Worst genesis song ever

Frank Yeske

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
worst is any track on CAS.

HAROLD

PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
sad, sad, truth

Marco Soijer

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

Frank Yeske wrote in message <34962B5D...@clover.net>...

> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
>worst is any track on CAS.
>
>HAROLD

Come on! Be fair!

I'm not asking you to be a fan of CAS. Either you like it, or you don't. If
you don't, that's fine with me.

What I don't buy however, is that anybody who is a Genesis fan (hence knows
all the albums and listened to them more than once), could like ANY song
they wrote in the past better than ANY song on CAS. If you like the 70s
Genesis, with its complex sound, then I think tracks like Dividing Line or
One Mans Fool should suit you better than, say, Illegal Alien or Anything
She Does. If you like the more modern 'pop' sound of the 80s Genesis, then I
think Congo should be more appealing to you than for example Musical Box.

I stated it before in this ng, but I think Ray's voice on CAS sounds a lot
like Peter's at certain points. Anyway, IMHO the atmosphere of CAS is
somewhere between that of the 70s albums and that of the 80s albums,
including WCD. Since most CAS bashers at least suggest they like everything
Genesis have done before, something's wrong here.

Marco
--

Please remove .nojnk from email address to reply. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

ms...@island.net

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

Frank Yeske wrote:
> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
> worst is any track on CAS.
> PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
> sad, sad, truth

Did you somehow miss the '80s? Like the album Invisible Touch?

Just wondering...

Cam Purdy

ERIC M ERICKSON

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

'Who Dunnit?' is much worse. That repetetive 'ya, we don't know, ya we
don't know....' line is annoying.

ms...@island.net wrote in article <349643...@island.net>...

T.EMMERSON

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

ms...@island.net wrote:

> Frank Yeske wrote:
> > The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
> > worst is any track on CAS.
> > PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
> > sad, sad, truth
>
> Did you somehow miss the '80s? Like the album Invisible Touch?
>
> Just wondering...
>
> Cam Purdy

Oh please - nobody gets *that* lucky!

Tony

Kevin Collins

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 02:18:54 -0500, Frank Yeske <jan...@clover.net>
spake thusly:

> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
>worst is any track on CAS.
>

>HAROLD

>PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
>sad, sad, truth

Yeah, whatever, Harold the barrel
.
The unholy trinity of bad Genesis songs in my book:
Illegal Alien
Anything She Does
I Can't Dance

Sheldon Levin

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

Me & Virgil

James Clay

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

I personally think Me & Virgil beats almost anything else during the
abacab period.
It is certainly better than Another Record or Keep It Dark or
WhoDunnit...,and countless other post-Duke songs. Thank you...

Sheldon Levin wrote:

> Me & Virgil

Robert Martin

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

ABACAB should have been a double
album it would have been twice as
GREAT!

piss off!
"hih"

Shaun Guerin

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97
to Robert Martin

What?! Huh?
Oh yeah right.

Christoph Grothe

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
> worst is any track on CAS.

Hi ! IMHO is this kind of convertsation something for boys/girls in their
teenage years.

But i you want to hear my opinion : I think that CAS is the best record
after a trick of the tail.

greetings from Germany

Chris

Jean-Pierre Gagnon

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

You know what pisses me off?
When people write statement like

>PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
>sad, sad, truth

You're not stating the truth!!! You're stating your opinion, or what you
perceive as the truth.

It's just like "Ray's voice is bad" or "Steve Hackett is the best guitar
player in the world"

These things are not measurable folks. There is nothing wrong with being
subjective, but just say that's your opinion. That's MY opinion

JP

Rob McMonigal

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

wrote:

> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
>worst is any track on CAS.
>

>HAROLD

Copycat! I beat you to saying that! *grins*

rob McMonigal

baulplan

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Frank Yeske wrote in message <34962B5D...@clover.net>...

> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
>worst is any track on CAS.
>
>HAROLD
>

>PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
>sad, sad, truth

Sad to say - but the absolute truth!!!!!!!

Calling all stations - not a terrible album - but the first genesis album -
ever - to BORE ME!! - I could forgive them the odd crappy track - but this
is just dull.

At least genesis revisited by hackett has genuine feeling and power to it -
plus moments of real sparkle and surprise.

