Sonya Isaacs Country Project

CJB

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new Country
Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I don't mean backing him up, I
mean, she's the feature! Is it true? A radio station reported it. I hope
it isn't true. I can't bear the thoughts of her crooning about cheating on
Tim Surrett, hanging out at bars, etc.

David Murray (SG Fan)

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

CJB wrote in message ...

>I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new Country
>Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I don't mean backing him up, I
>mean, she's the feature! Is it true? A radio station reported it.

I've heard she plans to do a mainstream Country release.

>I hope it isn't true.

Why? You prefer she hides her light under a bushel? This is a huge
opportunity for her, although several have tried it in the past and failed
miserably: Russ Taff and Kim Hill to name a couple. Susan Ashton is
releasing a Country album on Capitol. I think it's due to release any day
now.

>I can't bear the thoughts of her crooning about cheating on
>Tim Surrett, hanging out at bars, etc.

Me either. :o)

You know, there ARE some good wholesome lyrics on Country radio, although
there is the type you've mentioned as well. Let's hope she takes the high
road, like Vince Gill did with "Go Rest High On That Mountain" and Colin
Raye did with "What If Jesus Comes Back Like That?"

David Murray / dbmu...@deletethis.rfci.net
http://rfci.net/dbmurray
http://www.musicscribe.com
Making hay while the sun shines.

Doctor Lovable

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

CJB <BELLE...@inetone.net> wrote in message

> I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new Country
> Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I don't mean backing him up, I
> mean, she's the feature! Is it true?

Vince Gill was on Gary Chapman's TNN show about 4-6 months ago with her and
announced it then. Thusly, I would have to assume it's true.

Doc

Doctor Lovable

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

CJB <BELLE...@inetone.net> wrote in message
> I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new Country
> Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I don't mean backing him up, I
> mean, she's the feature! Is it true? A radio station reported it. I
hope
> it isn't true. I can't bear the thoughts of her crooning about cheating

SoundInvst

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

CJB <BELLE...@inetone.net> wrote in message

> I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new >Country
Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I can't bear the >thoughts of her

crooning about cheating on Tim Surrett, hanging out >at bars, etc.

Here's some things to consider: Tim has a new release out, "Mountain Home",
that is Bluegrass *and* gospel. Guests on the recording include Sonya and
Vince.

Country is *not* synonomous with "cheatin' and drinkin' songs. Case in point
is the emergence of "positive country" which covers artists like Paul
Overstreet, ect. Much of Jeff & Sherri Easter would probably fall into that
category.

I can certainly understand your concern though. To see the Oak Ridge Boys
now it's hard to believe they were once a gospel group.

I have chosen to reverence God by only performing *gospel* music in a public
forum. Gospel music is also my first choice for listening. These are my
convictions and I am happy with them, however, I understand others may not
have these convictions.

Then again, there are some "grey" areas. I sing a song, "Sixty-four Roses",
that I have said many times is not a *gospel* song, but is a *bible* song,
meaning that due to the commandment "honor thy father and mother" it seems
appropreate for church "sings".

Just some thoughts,

RM

CJB

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
The big problem here is that the message, of necessity, must be so watered
down that it won't offend. Country fans don't listen to WSM for Bible
truth. If that's true, what must be cut to "water it down"? THE PLAIN
TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL. You remember that the Bible says of itself that it
is "quick, powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword." The only way to
take the "edge" off of a gospel song, is to change the root of the message,
or obscure it in such a way that only those looking for it can find it.
Talk about hiding under a bushel! We've all heard songs that sounded like
barroom ballads with Jesus name inserted once or twice. Where's the gospel
message in that?

CJB

> I've heard she plans to do a mainstream Country release.

> You know, there ARE some good wholesome lyrics on Country radio, although

CJB

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

SoundInvst <Sound...@panola.com> wrote in message

> I have chosen to reverence God by only performing *gospel* music in a
public
> forum

See, most people I meet who sing gospel music have this philosophy, which I
think is admirable. Wouldn't it only stand to reason that a "professional"
would hold himself, or, in this case, herself, to an even higher standard.
Are money and market saturation the only things that count?

KJCSmith1

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
>I have chosen to reverence God by only performing *gospel* music in a public
>forum

That's great if that is what God is leading you to do. So why can't Sonya do
what she feels God is leading her to do?? Instead of critizing her try praying
that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

SoundInvst

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

KJCSmith1 <kjcs...@aol.com> wrote in message

> So why can't Sonya do
> what she feels God is leading her to do?? Instead of critizing her try
praying
> that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

Please, *if* you are going to cite passages from *my* posts do me the favor
of *reading* them.

