Why Doesn't MTV Play Music Videos Anymore?

瀏覽次數:5 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

TMC

未讀,
2012年11月11日 凌晨2:14:162012/11/11
收件者:
http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=456009

« Reply #1 Yesterday at 9:25pm »
That's such a good explanation that I'm not sure if it's fake or not
lol.

To be fair, MTV does still air music videos. They just put them on
during the small hours of the night when nobody watches them. Nobody
in their right mind is going to stay up until 3 AM just to see a music
video when odds are they have an Internet-ready device less than 5
feet away from them.

« Reply #2 Yesterday at 10:00pm »
If the stuff on now didn't get good ratings they'd pull it. So to me
it's not so much that no one is buying music like they used to, but as
they explained themselves, they get better ratings when they have full
shows as opposed to a video that lasts 3 minutes

« Reply #6 Yesterday at 10:18pm »
Oh sure, blame the audience for your descent into suck. Was that Lars
Ulrich's brother?

Rhino

未讀,
2012年11月11日 上午9:21:572012/11/11
收件者:

"TMC" <tmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=456009

� Reply #1 Yesterday at 9:25pm �
That's such a good explanation that I'm not sure if it's fake or not
lol.

To be fair, MTV does still air music videos. They just put them on
during the small hours of the night when nobody watches them.

==
Rhino> The other place they put them is DURING scripted programs. Take a
look at Underemployed for example, which frequently plays some obscure (to
me) song during the episode and tells you exactly what the song is at the
bottom of the screen.

Of course, strictly speaking, these are actually music videos in the sense
of being both a song and video of people performing the same song, but it is
quite distracting at times when the music half drowns out the dialog of the
program.
==

the dog from that film you saw

未讀,
2012年11月11日 上午9:33:182012/11/11
收件者:
surely the point is, there was once one mtv channel, now there are many.
some show nothing but music, others show other stuff.
even here in the uk i can flick between about 10 mtv channels showing
music videos right now - presumably the people who say they dont show
them anymore think there's just one channel and never watch it anyway.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.

Dano

未讀,
2012年11月11日 上午11:35:382012/11/11
收件者:
"the dog from that film you saw" wrote in message

You get ten eh? I'm jealous. On Verizon FIOS here in the states we also
have a couple of HD options...mostly of various concerts. There is one that
airs almost all newer videos that aren't my taste. I'd love a VH1 Classic
channel. I record the best and try to keep few saved on our rather massive
hard drive on the DVR. Good for background when I'm not really watching
closely and just want something on mostly.

the dog from that film you saw

未讀,
2012年11月11日 上午11:42:432012/11/11
收件者:
On 11/11/2012 16:35, Dano wrote:

> surely the point is, there was once one mtv channel, now there are many.
> some show nothing but music, others show other stuff.
> even here in the uk i can flick between about 10 mtv channels showing
> music videos right now - presumably the people who say they dont show
> them anymore think there's just one channel and never watch it anyway.

> You get ten eh? I'm jealous. On Verizon FIOS here in the states we
> also have a couple of HD options...mostly of various concerts. There is
> one that airs almost all newer videos that aren't my taste. I'd love a
> VH1 Classic channel. I record the best and try to keep few saved on our
> rather massive hard drive on the DVR. Good for background when I'm not
> really watching closely and just want something on mostly.

Just checking we have.....

MTV MUSIC
MTV BASE (for that nasty american rap/hip hop soul stuff)
MTV HITS
MTV DANCE
MTV ROCKS
MTV CLASSIC
VH1
VIVA
MTV LIVE
MTV LIVE HD

and then MTV SHOWS - which airs the stuff that MTV seems to in the states.
then there's 22 non MTV music channels showing the full gamut of stuff -
metal channel, dance channels, indian music, oldies, middle of the road,
you name it.

TMC

未讀,
2012年11月12日 凌晨1:56:332012/11/12
收件者:
On Nov 10, 11:14 pm, TMC <tmc1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=disp...
http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2012/11/network-head-explains-why-mtv-doesnt-show-music-video-anymore/

“Why doesn’t MTV play music videos anymore” is right up there with
“rock ‘n’ roll hasn’t been good since the 1960s” and “ketchup is
superior to barbeque sauce” for statements that make me want to pick
out my ears and eyes with one of Madonna’s cone bras. 5 Second Films’
Brian Firenzi and Maria Del Carmen evidently feel the same way, and
they recorded a video explaining why MTV has gone from “Jersey Shore”
to Jersey Shore.

https://twitter.com/brian_and_maria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzjrsI9mj3E

In short: it’s our f*cking fault. And even if MTV did air videos
(which would be dumb because, YouTube), they wouldn’t feature “cool,”
yet largely unknown artists like Beach House or Titus Andronicus;
they’d pick the Justin Biebers and Katy Perrys of the world, over and
over and over again. It’s tough to fault them, too: MTV knows what
they’re doing; they’re a successful company, and are meeting the
demands of the market, which wants more 16 and Pregnant and less Tame
Impala. (For what it’s worth, Awkward. is pretty great.) But better
let Firenzi explain it by seeing your nostalgia for Sisqo videos on
TRL, and wiping his bum bum song with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rXHiT5NuYQ

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2012/11/network-head-explains-why-mtv-doesnt-show-music-video-anymore/#ixzz2BzNFJhKX
0 則新訊息