Name your top five worst Genisis songs

Kristina Ferri

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
they ever did.
my list is.
1. who dunnit?
2. put another record on
3. since i lost you
4. keep it dark
5. invisible touch

Guy F.

Joe McGlinchey

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

1)Who Dunnit
2)Invisible Touch
3)Hold On My Heart
4)I Can't Dance
5)That's All
Honorable mention:Illegal Alien, Jesus He Knows Me, No Son of Mine

Joe McGlinchey
Teachers College
Columbia University

Ian Schneider

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

The Tonight Tonight Tonight---Invisible Touch medley on WWW.

my favoorite pt/ "TTT" is the pt where the song breaks in the middle,
Phil going into one of his 'I Don't Care Anymore' postures and sings,
"You keep telling me you're gonna help me---but you don't." That
part is cut, I never understood why, in favor of a song I sorta doubt
the post-Phil Genesis will play.

I Schneider

Jim Mackey

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

This is completely unrelated, but a memory was sparked...

I remember hearing Invisible Touch on the radio just after TWWW1 was
released, and after the song the DJ said "If I was to play you the new
live version of that, you'd all be calling me and complaining." What
a moron, trying to get attention... as if no one had ever included the
word "fuck" in lyrics before, and had it played on the radio to boot...

--
Jim, "PTE Expert"

Paul Jackson

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Here's my 5 awful best (?)

Who Dunnit
In too Deep
Follow You Follow Me
Misunderstanding (or Hot fun in the Summertime)
It's Gonna Get Better ( I sure hope so )
More Fool Me (was this an autobiographical thing?)

Paul ;-)

C. Currie

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

1) Hold On My Heart
2) Since I Lost You
3) In Too Deep
4) Tell Me Why
5) Never A Time

The Christopher Currie

DHarris555

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In no particular order:

Who Dunnit?
Invisible Touch
Illegal Alien
I Can't Dance
Throwing it all Away

Terrell Miller

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Top (?) 5 Worst:

1) Counting Out Time
2) Taking It All Too Hard
3) Just A Job To Do
4) Me & Virgil
5) Battle of Epping Forest

-
TERRELL MILLER, OP KQL...@prodigy.com
"Look back, that is no escape"

Jim Lindsay ii

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Well, let's see. Keep in mind that this is all prior to IT.

1. Me and Virgil
2. Ballad of Big
3. More Fool Me
4. Illegal Alien (I know it was supposed to be tongue in cheek, but I
still don't like it)
5. Man on the Corner! (flame to your heart's content--I honestly
couldn't care less!)

Anyway, that's a list sure to drive ME out of a room.
-
JIM LINDSAY II ZBU...@prodigy.com

ERTEGUN

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

It's tough to think of five I least like, but I can come up with
something, in no particular order:

In Too Deep
For Absent Friends
Alone Tonight
I'd Rather Be You (Side B, Throwing It All Away)
Never A Time

Cam Purdy

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Hmmmm...

5. Turn It On Again

4. Misunderstanding

3. Ballad of Big

2. Anything She Does

...and the number one worst Genesis song of all time, no question...

1. Invisible Touch - true pap crud, would fit in on a Candy album

cam

Zeus

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Kristina Ferri wrote:

> mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
> recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
> it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
> they ever did.
> my list is.

1. who dunnit?

Ok I agree it wasn't a great song, but you have to admit it was
experimental and it did take some balls to put it on the record.

> 2. put another record on

actually it's just "Another Record" but I actually kind of liked Phil's
drum work on that song. Kind of catchy.

> 3. since i lost you

I'll agree on this one. The idea was good but all around poorly
executed. All three of the boys are guilty on this one.
> 4. keep it dark
Now this is a good song. I loved the idea of alien abduction for this
song. Kind of original and catchy. I am a bit biased toward that tune
because it was one of the first Genesis songs I got into when I was
first discovering them.
> 5. invisible touch
It's a good pop tune(which is not a put down). Certainly not their worst
IMHO.
Here's mine:
1.)Tell Me Why-It's just annoying to me.
2.)Battle of Epping Forest-I know I'll get racked over the coals for
blaspheming a Gabriel era song but this song just seems to go on forever
with no real musical or lyrical direction.
3.)Since I Lost You-Again, nice idea but too sappy.
That's all I can think of. There aren't really many Genesis songs I just
can't listen to, except the above. Thanks.
> > Guy F.