If you can find anything critical of Sonya or any other artist in *my* post
please point that out for me.

In *my* post I made a reference to *my* convictions and was careful to point
out that they may not be shared by others. Personal convictions are just
that-personal. Would I expect other artist to uphold *my* convictions? No!

Please quit trying to create controversy where there is none. I have tried
to stress tolerance of others in previous posts and am not changing my
"tune" now.

RM

Leslie Moore

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

Dan Fowler

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Please!  You make it sound like only ministers have a worthwhile vocation.  What of the rest of us working at secular jobs.  I teach.  Should I only teach in church??  We need Godly ditchdiggers just like we need Godly ministers.  If Sonya can uphold the name of Jesus and be both witness and example in the world, more power to her!

Dan
I do not know why some gospel singers try to play both sides of the
fence,one day  be singers for God, then  for the world,just as to say
[good God,good devil].

CJB

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

> >I have chosen to reverence God by only performing *gospel* music in a
public
> >forum
>

> That's great if that is what God is leading you to do. So why can't Sonya

do
> what she feels God is leading her to do?? Instead of critizing her try
praying
> that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

What if Les Beasley decided, instead of regular cigarettes, that he would
start smoking marijuana, would you argue that God was leading him to smoke
a joint? Just because someone historically linked to Gospel music does
something doesn't mean it's God's will. See, you remember when I expressed
my disagreement with JD Sumner singing with Elvis. One thing, though. At
least JD still sang Gospel songs. That's why so many people wrote that the
Lord had used JD's time with Elvis. The same old Gospel songs were being
sung.

Now, when a current/former Gospel singer sings Country music, it's not the
same as singing Gospel music. It doesn't lift up the Lord. God has used
many people, even animals, with questionable credentials to declare his
word. However, his Word must be proclaimed if the message is to have any
eternal benefit. If I sing about Jesus, his message goes forth. If I sing
about anything else, it's a step down. I could sing about elephants, or
potatoes, or jet airplanes, and while there's nothing evil about any of
those things, they aren't the Gospel.

With God as my witness, every time I have the opportunity to proclaim the
Gospel on a large scale like the Isaacs have had, I'm going to do it!
There's no time to waste in these last days playing footsie with the world.

Now that everyone thinks I'm mean spirited, let me prove you wrong. I can
honestly say that if Sonya Isaacs comes back to her senses, I'll listen to
her. I don't think that anyone should be written off permanently, but I do
believe repentance should be a prerequisite to forgiveness. Last week I
sang on the stage on the same mic as a prominent former country singer.
This individual sang in country for ten years. Yet, I'll gladly forgive and
restore one who repents and returns to the path of right. Same mic, same
stage, same part, prestigious platform. And I'll do it again, but I cannot
support someone in their path away from the Lord's service.

Lastly, why do you KJCSmith1 insist that everyone who disagrees with you
needs to get a prayer life or get right with the Lord?

CJB

CJB

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
The key word is Godly, Mr. Fowler.  How can something promote evil and be good.  I'm thankful for Godly teachers.  But there are some vocations that, if a person was Godly, they would forsake.  What if a pornographer got saved.  Would you argue that they're only doing their job.  What if an abortionist got saved.  Should they continue the murder of the unborn just to get a paycheck?

Dan Fowler

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
I hope you're not equating the singing of one kind of music with pornography or murder.  That's quite a stretch.  Why should someone "repent" of doing something that is neither sinful nor against God?

SoundInvst

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Why I am "accusing" you of is this:

> Instead of critizing her try
>praying
> that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

Sound familiar? Once again if you can find *anywhere* that I critisized
Sonya or anyone else please enlighten me.

>DUHHHH
>GEEZZZ

Any other words of wisdom?

RM

john roeder

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
The problem is, whether we like it or not, whether it is fair or not,
Southern Gospel fans will not support an artist once they have done a cross
over album.

CJB <BELLE...@inetone.net> wrote in message

> I was told this week that Sonya Isaacs Surrett has recorded a new Country

> Project in conjunction with Vince Gill. I don't mean backing him up, I
> mean, she's the feature! Is it true? A radio station reported it. I
hope

> it isn't true. I can't bear the thoughts of her crooning about cheating

SoundInvst

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

> That part was to the person who was critisizing her....did I say it was
> you...DUHHHHHH nope sure didn't
>
> GEZZZZZZZZZZZZ chill

When you include something I posted in with your reply, I think you would
say, it was inferred.

But when make light of my convictions(DUHHHH) I think it's more of a case of
type first, think later.

Chill Ya Later,
RM

David Murray (SG Fan)

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

CJB wrote in message ...

