Was Matt Johnson fired????

AVav1

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
I am just wondering why Matt Johnson was replaced by Parker Kindred in early
1997....

anyone knoe??

anthony
"my fading voice sings, of love"
-jeff buckley

Carole

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
no he went to work with Beth Orton.
No idea why personal choice I suppose
--
**Carole**
EMAIL IS ANTI_SPAMMED

"AVav1" <av...@aol.com> wrote in message
: Hi,

garethb

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
mmm not sure he went to beth orton straigt from jb. i have read they fell
out but dont know why. CANNOT have been because of his talent - he's the
best drummer i've ever heard.

friend of mine has a sister who lives in NYC. she's a musician and jammed
with matt on bongos once. they talked about jeff (after he had died) and he
became very upset - i'm pretty sure he didnt leave of his own accord.

Carole <caroleTHEVE...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Steven Wheeler

Sep 25, 2000, 6:39:33 PM9/25/00

garethb wrote:

> mmm not sure he went to beth orton straigt from jb. i have read they fell
> out but dont know why. CANNOT have been because of his talent - he's the
> best drummer i've ever heard.

Great musician... saw him at the Big Day Out this year with Beth Orton and
a few years back with Jeff. The sort of drummer you would kill to have in
your band. That light touch and sense of space.

On the last gig of the Australian tour prior to Matt's depature, Jeff
apparently announced his departure and said something like "I hope it
wasn't something I said" during the gig.

One of my housemates bears a striking resemblance to Matt actually.
Bizarre trivia for the day. ;-)

See ya,

Steve.

Lambchops

Sep 25, 2000, 8:11:42 PM9/25/00
I heard a rumour that it was due to heroin....not sure if this was true. I
also thought he was a very good drummer.

Steven Wheeler

Sep 25, 2000, 8:40:05 PM9/25/00

Lambchops wrote:

> I heard a rumour that it was due to heroin....not sure if this was true. I
> also thought he was a very good drummer.

Erk, that's an ugly rumour. When I saw Matt with Beth at the BDO this year
he was out in the crowd dancing along with the band that followed them on
that stage, Ozomatli. Looked like a pretty clean cut happy sorta guy.

See ya,

Steve.

Rachel F

Sep 25, 2000, 9:30:01 PM9/25/00
He's hot!! And was very nice when I met him...mmmm!

"Steven Wheeler" <Steven....@adm.monash.edu.au> wrote in message

AVav1

Sep 25, 2000, 11:03:19 PM9/25/00
when i saw the jeff tribute back in the summer, matt was there, He was
announced by Jeff's mom at the tribute, but stayed backstage and never came
out...
i was just wondering on what terms they left...

av

Vincent Dijkema

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
Somewhere I read that the problable reason for him leaving the band was that
he couldn't stand MG.
I'm not sure where I read that, probably in some Dutch magazine or paper
(Volkskrant, OOR?)

Vinz
"AVav1" <av...@aol.com> schreef in bericht

Carole

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
it would seem strange for him to be at a tribute with MG even if he stayed
backstage if he disliked her! I have never read about them not getting on
and really - would he leave the band just cos he didnt like the boss's
mother?

so it was a case of they took heroin, fell out with Mary and Jeff said
something to upset him so he left .... LOL! ( stranger things have happened
I suppose) maybe he got sick of the sight of Jeffs arse all the time WHO
KNOWS?
Matty if you're reading tell us!! Before anymore ugly rumours start...

perhaps it was just the old adage of "artistic differences"
--

"Vincent Dijkema" <vincent...@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
: Somewhere I read that the problable reason for him leaving the band was

:
:

gay...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Matt Johnson left Jeff's band in early 1996, at the last Australian show
(which somebody quoted in this thread). Eric Eidel was Jeff's next
(known) drummer. Parker joined Jeff's band only a few months before
Jeff's death.

gayle

In article <20000925105141...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

av...@aol.com (AVav1) wrote:
> Hi,
> I am just wondering why Matt Johnson was replaced by Parker Kindred in
early
> 1997....
>
> anyone knoe??
>
> anthony

> "my fading voice sings, of love"
> -jeff buckley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

gay...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Beth Orton wasn't until about a year and a half after Jeff died. As far
as I know and what I've heard through interviews I've conducted, Matt
did not quit Jeff's band to go work with another musician.

