Top5 WORST Erasure songs

Howard Tung

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

OK, granted, there's no Erasure song out there that's truly horrible, but
here's a list of my top 5 LEAST favorite (most annoying)! BTW, let's try
to keep this list free of b-sides, rarities, etc....only main tracks on
their full-length CD's and EP's (I suupose the only valid EP's are
Crackers... and Abba-esque).

1) 2000 Miles
2) Knocking on Your Door
3) So the Story Goes
4) Who Needs Love Like That
5) River Deep, Mountain High

Eek out these songs and EVERYTHING Erasure has done has been stellar!

--
-- --
-- --

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Inventor of Fake Transparencies-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"The jerk store just called...they said they ran out of YOU."
- George Costanza - "Seinfeld"

Privatear

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Gee, I have yet to hear an Erasure song I haven't liked!

Howard Tung

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

I used to think "La Gloria" was one of their worst songs for a while.
However, it started to grow on me after a while...now I kinda like hearing
that song. I really dislike STSG mainly because of Andy's high-pitched
falsetto whining of the chorus. ("Feeeeeeel your heart....") His
falsetto moments have always been great ("Blues"), but for some reason,
it sounds heinous on this song. Oh well, I take nothing away from ISISIS,
however. It's probably their second-greatest effort ("Erasure" is tops on
my list!)

DaveKCMO (dave...@aol.com) wrote:
: I would consider "La Gloria" the WORST Erasure song on the books.
: "Knocking on Your Door" is right up there, too. But "So The Story Goes" is
: one of the high points on ISISIS! It adds to the fairy-tale charm of the
: album.

er...@aol.com

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

In article <5evjr9$o2u$1...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, ez05...@dale.ucdavis.edu (Howard Tung) writes:

>OK, granted, there's no Erasure song out there that's truly horrible, but
>here's a list of my top 5 LEAST favorite (most annoying)! BTW, let's try
>to keep this list free of b-sides, rarities, etc....only main tracks on
>their full-length CD's and EP's (I suupose the only valid EP's are
>Crackers... and Abba-esque).
>
>1) 2000 Miles
>2) Knocking on Your Door
>3) So the Story Goes
>4) Who Needs Love Like That
>5) River Deep, Mountain High
>
>Eek out these songs and EVERYTHING Erasure has done has been stellar!

If I were to make this list, there would only be 2 songs on it:

1- No GDM
2- 2000 Miles

Other than those two, I LOVE everything Erasure has done/will do

Robert
---------------------------------

"a short story is like a quick kiss in the dark from a stranger. That is not, of course, the same thing as an affair or a marriage, but kisses can be sweet, and their very brevity forms their own attraction"----Stephan King

DaveKCMO

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Dam...@xmission.com

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

If I were to make a list, only 2 songs would be on it:

1. Knocking On Your Door
2. Say What

But 2000 Miles is one of my favorites. It's a little cheesy in parts
but the rest is spectacular (in my most humble opinion). <G>

--
** dam...@xmission.com
** http://www.xmission.com/~damian/

PLIV...@maine.maine.edu

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

So the Story Goes is probably the low point of ISISIS for me, but
the discordance at the end, as hard as it is to listen to, leads
spectacularly into Run to the Sun... excellent mood creation.

2000 miles used be a skipped track, but the stuff grew on me and now
I think its pretty good, if a bit silly. La Gloria is still a skipper-
just can't take it. The rest of Wild! is superb.

As far as other bad tracks go, some of Vince's instrumentals are hard
to enjoy: Say what and Vitamin C, primarily. I used to feel that way
about Snappy, too, but I eventually got into its groove. They're
nevertheless a lot better than many of the mixes that get thrown on
to the singles.

Paul

Luluwhite

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

DaveKCMO wrote

>I would consider La Gloria the WORST Erasure song on the books

Kudos to you! I agree hands down. LA GLORIA gets the ax.

Mattias Möller

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

<PLIV...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> wrote:

>As far as other bad tracks go, some of Vince's instrumentals are hard
>to enjoy: Say what and Vitamin C, primarily. I used to feel that way
>about Snappy, too, but I eventually got into its groove. They're
>nevertheless a lot better than many of the mixes that get thrown on
>to the singles.

I agree on that one.

But I like 2000 miles, So The Story Goes and all the songs on Crackers
International. I can't see what's bad about them. My list in no
specific order would rather be:

La Gloria
Sweet, Sweet Baby
No GDM
Vitamin C
Dodo

But generally most of the later remixes are even worse. I still have
to buy all the CD singles, because of songs like "Dreamlike State",
"Runaround on the underground", "Tenderest Moments", "In The Name Of
The Heart" etc.