>SoundInvst <Sound...@panola.com> wrote in message
>

>> I have chosen to reverence God by only performing *gospel* music in a
>public
>> forum
>
>See, most people I meet who sing gospel music have this philosophy, which I
>think is admirable. Wouldn't it only stand to reason that a "professional"
>would hold himself, or, in this case, herself, to an even higher standard.

Not necessarily. It's a matter of conviction for one thing. We aren't all
alike, and we aren't all intended to be in the same area. It's also a matter
of being salt in the area you are in. If God opened this opportunity up for
Sonya Isaacs, and He wants her involved in Country music, you're treading on
dangerous ground to question His will. However, if His will was for her to
pass on the opportunity that was provided, and she's doing it anyway, that's
her problem!

I prefer to assume that she's considered this seriously, which I'm sure she
has. (She's been getting offers like this for a few years now.) I'm assuming
she's prayed about it, and I'm assuming she feels this is God's will for her
right now. I wish her the best.

>Are money and market saturation the only things that count?

Obviously not. See above.

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>Please, *if* you are going to cite passages from *my* posts do me the favor
>of *reading* them.

I did *read* them. And it seems like you were saying she shouldn't be doing
this.

>Personal convictions are just
>that-personal.

DUHHHH!!!! That is why I said if this is what God leads you to do great!!!

>Please quit trying to create controversy where there is none

I'm not trying to create anything. It seems just because I don't agree with
you that you seem to want to accuse me of something I have not done. I was
stating my opinon just as you were. If you don't agree great!!! But don't
accuse me of something I didn't do.

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>What if Les Beasley decided, instead of regular cigarettes, that he would
>start smoking marijuana, would you argue that God was leading him to smoke
>a joint?

Like with Sonya it would be between Les and God....I don't know Les's heart.
All we each can do is do what God leads us each to do.

> Just because someone historically linked to Gospel music does
>something doesn't mean it's God's will.

It also doesn't mean that God can't use them somewhere else.

> See, you remember when I expressed
>my disagreement with JD Sumner singing with Elvis. One thing, though. At
>least JD still sang Gospel songs.

Just as Sonya does.

>Now, when a current/former Gospel singer sings Country music, it's not the
>same as singing Gospel music. It doesn't lift up the Lord.

That is your opinon. It may not to you.....but there are few Country singers
that sing gospel songs that bless me just as much as gospel singers do.

>Lastly, why do you KJCSmith1 insist that everyone who disagrees with you
>needs to get a prayer life or get right with the Lord?

Boy do you read things into posts that aren't there. I never said that anyone
doesn't agree with me they need to get a prayer life or get right with the
Lord. You sure like to twist things that were said and make the say the
complete opposite don't you. I said if you don't like what she is doing to
pray for her.....that doesn't say you need to get a prayer life or get right
with God. GEEZZZZZZZ....

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>The problem is, whether we like it or not, whether it is fair or not,
>Southern Gospel fans will not support an artist once they have done a cross
>over album.

You may not....but there are some that will!! I still by Oaks and Statler
recordings and bought the recording that the Thrasher Brothers did.

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>Sound familiar? Once again if you can find *anywhere* that I critisized
>Sonya or anyone else please enlighten me.

That part was to the person who was critisizing her....did I say it was

Leslie Moore

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

john roeder

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Check the history of the genre. When the Oak Ridge Boys did a secular show
with, I believe it was Johnny Cash, their booking agent dropped them like
hot potatoes. For the next year they had to do their own booking because no
one would sign them. This was one of the reasons that they left gospel. They
were not able to make it financially.

No. I don't have a personal problem as long as the out of genre project is
not degenerate. We must deal with an industry that is business as well as
faith.

KJCSmith1 <kjcs...@aol.com> wrote in message

CJB

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
TRUE! Thank you for expanding (explaining) my point of view.

CJB

john roeder <john....@nashville.com> wrote in message

> The problem is, whether we like it or not, whether it is fair or not,
> Southern Gospel fans will not support an artist once they have done a
cross
> over album.

CJB

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Style of music is one thing, lyrical content is another.  Country music was built upon cheatin', drinkin', shackin' up songs.  For a Christian to promote that type of lifestyle sounds pretty sinful to me.  But to clear up my point about abortion and pornographers, (see post below) I was just using that as an illustration of some other things that a Christian shouldn't be involved in.  I don't believe there is a direct parallel.  Sorry for the confusion.

