Dreaded play list

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 7, 2011, 1:55:21 PM5/7/11
Styx-The Grand Illusion 2 times
Rush-A Farewell to Kings 2 times
Grave-Burial Ground
Black Sabbath-Vol. 4
Within Temptation-The Unforgiving
Blood Ceremony-Living With the Ancients
Tift Merritt-Another Country
Reverend-World Won't Miss You
Black Sabbath-Sabotage
Heather Nova-Redbird, South, Glow Stars
Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Triptykon-Shatter
Judas Priest-Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings of Destiny
Steppenwolf-7
Sirenia-Enigma of Life
Judas Priest-Sin After Sin, Stained Class
Aerosmith-Greatest Hits 2 times
Scorpions-Sting in the Tail
Judas Priest-Hell Bent for Leather, British Steel
Woods of Ypres-Woods 4-the Green Album
Steppenwolf-Monster
Stabbing Westward-Comp

Tom

SG

May 8, 2011, 4:30:38 AM5/8/11

A couple of my most hated songs? 'Love in an Elevator" and "Rag
Doll" ..I'm sure you skipped those two ;)

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 8, 2011, 2:18:00 PM5/8/11
On May 8, 4:30 am, SG <sguen...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Aerosmith-Greatest Hits 2 times

> > Tom
>
> A couple of my most hated songs? 'Love in an Elevator" and "Rag
> Doll" ..I'm sure you skipped those two ;)

Those songs are most certainly not on Aerosmith's Greatest Hits.

Tom

TJ Xenos

May 9, 2011, 5:24:19 PM5/9/11
meant to post this before work yesterday

V/a - Thrashing Like A Maniac CD
Carnivore - s/t CD
Carnivore - Retaliation CD
Type O Negative - Slow Deep and Hard CD
Nausea - Extinction: The Second Coming CD (metallic crustpunk. 80s
nyc)
V/A - Welcome to Ground Zero CD (punk/hc distribution company sampler
cd from 98ish)
Madball - Ball of Destruction CD (NYHC)
SSD - Power CD (Boston straight edge hardcore pioneers anthology)
Colera - Grito Suburbano The Best Of CD (Brazillian Hardcore)
V/A - Sub CD (early 80s brazillian hc comp like Boston Not LA or Flex
Your Head)
Zero Boys - The History Of... CD (Indiana HC. reissue of promotional
tape from the 80s with songs from unrecorded second album. includes
first ep on cd as well)
Antiseen - Best of 2xCD (NC Destructo Rock. Iggy meets Ramones meets
Black Flag)
Antiseen - Drastic/Ep Royalty 2x7" (reissue of 2 early EPs)
Crash & Burn - Sick Again CD (Boston Punk/ROCK)
Reigning Sound - Time Bomb High School LP (garage rock)
Deer Tick - War Elephant CD (alt. country)
Deer Tick - Born On Flag Day CD
Deer Tick - Black Dirt Sessions CD
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression CD
Culture - Two Sevens Clash CD (reggae)
V/A - Towdown & OG Ron present Diamonds and Tattoos 2xCD (Texas rap
mix with regular and slowed versions)

audiophile

May 9, 2011, 10:01:47 PM5/9/11
On May 9, 5:24 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> Carnivore - s/t CD
> Carnivore - Retaliation CD
> Type O Negative - Slow Deep and Hard CD

Funny, I played these three this afternoon.

SDAH keeps getting better with age. Fantastic record.

> Nausea - Extinction: The Second Coming CD (metallic crustpunk.  80s
> nyc)

I, too, am a fan.

> Colera - Grito Suburbano The Best Of CD (Brazillian Hardcore)

Never heard of them. Anything special?

e.
--
NP: The Damned - full discography

TJ Xenos

May 10, 2011, 3:29:53 AM5/10/11
On May 9, 10:01 pm, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 9, 5:24 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Carnivore - s/t CD
> > Carnivore - Retaliation CD
> > Type O Negative - Slow Deep and Hard CD
>
> Funny, I played these three this afternoon.
>
> SDAH keeps getting better with age.  Fantastic record.

Its a record I've only gotten into the past few years. Got into type
o later on as a youth and wasn't really as into the dark/gothy shit.
Got into Carnivore quite some time back, and was convinced to check
out SDaH by a fellow carnivore fanatic a few years ago. Was unaware
that it was tunes from a planned 3rd carnivore record, and not at all
gothy.

> > Nausea - Extinction: The Second Coming CD (metallic crustpunk.  80s
> > nyc)
>
> I, too, am a fan.

Great stuff. Ever listen to Detestation? 90s crust from portland.
Like nausea but without all the mediocre male vocals.

> > Colera - Grito Suburbano The Best Of CD (Brazillian Hardcore)
>
> Never heard of them. Anything special?

I've always been a fan of Brazillian HC for its rawness (even in
comparison to swedish or finnish hc) and these guys are one of my
favorite old bands. Some of the later stuff gets more melodic and
makes you wanna sing along in portugese, but the older stuff is raw
thrash, and its all good.

SG

May 10, 2011, 4:54:03 PM5/10/11

..and "Dude Looks Like a Lady" ...but on the other hand, Aerosmith put
out an album "Rock In a Hard Place" which I play frequently.