--
(V)attias (V)öller

Necromancer

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

On 25 Feb 1997 20:59:21 GMT, ez05...@dale.ucdavis.edu (Howard Tung)
wrote:

>OK, granted, there's no Erasure song out there that's truly horrible, but
>here's a list of my top 5 LEAST favorite (most annoying)! BTW, let's try
>to keep this list free of b-sides, rarities, etc....only main tracks on
>their full-length CD's and EP's (I suupose the only valid EP's are
>Crackers... and Abba-esque).
>
>1) 2000 Miles
>2) Knocking on Your Door
>3) So the Story Goes
>4) Who Needs Love Like That
>5) River Deep, Mountain High
>
>Eek out these songs and EVERYTHING Erasure has done has been stellar!
>

>--
>-- --
>-- --
>Howard Tung Sun Microsystems
>htt...@ucdavis.edu howar...@eng.sun.com
>
>-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Inventor of Fake Transparencies-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
>
>"The jerk store just called...they said they ran out of YOU."
> - George Costanza - "Seinfeld"

Ok...I can agree with people having particular songs on albums that
they don't care for....but if you're going to make a list of them,
there is one rule that *must* be followed, and I don't care what you
say, it is in stone now so you must follow it....if you don't believe
me I can mail you my 20 pound stone tablet with this rule engraved on
it...=)...The only rule is....no slow songs can be on these "worst E
song" lists....the only reason is, because every single E song that I
have heard that is slow, seems to pick one emotion and exploits and
rips and shreds at it until you are bawling in tears...any song that
can make you sit for hours on end with that one song on constant
repeat cannot be considered bad....Am I Right?, Rock Me Gently,
Home...jeez...the first time I heard these songs, I was drowning in
tears just because of the emotional content in them....*sheesh*, even
thinking about them as I type this, I'm getting teary-eyed....I only
wish that I could have the talents that Andy and Vince have to be able
to make people feel things that they have never felt before and to
make people so emotional while *listening* to a song, that they can't
even listen to the song anymore just because it hurts too much....all
I can say is....yowza....

--Necromancer

/-----------------------------------------------------\
|"And I dream you're with me, you hold me sweetly, |
| and rock me gently to sleep in your arms." -- Erasure|
|"You are the perfect drug, the perfect drug, |
| the perfect drug." -- Trent Reznor, Nine Inch Nails |
|"You cannot sedate all the things you hate..." |
| -- Rev. Marilyn Manson |
| Necromancer signing off.....necro@usit.net |
| http://www.usit.net/~necro |
| Signature version 0.6c |
\-----------------------------------------------------/

Derek Glen

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

PLIV...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU wrote:

> 2000 miles used be a skipped track, but the stuff grew on me and now
> I think its pretty good, if a bit silly. La Gloria is still a skipper-
> just can't take it. The rest of Wild! is superb.

La Gloria is *great*! Actually, I like pretty much everything on Wild!
And that's from someone who has been into Erasure since before The
Circus! I was sure once The Innocents came out that things would go
downhill from there, and that 'Hallowed Ground' and 'Weight of The World'
would be the best thing they ever did... but I am pleased to report that
Wild! (and in fact *most* of Chorus and ISISIS) bettered expectation -
especially 'Blue Savannah', 'Piano Song' and 'How Many Times'.

FWIW,

Degsy,

Derek Glen

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Iain Morgan McDonald

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

La Gloria? Worst song?

It seems I'm in the minority here but I think it's quite good if a little
different.
I don't know if I have a worst song but I've never been too keen on Am I
Right? (I can see quite a few people will disagree with me though)

Iain

ps Will someone reply to my Fav Song? email please?!

Sinead Caulfield

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

> ps Will someone reply to my Fav Song? email please?!

my favourite song is "Take Me Back"
Sinead.

MARZY101

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Lets face it ,they have had some songs that were not so great. I would
have to say my favorite song would have to be Blue Savanah...I know it is
Andy's favorite!!
Scott

Dana Reid-Vanas

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:07:06 +0000, Iain Morgan McDonald
<im...@st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:

>La Gloria? Worst song?

No way. La Gloria is an awesome song. It may not be an erasure
sounding song, but its cool to see them experiment and try new ways of
making music. A lot of Wild! is different from typical erasure. La
Gloria, 2000 Miles, and Crown of Thorns, may not be my their best
songs, but they are on my list of favorites, a lot becasue they are so
different.