Rick Armstrong

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

My list of the worst Genesis songs looks like this:

1. Misunderstanding
2. Your Own Special Way
3. WhoDunnit
4. Man On The Corner
5. Misunderstanding ( again, this one makes me cringe so much I have
to list it twice ).

Honorable mention to just about everything else on Abacab.

Rick

MikeySenft

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

1) Hold On My Heart
2) Hold On My Heart
3) Hold On My Heart
4) Hold On My Heart
5) (Tie) In Too Deep, Never A Time, Illegal Alien

MIKEEEYYY!!!

Lily White

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Kristina Ferri <kr...@clt.mindspring.com> wrote...

>mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
>recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
>it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
>they ever did.
>my list is.
>1. who dunnit?
>2. put another record on
>3. since i lost you
>4. keep it dark
>5. invisible touch
>
>Guy F.

Just my 2 cents here... I guess Whodunnit really is the all-time No.1
worst Genesis track in most fans' minds. Parts of it are good - the
weird ending, the start.. it's just the way Collins ransacks it with his
repetitive vocals, especially the "We know we know" bit, which is enough
to drive me to lift the needle straight away on this track. I quite like
the "Was it you or was it me" part tho - cool beat. A track that is
clearly "rubbish" overall (IMO) but could have been made into a
REASONABLE pop tune, I guess. Tho it should DEFINITELY have been made
into a B-side, and 'You Might Recall' put on the album instead!

As for 'Another Record', this has a WONDERFUL intro, with the Banks
keyboard, and Mike's lilting guitar notes. Until it's UTTERLY RUINED by
the worst cymbal sound yet heard, and (like Whodunnit) soon becomes
spoilt by the inane vocals of a certain drummer present...

'Since I Lost You'? It's listenable, but WHY OH WHY do we have that
Motown style in it? This is a GENESIS album, not a bloody Collins solo
album!! Yet another example of Phil "taking over", his influences and
style dominating, no matter who the "real" writers in Genesis are...

'Keep It Dark' is excellent. But I can see why folks don't like it - the
over-simplistic riff at the start, perhaps? But listen on, until the
glorious section where it builds up, to the "thousands of people, with
happier lives" part - wonderful! (Until it all falls down, with the
"chorus"! "Aw.. keep it dark!" Still, at least Phil was experimenting.)

As for the single 'Invisible Touch', it's pure pop. And fantastic. Not
really the sort of thing you'd expect from the band, but neither was
'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' from Yes. Yet both were No.1 US singles.
'Invisible Touch' is real catchy, with some lyrics folks can surely
relate to. The only real fault is that Tony's synth break is weak. This
could have been bettered. The live versions are even better, as the band
add to the song and extend it. Plus Phil sings "She will FUCK up your
life" instead of "mess up your life". Fun.

WHile I'm here, I agree about 'The Battle Of Epping Forest'. It probably
sounded good at the time...

'More Fool Me' (and, indeed 'For Absent Friends') is also awful.

I cannot agree however, with anyone who claims that 'Throwing It All
Away' and 'In Too Deep' are no good. Surely these represent (IMHO) two
of Phil Collins' greatest songs- nay, two of Genesis's greatest! Not
prog, of course, but so what? Neither is 'Sledgehammer' or 'Hope I Don't
Wake' (by Gabriel and Hackett respectively). 'Throwing It All Away' is
simply MADE by Tony's fabulous keyboard part just before the chorus
vocals - it really lifts you emotionally... the song is wonderful. Along
with Mike's excellent guitar riff at the start - one of his best. I
heard it only today on the radio, in a set of love songs. Keeps getting
chosen! As does 'In Too Deep', another masterpiece, and emotional song.
Again, both songs have Collins lyrics that people can relate to - about
love, and lost love, etc. This seems to be a big part of Phil's success
- he writes about his own experiences (failed marriages, etc) and so
writes what we can tell is real. Better than the lyrics of 'A Trick Of
The Tail' anyday - I hate that fantasy demons crap! Let's hope the new
singer can also write some good lyrics.

--
Lil...

TripPEELER

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Easy:

1. Illegal Alien
2. That's All
3. Hold On My Heart
4. Invisible Touch
5. Tonight,Tonight,Tonight (going down like a monkey?)

DHarris555

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

I totally agree. They completely ruined TTT..cut out the best part and
substituted one of their worst songs.