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 10, 2011, 8:43:45 PM5/10/11
> > A couple of my most hated songs? 'Love in an Elevator" and "Rag
> > Doll" ..I'm sure you skipped those two ;)
>
> ..and "Dude Looks Like a Lady" ...but on the other hand, Aerosmith put
> out an album "Rock In a Hard Place" which I play frequently.

Don't know much about what's on most of their stand alone albums.

What's the big hit or two on that one?

Tom

SG

May 11, 2011, 1:22:18 PM5/11/11

It's an '82 album, and the only song that got any attention, radio-
wise, would have been 'Lightening Strikes', but even that one I've
only heard a couple of times on the radio when it first came out.
'Bitches Brew' and 'Jailbait' are to other stand-outs, but really the
whole album is a pleasure.

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 13, 2011, 6:37:38 PM5/13/11
On May 7, 1:55 pm, "tom_...@juno.com" <tom.madm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh, Judas Priest play list.

Kiss-Love Gun
Aerosmith-Rocks
Judas Priest-Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance
Blackfoot-Greatest Hits
Woods of Ypres-Woods 4, the Green album
Adele-21
Judas Priest-Defenders of the Faith, Turbo
Lullacry-Fire Within ep
Blood Ceremony-Living with the Ancients
Jethro Tull-Aqualung
Judas Priest-Ram It Down, Painkiller
Dead Soul Tribe-A Lullaby for the Devil
Blue Oyster Cult-Spectres
Judas Priest-Jugulator, Demolition
Heather Nova-South
Rush-A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres
Judas Priest-Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus
Heather Nova-Oyster, Siren, The Jasmine Flower

Tom

TJ Xenos

May 15, 2011, 6:41:45 AM5/15/11
Last Week (thru thursday)

Obsessed - Lunar Womb CD
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked CD
Sigh - Gallows Gallery CD
Burzum - Draugen Rarities Dualdisc
Masochist - History 2xCD (early 90s USBM)
Nattefrost - Blood and Vomit CD
Nattefrost - Terrorist: Nekronaut Pt1 CD
Napalm Death - Noise for Music's Sake 2xCD
Agoraphobic Nosebleed/Despise You - And on and On split CD (grind)
V/A - Possessed to Skate CD (90s grind/powerviolence skate comp.
Despise You, Asshole Parade, Charles Bronson, Spazz, etc)
Spazz - La Revancha CD
V/A - World Demise CD (grind comp. Dystopia, Abstain, Agothacles, etc)
Los Crudos - Discografia CD (Fast Thrash HC from Chicago. Influenced
by 80s italian hc)
Code 13 - Complete Discography 1994-2000 CD (grind/hardcore)
Nightmare - Early Years CD (Japanese HC)
Poison Idea - Blank Blackout Vacant CD (portland hardcore legends.
one of their more rocked out offerings)
V/A - Old School Punk CD (cheesy comp I picked up in high school, but
classic LA punk tunes. Wild In the Streets, I Don't Care About You,
Richie Dagger, Los Angeles, I Got a Gun, Out of Vogue, etc)
Fear - The Record CD
Queers - Back to the Basement CD (snotty punk. new album)
Screeching Weasel - Wiggle LP (melodic punk. From the early/mid 90s
when they were untouchable)
Dead Moon - Dead Moon Night/Thirteen Off My Hook CD (garage)

TJ Xenos

May 16, 2011, 8:31:10 PM5/16/11
More records to confound Tom ;)

Slayer - World Painted Blood/Atrocity Vendor 7"
Slaughterhouse - Face Reality CD
Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre CD
Sleep - Dopesmoker CD
Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions 2xLP
Mudhoney/Gashuffer - Split 7" (garage. both bands do covers. kinda
pointless but Mudhoney does a good Angry Samoans cover)
Bad Brains - Pay to Cum/Stay Close to Me 7" (Record store day 2011
reissue)
Bad Brains - ROIR Tape LP (Aka the self titled LP. The one that
started it all...)
Off! - Live at Generation Records 7" (Record Store Day exclusive)
Husker Du - Spot's Arcade (Bootleg. Outtakes from Zen Arcade)
Bouncing Souls/Hot Water Music - Split 7" (melodic punk. each covers
one of the others songs. kinda throwaway even if the Souls cover one
of my fave HWM songs)
Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim LP (unbelievably catchy melodic punk/
rock. clash, springsteen, etc)
Bruce Springsteen - Save My Love/Because the Night 7" (Record store
day release of 2 songs from the recent 2 disc set of outtakes from
Darkness on the Edge of Town)
Pogues - Red Roses For Me CD
Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash CD
Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD
Pogues - Peace and Love CD
Pogues - Hell's Ditch CD
Pogues - Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!!
5xCD Box (Rarities/outtakes/unreleased)
Outkast - Stankonia 2xLP (Rap/Funk)
DJ Edzon - Luffie Duffie Mixtape2 (RnB. Promotional Mixtape put out
by a Dutch boutique)

SG

May 16, 2011, 10:23:05 PM5/16/11

What have I been listening to?

The whole Megadeth catalogue minus CtE, Youthanasia, and Risk
The Plasmatics - Beyond the Valley of 1984
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Neon Hearts - Ball and Chain
Harry Nilsson - Comp.
Butthole Surfers - Wierd Revolution
Acid Drinkers - Broken Head
Angel Corpse - Iron Blood and Blasphemy
Type O Negative - Life Is Killing Me
Exhumed - Anatomy is Destiny
Clawfinger - A Whole Lot of Nothing

audiophile

May 17, 2011, 1:01:46 AM5/17/11
On May 16, 8:31 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> More records to confound Tom ;)

Hell, this is my kind of playlist! In fact, on any given week, it
almost could be.

