"Woody Redicsovered" in Brooklyn 12/17/06

1 view

Stephen & Marilyn Suffet

Oct 16, 2006, 8:39:27 AM10/16/06
A Folk Music Society of New York, Inc. -- New York Pinewoods Folk Music
Club Special Event

WOODY REDISCOVERED
an Exploration of Woody Guthrie's Less Known Songs
with Anne Price and Steve Suffet
Brooklyn, NY
Sunday • December 17, 2006 • 4:30 to 6:30 PM

Park Slope location: 8th Avenue, near Carroll Street & Garfield Place.
Space is strictly limited and reservations are required. For
reservations, location, and directions, please call Steve at
718-786-1533 or Anne at 718-543-4971.

WOODY REDISCOVERED is an exploration of some of Woody Guthrie's less
known songs. There are more than 3,000 songs in the Woody Guthrie
Archives, and Woody recorded well over 300 of them. However, only about
30 are really well known today. In this house concert style workshop we
will introduce you to a few of Woody Guthrie's other 2,970+ songs. Some
were recorded or published in Woody's own lifetime; others were
discovered among his effects after his death. All deserve to be
recognized as the gems that they are. We will have song sheets
available, so come prepared to sing along and learn some new old songs.
For example...

Dance Around My Atom Fire
Ticky Tock
Peace Call
Two Good Men ( a Sacco and Vanzetti song)
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key
Arthritis Blues
This Morning I Am Born Again.
Peace Pin Boogie
Tin Horn Taxi
VD Blues
Why Do You Stand There in the Rain?
When the Curfew Blows
Mr. Tom Mooney Is Free
What Are We Waiting On?
Blow, Big Wind, Blow
Sixty-Six Highway Blues

.... and as many more as time permits!

The suggested donation is $12. FMSNY - NY Pinewoods members: $10.

Anne and Steve presented WOODY REDISCOVERED for the Folklore Society of
Greater Washington on September 30, and here is what two people had to
say:

"It was a pleasure hosting an informative evening like that. As I listed
to the songs combined with the show-and-tell of songbooks and albums, I
realized that it was precisely the sort of evening that makes the
Folklore Society unique as a presenter of more than just concerts for
mere entertainment." -- Charlie Baum, FSGW vice president

"I was very happy to be able to provide hospitality to you, as well as a
venue for your house concert -- which I enjoyed very much and where I
learned a great deal about Woody Guthrie that I hadn't known before. A
good sign about how much the rest of the audience also enjoyed your
concert is the fact that two people who had been there came up to me at
an old-time CD release party last night to talk with me about YOUR house
concert!" -- Kathie Mack, FSGW member and concert host

So come to Brooklyn on December 17 and find out for yourself!

Website links:
Anne Price: http://www.anneprice.com/
Steve Suffet: http://suffet.home.att.net/
Folk Music Society of New York, Inc.: http://www.folkmusicny.org/