No flair from banks on CAS - and rutherford has alwas been a dreadful lead
guitarist - except for abacab live and maybe mama.

Reform? well - hackett would do them the world of good - but not gabriel -
he's lost it too!

looking forward to the tour - because i hope to be surprised and hope they
stop playing CAS tracks by then!!!

Racma

Dec 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/19/97

Harold,

In your post you wrote: The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked.

The socond
worst is any track on CAS.
HAROLD

You'd better listen again. "Misunderstanding" is without question Genesis'
worst song---that followed by almost any one of Phil Collins characteristic
"love songs" with which he polluted Genesis from '80 'till '92---not to speak
of "Jesus He Loves Me."

By comparison, "Calling all Stations" is like a breath of fresh air! I guess
on we fans who've been along for the WHOLE journey are more likely to be able
to appreciate "the river of constant change" called Genesis. Carry on Tony,
Mike, and Ray!

RAC

If you think CAS is not good---listen to tracks #7, and #4 once or twice.
It'll change your mind.

Ian Schneider

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

On 19 Dec 1997 22:19:54 GMT, ra...@aol.com (Racma) wrote:
"Misunderstanding" is without question Genesis'
>worst song---

without question. It's musically incorrect as--say--since the Asians
invented the tempered scale about 4000 years ago (it wasn't the
Greeks). It's a pain to the ears, which is why Tony didn't want any
part of it.
Which leave's man On The Corner as very rightly the 2d worst.

I love Phil's performance, his voice--but that writing is
unacceptable.

Ian Schneider--opinion only

Robert Martin

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

anyone who thinks phil is the writer
behind all genesis love songs is an
idiot! CAS "if that's what you need"
who ya blaming this one on, Ray?
strictly inc. "a piece of you" maybe
it was that Wang Chung dude?
B.A. Robertson or Chris Neil?
which one gets the blame for M&M?
or is it Carrack? he looks like phil?
open your ears.

"hih"

Ian Schneider

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

as for me, I was *only* referring to Misunderstanding and man on the
corner--the same song in a major key. these songs are awful. yet I
still enjoy Phil's live "Man On The Corner"--to me he can sing just
about anything--its all style.

Before they began giving credits to "Genesis" (which may be a legal
nightmare--redundancy), the only "love" song Phil was responsible for,
as the main thrust, were Misundersanding and Please Don't Ask. Again,
the latter song kinda sucks, but Phil pulls it off anyway. Imagine
ray singing Guide Vocal?

Anyway, hih, I appreciate Phil's contribution to Genesis--we know he's
not responsible for all the love songs--just the really bad ones--just
kinda joking

IA Schneider
only a n-g only a n-g only a n-g

Ian Schneider

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:13:38 -0600, handi...@webtv.net (Robert
Martin) wrote:

>or is it Carrack? he looks like phil?
>open your ears.
>
>"hih"

Actually I think paul's doing the goatee working man's hat thing, like
that cat from U2--Edge or The Edge--In God's Country would be a good
genesis cover--let Mike show off his guitar prowess

IA Schneider

Steven Sullivan

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

: Martin) wrote:

: >anyone who thinks phil is the writer

: >behind all genesis love songs is an
: >idiot! CAS "if that's what you need"
: >who ya blaming this one on, Ray?
: >strictly inc. "a piece of you" maybe
: >it was that Wang Chung dude?
: > B.A. Robertson or Chris Neil?
: >which one gets the blame for M&M?

: >or is it Carrack? he looks like phil?
: >open your ears.
: >
: >"hih"
: >
: >
: as for me, I was *only* referring to Misunderstanding and man on the

: corner--the same song in a major key. these songs are awful. yet I
: still enjoy Phil's live "Man On The Corner"--to me he can sing just
: about anything--its all style.

Misunderstanding's main riff always reminded me of Led Zep's 'Fool in the
Rain', with the rhythm slightly altered. FUrthermore, both songs talk
about miscommunication resulting in the singer waiting in the rain.

Grabbyhoke

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

I agree. I love the band but CAS SUCKS!!!!!!!!

baulplan

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Well,,

here's my pennys worth - if anyones interested.

