Organ performers

Thomas Gleim

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

I've been colllecting Bach organ recordings for about 30 years and own
many shelves full - representing hundreds of organists on all kinds of
organs. (I'm a formaer organist and former organ builder, now just an
organ music fancier.)

It's so funny though. Who, really, are the great Bach organists? This is
purely a matter of personal judgement and taste, and mine may well
differ from yours, but bearing that in mind, let me contribute some
comments:

- Do not judge an organist by the instrument(s) on which he records:
great and poor organists have recorded on both great and poor
instruments.

- Over the last several decades many changes have occurred in both
public taste and "standard" interpretation of these works. But there is
not a "right" and a "wrong" - Piet Kee may be more "authentic" than
Albert Schweitzer, but that doesn't necessarily make his recordings more
"musical" or give you a greater insight into Bach's works.

- That said, here are some of my personal favorites:

Karl Richter (for me, the greatest Bach organist)
Lionel Rogg
E. Power Biggs
Helmut Walcha
Walter Kraft
Jacques van Oortmerssen
Hans Helmut Tillmanns
Piet Kee

You'll notice that this list is dominated by organists of an earlier
generation. Well, I'm of an earlier generation, and I find the way those
people played far more moving and convincing than so many of the current
crop of organists. I find people like Leonhardt and Koopman to be
interesting on an abstract level but seriously deficient in practice.
(Maybe I'm too old ). I listed Kee, who I admire greatly, but let let
me add this comment: for all his facility and historical perspective,
few of his readings move me.

Anyway, I hope all of you can find Bach organ recordings which really
suit you. Bach's organ works rank among the greatest creations of
Western Civilization, and I hope all of you can find recordings which
are right for you.

Tom Gleim

tomg...@webtv.net

John Nunes

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

In message <5mqu7m$5ct$1...@newsd-111.bryant.webtv.net> -
tomg...@webtv.net (Thomas Gleim) writes:

>You'll notice that this list is dominated by organists of an earlier
>generation. Well, I'm of an earlier generation, and I find the way those
>people played far more moving and convincing than so many of the current
>crop of organists. I find people like Leonhardt and Koopman to be
>interesting on an abstract level but seriously deficient in practice.

Leonhardt is so-called 'new generation'? Which part of his career?

Never mind the fact that he's really more of a harpsichordist. (he
freely admits he's not entirely comfortable with pedaling)

Sheesh!

- John Nunes

w...@wgwilkins.com

Mar 16, 2016, 5:46:07 AM3/16/16

Hello John, This is Carol Golden. You and I were David Rothe's students. I am using my son's account to send this to you. He loves organ music and has a nice collection of recordings. I would love to hear what you are doing these days. Did you know I got my doctorate at. the University of Arizona? Dr. Roy Johnson, a fine organist, was head of the school. Perhaps you knew him or knew of him. He was such a fine man but was murdered by strangers who were pretending to need roadside assistantce one night . He stopped to help them and they killed him, stole his clothes and car and left his body by the side of the road. Horrible!
I love the memories of our studies at CSUC. One of the most important things I experienced there was what to do if you experience a memory slip during a performance. You tried that piece twice, then turned to the audience and excused hourself, walked off stage and returned with your music and played the daylights out of that piece. It was brilliant!!!!!
Then there was the incident when you didn't have any clean clothes so you wore some old red pants over to the music building where you went to practice the organ. The pants were too tight for you to pedal so hou took them off. Then the janitor walked in and there you sat practicing the organ in your underwear. It was one of the funniest things I had or have ever heard.
Please be in touch.

God bless.
Love,
Carol Golden