> Slayer - World Painted Blood/Atrocity Vendor 7"
> Slaughterhouse - Face Reality CD
> Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre CD
> Sleep - Dopesmoker CD
> Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions 2xLP
> Mudhoney/Gashuffer - Split 7" (garage.  both bands do covers.  kinda
> pointless but Mudhoney does a good Angry Samoans cover)
> Bad Brains - Pay to Cum/Stay Close to Me 7" (Record store day 2011
> reissue)
> Bad Brains - ROIR Tape LP (Aka the self titled LP.  The one that
> started it all...)

All of these are fantastic, and except for Earth (which is relatively
new to me ... I've only been "into" them for about a year or so) all
of these have gotten tons of spins.

Fucking love Bad Brains. I know they're huge in the scene, but
they're still stupidly underrated IMO.

> Husker Du - Spot's Arcade (Bootleg.  Outtakes from Zen Arcade)

Never was as big a HD fan as the rest of the scene. They're okay, for
sure, I just never saw how they were better than the other hundred
bands

> Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim LP (unbelievably catchy melodic punk/
> rock.  clash, springsteen, etc)

Hell yeah.

> Pogues - Red Roses For Me CD
> Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash CD
> Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD
> Pogues - Peace and Love CD
> Pogues - Hell's Ditch CD
> Pogues - Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!!
> 5xCD Box (Rarities/outtakes/unreleased)

<snip rap shit> :)

I gotta get around to a good Pogues evening again one of these days.

e.
--
TJ and DC seem to have the closest taste to mine on these groups

dclizardking

May 17, 2011, 5:06:07 AM5/17/11
On May 17, 1:31 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
> More records to confound Tom ;)
>
> Slayer - World Painted Blood/Atrocity Vendor 7"
> Slaughterhouse - Face Reality CD
> Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre CD
> Sleep - Dopesmoker CD
> Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions 2xLP
> Mudhoney/Gashuffer - Split 7" (garage.  both bands do covers.  kinda
> pointless but Mudhoney does a good Angry Samoans cover)
> Bad Brains - Pay to Cum/Stay Close to Me 7" (Record store day 2011
> reissue)
> Bad Brains - ROIR Tape LP (Aka the self titled LP.  The one that
> started it all...)

All brilliant.

> Off! - Live at Generation Records 7" (Record Store Day exclusive)
> Husker Du - Spot's Arcade (Bootleg.  Outtakes from Zen Arcade)
> Bouncing Souls/Hot Water Music - Split 7" (melodic punk.  each covers
> one of the others songs.  kinda throwaway even if the Souls cover one
> of my fave HWM songs)
> Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim LP (unbelievably catchy melodic punk/
> rock.  clash, springsteen, etc)

I really like Gaslight Anthem, they take a lot of great influences and
throw them in a big pot.

> Bruce Springsteen - Save My Love/Because the Night 7" (Record store
> day release of 2 songs from the recent 2 disc set of outtakes from
> Darkness on the Edge of Town)

Brilliant, love that set...Springsteen could do no wrong at the time
this stuff was recorded.

> Pogues - Red Roses For Me CD
> Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash CD
> Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD
> Pogues - Peace and Love CD
> Pogues - Hell's Ditch CD
> Pogues - Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!!
> 5xCD Box (Rarities/outtakes/unreleased)

You just can't go wrong with the Pogues, perfect drinking music.

Soze

May 17, 2011, 5:21:16 AM5/17/11

"audiophile" wrote in message

> Pogues - Red Roses For Me CD
> Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash CD
> Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD
> Pogues - Peace and Love CD
> Pogues - Hell's Ditch CD
> Pogues - Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!!
> 5xCD Box (Rarities/outtakes/unreleased)

<snip rap shit> :)

>I gotta get around to a good Pogues evening again one of these days.

The Pogues are quite possibly my favourite non metal band ever. Particularly
the first 2 albums.

TJ Xenos

May 17, 2011, 9:23:01 AM5/17/11
On May 16, 10:23 pm, SG <sguen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What have I been listening to?
>
> Butthole Surfers - Wierd Revolution

Might have to dig this out. Don't believe I've spun it since its
release. I remember being pretty disappointed.

TJ Xenos

May 17, 2011, 9:29:24 AM5/17/11
On May 17, 1:01 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 8:31 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > More records to confound Tom ;)
>
> Hell, this is my kind of playlist!   In fact, on any given week, it
> almost could be.
>
> > Slayer - World Painted Blood/Atrocity Vendor 7"
> > Slaughterhouse - Face Reality CD
> > Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre CD
> > Sleep - Dopesmoker CD
> > Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions 2xLP
> > Mudhoney/Gashuffer - Split 7" (garage.  both bands do covers.  kinda
> > pointless but Mudhoney does a good Angry Samoans cover)
> > Bad Brains - Pay to Cum/Stay Close to Me 7" (Record store day 2011
> > reissue)
> > Bad Brains - ROIR Tape LP (Aka the self titled LP.  The one that
> > started it all...)
>
> All of these are fantastic, and except for Earth (which is relatively
> new to me ... I've only been "into" them for about a year or so) all
> of these have gotten tons of spins.