Howard Tung

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

I'll give you Crown of Thorns and La Gloria....but how can anyone consider
2000 Miles one of their great songs????? The lyrics are as cheesy as I've
ever heard (and what's with Andy's embarrasing "woo-woo" train
impersonation?).

I think Crown of Thorns is a great song and I don't think anyone on here
has said anything bad about it in the first place. La Gloria has had
mixed reactions...I personally enjoy the song. 2000 Miles, however, is a
completely different story. Heck, I'd almost rather listen to "No GDM" a
million times than 2000 Miles.

Dana Reid-Vanas (dthe...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:07:06 +0000, Iain Morgan McDonald

Akira

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Yes! I would have to agree with this one. Even all the promo versions of
this song are great.

MARZY101 <marz...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970310001...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Dana Reid-Vanas

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Umm... 2000 Miles rocks. The whole Wild! album is awesome. Except
for The Innocents, no other erasure album has so many good songs on
it. I know people like some of the tracks appearing earlier on the
album, like Blue Savanah and Drama!, but the last couple of tracks are
just as good. In 2000 Miles Andy is being sassy, and Vince is just
rocking out on the keyboards. The lyrics, while not incredible, I
think are representative of the mood of this song. Andy says, "You've
been bitching at me for a while," and now he's bitching back. So it
isn't poetry, but when you're pissed off at someone, I know I don't
break out into spontaneous poetry. I think this song is very
emotional, and an exploration of sort of an anti-love song. It's a
great song, and also fits perfectly with the spirit of the album.

On 11 Mar 1997 21:43:06 GMT, ez05...@dale.ucdavis.edu (Howard Tung)
wrote:

>I'll give you Crown of Thorns and La Gloria....but how can anyone consider

idle spam

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

In article <3329e6f1....@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, dthe...@ix.netcom.com
(Dana Reid-Vanas) wrote:

> So it
> isn't poetry, but when you're pissed off at someone, I know I don't
> break out into spontaneous poetry.

But what better time to break out into spontaneous poetry?
I find that quotes from Shakespeare are particularly effective.

:)

--
Chris Thomas, anti-spam crusader

bridgem...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2018, 1:42:47 AM8/15/18
La Gloria is awesome. It reminds me of a fun little song song at a cantina I can see Andy belting this out with a sombrero and a dress on.

Who needs love like that..... really? It's the song that put them on the map.

2000 miles...another awesome song.

No G.D.M. is probably the only one I cannot stomach.

bridgem...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2018, 1:43:42 AM8/15/18
I like the alternative version of because you're so sweet.

Hugo Fernbom

Dec 29, 2018, 7:07:01 AM12/29/18
I'm surprised nobody mentiond "Sixty-Five Thousand" in this thread!

"La Gloria" is not good, but I have trouble finding 5 songs I dislike, at
least from 1985-1997 only.

If I include the last 20 years I would say that "Gaudate" is their worst
single.

--
Hugo Fernbom

http://www.fernbom.com/hugo/

fabian.i...@globant.com

Jan 22, 2020, 7:28:05 AM1/22/20
I came here googling "La Gloria worst Erasure song". I think it's absolutely terrible. I always thought the lyrics are about making fun of the Spanish culture. IMHO, not only is it the worst Erasure song, but also the worst by any artist. I hate it.

--

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential. It has been
sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this

La información
contenida en este mensaje puede ser confidencial. Ha sido enviada para el
uso exclusivo del destinatario(s) previsto. Si el lector de este mensaje no
fuera el destinatario previsto, por el presente queda Ud. notificado que
cualquier lectura, uso, publicación, diseminación, distribución o copiado
de esta comunicación o su contenido está estrictamente prohibido. En caso
de que Ud. hubiera recibido este mensaje por error le agradeceremos
notificarnos por e-mail inmediatamente y eliminarlo de su sistema. Muchas
gracias.

zoomzoomr

Jun 28, 2020, 2:12:50 AM6/28/20
As a huge fan since the mid-1980s (and of Yaz and Depeche Mode even before that) I came here trying to find out what has happened to Erasure's music in the last 10 years or so.. musically, they are now so spare and minimal as to be done on a kid's keyboard in the basement, and lyrically they are absolutely awful.. completely banal with no rhyme or much reason. I'll still go to see them perform live any opportunity I get, but I can't bear to listen to any album they've released post-Light at the End of the World from beginning to end. Am I the only one?