Backup Exec Physical Volume Library Media Not Found

Georgeanna Cagney

Dec 4, 2023, 12:15:40 PM12/4/23
This issue occurs because Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available is selected in the Backup Job Properties dialog box and you put new Tapes. Because in symantect backup exec 2010:
Blank media and Scratch media are not considered appendable media. A media must already contain at least one backup set to be considered appendable.

Backup Exec Physical Volume Library Media Not Found
Download Zip https://t.co/Y5PjW9cyeE

My Issue:
I can see the tape library (media changer) and drives in Device Manager on the GUEST system. Symantec Backup Exec sees the tape library and drives as well. I have successfully initialized and scanned the tape library through Backup Exec. Upon issuing an inventory, catalogue or backup job however the robot loads a tape into the tape drive and the drive spins up and begins to read, immediately following this the job fails with the error that the library reported a physical problem (robot stuck or tape library offline) and sets the library and drives to offline.

Do you see correct library on the backup exec software? Did you turn on live migration on this backup server. If you so please turn of live migration for backup server and test again. Do you have any fibre channel connectivity issue with Hyper-v Host and Tape Library. run firmware update on all hosts. Make sure host itself see the tape library before guest can see the library. Update backup exec to latest. Install tape library driver into guest OS. Make sure tape isnt locked. Manually run an inventory from the administrative console of tape library and check tape are discovered correctly. I ran into same problem as you experiencing now. My tape was locked and stuck into tape. I had to update the firmware of tape library and reboot twice to make it work. Good luck.

Tape is definitely not locked, have tried SONY, HP and Tandberg tapes and found none were successful. Tested on a separate physical server by restoring the GUEST onto the physical machine and re-tested over fiber connection and was able to run backups and inventory successfully using both HP and Symantec Drivers.

Physical Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 Standard server. Acts as a dedicated media server for Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3. When performing a system state backup of this media server, the job fails with a VSS error. I have attempted to run the system state backup with Microsoft's backup utility. It also fails. I have a 6 TB LUN connected via iSCSI for a backup target which I did not use for the Microsoft backup test. All other backup jobs run successfully for the physical and virtual environment.
eebf2c3492