CJB

CJB

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

KJCSmith1 <kjcs...@aol.com> wrote in message

Instead of critizing her try praying
> that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

Here are your words. YOUR WORDS. Still want to tell everyone that you
weren't suggesting a lack of prayer on my part? Thanks for making it so
plain that everyone on the newsgroup could see it. (By the way, from the
sound of things, I'm not the only person on the group that thinks you have
flamed them. Just admit it and we'll all consider it an apology)

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

>David Murray / dbmu...@deletethis.rfci.net>wrote:

I prefer to assume that she's considered this seriously, which I'm sure she
>has. (She's been getting offers like this for a few years now.) I'm assuming
>she's prayed about it, and I'm assuming she feels this is God's will for her
>right now. I wish her the best.

David that is the point I was trying to make. That she has to do what God is
leading her to do. All CJB seems to want to do is argue. I met Sonya a couple
of years ago when they were at our church and got to visit with her for quite a
while. She made the comment of not making major life changing decisions
without first lots of prayer, seeking God's will on the matter, not to mention
discussing with family.

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
> Instead of critizing her try praying
>> that God will lead her in the way HE wants her to go.

What is wrong with saying to pray for someone????????? Nothing is wrong with
it. If you don't like what she is doing don't condemn her pray for her. Is
that saying you don't have a prayer life....NO is not. It is saying instead of
putting someone down just pray for them.

Thanks for making it so clear that all YOU want to do is argue.

KJCSmith1

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>But when make light of my convictions(DUHHHH) I think it's more of a case of
>type first, think later.

Wasn't making light of your convections!!! Take a chill pill...and chill

SoundInvst

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

KJCSmith1 <kjcs...@aol.com> wrote in message:

>, not to mention discussing with family.

Funny you should mention that 'cause unless Joe has changed his mind-

"She's had countless offers to do other <music> but I believe she's right
where God wants her to be" -Joe Isaacs on stage with Sonya and the group.

But, Joe also said in a song:

"If prayin' don't help them, it surely won't hurt them,
but, runnin' them down could hurt them for life"

RM

SoundInvst

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

KJCSmith1 <kjcs...@aol.com> wrote in message:

>Take a chill pill.

A person could easily over-dose on this ng. <g>

RM

CJB

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

"All CJB seems to want to do is argue"

Look! I never started this thread to be argumentative. If you'll go back
to the original postings, you'll find that no one was argumentative until
this KJCSmith1 chick posted this awful, flaming post "dissing" my humble
opinion (and others). There have been others who have agreed with me. I
just seemed to be the one answering when counterpoints were made.

john roeder

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Ain't religion fun?

Sounds for all the world like an old fashioned denominational doctrine
squabble.
I remember those from when I was growing up. The group my parents belonged
to attacked everybody.
There wasn't enough faith and love there to even get started to heaven.

By the way. I just came across this group and do not know everyone's
background.
Are most of you fans, critics, theologians, performers, etc?
Just wondering.

SoundInvst <Sound...@panola.com> wrote in message

dary...@webtv.net

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
OK, here's my two cents worth. Yes, Sonya has recorded a country album.
The first single to country radio is called "On My Way to You" written
by Sonya and Tim Mensey ( a great writer). The song is wonderful. It's
one of those songs that can mean love to another, or love to God. But
it's great.

As for her calling, I think it's very narrow of people to question her
motives or refuse to support her because of this. I still believe it's
the sick that need a physician. She has the opportunity to influence
people within the country industry that might not be reached any other
way. And I don't mean with "watered down" lyrics. I mean by living a
dedicated Christian life within the country music industry. Believe me,
it's much easier to walk the talk around other Christians all the time.
It takes great courage and strength to live for God in the lion's den.
Maybe God called her there because she could do a good work and not
falter. Maybe she was chosen to be "in the world and not of the world"
because of her strength, character, and courage.

I, for one, would much rather see Sonya Issacs
sing love songs and live to influence and win lost country music
industry people and fans, than to keep her all to ourselves singing
gospel songs and treating "our" music like it's some exclusive club and
everything outside of it is treason.

Don't treat her like she is a country music singer disguised as a
missionary. She just may be the other way around.

KJCSmith1

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
>f you'll go back
>to the original postings, you'll find that no one was argumentative until
>this KJCSmith1 chick posted this awful, flaming post "dissing" my humble
>opinion (and others).

I didn't diss anyone or flame anyone....I stated my opinon just like you and
YOU jumped all over me because I didn't agree with yours. You accused me of
saying that you needed to get a prayer life or get right with God....which
neither of is what I said.

>There have been others who have agreed with me.

Goody Goody.....people have agreed with me also.

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/10/99 11:10:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
sound...@panola.com writes:

<< "She's had countless offers to do other <music> but I believe she's right
where God wants her to be" -Joe Isaacs on stage with Sonya and the group.

