Leslie 122/147 Specifications

Marty Angstreich

Feb 3, 2021, 10:32:52 AM2/3/21
I am using a Kurzweil Forte for my KB3 and Leslie simulation. I know this has probably been discussed a ton of times, but I am going nowhere fast trying to find this information. I am working to tweak my simulator and I was hoping someone might have the "definitive" Leslie rotation date:

Drum Fast and Slow speeds (RPM)?
Horn Fast and Slow speeds (RPM)?

Drum Ramp Up and Ramp Down times?
Horn Ramp Up and Ramp Down times?

I know there are environmental and age variations on these numbers, but if someone knows what the ideal data is, I would really appreciate your sharing with me. Wish I could afford to own or perform with a real B3 and Leslie, but short of that I want to create the best possible sound I can. Thanks very much!

Adam Sampson

Feb 3, 2021, 1:30:04 PM2/3/21
Marty Angstreich <mrshow...@gmail.com> writes:

> Drum Fast and Slow speeds (RPM)?
> Horn Fast and Slow speeds (RPM)?
> Drum Ramp Up and Ramp Down times?
> Horn Ramp Up and Ramp Down times?

I bought a Neo Ventilator II last year, and spent a while measuring my
mid-90s (i.e. probably not "ideal") 122XB so I could match its
behaviour. For my 122XB:

Drum slow/fast speed: 38 RPM / 395 RPM
Horn slow/fast speed: 46 RPM / 405 RPM
Drum ramp up/down times: 5.5s / 4.8s
Horn ramp up/down times: 0.9s / 1.0s

Starting with the Vent's default settings, I had to decrease both slow
speed a little (the fast speed was fine), and decrease both ramp up/down
times a little. Most simulators I've tried (including the Leslie 2101)
seem to have longer ramp times than my real cab...

--
Adam Sampson <a...@offog.org> <http://offog.org/>

Lord Valve

Feb 3, 2021, 5:38:51 PM2/3/21
Here's a thought: TWEAK IT BY EAR! *You* are the one who will be listening
to the emulation more than anyone else. This is a case where "accuracy" is
irrelevant. Your audience doesn't know shit from apple butter when it comes
to nerd crap like how fast the rotor turns - can you see some wanker coming
up to the stage and saying "Hey, man - the ramp-up time on your upper rotor
is too long; that completely spoiled the whole set." Trust me - I've been playing
(and fixing) Hammonds and Leslies longer than you've been breathing.

Lord Valve
Expert (fuck you)