But don't get me started on that.....I HATE Invisible Touch (the song).
It has absolutely nothing going for it. And I'm not one of those people
who hates all post-1980 Genesis, I actually like In Too Deep, Never a Time
and Tell me Why (to name a few). But IT is awful. And the video is worse.
I cringe whenever I see the ending where they sing into Phil's drumsticks
and then talk about how fantastic the song is. It is an embarassment. It
is the kind of song Genesis could write and play in their sleep with one
hand tied behind their back. There is seemingly no effort put into the
song. And the lyrics...terrible. Who wrote this??

I seriously hope this song is put in the vault, never to return in concert
again.

Dave

Holly and Ken

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Gosh, I could be sarcastic and say "there is no such group as Gen"I"sis"
but I'll refrain!

Top 5 Worst: IMHO

1. Me and Virgil
2. Fading Lights
3. Since I've Lost You
4. Ballad of Big
5. In the Motherlode (title unsure since I only listen to Many Too Many
and Follow You on this album)

Just my two cents!

Holly :)

Gondola Bob

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

NO "worst Genesis song" discussion is complete without a nod to "Who
Dunnit?"....

GB

Gondola Bob

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

Sheesh, I quite like Alone Tonight myself...a little self-pitying perhaps,
but awfully pretty....

GB

Jim Mackey

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this
song?

--
Jim, "PTE Expert"

Nightfly

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96
to Rick Armstrong

WORST GENESIS SONGS:
1) I can't Dance
2) Since I lost you
3) Invisible Touch
4) WhoDunnit
5) Illegal Alien

Russ Benson

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

>Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this

>song? (talking about Whodunnit?)

Well, I prefer the version on the 3SL video. That one works better than the
original ABACAB version, IMHO. Otherwise, I like it more than Tell Me Why.
Russ

____________________________
Russ Benson
ben...@lava.net
http://www.lava.net/~benson

Erik Velapoldi

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Gondola Bob wrote:

> In article <4s2buv$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ert...@aol.com (ERTEGUN) wrote:
>
> > It's tough to think of five I least like, but I can come up with
> > something, in no particular order:
> >
> > In Too Deep
> > For Absent Friends
> > Alone Tonight
> > I'd Rather Be You (Side B, Throwing It All Away)
> > Never A Time

Now come on. "For Absent Friends" is great. Very simple two minute
ditty that conjures up perfectly the image of two old ladies in the park.
It lacks the sheer idiocy of the others. Plus it fits perfectly on NC.

Erik

ERTEGUN

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Just two points to make here:

1. I thought the primary lyricist for "Throwing It All Away" was Mike;

2. Personally, I'd have to put "Fading Lights" as one of my FAVORITE
Genesis songs! Well, okay, you could take the lyrics and music around
them and throw it all away (no pun intended), but that jazzy middle break
is absolutely phenomenal! Especially when I saw it live - just the three
of them, without Daryl and Chester! I'd always wondered what a live
three-piece Genesis would be like, and I'm so glad I got to find out -
just amazing! Phil was the monster on drums that we too rarely get to see
anymore, and the dynamic between him, Tony and Mike was enough to make you
feel like you were watching them in the studio. A true concert highlight
that (and I hate to sound like some others on the list) won't be the same
with the new lineup.

Terrell Miller

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

>But don't get me started on that.....I HATE Invisible Touch (the song).

>It has absolutely nothing going for it. And the video is worse.

> I cringe whenever I see the ending where they sing into Phil's
drumsticks
>and then talk about how fantastic the song is. It is an embarassment.

I thought it was funny as hell, actually! Nice to see the band goofing
off for an change and not taking themselves too seriously. ( Just the
sight of Tony smiling and laughing makes the video well worth owning!)
IMHO.

It's not a Prog song, but (to paraphrase LilyWhite, who said it first and
better), does everything have to be?

Guy and Kristina Ferri

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

kr...@clt.mindspring.com (Kristina Ferri) wrote:

>mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
>recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
>it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
>they ever did.
>my list is.
>1. who dunnit?
>2. put another record on
>3. since i lost you
>4. keep it dark
>5. invisible touch

>Guy F.

I apologize to everyone for the misspelling of the word "GENESIS" in
the title of this thread, I've tried to correct it. I hope it worked.
Nobody's Perfect. Pun intended.

Guy Ferri

Guy and Kristina Ferri

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

kr...@clt.mindspring.com (Kristina Ferri) wrote:

>mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
>recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
>it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
>they ever did.
>my list is.
>1. who dunnit?
>2. put another record on
>3. since i lost you
>4. keep it dark
>5. invisible touch

>Guy F.