The slaughterhouse is pretty weak IMO. I've only spun the earth
twice, as I've only gotten extensively into them in the last 2-3 years
after having heard earth 2 many moons ago (shortly after hearing
SunnO))) spout off about it)

> Fucking love Bad Brains.  I know they're huge in the scene, but
> they're still stupidly underrated IMO.

I always hesitate when people wanna name them the first/best/most
important, but man do they still blow my mind every time I listen to
them.

> > Husker Du - Spot's Arcade (Bootleg.  Outtakes from Zen Arcade)
>
> Never was as big a HD fan as the rest of the scene.  They're okay, for
> sure, I just never saw how they were better than the other hundred
> bands

As far as bands that wrote songs (in the pop sense), there was nobody
really touching Du in the 80s, not even the Replacements. I might be
tempted to rank Naked Raygun alongside them.

> > Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim LP (unbelievably catchy melodic punk/
> > rock.  clash, springsteen, etc)
>
> Hell yeah.

Knowing you like these guys so much, I'm kind of surprised you don't
dig Husker Du. Admittedly it wasn't cool playing poppy hc songs in
the 80s when everyone else was getting harder and faster. But don't
think about shit like bad brains, its not even supposed to be like
that, its more like the clash or replacements,

> > Pogues - Red Roses For Me CD
> > Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash CD
> > Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD
> > Pogues - Peace and Love CD
> > Pogues - Hell's Ditch CD
> > Pogues - Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!!
> > 5xCD Box (Rarities/outtakes/unreleased)
>
> <snip rap shit> :)
>
> I gotta get around to a good Pogues evening again one of these days.

Just picked up the box set this weekend (finally) and pulled out the
first 5 albums to spin as well. This has been my work playlist for
the last 2 days, nothing but pogues.

SG

May 18, 2011, 4:35:02 PM5/18/11

You probably thought it was over-produced. It's one of my personal
favorites for non-metal. There's only one weak track, imo.

TJ Xenos

May 19, 2011, 8:24:53 AM5/19/11

Ive been a big surfers fan for like 20 years (fack im getting old) but
this is one of my least favorites along with the one that had pepper
on it...

dclizardking

May 19, 2011, 12:21:17 PM5/19/11

You can't top Locust Abortion Technician... a classic album. How many
bands get to write a song called Kuntz?

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 19, 2011, 4:59:07 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 12:21 pm, dclizardking <dclizardk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ive been a big surfers fan for like 20 years (fack im getting old) but
> > this is one of my least favorites along with the one that had pepper
> > on it...
>
> You can't top Locust Abortion Technician... a classic album. How many
> bands get to write a song called Kuntz?

Not many. I don't suppose.

Tom

tom.m...@gmail.com

May 20, 2011, 6:11:57 PM5/20/11
On May 13, 6:37 pm, "tom_...@juno.com" <tom.madm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, Judas Priest play list.

Maiden's turn play list.

Iron Maiden-ST and Killers
Heart-Dreamboat Annie
Foreigner-Best of
Tift Merritt-Another Country
Kansas-Leftoverture
Adele-21
Woods of Ypres-Woods 4:The Green Album
Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind
Heather Nova-Glowstars
Steppenwolf-Monster
Aerosmith-Greatest Hits
Iron Maiden-Powerslave, Somewhere in Time
Styx-The Grand Illuision
Grave-Burial Ground
Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, No Prayer for the Dying
Rush-Hemispheres

Blood Ceremony-Living With the Ancients

Iron Maiden-Fear of the Dark, The X Factor
Heather Nova-Storm
Rush-Permanent Waves
ZZ Top-Rio Grande Mud

Tom

audiophile

May 22, 2011, 5:59:36 AM5/22/11
Missed this one last run through.

On May 17, 9:29 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> The slaughterhouse is pretty weak IMO.  I've only spun the earth
> twice, as I've only gotten extensively into them in the last 2-3 years
> after having heard earth 2 many moons ago (shortly after hearing
> SunnO))) spout off about it)

Hm, I haven't even heard the Slaughterhouse. Or if I have, I don't
remember it. Must rectify this.

> > Fucking love Bad Brains.  I know they're huge in the scene, but
> > they're still stupidly underrated IMO.
>
> I always hesitate when people wanna name them the first/best/most
> important, but man do they still blow my mind every time I listen to
> them.

I have no problem preaching the gospel of Bad Brains. Best/most
important? Of what? It's hard to even classify them. Reggae/soul/
funk/crossover? If that's where they fit, then yes they're the
best :)

> > Never was as big a HD fan as the rest of the scene.  They're okay, for
> > sure, I just never saw how they were better than the other hundred
> > bands
>
> As far as bands that wrote songs (in the pop sense), there was nobody
> really touching Du in the 80s, not even the Replacements.  I might be
> tempted to rank Naked Raygun alongside them.

Gotta disagree on this one. Replacements were untouchable (IMO of
course).

> > > Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim LP (unbelievably catchy melodic punk/
> > > rock.  clash, springsteen, etc)
>
> > Hell yeah.
>
> Knowing you like these guys so much, I'm kind of surprised you don't
> dig Husker Du.  Admittedly it wasn't cool playing poppy hc songs in
> the 80s when everyone else was getting harder and faster.  But don't
> think about shit like bad brains, its not even supposed to be like
> that, its more like the clash or replacements,

I don't dislike the Du, but they don't really turn my crank. Why? I
honestly can't say.

