New verse of "This land is your land"

Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Jul 5, 2012, 1:55:39 AM7/5/12
> From: 2849 Dead <d...@gone.com>
> Published on Thursday, January 12, 2012 by Moyers & Company
> Is This Land Made for You and Me?
> by Bill Moyers and Michael Winship

But how is "2849 Dead" related to Moyers and company?

> Over the next few weeks, on the air and on our new website,
> BillMoyers.com, we<E2>ll be talking a lot about
> <E2>winner-take-all<E2> politics and how economic inequality
> <E2> the vast gap between the rich and everyone else<E2> isn<E2>t
> the result of market forces and Adam Smith<E2>s <E2>invisible
> hand.<E2> It has been deliberately, politically engineered.

Indeed, Moyers&Company (shown on KQED-World several times each
weekend) has been especially good recently. (The other really good
revealing news show on TV is Democracy Now, shown weekdays on
KQED-World.) But one big failing of Moyers, which he proclaims
openly, is that while he as a journalist tells us how bad things
are, he refuses to even suggest a beginning to any remedy. He
doesn't even acknowledge or comment on proposals that others have
made, such as my proposal at TinyURL.Com/MaasKey/TrHu

> Woody saw the ravages of the Dust Bowl and the Depression
> firsthand; his own family came unraveled in the worst hard times.
> And he wrote tough yet lyrical stories about the men and women
> who struggled to survive, enduring the indignity of living life at
> the bone, with nothing to eat and no place to sleep. ...

Today's episode of Democracy Now spent the whole hour telling such
info about Woody, the first I ever learned of it. (All I knew of
Woodie before today was that he was one of the earliest folk-song
writers, whose songs were later sung by many of the popular folk
singers probably including the Kingston Trio and Peter Paul and
Mary and maybe even some of Bob Dylan's songs?)

> Among its treasures is the original, handwritten copy of this
> song, Woody Guthrie<E2>s most famous <E2> This Land Is Your Land.

In particular, today's Democracy Now episode explained that well,
and had Pete Seeger talking about it and singing some of it.

> In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
> By the relief office I seen my people;
> As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
> Is this land made for you and me?

Indeed.

> Barack Obama asked Bruce Springsteen and Woody Guthrie<E2>s longtime
> friend Pete Seeger to sing This Land is Your Land at that big, pre-
> inaugural concert the Sunday before he was sworn in. ...

Side remark: My Google Groups search for "Woody Guthrie" turned up
your other article on that topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.rush-limbaugh/msg/695fdcd71df7bf40?hl=en&dmode=source
where I learned that Bruce Springsteen might be on our side against
Wall Street. Unfortunately I don't know any way to get his
attention to have him look at my economic reform proposals to get
his opinion about them. I don't suppose you know anyone who has his
ear?

> Today, whatever was real about that spirit has been bludgeoned by severe
> economic hardship for everyday Americans and by the cynical expedience of
> politicians who wear the red-white-and-blue in their lapels and sing
> <E2>America the Beautiful<E2> while serving the interests of
> crony capitalists stuffing SuperPACs with millions of dollars
> harvested from the gross inequality destroying us from within.

Yes. What if anything would you or Bruce like to be done to remedy it?

> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent
> revolution inevitable<E2> -JFK

Just today adbusters began advocating for violent overthrow of the
USA's government. I'd rather we first convince a majority of the
citizens that our government is indeed controlled by Wall Street
bankers and their criminal allies, and then convince that majority
that we need to vote in a completely new set of members of Congress,
but first we need to agree on a "platform" for our new candidates
to favor, otherwise we'd just be voting out one set of Wall Street
dupes and another set of Wall Street dupes in to replace them.
http://twitter.com/Adbusters/status/220550134759559168
http://twitter.com/CalRobert/status/220630042718384129

So anyway, here's what I came online to post:

Today Democracy Now had a special 8 days before Woody's 100th
birthday, telling how he composed the song "This land is your land"
in protest, which inspired me to write a new verse in a similar
spirit of protest against financial fraud:

There was a con man, named Bernie Madoff,
who promised interest, beyond all reason.
The way he did it, was called a "Ponzi",
This scam was meant for you and me.

Google-groups-search-key: imtrgfdi