As I type this i am listening again to CAS - and I have to admit - after
finding it very dull initially - its beginning to grow. At the very least
they have to keep Ray Wilson on for one more album.

Paul Carrack - no, no.no!!!! dont forget he plays keyboards as well -
couldnt see Tony Banks letting him near them!!! Anyway his voice is too
smooth.

Peter Gabriel - sorry chaps - but I think he lost it shortly after So -
maybe even shortly BEFORE So - sledgehammer was ok - but the
rest.well..............

Steve Hackett - I would love for them to try one - just one attempt with him
in the group - his genesis revisited album has some stunning playing -
mostly on the non genesis tracks - mean riding the collosus and valley of
the kings - wow! I know this wont happen but think how a few hacket electric
solos could liven up CAS and give Banks some ideas to bounce off - Sorry
Mike but the last decent solo you managed was abacab - live (i was in the
crowd as well - it was good) and since then - lotsa good riffs - title track
of CAS for example - but not much since.

Banks needs some one else to either compete with or work around. If their
really going back to a rock orientated and longer song progressive feel then
lets have some EXPRESSION - please!

Talking of hackett - his last three electric albums - guitar noir (just
re-released with extra tracks and demos - thanks!), blues and the revisited
album show his playing off as never before - WE WANT MORE!!! Apparantly a
new album called the tokyo tapes with john wetton, chester thompsona and
otheres will be out in early 98 - yeehaa!!!

Well - when i started typing it was calling all stations (track1) - now its
alien afternoon - hummmmmm....I think maybe they have something
here.........oh...no.....i may have to admit to liking
it..........ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Yes - its ok!!!!!!

peace and stuff to everyone - plus let us know about any hackett like
rarities or activities!!!!

we are legion - we are genesis fans!!!

baulplan

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

tar...@clpgh.org

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <67he0c$gu...@beaker.nit.gwu.edu>,

who's talking about Zeppelin? what's it have to do with this post?
non-sequiteur.........

Steven Sullivan

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

tar...@clpgh.org wrote:
: In article <67he0c$gu...@beaker.nit.gwu.edu>,

You bruise so easily, Ed.

Robert Curry

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

In article <349d3...@news.mcmail.com>, baulplan
<URL:mailto:baul...@mcmail.com> wrote:

> Well,

> here's my pennys worth - if anyones interested.
>
> As I type this i am listening again to CAS - and I have to admit - after
> finding it very dull initially - its beginning to grow. At the very least
> they have to keep Ray Wilson on for one more album.

When I first listened to CAS I was a bit dissapointed, it wasn't what I was
expecting more than anything (Shipwrecked was all that worked first time,
should have faired a lot better as a single). However, seen as Genesis are
my favourite band, and no one else comes close, I kept listening to it
again and again and again. Eventually the title track's intenesity grew on
me and I now love it, the chorus of Congo, sounded better and better on
each listen (and eventually the verses did too). Alien Afternoon seemed a
bit bizzare, but it was good to see Genesis try something new. Not About Us
sounded good early on (another good single), as did If That's What You
Need. Deviding Line reminds me a little of Supper's Ready - Apocalypse, it
has a repeating musical section gradually building up to some powerful
vocals over the top - would benefit from a smooth guitar solo. Small Talk
was not enough of a Genesis song for me to fully appreciate it and There
Must Be Some Other Way went on too long. However One Man's Fool end's the
album on a high, if Wilson can perfrom as good a vocal take live as he did
on the album version it surely will become a live favourite.

> Paul Carrack - no, no.no!!!! dont forget he plays keyboards as well -
> couldnt see Tony Banks letting him near them!!! Anyway his voice is too
> smooth.

Again I agree with you here. When Phil left I thought Genesis were
finished, but I began to think of possile new vocalists and Carrack was a
candidate, especially if they were going to carry on in the style of WCD
(which I thought they would). However I think Wilson is probably as good a
vocalist as Collins and Gabriel. Collins was fantastic live, whilst Gabriel
was brilliant in the studio (even if the production wasn't). Wilson is
somewhere inbetween and has plenty of time to develop into a better studio
vocalist than Gabriel and a better live vocalist than Collins.

> Peter Gabriel - sorry chaps - but I think he lost it shortly after So -
> maybe even shortly BEFORE So - sledgehammer was ok - but the
> rest.well..............