I'm a bit Tom-ish around punk, is probably the right answer. That is
to say, random and inconsistent :). I've heard most bands that got
any sort of attention in the scene from the 70's-90s, but don't have a
huge collection. Loved the first Offspring, hate all Green Day
(including the demoes), for example. Love NOFX, dislike Rancid and
most other pop-punk.

My tastes in punk (including all subgenres but not counting any
crossover) generally orbit around DK, Clash, NYD, Damned, Bad
Religion, Stooges, Misfits/(early)Samhain, Pogues, Murderdolls, NOFX,
Replacements, and Nomeansno.

(if Social Distortion counts as punk this week, then they're near the
top of the list of course)

Missing a ton here, but those are the bands off the top of my head
that I listen to most.

> > I gotta get around to a good Pogues evening again one of these days.
>
> Just picked up the box set this weekend (finally) and pulled out the
> first 5 albums to spin as well.  This has been my work playlist for
> the last 2 days, nothing but pogues.

I rectified my Pogues drought this last week.

Full discog, baby! Including the xmas record.

e.
--
punk in drublic

TJ Xenos

May 22, 2011, 8:32:42 AM5/22/11
On May 22, 5:59 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Missed this one last run through.
>
> On May 17, 9:29 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > The slaughterhouse is pretty weak IMO.  I've only spun the earth
> > twice, as I've only gotten extensively into them in the last 2-3 years
> > after having heard earth 2 many moons ago (shortly after hearing
> > SunnO))) spout off about it)
>
> Hm, I haven't even heard the Slaughterhouse.  Or if I have, I don't
> remember it.  Must rectify this.

Rather generic late 80s/early 90s US Thrash. Hugely influenced by
Kill Em All.

> > > Fucking love Bad Brains.  I know they're huge in the scene, but
> > > they're still stupidly underrated IMO.
>
> > I always hesitate when people wanna name them the first/best/most
> > important, but man do they still blow my mind every time I listen to
> > them.
>
> I have no problem preaching the gospel of Bad Brains. Best/most
> important? Of what?  It's hard to even classify them.  Reggae/soul/
> funk/crossover?  If that's where they fit, then yes they're the
> best :)

I'd consider them a hardcore band, as I dont generally get into
anything past rock for light. There were a few other bands playing as
fast as they were as early (black flag, discharge, middle class) and
theres some bands that have better catalogs (black flag, minor
threat), but bad brains has the ability to make me completely lose my
shit out of nowhere from the second I hear it, which not a lot of
other bands do..

TJ Xenos

May 22, 2011, 8:38:35 AM5/22/11
hit send by accident too soon. part 2.

On May 22, 5:59 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Missed this one last run through.
>
> On May 17, 9:29 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > Never was as big a HD fan as the rest of the scene.  They're okay, for
> > > sure, I just never saw how they were better than the other hundred
> > > bands
>
> > As far as bands that wrote songs (in the pop sense), there was nobody
> > really touching Du in the 80s, not even the Replacements.  I might be
> > tempted to rank Naked Raygun alongside them.
>
> Gotta disagree on this one.  Replacements were untouchable (IMO of
> course).

I gotta disagree. I think Replacements went indie rock much more
successfully than Du, but I'd take zen arcade over let it be.

> > > Hell yeah.
>
> > Knowing you like these guys so much, I'm kind of surprised you don't
> > dig Husker Du.  Admittedly it wasn't cool playing poppy hc songs in
> > the 80s when everyone else was getting harder and faster.  But don't
> > think about shit like bad brains, its not even supposed to be like
> > that, its more like the clash or replacements,
>
> I don't dislike the Du, but they don't really turn my crank.  Why? I
> honestly can't say.

Give zen arcade another shot.

> I'm a bit Tom-ish around punk, is probably the right answer.  That is
> to say, random and inconsistent :).  I've heard most bands that got
> any sort of attention in the scene from the 70's-90s, but don't have a
> huge collection.  Loved the first Offspring, hate all Green Day
> (including the demoes), for example.  Love NOFX, dislike Rancid and
> most other pop-punk.

I can get down with early green day and love nofx and the first
several rancid records. most pop punk from that era was bad, it got
really commercialized and watered down

> My tastes in punk (including all subgenres but not counting any
> crossover) generally orbit around DK, Clash, NYD, Damned, Bad
> Religion, Stooges, Misfits/(early)Samhain, Pogues, Murderdolls, NOFX,
> Replacements, and Nomeansno.

Minutemen? I'm guessing the black flag omission was unintentional?
You into Fear?

> (if Social Distortion counts as punk this week, then they're near the
> top of the list of course)

That reminds me, I need to pick up the new LP.

> Missing a ton here, but those are the bands off the top of my head
> that I listen to most.
>
> > > I gotta get around to a good Pogues evening again one of these days.
>
> > Just picked up the box set this weekend (finally) and pulled out the
> > first 5 albums to spin as well.  This has been my work playlist for
> > the last 2 days, nothing but pogues.
>
> I rectified my Pogues drought this last week.
>
> Full discog, baby!  Including the xmas record.