I apologize to everyone for the misspelling of the word "GENESIS" in

the title of this thread. I tried to correct it. I hope it worked.

Jana Shepard

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

It is as classic as they come!!

MQuinn5006

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

And what's wrong with "Tell Me Why"? :-) Whilst it doesn't contain the
symphonic structure of "Supper's Ready", the social comment of "Get 'Em
Out By Friday" nor the gravitas of "Broadway Melody Of 1974" I think that
(IMHO) as a straight-forward rock song "Tell Me Why" is wonderful -
straddling a lilting keyboard beat it has an infectious melody and is
dominated by that tantalising Byrds-style guitar line throughout. I think
it's the Spaniel's sponduliks!

For the record, I like just about all the band's stuff so here is my Worst
Top 5 (or should that really be my Best bottom 5):

1. Naminanu
2. Ballad Of Big
3. Anything She Does

4. Man On The Corner

5. Another Record

Meanwhile, back in 9/8 Time Signature Land ...

Mike.

Philippe Bedard

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Here's my top 5 worst:

1. "Since I Lost You". Sounds too much like Phil Collins' honeyed stuff.

2. "The Waiting Room". It's not music, but noise.

3. The entire 4th side of "Three Sides Live". Those songs were first rejected
from the albums "Duke" and "Abacab". If they were not good enough for those
albums, they were not good enough for any album, even a live one.

4. The original version of "Abacab": too much electronic, punky. Almost
inaudible. The live version (from "Three Sides Live") is quite better.

5. "More Fool Me". Should have been arranged otherwise, with Peter singing.
When I listen to it, I understand why people were laughing about the
"nomination" of Phil as new singer in 1976.

Of course, you should disagree with these, as I did when I saw "The Battle of
Epping Forest" on someone's top 5 worst.

But remember that it's personal: it's not because I don't like a song that
it's not good to someone else.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Philippe Bedard
Quebec, Qc
pbe...@mediom.qc.ca
_________________________

Michael Julian Topper

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

KQL...@prodigy.com (Terrell Miller) wrote:
>>But don't get me started on that.....I HATE Invisible Touch (the song).

>It's not a Prog song, but (to paraphrase LilyWhite, who said it first and

>better), does everything have to be?

Not at all, but that doesn't make the song any better. ;)

Michael

MikeySenft

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

>Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this
>song? (talking about Whodunnit?)

Well, I don't like it, but I didn't have to hear it every time I turned on
the radio, like HOMH. It is possible to avoid Whodunnit, just hit skip on
the cd, while most of the "Collins-esque" ballads were EVERYWHERE...

MIKEEEYYY!!!

Adam Spiegel

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

I think everybody should lay off abusing ABACAB for I find it in no
way a disaster. First of all everybody is disgusted with "Who Dunnit".
Well..this "piece I guess you could call it, was basically to just
show that they still had a sense of humor. "No reply at all" has some
best bass playing by Michael I really have ever heard. By the way,
"who Dunnit" worked very well live, giving Rutherford the one chance
to play drums! The title track..solid... but nothing amazing.. I
think "Dodo" just kicks ass all the way through, telling people, we
havent forgotten our past...But the horn section...uhhh..well..nobodys
perfect. This is a band that loves to experiment, If they did not
like to experiment well...then Supper would never have been ready!

"Its been a long long time...hasent it?"
-SPIEGS-

C. Currie

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

In article <4sa5l3$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ERTEGUN <ert...@aol.com>
wrote: >Just two points to make here:

>1. I thought the primary lyricist for "Throwing It All Away" was Mike;

You are correct - that and "Land Of Confusion" were his two lyrical
contributions to the album.

The Christopher Currie

k...@humerus.mae.cornell.edu

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

Jim Mackey (J...@suprsrdy.vip.best.com) wrote:

: Gondola Bob wrote:
: >
: > NO "worst Genesis song" discussion is complete without a nod to "Who
: > Dunnit?"....
: >
: > GB

: Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this
: song?

Ok - I'll own up to it. I (strongly) disliked the song on hearing the album
but after seeing them perform it and having the cycling lights and the
crowd and "other" concert modifications, I found that I could appreciate it
(but again, that was the "gestalt" - not the song standing on its own).