I have to disagree with you here, Peter's latest albums have been his best
Secret World Live rocks!!!

> Steve Hackett - I would love for them to try one - just one attempt with him
> in the group - his genesis revisited album has some stunning playing -
> mostly on the non genesis tracks - mean riding the collosus and valley of
> the kings - wow! I know this wont happen but think how a few hacket electric
> solos could liven up CAS and give Banks some ideas to bounce off - Sorry
> Mike but the last decent solo you managed was abacab - live (i was in the
> crowd as well - it was good) and since then - lotsa good riffs - title track
> of CAS for example - but not much since.

I'm not sure he would stay for long if he did come back, he enjoys the
luxury of all of his songs being released too much. It is possible though
that he may make some guest appearances, Mike did have other guitarists
working on the Mechanics albums.

> Banks needs some one else to either compete with or work around. If their
> really going back to a rock orientated and longer song progressive feel then
> lets have some EXPRESSION - please!

More likely to compete, Hackett and Banks were never close friends. Might
be a bit too much rivalry, the guitar is dominating more Genesis tracks
now, but Banks doesn't mind this because Rutherford isn't a GREAT
guitarist, but if Hackett came back he probably would and Banks would want
the keyboards to be more dominent again and Hackett wouldn't want to
bother...

> Talking of hackett - his last three electric albums - guitar noir (just
> re-released with extra tracks and demos - thanks!), blues and the revisited
> album show his playing off as never before - WE WANT MORE!!! Apparantly a

> new album called the tokyo tapes with john wetton, chester thompson and

> otheres will be out in early 98 - yeehaa!!!

Havn't heard Guitar Noir yet (not sure how good it will be - a ten year gap
between the last of its kind, Highly Strung), nor Blues With A Feeling
(don't particularly love jazz). However Genesis Revisted and Time Lapse are
both fantastic and neither have a weak song on them. The Tokyo Tapes will
be coming out soon (mentioned in the card that comes with the remasters), I
believe a live video is coming soon as well (shame that the tour isn't
coming to the U.K. though).

> Well - when i started typing it was calling all stations (track1) - now its
> alien afternoon - hummmmmm....I think maybe they have something
> here.........oh...no.....i may have to admit to liking
> it..........ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

You'll think it's the best Genesis album ever soon, listen to it in chunks
and concetrate on liking those sections, that's why I think it is.
> Yes - its ok!!!!!!
It's better than that!!

--
Remove NO-SPAM to reply by email.

Robert

P.S. Hackett is working on a new rock album at the moment as well...

AS MINTON

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

Ian Schneider wrote:

> "Misunderstanding" is without question Genesis'worst song---. It's a >

>pain to the ears, which is why Tony didn't want any part of it. Which >leave's man On The Corner as very rightly the 2d worst. I love Phil's >performance, his voice--but that writing is unacceptable.
>
> Ian Schneider--opinion only

Aaron Minton--opinion accepted

Robert Martin

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

hi,
i just don't see how people can say they love the band then say CAS
sucks.
the album is basically bits and pieces of the band we all know and
supposedly love. you have your bits of old your bits of not so old and
because of Ray some new ideas thrown in. CAS sounds at times like its
1973 all over again(one man's fool)with maybe a slight difference
because of modern advances in production, then at times it sounds like
1983(calling all stations) very much like MAMA! the album is not that
much different from what they have been doing for the last fifteen years
except phil is no longer there. to some this a good thing to some not so
good, but either way mike and tony have been mostly responsible for the
music since pete left and they are still there! i think the album is
totally genesis and i can't wait for the next one!

cheers,
hih

tar...@clpgh.org

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <67sb7f$nh...@beaker.nit.gwu.edu>,

you bait so easily, steevie. If only I could bet money on it......

lauren...@googlemail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 10:29:11 AM2/19/18
On Tuesday, December 16, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Frank Yeske wrote:
> The worst genesis song ever is no doubt shipwrecked. The socond
> worst is any track on CAS.
>
> HAROLD
>
> PS I'm not just kicking the band when they're down , just stating the
> sad, sad, truth

Who Dunnit? On Invisible Touch is crippling.. Abacab is a bit of a stinker really, saved by Abacab,the masterpiece of the Album....