Beginner's questions..

Ramashish Baranwal

Jul 30, 2005, 11:10:45 AM7/30/05
Hi,

I am a beginner at harmonica and have never played any musical
instrument before. Here are some of my questions (I am sorry if they
sound silly to most of you)-

Which harmonica is best for a beginner to learn? And does this factor
matter too much? I don't know anything at all about different kind of
harmonicas, so I got myself one which caught my attraction and its a 16
double hole (one above the other). I would like to know how good is it
for learning?

Though it varies from person to person how much time does it "normally"
take for a beginner to play decent enough (My definition of decent
being it doesn't sound unpleasant.:-D)

Any links/references/books to learn the same..?

Thanks in advance
Ramashish Baranwal

Mick

Jul 30, 2005, 11:32:04 AM7/30/05
Do you have a sense of tone? Can you sing in key? The harmonica you bought
is a chromatic. They are great for playing around a camp fire with your
friends. They work really good for country/western and bluegrass music. Sit
in with someone playing guitar, and you can harmonize with them. Although
some have used these to play blues, most players use Diatonic (10 or 12
holes). Pick up a cheap Hohner Big River harp to learn, maybe in the key of
'C'.

"Ramashish Baranwal" <ramashi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Vortex

Jul 30, 2005, 12:42:01 PM7/30/05
Ramashish, the harmonica you bought is a "tremelo" style harp and is
not a chromatic.
Tremelo's are not the kind I personally like but you could learn on
one.
I suggest you learn to play simple melodies by ear to teach your self
where the notes are.
Depending on how much musical apptitude you have I think you could
sound decent in 6 months if you put the practise time in.

-Vortex

Nate

Jul 31, 2005, 7:09:36 AM7/31/05
> I am a beginner at harmonica and have never played any musical
> instrument before. Here are some of my questions (I am sorry if they
> sound silly to most of you)-

Ramashish Baranwal there no silly questions on this message board just
silly people and I'm one of em. And we were all learners at one stage
except Elvis, hes had a long career you know, hes been around the bend
and is bouncing back.

> Which harmonica is best for a beginner to learn? And does this factor
> matter too much? I don't know anything at all about different kind of
> harmonicas, so I got myself one which caught my attraction and its a 16
> double hole (one above the other). I would like to know how good is it
> for learning?

The best harmonica for a beginner to learn on is the one s/he can
afford. If you're lucky aunty will gift you an expensive one...my
point: don't splash out till you've done your homework, ask, ask, ask
then experiment, experiment, experiment. What do you want to learn to
do - who have you heard play harmonica and thought, Yes I like that! I
want to do that.

> Though it varies from person to person how much time does it "normally"
> take for a beginner to play decent enough (My definition of decent
> being it doesn't sound unpleasant.:-D)

Well, how about, 3-6 months to 1-2 years. Practicing daily. But then
heck you might be a star in the making and could be jammin in days!

> Any links/references/books to learn the same..?

56,000,890 in total!!!!

Please try:
http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/
http://www.harmonicasessions.com/backissues.html
http://www.harmonicalessons.com/
http://www.gindick.com/
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm
http://coast2coastmusic.com/
http://www.volcano.net/~jackmearl/

> Thanks in advance
> Ramashish Baranwal

Advance accepted!
Go well.

DanKaye

Aug 1, 2005, 3:29:31 AM8/1/05
Rock N Blues Harmonica with cd - by Jon Gindick
First, learn the camp fire songs or any song you remember from your
childhood - be aware though that SOME are difficult to play on a
diatonic harp, the notes aren't there unless you know how to bend,
etc...

But first learn how to play some simple songs - Old Macdonalds, Red
River Valley, My Country Tis of Thee...

Then work up to things like Blowin in the Wind, The Times They are a
CHangin...

Then work on somem blues sounds, just trying to copy some licks from
records...

I'm a beginner too and this is what I've done so far...

The Truth

Aug 1, 2005, 4:10:58 PM8/1/05
buy this book from www.amazon.com for best learning, it is realy great (it's
with CD):
Paul Butterfield teaches BLUES HARMONICA MASTER CLASS

Alexander Magidow

Aug 1, 2005, 5:35:54 PM8/1/05
This is actually really good advice, and primarily it's a really good
way to learn single notes. For probably the first year or so of playing
harmonica, I just played songs- some songs sound absolutely horrific on
the harmonica, but I still played them, much to my family(and my cat's)
dismay. Its a really good way to practice playing clearly without going
completely insane, and is actually pretty fun.

Granted, I don't even remember "You are my sunshine"(the first song I
learned, and the one I learned best), but I can play a mean single note.

Its more than one that I have a problem with ;-)

DanKaye

Aug 1, 2005, 10:49:08 PM8/1/05

Yes, I have this one and like it, though have not had time to delve
into it as much as I'd like.

I recommended the other one to the OP because it sounded like he
didn't have much musical background and I figured the PB cd/book was
more for someone who had some background.

But it's a great lesson book/cd, probably my favorite; although as I
said, I have not gotten deep into it yet.

Eric Stahl

Aug 2, 2005, 12:24:51 AM8/2/05
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:35:54 GMT, Alexander Magidow
<amag...@wisc.edu> wrote:

>DanKaye wrote:
>> Rock N Blues Harmonica with cd - by Jon Gindick
>> First, learn the camp fire songs or any song you remember from your
>> childhood - be aware though that SOME are difficult to play on a
>> diatonic harp, the notes aren't there unless you know how to bend,
>> etc...

