Did Sandra Chapin ever sue Volkswagen ??

Gary Seubert

Dec 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/26/96
to Gary Seubert

Hi:

I know it goes back over 15 years but I seem to recall hearing that
Harry's wife did (or was planning to) sue Volkswagen after the tragic
accident of July 17, 1981. Something about the fact that the crash
ruptured the fuel line but the fuel pump continued to pump gas, causing
(or at least contributing to) the fire.

Anyone recall any specific details along these lines?

Thanks.

GS
--
Gary Seubert - UNIX Class of '73 B.C. ('B'efore 'C'pio)

"The number of UNIX installations is now above 50, and many more are
expected." - UNIX Programmer's Manual - Fifth Edition - June, 1974

David A. Paterson

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

In article <32C2FD...@aosi.com>, ga...@aosi.com says...

>Hi:
>
>I know it goes back over 15 years but I seem to recall hearing that
>Harry's wife did (or was planning to) sue Volkswagen after the tragic
>accident of July 17, 1981. Something about the fact that the crash
>ruptured the fuel line but the fuel pump continued to pump gas, causing
>(or at least contributing to) the fire.
>
>Anyone recall any specific details along these lines?
>
>Thanks.
>
>GS

She did successfully sue the trucking company of the truck that rear-ended
Harry, but I've never heard of a VW suit.

--
David A. Paterson
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1878

chu...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 7:18:06 AM6/28/15
בתאריך יום חמישי, 26 בדצמבר 1996 בשעה 10:00:00 UTC+2, מאת Gary Seubert:
> Hi:
>
> I know it goes back over 15 years but I seem to recall hearing that
> Harry's wife did (or was planning to) sue Volkswagen after the tragic
> accident of July 17, 1981. Something about the fact that the crash
> ruptured the fuel line but the fuel pump continued to pump gas, causing
> (or at least contributing to) the fire.
>
> Anyone recall any specific details along these lines?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GS
> --
> Gary Seubert - UNIX Class of '73 B.C. ('B'efore 'C'pio)
>
> "The number of UNIX installations is now above 50, and many more are
> expected." - UNIX Programmer's Manual - Fifth Edition - June, 1974

The case was filed. Many of the accounts of his death on the Internet are incorrect. Having worked on aspects of the case I can say the issues are many and complicated and a rather strong case was made against VW America in regards to issues such as motor defects, defects in the weld, and the design of the passive restraint. I don't personally know what happened to the case however.