SFTW front cover-photo or painting of Anderson?

will...@my-deja.com

Feb 7, 2001, 8:03:27 PM2/7/01
I cant make out if SFTW picture sleeve is a photograph or a painting of
Ian Anderson. Anyone know?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Casey

Feb 7, 2001, 10:44:32 PM2/7/01
will...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I cant make out if SFTW picture sleeve is a photograph or a painting of
> Ian Anderson. Anyone know?

It's a very realistic looking painting.

--

-Casey

Please visit my website at:
Http://www.angelfire.com/mi/nitecap/index.html

pilg...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 9:36:48 AM2/8/01
In article <95sr8q$i5h$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> It is a painting definately,and fooled a lot of fans over the years.

tootull

Feb 8, 2001, 1:19:53 PM2/8/01
Hello:))
For the record:
Front cover painting for Songs From The Wood by JAY L. LEE.

-tootull

will...@my-deja.com wrote:

--
-tootull under one sun! under one moon! under one nom de plume!

Andrew Jackson

Feb 8, 2001, 1:35:45 PM2/8/01

Hi Casey,

I always assumed it was a photograph which had been
painted-over slightly in order to enhance it. Rather effective.

BTW, I don't have a vinyl copy to hand at the moment --
what's the back-cover credit about a 'woodsman' again?
Seems to imply the guy on the front cover isn't Ian,
although it clearly is.

Andy

Casey

Feb 8, 2001, 4:17:09 PM2/8/01
Hi Andy,

The credit I think you refer to is;

Wood-cutter:
KEITH HOWARD

This is confusing, but I don't think it refers to the subject on the
cover painting. As you've written, the fellow on the cover is clearly
Ian..bent pinky and all. Furthermore, the character that Ian depicts is
clearly a hunter who had been out shooting birds. Nary an axe in sight.
Perhaps the 'wood cutter' credit may refer to the person who chopped
down the tree used to create a stump 'model'. After all, the stump is
featured of both front and back covers. I admit it's a stretch, but the
only other explaination that I can come up with is; that the back cover
was done as a wood carving. However, if that were the case, wouldn't the
credit read: wood carver?

The other accreditations(sp?) are;

Back Cover:
SHIRT SLEEVE STUDIO

Front cover painting:
Jay L. Lee

I remember reading or hearing... somewhere, that artist Jay L. Lee
specialized in these types of very photo-like paintings.

I'm not sure why the credits are different from front cover. It's clear
to me that the back cover also contain elements of paint.. albeit very
photo like.

jeronimo...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 3:21:31 AM2/9/01
In article <3a830d9b$0$70810$1dc6...@news.corecomm.net>,

nite...@megsinet.net wrote:
> Front cover painting:
> Jay L. Lee
>
> I remember reading or hearing... somewhere, that artist Jay L. Lee
> specialized in these types of very photo-like paintings.

The poor guy must be out of work since Photoshop.

Jeronimo

Jeff Stone

Feb 9, 2001, 2:16:18 PM2/9/01
In message <3a830d9b$0$70810$1dc6...@news.corecomm.net>
Casey <nite...@megsinet.net> wrote:

> Perhaps the 'wood cutter' credit may refer to the person who chopped
> down the tree used to create a stump 'model'. After all, the stump is
> featured of both front and back covers. I admit it's a stretch, but the
> only other explaination that I can come up with is; that the back cover
> was done as a wood carving. However, if that were the case, wouldn't the
> credit read: wood carver?

Could he be the guy who cut/carved the record grooves on the stump?

--
je...@ianstone.freeserve.co.uk

Andrew Jackson

Feb 9, 2001, 6:39:09 PM2/9/01

Hi Casey,

Yeah, it's a puzzle . . .

>only other explaination that I can come up with is; that the back cover was
done as a wood carving<

Nope, not in this case -- not in terms of artwork anyway
(although perhaps as an act of labour . . .) since wood-cuts
would take us back to the front cover of Stand Up.
Would be strange if he gave a credit to the guy who
chopped the tree which appears on the back cover . . . !
Dunno . . .

>I remember reading or hearing... somewhere, that artist Jay L. Lee
specialized in these types of very photo-like paintings.<

I'll see what I can find on Mr / Ms Lee in the meantime . . . .
sounds like a made-up name to me, somehow . . . anyone
else know anything about this person?

>the back cover also contain elements of paint.. albeit very
photo like.<

Same deal as the front cover I think . . .

>Wood-cutter:
KEITH HOWARD<

Which, of course, is an obscure reference to Frankie Howerd!

Titter ye not.

Andy

LeeAnn5ft

Feb 10, 2001, 7:36:53 AM2/10/01
I think it's a photograph that's been touched up by an air brush, made to make
it look like a painting.

I also think Keith Howard, is just the guy who chopped down the tree for the
photo shoot.

Yet, on the other hand, I'm also inclined to think that "Shirt Sleeve Studio"
could may well be a fictitious product from Mr. Gerald Bostock's active
imagination. Or Not. ;-)

That's what I think. What do I know? Well... very little.

Care?