Ramishish,

Good advice has been provided in those earlier postings - especially
to keep it simple initially - learning something that you enjoy, as
from childhood. Start with a diatonic 10-hole harp - not a real cheap
one.

My first song was "Oh Susanna!" - learned around a camp fire in the
Sierra Nevada Mountains no less ;-)

From there pick an album you enjoy and play along. My first choice
(and I'm dating myself :-)) was Woodstock... Love March (my second
song was by Paul Butterfield!), "Dance to the Music" and "I want to
take you higher" (Sly and the Family Stone) etc. When I got to the
point where I could jam with "I"m Going Home" (Alvin Lee) I was
ecstatic and thought I could really jam ;-)

The nice thing about harmonica is that it sounds good each step of the
way. Just carry it with you and play whenever you get the chance.
Introduce yourself to musicians and tell'em you want to learn.

Happy Trails,
Eric

Ramashish

Aug 2, 2005, 9:11:56 AM8/2/05
Thanks to all of you for your quick & enthusiastic responses.

> The best harmonica for a beginner to learn on is the one s/he can
> afford. If you're lucky aunty will gift you an expensive one...my
> point: don't splash out till you've done your homework, ask, ask, ask
> then experiment, experiment, experiment. What do you want to learn to
> do - who have you heard play harmonica and thought, Yes I like that! I
> want to do that.

Its just a hobby sort of thing, I'm a programmer and don't feel like
programming all the time:-) I don't know anything abt music but wanted
to learn some instrument, so picked harmonica as I thought it would be
comparatively easier. Also its easy to carry around and play.

I have a question- from which side does the counting of holes start in
harmonica?

T-Bone Bruce

Aug 2, 2005, 3:09:06 PM8/2/05
The holes are counted from the left hand side, so the bass notes will
be on the left. On some of the cheap tremelo harmonicas there are no
numbers at all on the coverplates. If you get a diatonic, 10 hole
harmonica from any of the major manufacturers it will have the holes
numbered. You can't actually see the numbers while playing though.
There have been a few people who played their harmonica "upside down"
with the bas notes on the right, but all the instruction books teach
the conventional way. You don't say what kind of music you plan to
learn, but there is a wide variety of music that can be played, and the
harmonica is a fun instrument. superficially it's very simple, but the
more you get into it the more you discover.
best of luck with it!
Bruce

Ramashish

Aug 3, 2005, 2:34:14 AM8/3/05
Hi Bruce,

> The holes are counted from the left hand side, so the bass notes will
> be on the left. On some of the cheap tremelo harmonicas there are no
> numbers at all on the coverplates. If you get a diatonic, 10 hole
> harmonica from any of the major manufacturers it will have the holes
> numbered. You can't actually see the numbers while playing though.

Thanks for the info. There's no numbering on my harp. But u see I
bought it without knowing anything abt it and then while looking for
how to play I came across these facts (numbering, key type etc.). Now I
think I'd better get a diatonic and a book.

> the conventional way. You don't say what kind of music you plan to
> learn, but there is a wide variety of music that can be played, and the
> harmonica is a fun instrument. superficially it's very simple, but the
> more you get into it the more you discover.

I didn't say I wanted to learn some particular kind of music just that
I wished to learn to play some instrument. I like your quote "the more
you get into it the more you discover" more so because it applies to so
many things in life.

> best of luck with it!

Thanks..

Ramashish

Jonathan Anchen

Aug 3, 2005, 5:25:20 AM8/3/05
Hi Ramashish,
My opinion is that - There is no "best" harmonica for beginner to learn
from. Your 16 hole harp sounds a like a tremolo harp and should be very
decent to start with. You can start with learning to play a few scales. Try
getting Do-Re-Mi on the harp- this will help you get a feel of what sounds
are produced when you blow into each hole. Try finding someone who can play
and listen to as much harmonica music as you can and then try replicating
it. It doesnt matter what kind of harmonica music it is. It could be Hindi
film music, blues, country whatever..

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/ - Harmonicalessons.com is a good place to
start.

Thanks
Jonathan

Ramashish

Aug 6, 2005, 4:21:11 PM8/6/05
> Hi Ramashish,
> My opinion is that - There is no "best" harmonica for beginner to learn
> from. Your 16 hole harp sounds a like a tremolo harp and should be very
> decent to start with. You can start with learning to play a few scales. Try
> getting Do-Re-Mi on the harp- this will help you get a feel of what sounds
> are produced when you blow into each hole. Try finding someone who can play
> and listen to as much harmonica music as you can and then try replicating
> it. It doesnt matter what kind of harmonica music it is. It could be Hindi
> film music, blues, country whatever..

Thanks Jonathan. Am praciticing a bit..
So have u heard/tried Hindi film musics?

-Ramashish

Keith Adams

Aug 9, 2005, 2:41:01 PM8/9/05
Nothing against you Jonathan and you probably didnt know any better but
the guy who runs that site is a real shit. The good thing is he lives
in L.A. and so do I. If and when I come across him I'm gonna fuck his
dope up..If you know him by all means tell him I said so. He deserves
some warning although thats all he's getting.

"Jonathan Anchen" <jonatha...@oracle.com> wrote in message