Joe Isaacs isn't singing with the group anymore. I also heard Joe Isaacs say
the same thing about Sonya. He said it from the stage about 2 or 3 years
ago. He told the crowd about 3 times that Sonya had been offered several
contracts, but had turned them down, because she wanted to only sing on
gospel music. I haven't said anything on this subject until now. I am not
going to make any judgement on Sonya Isaacs specifically. What she does is
between her and God. But, what I cannot understand is how a singer or groups
can sing night after night about God and his love and the hope we all have in
Christ for many years, and then, switch to country music. I don't mind
Christian Country or Positive Country, which is what I have been told her
album is. If a Christian does sing about cheating. drinking, etc, then I do
feel that it does hurt their witness for the Lord. I work for a sgm radio
station. I have worked there for almost 11 years. many times I have
considered switching to secular radio. In fact, I have been made several
offers. But, each time I have considered what my level of ministering would
be. If I were in secular music radio, I would have no ministry. I would
rather play the Crabb Family singing "Please Forgive Me" any day of the week,
rather than play "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. BUT, what
works for me, may not work for someone else. If I have a problem with
Sonya's new musical direction, then, it is my choice to pray for her and not
condem her.
thanx!
John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/11/99 1:05:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
belle...@inetone.net writes:

<< you'll find that no one was argumentative until
this KJCSmith1 chick >>

My God! Is this a "Christian" list? This is suppose to be about the best
kind of music this side of heaven. All I keep reading is putting certain
ones down. Why doesn't everyone drop this crazy crap? For days now this has
went on. I realize that lists like these are meant for discussion, but
continually being rude is totally uncalled for. Does this list have a
"moderator"? Everyone has a right to their opinion. I normally find at
least one thing to agree with every posting. Not always, but normally. So,
go ahead and bad mouth me. I'm sure at least one or two will. Perhaps
everyone, including me, should pray before we post a message. I'm not trying
to be self righteous, I'm just tired of this junk now going on for days. Of
all the lists that I belong to, this is the most meanest spirited one I know
of. I am the music director at a southern gospel music radio station and I
like hearing people's opinions on different aspects of our music. So, here
is a question for all. What is your involvement with sgm? Are you a singer,
fan, radio person, musician? How long have you been?

TB

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
I have only answered a few posts in this newsgroup in about 5
years. However, I have been a faithful reader. I have many
SGM group members as friends of our family. I also am an
elementary school teacher. This whatever you want to call
it--(voicing a personal opinion, stating fact, etc...) is
nothing but plain old bickering back and forth. It makes me
even embarrassed to read it-----so--I am going to do what I
feel the Lord is leading me to do and that is UNSUBSCRIBE. I
can now see why when I first started reading that there were
maybe a dozen posts a week. Goodness, I would rather read a
dozen decent SGM posts than to read all this garbage.

It is just like my class at school--"he said' "She said"
"well, I think they should have said" We listen to what
others say--it is there opinion and we respect their right to
voice their own opinion. I even tell 2nd graders--If you can
not say something NICE to someone;well, then don't say
anything at all.

One thing that was said that I can agree with and it
should be left at that-Whatever ANYONE on the face of this
earth chooses to do is between them and their God-----No
amount of criticism or bad mouthing will have an effect on
their actions-Only conviction from our Father.

I wish everyone in this group a wonderful and happy end to
'99 and an even better 2000.

God bless you all and you will be in my prayers,
TB

KJCSmith1

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
>Perhaps
>everyone, including me, should pray before we post a message.

Better watch it John, or you will be accused of telling people that they need a
prayer life or need to get right with God. When I suggest that they pray for
someone that is what happened. I got accused of something I never said.

> So, here
>is a question for all. What is your involvement with sgm

I have been a big fan of Southern Gospel Music all my life! As a teenager all
my friends thought my mother was so mean dragging me to Gospel
Concerts.....what they didn't know it was the other way around....I drugged her
to the concerts.

KJ

KJCSmith1

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
>. What she does is
>between her and God.

That's what I have been saying. But got attacked for it.

> If I have a problem with
>Sonya's new musical direction, then, it is my choice to pray for her and not
>condem her.

That is the point I have been trying to make, if you don't like her decision
then pray for her. But then I get accused of telling people they need a prayer
life which not what that says at all.

