Bach's Cantatas: your favourite top 10

carlos

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Hi,

I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
them a lot.
I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.

Thank you

Carlos

Jim Michmerhuizen

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

>Hi,

Hoo boy, an irresistible challenge. Here goes:

BWV 39 "Brich dem Hungrigen dein Brot"
BWV 50 "Nun ist das Heil"
BWV 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
BWV 79 "Gott der Herr is Sonn' und Schild"
BWV 140 "Wachet Auf"
BWV 54 "Widerstehe doch der Suende"
BWV 106 "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"
Regards
Jim Michmerhuizen jam...@world.std.com
The Residence is at http://world.std.com/~jamzen/

Tom

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Jim Michmerhuizen (jam...@world.std.com) wrote:
: carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

: >I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved

: >them a lot.
: >I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
: >of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.

: Hoo boy, an irresistible challenge. Here goes:

: BWV 39 "Brich dem Hungrigen dein Brot"
: BWV 50 "Nun ist das Heil"
: BWV 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
: BWV 79 "Gott der Herr is Sonn' und Schild"
: BWV 140 "Wachet Auf"
: BWV 54 "Widerstehe doch der Suende"
: BWV 106 "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"

Glad you left room for 3 more, Jim. I'd like to add:
BWV 4 "Christ lag in Todesbanden"
BWV 26 "Ach wie fluechtig, ach wie nichtig!"

Anyone for #10?

Tom Parsons
t...@panix.com | Jocks get old;
| nerds get smart.
http://www.panix.com/~twp | --Tom Clancy

Don Patterson

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Tom wrote:

> Jim Michmerhuizen (jam...@world.std.com) wrote:
> : carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> writes:
>
> : >I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
> : >them a lot.
> : >I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> : >of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.
>
> : Hoo boy, an irresistible challenge. Here goes:
>
> : BWV 39 "Brich dem Hungrigen dein Brot"
> : BWV 50 "Nun ist das Heil"
> : BWV 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
> : BWV 79 "Gott der Herr is Sonn' und Schild"
> : BWV 140 "Wachet Auf"
> : BWV 54 "Widerstehe doch der Suende"
> : BWV 106 "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"
>
> Glad you left room for 3 more, Jim. I'd like to add:
> BWV 4 "Christ lag in Todesbanden"
> BWV 26 "Ach wie fluechtig, ach wie nichtig!"
>
> Anyone for #10?
>
> Tom Parsons

BWV 61 "Nun komm der heiden Heilen"

--
Don Patterson <don...@erols.com>
"The President's Own"

The views expressed are my own and in no way reflect
those of the U.S. Marine Band or the Marine Corps.

John E. Prussing

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

t...@panix.com (Tom) writes:

>Jim Michmerhuizen (jam...@world.std.com) wrote:
>: carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

>: >I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
>: >them a lot.
>: >I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
>: >of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.

>: Hoo boy, an irresistible challenge. Here goes:

>: BWV 39 "Brich dem Hungrigen dein Brot"
>: BWV 50 "Nun ist das Heil"
>: BWV 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
>: BWV 79 "Gott der Herr is Sonn' und Schild"
>: BWV 140 "Wachet Auf"
>: BWV 54 "Widerstehe doch der Suende"
>: BWV 106 "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"

>Glad you left room for 3 more, Jim. I'd like to add:
> BWV 4 "Christ lag in Todesbanden"
> BWV 26 "Ach wie fluechtig, ach wie nichtig!"

>Anyone for #10?

I'll offer #78: "Jesu, der du meine Seele".

>Tom Parsons
>--
>--
>t...@panix.com | Jocks get old;
> | nerds get smart.
>http://www.panix.com/~twp | --Tom Clancy

But for a single individual the saying goes: we get too soon old and
too late smart (translated from the German).

http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/prussing
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
John E. Prussing

Sylvio Tabor

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

> : >I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> : >of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.

The ones I like very much (with excerpts from the liner notes):

BWV 5 Wo soll ich fliehen hin
(esp. the aria 'Ergiesse dich reichlich' wich is "dominated
by the flowing motion depicting the 'divine spring'")
BWV 19 Es erhub sich ein Streit
(magnificent opening chorus, fine oboe d'amore in the first
aria, trumpet playing a hymn melody during the tenor aria,
ceremonial final chorus)
BWV 21 Ich hatte viel Bekuemmernis
(for sader days ;-(
BWV 51 Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen
BWV 52 Falsche Welt, dir trau ich nicht
(using the first mvmt of Brdbg Concerto # 1)

BWV 56 Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen

("introductory aria is exceedingly impressive in the con-
trast of the musical symbols to the consoling rocking
melody of the second section. The subsequent accompagnato
depicts the allegorical "Schiffahrt" (sea journey) of
human life nad the arrival in port with sober forcefulness."
The second aria comes along with a joyful oboe on a dance
rhythm.)
BWV 90 Es reissest euch ein schrecklich Ende
(to get me up in the morning :-)
(dramatically, "persistence circles around D minor and G minor,
which in the two chief arias depict the text's emotions in
a highly drastic fashion: the 'snatching', terrible end
and the sinfulness of man invehement coloraturas,
chromatic runs, torn-off phrases [...], grandiose war-
music, built up on signal motifs, with concertante trumpet.)
BWV 147 Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben
(very well known is the choral "Jesu bleibet meine Freude")

secular cantatas:
BWV 211 Schweiget stille, plaudert nicht ("Coffee-Cantata")
BWV 212 Mer hahn en neue Oberkeet ("Pleasant-Cantata")

--
Sylvio

Jos Hofman

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

--
<mailto: ji...@unviversal.nl>

"Just discovered the earth is flat after all..."

