Married & Crossed Over

Shawn Pennington

Aug 25, 2004, 7:49:35 AM8/25/04
Just curious how many Southern Gospel singers have married someone from
another group and then crossed over to join the group of their spouse?
What effect did this have on the two groups?

I'm fairly certain that Kim Hopper is one example, having been with The
Greens (I think) prior. She is a tremendous asset to the Hoppers and I
imagine that her family group certainly hated to see her go.

Could probably think of other examples on my own, but just trying to
generate an on-topic topic. :-)

Paul Slopak, Jr.

Aug 25, 2004, 9:42:50 AM8/25/04
Yes, but then again Tony would probably not have ever married TaRanda.
How about Sonja Isaacs Surrett. She married Tim. She crossed over to country
music against his advice. He divorced her and went back to the Kingsmen.

"Shawn Pennington" <smpe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Man

Aug 25, 2004, 9:14:46 AM8/25/04
He probably didn't like it cause she was actually running with a decent
bunch of people. <g>

"Paul Slopak, Jr." <pauls...@insightbb.com> wrote in message

Greg Taylor

Aug 25, 2004, 10:34:02 AM8/25/04
Is that really how it happened? That seems to be an over-simplified
reason for divorce.

I don't hear alot about the country recording Sonya did, but I still see
her performing SG (actually country/bluegrass gospel) with her family
and writing, or co-writing, some pretty decent gospel songs.

I think there is a mindset in country and bluegrass music that it's okay
to do secular along with religious. I'm not particularly fond of that
attitude because I think the temptation to try to follow fame and
fortune and make compromises in secular is stronger.

Personally I think staying in gospel is taking the high road, but that's
my opinion.

Didn't her father go back in to secular?

Just Allan

Aug 25, 2004, 11:19:58 AM8/25/04
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:42:50 GMT, "Paul Slopak, Jr."
<pauls...@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Yes, but then again Tony would probably not have ever married TaRanda.
>How about Sonja Isaacs Surrett. She married Tim. She crossed over to country
>music against his advice. He divorced her and went back to the Kingsmen.

1995-2002 - that's 7 years - I keep my cars longer than that! What a
true disgrace some of these people are.

Allan.

David Bruce Murray

Aug 25, 2004, 11:32:19 AM8/25/04

"Greg Taylor" <gta...@umd.umich.edu> wrote in message

> I think there is a mindset in country and bluegrass music that it's okay
> to do secular along with religious. I'm not particularly fond of that
> attitude because I think the temptation to try to follow fame and
> fortune and make compromises in secular is stronger.

The attitude in bluegrass is that they do gospel because it's so much a part
of that style. I've heard very few fans criticize a bluegrass artist for
doing gospel. In fact, almost all of them do some gospel as a regular part
of their show, and almost all primarily gospel bluegrass groups will do some
secular instrumentals at the very least. Of course, very few of the lyrics
in bluegrass are as offensive as some of the stuff you might hear in
Country, so it's not like they're "glorifying" a worldly lifestyle. That's
what I like about bluegrass as a style. It's about as clean cut as you can
get and it draws people who normally wouldn't want to hear a gospel song. If
all secular music were as wholesome as 90% of bluegrass, you wouldn't hear
many complaints about secular music.

Country and Southern Gospel crossover artists are criticized because the two
really aren't compatible lyricwise. There's an abundance of themes that run
thru Country that are counter to the Gospel. Yes, a Southern Gospel artist
can have a very Country sound as long as they continue to sing gospel
lyrics. Groups like the Martins, Jeff and Sheri, and the Crabb Family
demonstrate this. Yes, there are many harmless secular Country songs that
are no more offensive than secular bluegrass songs. However, the perception
of a George Jones singing "B double E double R - U - N" on one recording and
"Oh Come Angel Band" on another is too much contrast for most fans to
accept, and rightly so, IMO.

When someone like Sonya Isaacs wants to try their hand in the Country
market, I always hope to see them succeed without compromising their gospel
lyrics. Unfortunately, the marketing, production, song selection, etc.,
always falls thru at some point. You can't slap a record together in two or
three weeks and have anyone listen to in on major Country radio like you can
in Southern Gospel.

--
David Bruce Murray / dbmu...@NOSPAMmailblocks.com
---Making hay while the sun shines---

RayDunakin

Aug 25, 2004, 9:32:26 PM8/25/04
David, I must say I always enjoy reading your posts. They are always
well-reasoned, and you seem to have a great deal of insight into the music
business.

David Bruce Murray

Aug 26, 2004, 12:42:04 AM8/26/04

"RayDunakin" <raydu...@aol.com> wrote in message

> David, I must say I always enjoy reading your posts. They are always
> well-reasoned, and you seem to have a great deal of insight into the music
> business.

Thank you Ray. That's very kind of you to say . . . now if I could get
someone to start paying me for what I think . . . :o)

Man

Sep 1, 2004, 10:04:58 AM9/1/04

"David Bruce Murray" <dbmu...@NOSPAM.mailblocks.com> wrote in message

> You can't slap a record together in two or
> three weeks

Weeks? You must be in them "big money" projects. Most SG projects slapped
together in 2-3 DAYS.

David Bruce Murray

Sep 1, 2004, 1:46:09 PM9/1/04

"Man" <manws...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, I was allowing some time for the song selection process before they
actually go to the studio . . . you know, from the initial meeting with the
producer until they're down to cutting tracks and mixing . . . but then
again, you're probably closer to it than I am!

Man

Sep 2, 2004, 11:33:50 AM9/2/04

> but then
> again, you're probably closer to it than I am!

Not any more.