KJCSmith1

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
> She has the opportunity to influence
>people within the country industry that might not be reached any other
>way. And I don't mean with "watered down" lyrics. I mean by living a
>dedicated Christian life within the country music industry. Believe me,
>it's much easier to walk the talk around other Christians all the time.
>It takes great courage and strength to live for God in the lion's den.
>Maybe God called her there because she could do a good work and not
>falter. Maybe she was chosen to be "in the world and not of the world"
>because of her strength, character, and courage.
>
>I, for one, would much rather see Sonya Issacs
>sing love songs and live to influence and win lost country music
>industry people and fans, than to keep her all to ourselves singing
>gospel songs and treating "our" music like it's some exclusive club and
>everything outside of it is treason.
>
>Don't treat her like she is a country music singer disguised as a
>missionary. She just may be the other way around.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/11/99 12:34:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
kjcs...@aol.com writes:

<< my friends thought my mother was so mean dragging me to Gospel
Concerts. >>

I always wanted to go, but my parents couldn't afford to go to very many. We
were dirt poor! I am very priveleged to get to go now.

john roeder

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
I was a 7th and 8th grade Art teacher in the Nashville, TN public schools. I
was under a years of service rather than an age retirement plan, so I
retired. I now have a quartet, GloryLand, that sings out of the greater
Nashville, TN area. I write most of the songs that we do. Because of money,
er....the lack of money, we have not made an album yet. We are playing
anywhere we can and saving up for our first album.

Another question for the more experienced people. Are dates played by
Southern Gospel groups called gigs? Somehow this doesn't seem to command the
respect it should. There are problems with calling them performances or
concerts as some look at these as personal periods of worship and not just
Christian entertainment.

John R.

> I am the music director at a southern gospel music radio station and I

> like hearing people's opinions on different aspects of our music. So,
here

> is a question for all. What is your involvement with sgm? Are you a
singer,
> fan, radio person, musician? How long have you been?
> thanx!

Sloop John B.

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
>What is your involvement with sgm? Are you a singer,
>fan, radio person, musician? How long have you been?
>thanx!
>John

I'm a big fan of SGM and have sang specials in church with my family. I play
the guitar..mostly acoustic. I'm new to this newsgroup, but I see the same
"differences of opinion" posts here as else where.

Here is hoping for more music content and fewer squables.

"Sloop" John B
TheDe...@aol.com

=Bob=

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
When we perform, we do alot of testimony
and some prayer. We like to talk to people.
Although we call them gigs at home, we
refer to them as engagements when we
speak to the public.

=Bob=

:
: Another question for the more experienced people. Are dates played by
: Southern Gospel groups called gigs? Somehow this doesn't seem to command
the
: respect it should. There are problems with calling them performances or
: concerts as some look at these as personal periods of worship and not just
: Christian entertainment.
:
: John R.
:
: > I am the music director at a southern gospel music radio station and I
: > like hearing people's opinions on different aspects of our music. So,
: here

: > is a question for all. What is your involvement with sgm? Are you a

: singer,
: > fan, radio person, musician? How long have you been?
: > thanx!
: > John

: >
: >
: > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

:
:

Royce Alverson

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
my opinion on this issue:

You're either Gospel or Country.....

He said Lukewarm doesn't cut it...

I know that some are gonna say this is great opportunity for
her to minister to non-christians... but I feel that she can do
more for the Lord singing SGM only!

Just my opinion.

Royce

Don Sccott

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
This thread seems kinda funny to me. Discussing what someone else is or is
not called to do for God, and if by doing something that is not purely
associated with Church work is a bad thing. Seems that the Pharisees kinda
had some similar opinions.

As I read through this thread, I keep thinking about a young man that did
much of the book keeping for our church while he attended college. When he
graduated and became an accountant, he was still willing to do the books for
the church. You know, not one person in the church had any problem with
that at all. No one told him that if he was going to keep secular books,
then he couldn't also keep the church books.

Obviously, many here do not share my views on this subject, but I think it
is far better for a Gospel singer to also sing secular music (providing it
is appropriate) than for them to sing Gospel music only, but live a lie. I
have known those that are in the field of Gospel for the "fame" and money.
Granted, most don't make that much, but it is a lot easier than a day job.

I hope that some here will ease up on her a bit and wait till they hear what
music she is performing. It would be a shame if the Pharisees of today
stopped someone with such talent from using it for God altogether, just
because she also sings other songs.

Royce Alverson wrote in message
<2FVC3.45063$G4.4...@news5.giganews.com>...

