Missing singers

takeleus

Feb 14, 2004, 7:31:01 PM2/14/04
I am wondering if any of you know what happened to some of my favorite
singers. I noticed today that Karen Apple and Doug Young are no
longer with New Speer Revival, but i can not find a posting telling
that they left to pursure other interest or what. Just
Wondering??????

David Bruce Murray

Feb 14, 2004, 10:48:00 PM2/14/04

"takeleus" <t...@cei.net> wrote in message

The soprano is gone as well. Marc Speer is the only original member left.
They're on their third bass singer, too. Young was the second, and IMO, hurt
their sound. Young should be in an all male quartet with a power lead. The
distance between him and the soprano in New Speer Revival was just way too
much, and he didn't blend with them at all. Young is a great bass singer,
though. I hope he comes back with a traditional male quartet.

Everyone was saying they'd be the "next big thing" when they first started
singing together . . . oh well.

--
David Bruce Murray / dbmu...@NOSPAMmailblocks.com
---Making hay while the sun shines---

takeleus

Feb 15, 2004, 6:30:02 PM2/15/04
"David Bruce Murray" <dbmu...@NOSPAM.mailblocks.com> wrote in message news:<4LudnV9qjZO...@pghconnect.com>...

> "takeleus" <t...@cei.net> wrote in message
> > I am wondering if any of you know what happened to some of my favorite
> > singers. I noticed today that Karen Apple and Doug Young are no
> > longer with New Speer Revival, but i can not find a posting telling
> > that they left to pursure other interest or what. Just
> > Wondering??????
>
> The soprano is gone as well. Marc Speer is the only original member left.
> They're on their third bass singer, too. Young was the second, and IMO, hurt
> their sound. Young should be in an all male quartet with a power lead. The
> distance between him and the soprano in New Speer Revival was just way too
> much, and he didn't blend with them at all. Young is a great bass singer,
> though. I hope he comes back with a traditional male quartet.
>
> Everyone was saying they'd be the "next big thing" when they first started
> singing together . . . oh well.

Tony
I agree about Doug Young he is better suited for a male quartet. I
hope that he can find another part time group to sing with. My dad
and Doug are good friends and if I hear from Doug I will let you know
what happened.

not to change directions but I also noticed that the bass singer for
the Nelons is no longer there. I know Kelly is backing off the road
some to spend more time is her local chuch maybe she could not afford
to keep a full quartet only singing a few dates a month. Have you
heard anything.

David Ching

Feb 15, 2004, 7:15:16 PM2/15/04

> not to change directions but I also noticed that the bass singer for
> the Nelons is no longer there. I know Kelly is backing off the road
> some to spend more time is her local chuch maybe she could not afford
> to keep a full quartet only singing a few dates a month. Have you
> heard anything.

The bass singer was Jason's father. He (the father) had to move to a
different city due to his wife's getting a new job (I believe as a nurse).
Therefore he had to stop travelling with the Nelons. It looks like the
group prefers to keep it within the family and remain a trio instead of
replacing him. In addition, Jason has been studying to become a minister,
and his commitments for that may be interfering with road time as well.

Before all this happened, I thought the Nelons were back to becoming the
powerhouse they once were. I wish them the best. I would continue to buy
their latest CD's except they seem to be re-releases of old songs. I hope
they come out with some new material soon.

-- David

David Bruce Murray

Feb 15, 2004, 11:50:09 PM2/15/04

"takeleus" <t...@cei.net> wrote in message

> not to change directions but I also noticed that the bass singer for
> the Nelons is no longer there. I know Kelly is backing off the road
> some to spend more time is her local chuch maybe she could not afford
> to keep a full quartet only singing a few dates a month. Have you
> heard anything.

I don't know why Kelly's father in law came off the road. I had thought
they'd settle in with that lineup for a while. You would have to think he
got a different job or something.

I did hear that Kelly and Jason had taken jobs in the music ministry at
their church and that they'd not be doing any more Sunday dates. That pretty
much establishes them as a bi-vocational group now. It will be interesting
to see if they show up on any Singing News Fan Awards ballots.

takeleus

Feb 16, 2004, 9:14:12 PM2/16/04
"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message news:<10302si...@news.supernews.com>...

Tony
Thanks for the info, I have always been a fan of the Nelons and like
you hoped they would regain their sound from the 80's - 90's. Maybe
they can have a great work in their home church. But I would love to
see them back on the road.