Andrew Block

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

It's the first time since I've been checking out alt.music.j-s-bach
that I've seen anyone mention the Coffee Cantata (BWV 211). I recently
picked up a good recording of it by Les Violines du Roy, on the Dorian
label. The playing is done on modern instruments, with period bows,
and the soloists are very good. Overall, I think it's a great Bach
"sound."

Additionally, there were some interesting liner notes regarding Bach's
secular cantatas as relatively neglected works among academic and
scholarly circles. The booklet stated that while many feel that Bach's
secular cantatas belong to a "lower" genre, few consider Mozart's
operas as being inferior to his other compositions... which seems like
a somewhat valid observation.

Also, I enjoyed portions of the text, especially the line: "If I don't
have my three [cups] of coffee each day, I feel like a dried-up piece
of roasted goat" (or something like that).

setterlund john s

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

On 7 Jan 1997, Tom wrote:

> Jim Michmerhuizen (jam...@world.std.com) wrote:
> : carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> writes:
>

> : >I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved

> : >them a lot.
> : >I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> : >of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.
>

> : Hoo boy, an irresistible challenge. Here goes:
>
> : BWV 39 "Brich dem Hungrigen dein Brot"
> : BWV 50 "Nun ist das Heil"
> : BWV 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
> : BWV 79 "Gott der Herr is Sonn' und Schild"
> : BWV 140 "Wachet Auf"
> : BWV 54 "Widerstehe doch der Suende"
> : BWV 106 "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"
>
> Glad you left room for 3 more, Jim. I'd like to add:
> BWV 4 "Christ lag in Todesbanden"
> BWV 26 "Ach wie fluechtig, ach wie nichtig!"
>
> Anyone for #10?
>

> Tom Parsons
> --
> --
> t...@panix.com | Jocks get old;
> | nerds get smart.
> http://www.panix.com/~twp | --Tom Clancy

Still my very favorite: BWV 80 "Eine feste Burg ist unser Gott" --JSS

Arthur Ness

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

BWV 8 _Liebster Gott, wann werd' ich sterben_

--
Arthur Ness

Jim Michmerhuizen

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Arthur Ness <7116...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>BWV 8 _Liebster Gott, wann werd' ich sterben_

YES!! How could I have omitted that one. And some of the others that
people reminded me of... 19, 80, 78, ---

EDS PHI Account Team

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Andrew Block <blo...@uwec.edu> wrote:

stuff deleted!

>Additionally, there were some interesting liner notes regarding Bach's
>secular cantatas as relatively neglected works among academic and
>scholarly circles. The booklet stated that while many feel that Bach's
>secular cantatas belong to a "lower" genre, few consider Mozart's
>operas as being inferior to his other compositions... which seems like
>a somewhat valid observation.

I think the main reason scholars have somewhat "neglected" the secular
cantatas is that Spitta didn't like them as much as the Church cantatas.
His mamoth tome on Bach is the point of departure for all current Bach
scholars. Also, Bach's music is so etherial is almost seems sacriledge
to put his music to a mere secular text! However, I do think his secular
cantatas are very enjoyable. I highly recommend them.

>Also, I enjoyed portions of the text, especially the line: "If I don't
>have my three [cups] of coffee each day, I feel like a dried-up piece
>of roasted goat" (or something like that).

My favorite quote tranlates approximately: Our children give us one
hundred thousand headaches!

My own editorial comments:
Much of the music is taken from other places like popular songs, ect.
For example, the final bass aria first appeared in BVW 201 - Pheobus and
Pan. This was Pan's feeble attempt to match the god Appollo in music. In
the Coffee cantata it was the farm boy singing something refined from the
city. The joke from one cantata became the highlite of the second! There
is a lot of interesting history behind these two works.