: --
: Jim, "PTE Expert"

sha...@cyberenet.net

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

kr...@clt.mindspring.com (Kristina Ferri) wrote:

>mine would be. The first two on my list should have never been
>recorded. imo the worst songs they ever recorded, I couldn't believe
>it when I first heard them. This is why for me Abacab is worst album
>they ever did.
>my list is.
>1. who dunnit?
>2. put another record on
>3. since i lost you
>4. keep it dark
>5. invisible touch

>Guy F.

You know, I would mostly agree with you were it not for Keep It Dark.
IMO, this is a great song that is mainly underratted. It also seems to
be one of the last of the lyrically creative songs they did before
they switched to writing uninspired love ballads and other such
cheesiness.

David Eber
sha...@cyberenet.net

sha...@cyberenet.net

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Lily White <li...@crusher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I cannot agree however, with anyone who claims that 'Throwing It All
>Away' and 'In Too Deep' are no good. Surely these represent (IMHO) two
>of Phil Collins' greatest songs- nay, two of Genesis's greatest! Not
>prog, of course, but so what? Neither is 'Sledgehammer' or 'Hope I Don't
>Wake' (by Gabriel and Hackett respectively). 'Throwing It All Away' is
>simply MADE by Tony's fabulous keyboard part just before the chorus
>vocals - it really lifts you emotionally... the song is wonderful. Along
>with Mike's excellent guitar riff at the start - one of his best. I
>heard it only today on the radio, in a set of love songs. Keeps getting
>chosen! As does 'In Too Deep', another masterpiece, and emotional song.
>Again, both songs have Collins lyrics that people can relate to - about
>love, and lost love, etc. This seems to be a big part of Phil's success
>- he writes about his own experiences (failed marriages, etc) and so
>writes what we can tell is real. Better than the lyrics of 'A Trick Of
>The Tail' anyday - I hate that fantasy demons crap! Let's hope the new
>singer can also write some good lyrics.
>
>--
>Lil...

Throwing It All Away and In Too Deep . . . masterpieces? . . . two of
Genesis's greatest? Out of their entire catalog of music?

Love songs are a dime a dozen on the radio, and most of them better
than the schlock that Genesis and Collins puts out (and I like
Collins-era Genesis). I can find plenty of better songs of this type
if I feel the need to relate to the music. What sets Genesis apart for
me are their willingness to do unusal songs . . . that "fantasy demons
crap". I like the fact that they do, or did songs that were not the
same thing as everything else out there.

Ironically, I like Peter Gabriel's songs about relationships much
better than anything Phil has done. This from the man who is, or was
known for his bizzarre, progressive style.

David Eber
sha...@cyberenet.net

Lily White

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Nightfly <dell...@eng.usf.edu> wrote...

>WORST GENESIS SONGS:
>1) I can't Dance

What a superb single. Sheer genius. How can you not like that one?

And for those including Never A Time in your lists... another great
song, one of the best on WCD. WHy was it never a single!?!??

--
Int...
"Int... co.. an. he le... hi. ma..."

Lily White

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

>Top 5 Worst: IMHO
>
>1. Me and Virgil
>2. Fading Lights
>3. Since I've Lost You
>4. Ballad of Big
>5. In the Motherlode (title unsure since I only listen to Many Too Many
> and Follow You on this album)
>
>Just my two cents!
>
>Holly :)

Deep In The Motherlode, as it is called, happens to be one of my all-
time favourite Genesis tracks. Fantastic on the live Duke show.

Andre St-Laurent

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Jim Mackey wrote:

> Gondola Bob wrote:
> >
> > NO "worst Genesis song" discussion is complete without a nod to "Who
> > Dunnit?"....
> >
> > GB
>
> Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this
> song?
> I *LOVE* _Who_Dunnit?_ !!! One of my top three songs on Abacab (along with
Dodo/Lurker and Keep it Dark)

how anyone can possibly prefer _In_Too_Deep_ (or _Anything_She_Does_) to _Who_Dunnit?_ is
beyond me! (IMNSHO)

--
Andre St-Laurent (dg89...@er.uqam.ca)
http://www.er.uqam.ca/merlin/dg891833/

Lily White

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, DHarris555 <dharr...@aol.com> wrote...

>I totally agree. They completely ruined TTT..cut out the best part and
>substituted one of their worst songs.
>
>But don't get me started on that.....I HATE Invisible Touch (the song).
>It has absolutely nothing going for it. And I'm not one of those people
>who hates all post-1980 Genesis, I actually like In Too Deep, Never a Time
>and Tell me Why (to name a few). But IT is awful. And the video is worse.