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/13/99 6:23:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
orp...@sedona.net writes:

<< No one told him that if he was going to keep secular books,
then he couldn't also keep the church books. >>

Don,
Please don't take offense to my posting now. I am not tring to be hateful.
But, I think that there is a whole world of difference between "keeping
books" and "singing on stage". When you are keeping the books, you are in
front of thousands of people 4 or 5 times a week. Most of the time, you are
sitting in you own little office with an adding machine. I know a lot more
is involved with bookeeping.
My children love Sonya Isaacs. At ten years old they are asking why she is
switching to country music, whether it be positive or non-positive.
I do have a question. People say that christians who sing secular music can
reach more people for the Lord. My question is, "how?" Has anyone on this
list ever been to a secular concert by a secular artist who professes to be a
christian actually ever saw any "real" ministrying going on? Just because
they sing 1, 2 or 3 gospel songs with their 20 secular songs, is not
ministrying in my view.
These christians who sing secular music may very well be wonderful
christians. If they want to perform secular, great! But, be honest about
it! You sing secular music because that is where the real music and fame is.
Don't call it ministrying to the unsaved world.
These are just my opinions! I am not God! There is just one! He will have
the last say on this matter and all other matters.

Don Scott

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

Doctor Lovable wrote in message ...

>Don Sccott <orp...@sedona.net> wrote in message

>. I
>> have known those that are in the field of Gospel for the "fame" and
money.
>> Granted, most don't make that much, but it is a lot easier than a day
job.

>REALLY????????????? Guess your day job must be a mattress tester for
the
>Sealy Posturpedic folks!!!
>
>hehehe :)))
>
>Doc

Well,

I used to work as a Manager for a bank and the hours I kept were extremely
hard. (80+ per week)
Now I am able to pursue music and although it can be hard work, it is MUCH
easier than the grind I was previously in.

Don

Don Scott

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

Hell...@aol.com wrote in message <15535c7a...@aol.com>...

>In a message dated 9/13/99 6:23:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
>orp...@sedona.net writes:
>
><< No one told him that if he was going to keep secular books,
> then he couldn't also keep the church books. >>
>Don,
>Please don't take offense to my posting now. I am not tring to be hateful.

No offense whatsoever. :-)

>But, I think that there is a whole world of difference between "keeping
>books" and "singing on stage". When you are keeping the books, you are in
>front of thousands of people 4 or 5 times a week. Most of the time, you
are
>sitting in you own little office with an adding machine. I know a lot more
>is involved with bookeeping.

My point is that many people can work in ministry and also in the secular
world. Several on this thread have stated that if she does country music,
she can never do Gospel again. That is the attitude I found disturbing. I
would hope she would continue to do Gospel even while doing some country.

>My children love Sonya Isaacs. At ten years old they are asking why she is
>switching to country music, whether it be positive or non-positive.
>I do have a question. People say that christians who sing secular music
can
>reach more people for the Lord. My question is, "how?" Has anyone on this
>list ever been to a secular concert by a secular artist who professes to be
>christian actually ever saw any "real" ministrying going on? Just because
>they sing 1, 2 or 3 gospel songs with their 20 secular songs, is not
>ministrying in my view.

I don't necessarily agree that a country singer can minister to more people.
Depends on the opportunities they have and if theytake advantagfe of them.
But one thing that I do believe is that any ministry done from a country
stage is more likely to fall on the ears of the unsaved than that done at
most of the SGM concerts. WEhile there is nothing wrong with ministering to
fellow Christians, if that is your audience there are not a tremendous
number of non-christians present.

>These christians who sing secular music may very well be wonderful
>christians. If they want to perform secular, great! But, be honest about
>it! You sing secular music because that is where the real music and fame
is.

The fame yes, but not the real music. The real music is given by God to
those He calls into this type of ministry. Country (and all other forms of
secular music) is just an immitation. While it does have its own style
(developed over the years) it all came forth from the early Hymns of those
like Isaac Watts, etc.

> Don't call it ministrying to the unsaved world.
>These are just my opinions! I am not God! There is just one! He will
have
>the last say on this matter and all other matters.
>thanx!

Absolutely !!! God is the only one that can judge the hearts or
motivations of man. Whether they are doing Gospel music from the wrong
motivations, or are doing other forms of music, but walking in the Spirit is
only for Him to say. (Not counting those doing obviously obscene lyrics.
etc.)

Thank you for your reply, and your thoughts.

Don

Doctor Lovable

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

Doctor Lovable

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

<Hell...@aol.com> wrote in message news:15535c7a...@aol.com...

.
> I do have a question. People say that christians who sing secular music
can
> reach more people for the Lord. My question is, "how?" Has anyone on
this
> list ever been to a secular concert by a secular artist who professes to
be a
> christian actually ever saw any "real" ministrying going on? Just because
> they sing 1, 2 or 3 gospel songs with their 20 secular songs, is not
> ministrying in my view.

In Theory, the answer to the question was answered by J.D. Sumner when he
said, " Last night we opened for Elvis and sang Gospel songs to 25,000
unsaved. Down the road, the Goodman's sang to 700 christians. Who heard
more gospel last nite?"