Yes!!!

audiophile

May 22, 2011, 9:10:56 PM5/22/11
On May 22, 8:38 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Gotta disagree on this one.  Replacements were untouchable (IMO of
> > course).
>
> I gotta disagree.  I think Replacements went indie rock much more
> successfully than Du, but I'd take zen arcade over let it be.

The glove's been thrown down! I'll have to borrow zen arcade to listen
again, but I'd be surprised as hell if it beats LIB.

> I can get down with early green day and love nofx and the first
> several rancid records.  most pop punk from that era was bad, it got
> really commercialized and watered down

GD vocals are nails on chalkboard to me. Can't abide them at all.

> > My tastes in punk (including all subgenres but not counting any
> > crossover) generally orbit around DK, Clash, NYD, Damned, Bad
> > Religion, Stooges, Misfits/(early)Samhain, Pogues, Murderdolls, NOFX,
> > Replacements, and Nomeansno.
>
> Minutemen?  I'm guessing the black flag omission was unintentional?
> You into Fear?

Yeah, I missed a ton here. Minor Threat of course, Minutemen,
Runaways, Plasmatics...it goes on. I tried to avoid getting into
hardcore, oi!, postpunk or Seattle folk punk either (cos the lists
just get too unmanageable at that point).

Fear ... yeah, although I'm surprised they're counted as influential
as they are. I think history just elevated them because they're "the
band came from." I like the first two (The Record is the second one,
right?)

> > (if Social Distortion counts as punk this week, then they're near the
> > top of the list of course)
>
> That reminds me, I need to pick up the new LP.

Oh yeah! It's been "in the making" so long that I just forgot about
it.

e.
--
mommy's little monster

audiophile

May 22, 2011, 9:16:07 PM5/22/11
On May 22, 8:32 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Hm, I haven't even heard the Slaughterhouse.  Or if I have, I don't
> > remember it.  Must rectify this.
>
> Rather generic late 80s/early 90s US Thrash.  Hugely influenced by
> Kill Em All.

Oh I've heard of Slaughterhouse, just haven't heard that record. I
think. If I have, it was clearly not that memorable :)

> > I have no problem preaching the gospel of Bad Brains. Best/most
> > important? Of what?  It's hard to even classify them.  Reggae/soul/
> > funk/crossover?  If that's where they fit, then yes they're the
> > best :)
>
> I'd consider them a hardcore band, as I dont generally get into
> anything past rock for light.  There were a few other bands playing as
> fast as they were as early (black flag, discharge, middle class) and
> theres some bands that have better catalogs (black flag, minor
> threat), but bad brains has the ability to make me completely lose my
> shit out of nowhere from the second I hear it, which not a lot of
> other bands do..

Ah, ok. Yeah, BB are definitely more than just hardcore, 'cos that's
just two records out of their entire discog :)

Black Flag and Minor Threat's best are as good as BB's first two,
agreed. Although HR is the best hardcore screamer I've ever heard.

You don't like Rise?

e.
--
fan. boy.

TJ Xenos

May 23, 2011, 6:12:51 PM5/23/11
On May 22, 9:10 pm, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 8:38 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > Gotta disagree on this one.  Replacements were untouchable (IMO of
> > > course).
>
> > I gotta disagree.  I think Replacements went indie rock much more
> > successfully than Du, but I'd take zen arcade over let it be.
>
> The glove's been thrown down! I'll have to borrow zen arcade to listen
> again, but I'd be surprised as hell if it beats LIB.

I've been going nuts just listening to a bootleg of outtakes the past
week, nevermind the real album!

> > I can get down with early green day and love nofx and the first
> > several rancid records.  most pop punk from that era was bad, it got
> > really commercialized and watered down
>
> GD vocals are nails on chalkboard to me.  Can't abide them at all.

Can see this. I find them tough to stomach even on the earlier stuff
and unbearable on the rest.

> > > My tastes in punk (including all subgenres but not counting any
> > > crossover) generally orbit around DK, Clash, NYD, Damned, Bad
> > > Religion, Stooges, Misfits/(early)Samhain, Pogues, Murderdolls, NOFX,
> > > Replacements, and Nomeansno.
>
> > Minutemen?  I'm guessing the black flag omission was unintentional?
> > You into Fear?
>
> Yeah, I missed a ton here. Minor Threat of course, Minutemen,
> Runaways, Plasmatics...it goes on.  I tried to avoid getting into
> hardcore, oi!, postpunk or Seattle folk punk either (cos the lists
> just get too unmanageable at that point).

Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
see listed.

> Fear ... yeah, although I'm surprised they're counted as influential
> as they are.  I think history just elevated them because they're "the
> band came from."   I like the first two (The Record is the second one,
> right?)

The record is the first one. I think the big thing that plays into
their mythology is the SNL appearance. Also, I don't care about you
is one of the best songs of the original cali punk era alongside
Bloodstains and Kids of the Black Hole. I totally went crazy when I
was listening to the Despise You/Agoraphobic Nosebleed split and
Despise You covered I Don't Care About You. Also, this female fronted
band I saw open for the Queers last week covered it, and my drunk ass
couldn't get enough. My girlfriend probably got a lifetime's worth of
ranting about the song that evening.