> I cringe whenever I see the ending where they sing into Phil's drumsticks
>and then talk about how fantastic the song is. It is an embarassment.

Truly one of the worst videos ever made. I mean, what's a DRUMMER doing
with a GUITAR??? However....

>is the kind of song Genesis could write and play in their sleep with one
>hand tied behind their back. There is seemingly no effort put into the
>song. And the lyrics...terrible. Who wrote this??

Someone who knew what they were doing. Fantastic lyrics that everyone
can surely relate to. Or maybe you never felt those things yourself! :)

>I seriously hope this song is put in the vault, never to return in concert
>again.

I hope they continue to play this fine song in its even-better live
version for years to come.

>Dave

Lily White

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, TripPEELER <tripp...@aol.com> wrote...
>Easy:
>
>1. Illegal Alien

Quite catchy. Irritating, but worth playing.

>2. That's All

Wonderful. Check the lyrics. The live versh ees eeven betterr!

>3. Hold On My Heart

Disgusting. Should have been scrubbed.

>4. Invisible Touch

A favourite of mine. Though clearly low down when you remember most of
what else they've done in the past! (Lamb, etc)

>5. Tonight,Tonight,Tonight (going down like a monkey?)

Easily in my Top Ten Genesis Best Tracks Ever Made. If not Top Five. A
masterpiece you cannot ignore. Why, heck, the middle section - !!
WOWWW!!!!

Lily White

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Jim Mackey <J...@suprsrdy.vip.best.com> wrote...

>Gondola Bob wrote:
>>
>> NO "worst Genesis song" discussion is complete without a nod to "Who
>> Dunnit?"....
>>
>> GB
>
>Yep... so, for the record: does anyone out there actually *LIKE* this
>song?

I theenk wee've had theese one beefore, Jeem!

Russ Benson

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

In article <4scbg1$c...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mquin...@aol.com (MQuinn5006) wrote:
>And what's wrong with "Tell Me Why"? :-) Whilst it doesn't contain the

I just can't stand the lyrics... YMMV

Neil MacKinnon

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

It was released, at least in part, as a fund raiser for the children in Bosnia.
I think that it was the Red Cross that benefited from the proceeds.

Cheers,
--
Neil

http://thoth.sbs.ohio-state.edu/students/mackinnon.html
http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/Icecore/groupP.html#A2.5

C. Currie

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

Lily White <li...@crusher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>And for those including Never A Time in your lists... another great
>song, one of the best on WCD. WHy was it never a single!?!??

It *was* a single (in Canada, at least).

The Christopher Currie

Kevin A. Douglas

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

Lily White wrote:

> And for those including Never A Time in your lists... another great
> song, one of the best on WCD. WHy was it never a single!?!??

'NaT' WAS released as a single in N. America, and did respectably I
believe. Why the hell was 'Tell Me Why' released as a single in the UK?

KD

\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
Political correctness means always having to say you're sorry.

Filip Tack

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

Lily White wrote:
> 'More Fool Me' (and, indeed 'For Absent Friends') is also awful.....

These are two little, minimal, acoustic songs that contrast marvellously
with the large epic songs in the context of the albums. It is only
illustrative for the tremendous versatility of Genesis at that time and,
to me, these two songs are little gems.

Filip Tack

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

MikeySenft wrote:

> 1) Hold On My Heart
> 2) Hold On My Heart
> 3) Hold On My Heart
> 4) Hold On My Heart
> 5) (Tie) In Too Deep, Never A Time, Illegal Alien
>
> MIKEEEYYY!!!

Hold On My Heart is a perfect continuation on the instumental break of
Living Forever. It is emotional without being mealy (is this the good
word in English to say what I mean?) and as quality slow song rivals
Against All Odds. To me, the instrumental Living Forever followed by
Hold On My Heart is a highlight in the We Can't Dance album and for me
was a sign that Genesis, in making music, was progressing on its way of
getting it right again after the ABACAB fall. Other examples of this
positive evolution, IMHO, were 'Driving the Last Spike' and to a lesser
extent 'Fading Light'. That's why I was sorry when Phil decided to
leave, but that was the subject of another tread.