I agree with you completely, that we shouldn't say Sonya is going to
"minister". However, perhaps reading "somebody's" <grin> bio will shed a
new light on your thought .........

I quote .... "But, late at night, when my friends were gone and I was by
myself, I would put on one of my LP's or tapes and listen to that good ole
sgm! Talk
about being under conviction! I'd sit there higher than a kite, listening
sgm, just bawling my eyes out! I thank God for sgm back then. It kept a
small piece of my heart soft enough for God to work with."

Now, what if a person like this who was "into all kinds of things that they
shouldn't be into" goes to a Sonya Isaacs concert and hears Sonya sing a
gospel song or two??????????????

Just a thot

Doc

M. Elden Gaines

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
> I don't necessarily agree that a country singer can minister to more
people.
> Depends on the opportunities they have and if theytake advantagfe of them.
> But one thing that I do believe is that any ministry done from a country
> stage is more likely to fall on the ears of the unsaved than that done at
> most of the SGM concerts. WEhile there is nothing wrong with ministering
> fellow Christians, if that is your audience there are not a tremendous
> number of non-christians present.

I wish to disagree. There is hardly a church service, gospel sing,
homecoming, or even a revival that I preach at, or where our quartet sings
where I don't talk with people who are unsaved. Some have it in their blood
since they were exposed as children, but just aren't living for the Lord.
Some are married to a Christian spouse and tag along outwardly out of
faithfulness and showing interest in what their other half is doing, but
secretly they are convicedt each and every time and cannot bring themselves
to break the "silver cord." Some are children who must tag along with mom
and dad, whether performers or not. Some are parents and other family
members who attend because of family pride, or whatever. What I'm trying to
say is that there are always many present in gospel music events who are
unsaved, some secretly backslidden or curiosity seekers, etc. So it is not
just preaching to the choir, or singing to the saints.

In the Master's love and service,

Elden

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/14/99 6:32:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
drlovable...@yahoo.com writes:

<< Now, what if a person like this who was "into all kinds of things that
they
shouldn't be into" goes to a Sonya Isaacs concert and hears Sonya sing a
gospel song or two?????????????? >>

Doc!
Not fair! Using my words against me! :):)
I'm not saying it would never help. I'm just saying it depends how far out
someone gets with the "secular" music. The music I would listen to was all
religious music. If there had been part country or rock, it would have made
me want to "party" up, regardless if there were 2 or 3 gospel songs included.
Those songs may have very well touched my heart, but it was far more
effective being all gospel. I'm not picking on anyone, and for sure, not
Sonya. I absolutely love her singing. I wish her the very best and I
sincerely hope that she will let her light shine so bright that many souls
and lives will be touched.
thanx!

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/14/1999 7:02:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
orp...@sedona.net writes:

<< The fame yes, but not the real music. >>

Doc,
That was a typing error! I meant to say that is where the real fame and
MONEY is! I did not meant to say the real music. I am really sorry for that
flub up!

Hell...@aol.com

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
to alt.music.go...@list.deja.com
In a message dated 9/15/1999 1:17:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
mega...@rocketmail.com writes:

<< there are always many present in gospel music events who are
unsaved, some secretly backslidden or curiosity seekers, etc. So it is not
just preaching to the choir, or singing to the saints. >>

AMEN!

Leslie Moore

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Leslie Moore

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

Diahann Click

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Well, I have done much thinking about this post and I would like to add
my opinion after all.

I am 26 years old, and have grown up listening to Southern Gospel Music
all my life. To me that is the best music EVER, however, I also to enjoy
country music. That doesnt mean I am a sinner, that doesnt mean I am
going to Hell, or that my mansion will be any smaller....simply what
that means is I love a variety of music, and I love the Lord very dearly
at the same time.

Although I am not very familiar with Sonya's singing, I have heard her,
she is a very talented young lady, and yes, I would prefer her singing
Southern Gospel....

BUT.......

Not ALL Country Music is about cheating and drinking. I could sit down
write now and write a country song and it would never have ANYTHING in
it about sitting on a bar stool somewhere drinking a beer, and then
going home with the bartender.

As a matter of fact, my uncle sang "Keeper of the Stars" at my wedding,
a VERY famous country song. Now does that song have anything in it about
cheating on my husband? No, otherwise he would have left me standing
there at the alter....lol

I do however respect eveyones opinion, and do hope that whatever road
Sonya takes in the future that she has done it based on what the LORD
wants for her.

God Bless each and every one of you.
Diahann Click

PS Now if she had decided to sing Heavy Metal, I would NOT have been
HAPPY!

Leslie Moore

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99