Mark Morris Dance Group/Yo-Yo Ma/ Baryshnikov in Boston

Victor Eijkhout

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Meridian <Merid...@aol.com> writes:

> > World renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma and modern dance choreographer Mark
> > Morris collaborate to explore the complex roots of the creative process
> > through interpretation of Bach’s Suite for Unaccompanied Cello. Using
> > Bach’s third suite as inspiration, the Mark Morris Dance Group,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr. Ma has released his most recent take on the Cello Suites
as a 2-CD "Inspired by Bach". While I love the music (I know own
*both* of Ma's recordings, plus the Bijlsma, Rostropovich, & Casals ones :-)
I hate the title. I take it as a sign of the decline of civilisation
that a piece of absolute music can only be apreciated as a soundtrack
for some visuals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Mr. Morris does a fine job, it's just
that I'm sad his work is needed at all to bring Bach to the plebs.

--
Victor Eijkhout
"[A] man was excluded from the jury after asking the judge to tell him the

al...@rev.net

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
How many Morris dances did Bach compose?

--Spud DuBoise
____
Music of Sasa Quixote now at <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/music/sq.html>

Jack Wright

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <79u2m1$s72$4...@news1-alterdial.uu.net>, al...@rev.net says...

None, of course. Mark Morris choreographed a work to be performed to Yo-
Yo Ma's live performance of Bach's 3rd Suite for Unaccompanied Cello.
The piece is called Falling Down Stairs and was filmed for a movie of the
same name.

--
Jack Wright
BankBoston Celebrity Series

ride...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 1:26:14 AM8/15/17
On Tuesday, February 16, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jack Wright wrote:
> In article <79u2m1$s72$4...@news1-alterdial.uu.net>, al...@rev.net says...
> > How many Morris dances did Bach compose?

> None, of course. Mark Morris choreographed a work to be performed to Yo-
> Yo Ma's live performance of Bach's 3rd Suite for Unaccompanied Cello.
> The piece is called Falling Down Stairs and was filmed for a movie of the
> same name.

I see. Did the Mock Morris Dance Group choreograph for the music of Gustav Holst?

--Buck Stark <https://www.dialup4less.com/~aloe/skinnydip/#song>