> > > (if Social Distortion counts as punk this week, then they're near the
> > > top of the list of course)
>
> > That reminds me, I need to pick up the new LP.
>
> Oh yeah!  It's been "in the making" so long that I just forgot about
> it.

came out a few months back, was kinda sleeping on it, heard good
things from a few people, noticed the LP version came with a CD, made
a mental note to get the vinyl, then promptly forgot all about the
album altogether.

TJ Xenos

May 23, 2011, 6:14:43 PM5/23/11
On May 22, 9:16 pm, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 8:32 am, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hm, I haven't even heard the Slaughterhouse.  Or if I have, I don't
> > > remember it.  Must rectify this.
>
> > Rather generic late 80s/early 90s US Thrash.  Hugely influenced by
> > Kill Em All.
>
> Oh I've heard of Slaughterhouse, just haven't heard that record.  I
> think.  If I have, it was clearly not that memorable :)

My description suffices for the band, or any of its albums (i have 2).

> > > I have no problem preaching the gospel of Bad Brains. Best/most
> > > important? Of what?  It's hard to even classify them.  Reggae/soul/
> > > funk/crossover?  If that's where they fit, then yes they're the
> > > best :)
>
> > I'd consider them a hardcore band, as I dont generally get into
> > anything past rock for light.  There were a few other bands playing as
> > fast as they were as early (black flag, discharge, middle class) and
> > theres some bands that have better catalogs (black flag, minor
> > threat), but bad brains has the ability to make me completely lose my
> > shit out of nowhere from the second I hear it, which not a lot of
> > other bands do..
>
> Ah, ok.  Yeah, BB are definitely more than just hardcore, 'cos that's
> just two records out of their entire discog :)
>
> Black Flag and Minor Threat's best are as good as BB's first two,
> agreed. Although HR is the best hardcore screamer I've ever heard.
>
> You don't like Rise?

I always steered clear of the non-HR stuff.

> e.
> --
> fan. boy.

audiophile

May 24, 2011, 4:12:49 AM5/24/11
On May 23, 6:12 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
> Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
> see listed.

Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.

Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?

DC? Cailinsdad?

...Wyrd? ;)

> The record is the first one.

Ah, right. I keep getting that one confused chronologically with More
Beer (which is my favorite...I think). It's been ages since I heard
either.

> I think the big thing that plays into
> their mythology is the SNL appearance.  Also, I don't care about you
> is one of the best songs of the original cali punk era alongside
> Bloodstains and Kids of the Black Hole. I totally went crazy when I
> was listening to the Despise You/Agoraphobic Nosebleed split and
> Despise You covered I Don't Care About You.  Also, this female fronted
> band I saw open for the Queers last week covered it, and my drunk ass
> couldn't get enough.  My girlfriend probably got a lifetime's worth of
> ranting about the song that evening.

Oh, shit! The Queers ... jesus, the list just keeps getting too long.

> > > That reminds me, I need to pick up the new LP.
>
> > Oh yeah!  It's been "in the making" so long that I just forgot about
> > it.
>
> came out a few months back, was kinda sleeping on it, heard good
> things from a few people, noticed the LP version came with a CD, made
> a mental note to get the vinyl, then promptly forgot all about the
> album altogether.

I'll at least give a good number of listens to anything SD puts out.
They've earned that much.

e.
--
so far away!

TJ Xenos

May 24, 2011, 7:38:25 AM5/24/11
On May 24, 4:12 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 6:12 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
> > Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
> > see listed.
>
> Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.
>
> Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?
>
> DC? Cailinsdad?
>
> ...Wyrd? ;)

wish I had time for this right now...

> > The record is the first one.
>
> Ah, right.  I keep getting that one confused chronologically with More
> Beer (which is my favorite...I think).  It's been ages since I heard
> either.

I havent heard more beer in forever, was always more of a fan of the
record.

> > I think the big thing that plays into
> > their mythology is the SNL appearance.  Also, I don't care about you
> > is one of the best songs of the original cali punk era alongside
> > Bloodstains and Kids of the Black Hole. I totally went crazy when I
> > was listening to the Despise You/Agoraphobic Nosebleed split and
> > Despise You covered I Don't Care About You.  Also, this female fronted
> > band I saw open for the Queers last week covered it, and my drunk ass
> > couldn't get enough.  My girlfriend probably got a lifetime's worth of
> > ranting about the song that evening.
>
> Oh, shit!  The Queers ... jesus, the list just keeps getting too long.

Yeah! They did half a set of classic 90s shit with a few off the new
album, then a mini set with wimpy on vocals doing the rawer 80s stuff.

> > > Oh yeah!  It's been "in the making" so long that I just forgot about
> > > it.
>
> > came out a few months back, was kinda sleeping on it, heard good
> > things from a few people, noticed the LP version came with a CD, made
> > a mental note to get the vinyl, then promptly forgot all about the
> > album altogether.
>
> I'll at least give a good number of listens to anything SD puts out.
> They've earned that much.

Absolutely. Were terrible live when I saw them last time, but the few
songs I've heard come on my girls ipod have been pretty good

dclizardking

May 24, 2011, 11:00:52 AM5/24/11
On May 24, 9:12 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 6:12 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
> > Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
> > see listed.
>
> Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.
>
> Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?
>
> DC? Cailinsdad?

I'll bite, this is off the top of my head though, so could be subject
to change.

