A Gift of Roses is ...a Christian song?

ZBeltane

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
To whom is "A Gift of Roses" for?

Is Ian simply trying to convey a sense of wonder and miracle by the lryics
numerous allusions to Jesus -or is this song possibly about baptism and
"rebirth"?

The ambiguity in this song reminds me of many of George Harrison's songs -
superficially sung to a woman, yet can also be understood as being directed to
God.

-Z

sdavmor

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
I don't think so, though it is an interesting interpretation. As someone
who traverses many a far horizon on business I make a point of having
something in hand for my boys and my wife when I step off the plane. I
accept the song to be exactly what it purports to be: IA comes home eager
to see his beloved wife, roses (or some other token) in hand. IMO you're
reading way more into it that is there.
--
Cheers
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM)

NP: Jethro Tull "Superstars In Concert " (German FM 1982...BSATB tour
enqueued for the tree in 2000)

Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
Systems Theory: http://survivorsvoice.com/systemstheory/
Check out the new ST tune "Under Oriental Skies" in RA or MP3.

ZBeltane <zbel...@aol.com> wrote in message

Steve Smith

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
ZBeltane wrote:

> To whom is "A Gift of Roses" for?
>
> Is Ian simply trying to convey a sense of wonder and miracle by the lryics
> numerous allusions to Jesus -or is this song possibly about baptism and
> "rebirth"?
>
> The ambiguity in this song reminds me of many of George Harrison's songs -
> superficially sung to a woman, yet can also be understood as being directed to
> God.
>
> -Z

Very interesting - I'll dig out the lyric sheet and see what's up,
interpretation-wise. Thanks.

Steve

Rich

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
I can see both interpretations. However, I'm still convinced that he's
singing to his fans, and singing about touring. I think this is best
demonstrated by his reference to "A Passion Play", the mention of train
travel (one of Ian's favorite modes of transportation - esp. on tour). I
see it as him saying that while we're going to the show to see him and the
band, he and the band are on tour ro see their fans. The gift of roses is a
traditional presentation to the star of a show. Since he has already made
the reversal of us seeing them/them seeing us, for the star of the show to
give a gift of roses to the fans is entirely consistent.

Just my 2 cents.

Rich D

sdavmor <sda...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

> I don't think so, though it is an interesting interpretation. As someone
> who traverses many a far horizon on business I make a point of having
> something in hand for my boys and my wife when I step off the plane. I
> accept the song to be exactly what it purports to be: IA comes home eager
> to see his beloved wife, roses (or some other token) in hand. IMO you're
> reading way more into it that is there.
> --
> Cheers
> Steven Davies-Morris (SDM)
>
> NP: Jethro Tull "Superstars In Concert " (German FM 1982...BSATB tour
> enqueued for the tree in 2000)
>
> Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
> Systems Theory: http://survivorsvoice.com/systemstheory/
> Check out the new ST tune "Under Oriental Skies" in RA or MP3.

TYKAYAKERS

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Definetly, After all we all know that Ians' not a Christain anyway . Even
though it sounded like it in some of the earlier albums. I thought he was a
priest from the way the Aqualung abum sounded. Perhaps a catholic priest? Who
knows ?

I'm confused

Terrapin

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
However, part of the joy of Ian's lyrics are how they are created so a
listener can "read into" them and so they can be interpreted differently.
That is one of his genius that is so enjoyable.

verecom...@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 6:43:59 AM5/19/16
在 1999年9月18日星期六 UTC+8下午3:00:00,ZBeltane写道:
> To whom is "A Gift of Roses" for?
>
> Is Ian simply trying to convey a sense of wonder and miracle by the lryics
> numerous allusions to Jesus -or is this song possibly about baptism and
> "rebirth"?
>
> The ambiguity in this song reminds me of many of George Harrison's songs -
> superficially sung to a woman, yet can also be understood as being directed to
> God.
>
> -Z

That is an amazing song reminds me the day when I get married. It made me feel getting so closely to God.

Verecom Peter
https://www.facebook.com/sharejesusgift

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

May 19, 2016, 9:01:24 AM5/19/16
In article <5e4099fc-afb8-4830...@googlegroups.com>,
verecom...@gmail.com writes:

> > Is Ian simply trying to convey a sense of wonder and miracle by the lryics
> > numerous allusions to Jesus -or is this song possibly about baptism and
> > "rebirth"?
> > The ambiguity in this song reminds me of many of George Harrison's songs
> > superficially sung to a woman, yet can also be understood as being
> > directed to God.

Ditto for Pete Townshend. Well, not God in his case, but Meher Baba.
And of course "My Sweet Lord" is not ambiguous.

It can go the other way as well, of course. John Lennon said that
"Girl" reflects his views on Christianity. (Great backing vocals: "tit
tit tit tit tit tit tit tit"!)

verecom...@gmail.com

May 25, 2016, 5:42:08 AM5/25/16
I really like it! Thank you for sharing this, my bro.

Verecom Peter
https://www.facebook.com/sharejesusgift
San Francisco, CA