Request : your personal impressions on Orbital's “Halcyon”

Philippe

Dec 6, 2012, 3:39:54 AM12/6/12
Hi everybody,
I teach cultural studies at an English department in a French University and I am currently writing an article nostalgy in electronic music and more precisely in Orbital’s track “Halcyon” . So I am particularly concerned with the song’s reception, both at the moment of its release (for those who remember that) and at other moments, including the present: how it was and is perceived by different people, in short.
What I would like to know is whether you find it pleasurable, nostalgia-inducing, harrowing, stimulating, cynical, or whatever you feel when you hear it. Do you enjoy it in the moment as it is, or is the pleasure or emotion it procures related to the situation when you first heard it, what it stood for at the time?
Is the sample of OPUS III’ “It’s a Fine Day” problematic for you or is it part of the interest of the song?
Do you place both songs in the same league, and were you equally into “It’s a Fine Day” or do you find the reference to OPUS III problematic ? This is just a suggestion; I am mentioning it because a number of posts on various forums seem to reflect that idea.
Thank you all for your understanding. Cheers
(Oh, and afterwards I will show you what I have written, of course !)

Philippe

Philippe

Dec 12, 2012, 3:36:40 AM12/12/12
I forgot my address : bi...@univ-tlse2.fr