MikeySenft

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

>Hold On My Heart is a perfect continuation on the instumental break of
>Living Forever. It is emotional without being mealy (is this the good
>word in English to say what I mean?) and as quality slow song rivals
>Against All Odds. To me, the instrumental Living Forever followed by
>Hold On My Heart is a highlight in the We Can't Dance album and for me
>was a sign that Genesis, in making music, was progressing on its way of
>getting it right again after the ABACAB fall. Other examples of this
>positive evolution, IMHO, were 'Driving the Last Spike' and to a lesser
>extent 'Fading Light'. That's why I was sorry when Phil decided to
>leave, but that was the subject of another tread.
I completely agree with you on every song (except HOMH). I'd also
include Dreaming While YOu Sleep, On The Shoreline, and even No Son Of
Mine as quality product from WCD. I still can't stand HOMH, though.

MIKEEEYYY!!!

BorisBoy

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

1. Whodunnit
2. Drum Duet
3.
4.
5.

And _No_Son_Of_Mine_ is a non-favorite of mine, but hardly a bad,
much less worst, song.

Adam Spiegel

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

Yes Filip, I must agree, Hold on my Heart is by no means one of the
worst Genesis songs. It is actually rather brilliantly done. Mikey
just because you have absolutely no feeling doesnt mean you should
bash this song. It is a very touching track. And yes again Phil will
definitely be missed.

Lily White

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Filip Tack <Filip...@rug.ac.be> wrote...

Yeah, but the vocals were shit.

--
"Intruder come and he leave his mark" (P.Gabriel, Intruder)
"Just another gypsy with a plastic guitar" (N.Peart, You Bet Your Life)

Lily White

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, "Kevin A. Douglas" <dou...@ap.stmarys.ca> wrote...

>'NaT' WAS released as a single in N. America, and did respectably I
>believe. Why the hell was 'Tell Me Why' released as a single in the UK?

More to the point, why was it even recorded! :)

SMITH DAVID LORNE

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

In message Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:10:04 +0100,
Lily White <li...@crusher.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Nightfly <dell...@eng.usf.edu> wrote...
>
>>WORST GENESIS SONGS:
>> 1) I can't Dance
>>

> What a superb single. Sheer genius. How can you not like that one?
>

> And for those including Never A Time in your lists... another great
> song, one of the best on WCD. WHy was it never a single!?!??

It was actually.... I remember it made it on a top 20 late show on CBC here
in Canada. But a video was never made -they just showed the video from "Hold
on my Heart" while playing NAT.

David L. Smith
University College of Cape Breton

Zeus

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Never a Time was also a single here in the US. I think it was one of the
last singles released from the album.

Zeus

Roz Gibson

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

I always hated "Snowbound".

And "Paperlate"

"Can-Utility" is pretty lame too.

The Occational Lurker
R. Gibson

Christopher Veneziale

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <4t4fr5$n...@frodo.smartlink.net> Roz Gibson wrote:
>I always hated "Snowbound".
>
>And "Paperlate"
>
>"Can-Utility" is pretty lame too.

I agree with you on the 1st 2, but not that last one. The guitar
intertwining is really cool with the Mellotron.
I would say "Snowbound" amd "Paperlate" are pretty sucky. To this
I would also add "WhoDunnit", "Misunderstanding" and "Invisible
Touch" (I could have sworn Phil was singing, "She seems to have an
invisible top shed!" What the fuck is a top shed anyway?)
Mikael

HVanDorn

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

"Can-Utility" is pretty lame too.

The Occational Lurker
R. Gibson

We're two totally different people, Dude. The imagery there, as well as
the fascinating chord progressions (How does Tony do it?) make Can-Utility
and the Coastliners one of the all-time great songs on MY list.

Also, years ago, before my wife and I married, we were having problems. I
dreamt that we were talking (making nice) while Can-Utility and the
Coastliners was playing in the background.

In other news, I once flipped a Volkswagen while "It" from The Lamb was
playing. I still can't listen to it.

Hannibal Van Dorn

HVanDorn

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

MikeySenft wrote:

> 1) Hold On My Heart
> 2) Hold On My Heart
> 3) Hold On My Heart
> 4) Hold On My Heart
> 5) (Tie) In Too Deep, Never A Time, Illegal Alien

Tony was very proud that he snuck some very cool chord progressions past
Mike and Phil on Hold on my Heart. I don't know about y'all (I'm in
Alabama), but it was about six months after We Can't Dance came out before
I even noticed how bad most of the lyrics were. My assumption (later
corrected) was that Phil wrote the lyrics on 1-4, Mike on 5-8, Tony on
9-12. It turned out (as those of you who are more knowledgeable than
myself pointed out so eagerly) that Phil wrote almost all the lyrics.