Matt worked with -- and continues to work with -- several people
concurrently after Jeff's death. The first "notable" recording was with
Duncan Sheik. Beth Orton was after Duncan Sheik.

Gayle

In article <zNNz5.3491$Bw1....@news.indigo.ie>,

"Carole" <caroleTHEVE...@eircom.net> wrote:
> no he went to work with Beth Orton.
> No idea why personal choice I suppose

> --
> **Carole**
> EMAIL IS ANTI_SPAMMED
> please remove THEVEGETARIAN to reply
>

> "AVav1" <av...@aol.com> wrote in message

> : Hi,

gay...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Matt left Jeff's band because he wanted and needed to leave the band at
that time. Just because it was of Matt's own accord doesn't mean that
Matt can't be sad about Jeff.

Gayle

In article <x1Oz5.11067$6b2.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,

"garethb" <gareth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> mmm not sure he went to beth orton straigt from jb. i have read they
fell
> out but dont know why. CANNOT have been because of his talent - he's
the
> best drummer i've ever heard.
>

> friend of mine has a sister who lives in NYC. she's a musician and
jammed
> with matt on bongos once. they talked about jeff (after he had died)
and he
> became very upset - i'm pretty sure he didnt leave of his own accord.

gay...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Due to whose use of heroin? Please clarify.

Gayle

In article <2RRz5.292602$1h3.6...@news20.bellglobal.com>,

gay...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

The amount of conjecture about Matt's leaving Jeff's band is simply
astounding.

MARY WAS NOT PART OF JEFF'S CREATIVE WORK AT THE TIME THAT MATT LEFT
JEFF'S BAND.

Gayle

In article <qG5A5.5697$tL4.118678@zonnet-reader-1>,

"Vincent Dijkema" <vincent...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Somewhere I read that the problable reason for him leaving the band
was that
> he couldn't stand MG.
> I'm not sure where I read that, probably in some Dutch magazine or
paper
> (Volkskrant, OOR?)
>

> Vinz
> "AVav1" <av...@aol.com> schreef in bericht

AVav1

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
I thought the MG Vincent was reffering to was Mick Grundal...
That makes more sense that him quitting cause of Jeff's mom...

lol

Soundgarfield

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

<gay...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qr2o5$ep6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Eric Eidel was Jeff's next
> (known) drummer.

say no MORE! *nudge nudge wink wink*

Steven Wheeler

Sep 26, 2000, 6:14:40 PM9/26/00

:-)

Post of the day!

See ya,

Steve.

Steven Wheeler

Sep 26, 2000, 6:18:27 PM9/26/00

gay...@my-deja.com wrote:

> The amount of conjecture about Matt's leaving Jeff's band is simply
> astounding.

Unfortunately this is the way rumours either start or are propagated.

Also correct on the point that he worked with Duncan Sheik prior to
Beth Orton.

> MARY WAS NOT PART OF JEFF'S CREATIVE WORK AT THE TIME THAT MATT LEFT
> JEFF'S BAND.

Thanks for the caps Gayle... agenda anyone?

Others have suggested the MG referred to was Grondahl anyway.

Since his death MG (not Grondahl) has been involved in creative work
though... _creating_ a role for herself.

See ya,

Steve.

Fender

Sep 26, 2000, 7:28:56 PM9/26/00
how stupid ! ;o) I can't stand my girlfriend's mother but i won't leave her
for that !!!!!! They even didn't see MG that often !!! How can you believe
that ?????

Carole

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
ooops yes makes sense that. sorry. shoot me.

2 days of just water -following massive alcholic intake - obviously taking
effect of my senses.

DERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

: I thought the MG Vincent was reffering to was Mick Grundal...

Carole

Fender

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
oh, yes it's more possible that it was mick, but would like to hear the real
thing instead of those rumours....