Panglos

Feb 10, 2001, 8:10:13 AM2/10/01
Greetings, LeeAnn. How very nice to hear from you again.

Seems the reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated, no?

Not only are we "old-timer clique-members" still posting,
why, even the good-looking (if occasionally diminuitive)
females apparently haven't all been chased away.

Bet w hates when that happens.

Best,

Pedro

Ben Malone

Feb 10, 2001, 2:26:25 PM2/10/01

"LeeAnn5ft" <leea...@aol.com> wrote in message

> That's what I think. What do I know? Well... very little.

"Little"?

> Care?

No.

Casey

Feb 11, 2001, 5:23:39 AM2/11/01
Andrew Jackson wrote:

> Hi Casey,
>
> Yeah, it's a puzzle . . .
>
> >only other explaination that I can come up with is; that the back cover was
> done as a wood carving<
>
> Nope, not in this case -- not in terms of artwork anyway
> (although perhaps as an act of labour . . .) since wood-cuts
> would take us back to the front cover of Stand Up.
> Would be strange if he gave a credit to the guy who
> chopped the tree which appears on the back cover . . . !
> Dunno . . .

Hey, I claimed it was a stretch! :)

> >I remember reading or hearing... somewhere, that artist Jay L. Lee
> specialized in these types of very photo-like paintings.<
>
> I'll see what I can find on Mr / Ms Lee in the meantime . . . .
> sounds like a made-up name to me, somehow . . . anyone
> else know anything about this person?

I don't want to paint myself into a corner on this one. I'll freely
admit that I don't know diddly about the art of drawing. However, I'm
fairly certain that the question was posed to Ian in an interview or
perchance during an online chat. At any rate, it was Ian that had
answered the question about the SFTW album cover. Although, I suppose
that in and of itself might be 'Reason For..Suspicion'.

> >the back cover also contain elements of paint.. albeit very
> photo like.<
>
> Same deal as the front cover I think . . .

At the risk of going out on a limb, that's what I meant to
convey...albeit awkwardly.

> >Wood-cutter:
> KEITH HOWARD<
>
> Which, of course, is an obscure reference to Frankie Howerd!

You lost me there... Is this a 'Frankie Goes to Hollywood' reference?

> Titter ye not.

So say ye, but don't yank my chain say I.

Casey

Feb 11, 2001, 5:27:29 AM2/11/01
jeronimo...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <3a830d9b$0$70810$1dc6...@news.corecomm.net>,
> nite...@megsinet.net wrote:
> > Front cover painting:
> > Jay L. Lee
> >
> > I remember reading or hearing... somewhere, that artist Jay L. Lee
> > specialized in these types of very photo-like paintings.
>
> The poor guy must be out of work since Photoshop.

Talk about irony. Good point!

Casey

Feb 11, 2001, 5:31:34 AM2/11/01
LeeAnn5ft wrote:

> I think it's a photograph that's been touched up by an air brush, made to make
> it look like a painting.

FWIW, that's what I initially thought too.

Andrew Jackson

Feb 11, 2001, 12:40:37 PM2/11/01

Hi Casey,

> >Wood-cutter:
> KEITH HOWARD<
>
> Which, of course, is an obscure reference to Frankie Howerd!<

Sorry, this was a rather weak joke for the Brits on the list,
attempted after half a dozen beers . . . Frankie Howerd
was a comic film actor. Ever seen 'Up Pompeii'? Some
of the 'Carry On . .' films? Camp as a row of tents, bad
hair-piece.

Think it was in my mind after discussing the possibility of
Donald Pleasance playing Lucifer in the proposed
War Child film -- apparently this is who Ian had in mind
for the part. As suggested by the PP booklet --

Lucy (played by) Ronald Pleasant

Andy -- abashed

LeeAnn5ft

Feb 11, 2001, 6:19:18 PM2/11/01
<<Greetings, LeeAnn. How very nice to hear from you again.

Seems the reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated, no?>>

Hah... yes along with everything else that has been greatly exaggerated around
here.

I'm still around. And if my presence aggravates little w, good for me.

Nice to see your shining signature, and thank you for the warm welcome.

jonbe...@gmail.com

May 14, 2018, 6:27:21 PM5/14/18
A have the one remaster of SFTW (would LOVE to have it on vinyl) and at first I was like "what the hell? they added a PhotoShop filter to the cover photo". This is something I noticed only one day after having the CD awhile and giving it a really close look. But them upon further digging it seemed even old copies had this 'paint effect' and it was like that all along. Probably a photo with paint added, or a hyper-real painting. But it's enough to fool the eye from a distance. Personally I think just a photo cover would have looked best, but cool cover overall.

As for the other comments referring to the 'Wood-cutter' credit to Keith Howard, I'm guessing it could be one of many things:
-A pseudonym Ian Anderson used
-The person who chopped the tree down for the back cover stump photo (as others said). Maybe also the one who helped Ian shoot the game birds, start the fire etc. for the front cover. Someone who is a wood-cutter could also have other woodsy skills besides just choppin' trees.
-Maybe there are recorded 'wood chops' in the music? There's a lot of lush production in many ways with tons of things going on.