beautiful.

mcge...@gmail.com

May 21, 2016, 10:28:04 PM5/21/16
On Sunday, January 12, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Emmett Hoops wrote:
> I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
> can't ask.
> Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
> that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
> band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
> Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
> Of what did he die?
> Seems to me he was one hell of a good bass player: very, very melodic.
> It's a damn shame he left this stage early, IMHO.
>
> Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
> death?
>
> Emmett

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

May 22, 2016, 3:34:53 AM5/22/16
In article <d89da4d7-0589-48a1...@googlegroups.com>,
mcge...@gmail.com writes:

> On Sunday, January 12, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Emmett Hoops wrote:
> > I know I should know this, but I don't, and I ain't too proud that I
> > can't ask.
> > Glascock died in 1979. He plays on three Stormwatch tracks, but was
> > that out of choice or necessity? Did Ian consider breaking up the
> > band in '79 (as evidenced by the complete change of direction in "A")?
> > Is the song "Slow Marching Band" on BatB an homage to Glascock?
> > Of what did he die?
> > Seems to me he was one hell of a good bass player: very, very melodic.
> > It's a damn shame he left this stage early, IMHO.

He died of heart problems caused by a tooth infection which spread.
(This is not uncommon.) Thus, only 3 tracks were done before he
couldn't play anymore. Ian played on the rest (revealing himself to be
one of the best bassists in rock---just listen to "Dark Ages" or "North
Sea Oil" or, indeed, the entire album.

> > Is anything known about Ian's (and the band's) reaction to John's
> > death?

Read the liner notes to the remastered STORMWATCH.

grun...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2017, 3:46:12 PM1/8/17
He was born with a heart defect, and his lifestyle increased this problem. He was a very heavy drinker, even in his teens and when he was in other bands. He also smoked a fair bit and some drugs may have been involved. He was heavily into the London wild party scene even following his heart surgery and refused to follow medical advice. He died at home in Lambeth, while Tull were touring the US. The day before he had booked a flight to LA to meet with Barrie Barlow, his close friend, to discuss forming a new band with Barlow, David Allen ( former Carmen bandmaster) and Angela Allen ( former bandmate and ex girlfriend). The news of his death the next day was devastating. He was cremated someplace in London.

joebo...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2019, 12:58:50 AM12/17/19
Dont forget John Glascock.
Jethro Tull Bursting Out.
Live in Europe. Ian Anderson. John Glascock. John Evans. David Palmer. Barrymore Barlow. Martin Barre.
Best. JT live album ever.

NO LULLABY.