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Stooges - Self Titled (this could so easily have been either RP or FH)
New York Dolls - Self Titled
Ramones - Self Titled
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
SLF - Inflammable Material
The Clash - The Clash
Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

Mostly well known stuff, but it does seem as though the best albums
from the popular bands eclipsed everyone else in the punk field.

TJ Xenos

May 24, 2011, 6:40:57 PM5/24/11
On May 24, 11:00 am, dclizardking <dclizardk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 9:12 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 23, 6:12 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
> > > Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
> > > see listed.
>
> > Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.
>
> > Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?
>
> > DC? Cailinsdad?
>
> I'll bite, this is off the top of my head though, so could be subject
> to change.
>
> Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
> Misfits - Walk Among Us
> Stooges - Self Titled (this could so easily have been either RP or FH)
> New York Dolls - Self Titled
> Ramones - Self Titled
> Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
> SLF - Inflammable Material
> The Clash - The Clash
> Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
> Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
>
> Mostly well known stuff, but it does seem as though the best albums
> from the popular bands eclipsed everyone else in the punk field.

No bad brains ROIR tape, but you include a compilation of buzzcocks
45s? :(

TJ Xenos

May 24, 2011, 6:56:32 PM5/24/11
On May 24, 4:12 am, audiophile <audiophi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 6:12 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Fair enough, you can't be listing all day (who can, besides ian?).
> > Those were just two I assumed you would dig, and was surprised to not
> > see listed.
>
> Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.
>
> Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?
>
> DC? Cailinsdad?
>
> ...Wyrd? ;)

This is impossible, but off the top, I'll try to stick to punk and
early hardcore/punk full lengths and not deal with hardcore as it
developed through the 80s to the present

Bad Brains ROIR cassette
Adolescents - s/t

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

Discharge - Why?
Ramones - Leave Home
Blitz - Voice of A Generation
Poison Idea -Kings of Punk
Subhumans - The Day the Country Died
Channel 3 - Fear of Life
Angry Samoans - Back from Samoa

a lot tougher than I thought, so many of my favorite releases were
seven inches, theres not a lot of good actual studio lps.

dclizardking

May 25, 2011, 2:07:10 AM5/25/11

I love that Buzzcocks album, I'm not bothered that it's a compilation.
It still gets regular spins 32 years after its release. I probably
should have included Siouxsie and the Banshees "The Scream" as it's
one of my favourite albums of all time, but I never like to classify
her stuff as I think she transcends classification.

TJ Xenos

May 26, 2011, 9:39:11 AM5/26/11
On May 16, 8:31 pm, TJ Xenos <talvi...@aol.com> wrote:
> More records to confound Tom ;)

Satanic Slaughter- The Early Years: Dawn of Darkness CD (thrash/death/
black pre-witchery)
Witchery - Don't Fear the Reaper CD
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream +3 2xLP
Gallhammer - Ill Innocence CD (raw black metal like Hellhammer meets
Amebix)
Amebix - Monolith LP (crust/metal)
Fall of the Bastards - Dusk of An Ancient Age LP (crusty black metal
from Oregon)
Noothgrush/Deadbodieseverywhere - Split 7" (noothgrush = sludge, DBE =
thrashcore)
Xasthur - Portal of Sorrow 2xLP (DSBM. Newest album, less raw and
more atmorspheric)
Alcest - Ecailles De Lune CD (blackgaze or whatever the fuck they call
it)
Wolf Eyes - Human Animal LP (weird noise/experimental)
Last In Line - L'esercito Del Morto LP (One of the best HC bands/
albums of the early 2000s. Picked up a second copy, with the limited
alternate cover last week)
NOFX - The Greatest Songs Ever Written By Us CD (punk rock best of)
Dillinger 4 - This Shit is Genius LP (comp and ep tracks)
Dillinger 4 - D4 The Bootleg LP (allegedly a BBC session, but
everything about the packaging is 1000% tongue in cheek, so who knows)
Reigning Sound - Too Much Guitar LP (Garage rock. heaviest and
noisiest album courtest of Jay Reatard and Alicja Trout's production)
Butthole Surfers - Weird Revolution CD (Forgot how awesome Shame of
Life is)
Joy Division - Preston 28 February 1980 CD
Social Distortion - s/t CD (rock n roll punk)
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs CD
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town 3xCD Box (reissue
with 2 cds of outtakes)
Pimp C - Pimpalation 2xCD (compilation of texas rap put together by
Pimp C after his release from jail. regular and slow discs)

cailinsdad

Jun 4, 2011, 5:09:50 PM6/4/11
On Tue, 24 May 2011 01:12:49 -0700 (PDT), audiophile
<audio...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, I think there's probably enough interest on AMS at least.
>
>Who wants to take a crack at a top 10 essential punk records list?
>
>DC? Cailinsdad?

What we talk about when we talk about punk rock...

No hardcore, late 70's to 1980.

Ramones - Ramones

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

X Ray Spex - Germfree Adolecents
999 - 999
Young Loud and Snotty - Dead Boys
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys
Inflamable Material - Stiff Little Fingers
Blank Generation - Richard Hell
Go Girl Crazy - The Dictators
Los Angeles - X

additional mention

Pure Mania - Vibrators
Damned Damned Damned - The Damned
Pink Flag - Wire

I think that is as good a starting point for someone looking to check
out punk rock as any. I leave out Never Mind The Bullocks... because
I don't think the Pistols embodied the same spirit as these bands and
most have heard them anyway.