EDS PHI Account Team

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

EDS PHI Account Team <eds...@linknet.net> wrote:
>Andrew Block <blo...@uwec.edu> wrote:
>>
>stuff deleted!
>>Additionally, there were some interesting liner notes regarding Bach's
>>secular cantatas as relatively neglected works among academic and
>>scholarly circles. The booklet stated that while many feel that Bach's
>>secular cantatas belong to a "lower" genre, few consider Mozart's
>>operas as being inferior to his other compositions... which seems like
>>a somewhat valid observation.
>>

>I think the main reason scholars have somewhat "neglected" the secular
>cantatas is that Spitta didn't like them as much as the Church cantatas.
>His mamoth tome on Bach is the point of departure for all current Bach
>scholars. Also, Bach's music is so etherial is almost seems sacriledge
>to put his music to a mere secular text! However, I do think his secular
>

>My own editorial comments:
>Much of the music is taken from other places like popular songs, ect.
>For example, the final bass aria first appeared in BVW 201 - Pheobus and
>Pan. This was Pan's feeble attempt to match the god Appollo in music. In
>the Coffee cantata it was the farm boy singing something refined from the
>city. The joke from one cantata became the highlite of the second! There
>is a lot of interesting history behind these two works.

I am in the embarrassing position of correcting my own post. The bass
aria is actually in the Peasant Cantata. I confused the two. My only
defense is they are usually on the same CD. It can be a difficult task
remembering all the works and the parody sources! I won't shoot from the
hip in the future.

Sorry!

Ken Nielsen

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

The Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, under Ton Koopman, performs a set of the
Cantatas in several cities in Europe before recording them.
The next concerts are in April
Details are on the ABO web site
http://www.rem.nl/abo/
Ken Nielsen
Sydney Australia
who will be at the Amsterdam and Birmingham concerts

EDS PHI Account Team

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Ton Koopman is planning a complete cycle of the cantatas for CD. I have
the current three volumes. There are fantastic! I can't speak highly
enough of them. I think this cycle will become the defacto standard
when complete. Unless, he starts to rush things and cranks out a couple
of quick volumes. I can only wait and hope!

EDS PHI Account Team

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

ji...@universal.nl (Jos Hofman) wrote:
>carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>> I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
>> them a lot.
>> I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
>> of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.
>
>not having heard all so far:
>
>106 "Gottes Zeit (Actus tragicus)"
>021 "Ich hätte viel Bekummernis"
>008 "Liebster Gott, wenn wer ich sterben"
>061 "Nun komm der Heiden Heiland"
>056 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
>082 "Ich habe genug"
>131 "Aus der tiefen"
>105 "Herr, gehe nicht ins gericht"

stuff deleted!
Your list is good, but .....
How could you leave off BVW 140 "Wachet Auf, ruft uns die Stimme"?
This is one of Bach's most famous cantatas. I highly recommend it along
with 1, 4, 11, 51, 67, 78, 80 ( "A mighty fortress"), 180, 198
(trauerode). I love the Cantatas!! I think a top 50 list would be more
appropriate!

Simon Crouch has an excellent web page ( no charge! ). Check it out at:
www.classical.net/misc/comp.lst/bachjs

It rates all the Cantatas and gives analysis on each. There are only a
few he hasn't completed the comments on.

Jos Hofman

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

carlos <k...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
> them a lot.
> I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.

not having heard all so far:

106 "Gottes Zeit (Actus tragicus)"
021 "Ich hätte viel Bekummernis"
008 "Liebster Gott, wenn wer ich sterben"
061 "Nun komm der Heiden Heiland"
056 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen"
082 "Ich habe genug"
131 "Aus der tiefen"
105 "Herr, gehe nicht ins gericht"

Favourite arias from cantatas, passions and oratoria
"Ich wünste mir den Tod" (057)
"Wir eilen mit schwachen, doch ernsigen Schritten" (078)
"Sanfte soll mein Todeskummer" (Easter Oratorium)
"Es ist vollbracht" (St.John's Passion)
"Mache dich, mein Herze rein" (St. Matthew's Passion)
"Ach, bleibe doch" (Ascension Oratorium)
"Seufzer, Tränen" (021)

Eric Schissel

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Hi- I'd just like to say the Bach Cantatas I've been most affected by have
included but not been limited to 8, 14 and one whose number I cannot
remember offhand (but whose final chorus, which occurs at the end of each
of the 2 big parts and is in D major, goes A D E F#EDEF#GF#GA D C# B A G
F# G F# - B A G F# E D E D - G F# E D Cnatural B C B C# D C# D...
does anyone recognize this? My notation skills are pretty sucky...)

-Eric Schissel

kirich...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2019, 5:04:37 PM3/24/19
El lunes, 6 de enero de 1997, 2:00:00 (UTC-6), carlos escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
> them a lot.
> I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.
>
> Thank you
>
> Carlos

Hola!Espero les gusten tanto como a mi!
BWV 3
BWV 8
BWV 36
BWV 41
BWV 54
BWV 95
BWV 106
BWV 182
BWV 196
BWV 202

cantic...@hotmail.com

Mar 25, 2019, 4:52:43 AM3/25/19
Op maandag 6 januari 1997 09:00:00 UTC+1 schreef carlos:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard some (about 20) of Bach's Cantatas and I loved
> them a lot.
> I wonder whether someone could give me his personal choice
> of Bach's cantatas. For instance his top 10.
>
> Thank you
>
> Carlos

For ever the very best one: 127.

Kees van den Doel