So give Tony a break. It's not his fault Phil's lyrical style has
regressed since his first album in 1981 (which is pretty good, In My
Opinion (IAIA -- I'm against internet abbreviations)).

My top five worst songs are (and some are not bad)

1. Whodunnit -- a musical experiment gone horribly wrong. The live
version with Mike on drums and Tony on guitar is pretty cool, though.

2. The Waiting Room -- just making noise while Pete changes costumes.

3. Robbery, Assault, & Battery -- It's just disconcerting to listen to.
If you've ever heard any Brand X, it reminds me of them (and that's not a
good thing!)

4. No Son of Mine -- Phil's lyrics ruin an otherwise great musical
arrangement

5. Me And Virgil -- SAD. If they'd had CDs in 1981, though, it would've
been on ABACAB.

Hannibal Van Dorn

fre...@ica.net

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

> the fascinating chord progressions (How does Tony do it?) make Can-Utility
> and the Coastliners one of the all-time great songs on MY list.

I totally agree,
Can-utility Kicks Ass!!!!

Patrick Beane

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

I put Can Utility on all my "Greatest of Genesis" tapes

Anyway, for the worst

Hold on to My Heart
Illegal Alien
Invisible Touch
Follow You, Follow Me (although my uncle had it in his wedding!)
Since I've lost you

Also, why did Collins/Genesis screw up the great songs by working them
into worthless medleys? I'd much rather here all of a 10-minuter than a
bastardized version of three crammed together.

Lilian White

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Patrick Beane <AYQ...@prodigy.com> wrote...

>Also, why did Collins/Genesis screw up the great songs by working them
>into worthless medleys? I'd much rather here all of a 10-minuter than a
>bastardized version of three crammed together.

I'd have thought that was obvious.

Filip Tack

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Well, times have a-changed and I felt a little bit depressed on the last
Genesis concert: everybody around me was junping and dancing on 'Land of
Confusion' and 'No son of mine'. When the meddley began, they were just
staring: didn't know the music at all and waited until it was over ...
The public has drastically changed and so has Genesis.

Robert J. Adamson

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

In article <3208BD...@rug.ac.be>, Filip...@rug.ac.be says...

>Lilian White wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Patrick Beane <AYQ...@prodigy.com> wrote...
>> >
>> >Also, why did Collins/Genesis screw up the great songs by working them
>> >into worthless medleys? I'd much rather here all of a 10-minuter than a
>> >bastardized version of three crammed together.
Actually, IMHO, I *really* liked the "medleys". I tended to think of them as
more of an overture kind of thing. In particular on "Wind & Wuthering" where
they borrow the least from the other songs on the record (I forget the actual
name of the track). "Los Endos" isn't bad, although perhaps a little
"obvious" sounding. But it made for a great closing piece on "Seconds Out"
with the extra drummer (The ubiquitous Mr. Thompson I belive). "Dukes
Travels" has some good musical moments in it as well IMHO. This was the last
one that I know of, given that ABACAB was the last Gensis album I purchased
(and boy, did I regret it ! :)

>> I'd have thought that was obvious.

<RESPONSE SNIPPED - SORRY>

Rob Adamson
(an older gensis fan :)

If you understand, things are as they are;
If you do not understand, things are as they are.
-Zen proverb

Sharky

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Robert J. Adamson wrote:

> Actually, IMHO, I *really* liked the "medleys". I tended to think of them as
> more of an overture kind of thing.

I agree.

Ive come to look forward to the medleys at the concerts. They're moving
away from
their older stuff in leaps and bounds (a trend that will probably be
more pronounced
now) and the medleys have often been the only source of the stuff I
really want to hear. Better a 20 minute bastardization of a half dozen
tunes all rolled into one than hearing nothing of them at all.

With some of the outrageous times these guys play to, developing the
medleys have become a science, and I've always been amazed at some of
the workings they've come up with.

Sharky

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Robert J. Adamson wrote:

I agree.

Sharky

Joe Thomas

Oct 5, 2020, 6:56:05 PM10/5/20
this is the best thing i've ever read

Rink

Nov 1, 2020, 3:39:24 PM11/1/20
Op 6-10-2020 om 0:56 schreef Joe Thomas:
> this is the best thing i've ever read

That is not possible !

Where did you read this?