Fender

Fender <fen...@club-internet.fr> a écrit dans le message :
8qral1$fc4$1...@front4m.grolier.fr...

Vincent Dijkema

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
nono, I meant Mary Guibert, but I found the article and it says that Mary
wanted to have all power over Jeff's work (after he had died ofcourse),
partly because her artistic career never took flight.
and then it says that it says enough that Matt doesn't want to have
anything to do with her. (from the Volkskrant 11 May 2000)

So I was wrong, I guess this has nothing to do with the situation in 1997,
SOrry.........

Vinz
"AVav1" <av...@aol.com> schreef in bericht

> I thought the MG Vincent was reffering to was Mick Grundal...
> That makes more sense that him quitting cause of Jeff's mom...
>
> lol

Denise Skiba

Sep 30, 2000, 10:30:41 PM9/30/00
I talked to Matt after a Beth Orton in Detroit and asked him this very
question. He said he left because of "drug use" within the band... being
the gentlemen he is, he didn't specify who exactly was to blame for the
abuse. Really doesn't matter though does it!! I don't think this is the
"only" reason he left -who knows what someone goes through unless you walk
in their shoes.

<gay...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qr2vm$f41$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Matt left Jeff's band because he wanted and needed to leave the band at
> that time. Just because it was of Matt's own accord doesn't mean that
> Matt can't be sad about Jeff.
>
> Gayle
>

> In article <x1Oz5.11067$6b2.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
> "garethb" <gareth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > mmm not sure he went to beth orton straigt from jb. i have read they
> fell
> > out but dont know why. CANNOT have been because of his talent - he's
> the
> > best drummer i've ever heard.
> >
> > friend of mine has a sister who lives in NYC. she's a musician and
> jammed
> > with matt on bongos once. they talked about jeff (after he had died)
> and he
> > became very upset - i'm pretty sure he didnt leave of his own accord.
> >
> > Carole <caroleTHEVE...@eircom.net> wrote in message
> > > no he went to work with Beth Orton.
> > > No idea why personal choice I suppose
> > > --
> > > **Carole**
> > > EMAIL IS ANTI_SPAMMED
> > > please remove THEVEGETARIAN to reply
> > >

> > > "AVav1" <av...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > > : Hi,
> > > : I am just wondering why Matt Johnson was replaced by Parker
> Kindred in
> > > early
> > > : 1997....
> > > :
> > > : anyone knoe??
> > > :
> > > : anthony

> > > : "my fading voice sings, of love"
> > > : -jeff buckley

Bernard Wilson

Oct 11, 2000, 12:31:25 AM10/11/00
mick grondahl silly

> it would seem strange for him to be at a tribute with MG even if he stayed
> backstage if he disliked her! I have never read about them not getting on
> and really - would he leave the band just cos he didnt like the boss's
> mother?
>
> so it was a case of they took heroin, fell out with Mary and Jeff said
> something to upset him so he left .... LOL! ( stranger things have
happened
> I suppose) maybe he got sick of the sight of Jeffs arse all the time WHO
> KNOWS?
> Matty if you're reading tell us!! Before anymore ugly rumours start...
>
> perhaps it was just the old adage of "artistic differences"

> --
> **Carole**
>
> EMAIL IS ANTI_SPAMMED
> please remove THEVEGETARIAN to reply

Carole

Oct 11, 2000, 2:58:33 AM10/11/00
errr yehhh we had been through all that I admitted what a plonker I
am!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY AM GOING NOW!!!

"Bernard Wilson" <spar...@ozemail.com.au@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
: mick grondahl silly

: > :
: >
: >
:
:

gordon...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2015, 1:40:13 AM12/17/15
On Monday, September 25, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, AVav1 wrote:
> Hi,
> I am just wondering why Matt Johnson was replaced by Parker Kindred in early
> 1997....
>
> anyone knoe??
>
> anthony
> "my fading voice sings, of love"
> -jeff buckley

Matt leaving the band was a bad omen for Jeff.